Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, iTunes and iOS8 have a syncing problem where the songs are on your phone, but greyed out in the music app, therefor taking up "Other" and being unplayable. The only option is to sync over and over until it works (yeah it loving sucks).

I don't understand how Apple lets this happen. 76GB of "Other" isn't acceptable. Why offer a 128GB phone if your locked-down method of file management is something your only syncing method literally cannot handle? I've always been pretty ecosystem-agnostic (I use Android and iOS devices rather interchangeably because, if you're mainly using Goggle services and manual media management, switching devices is just a matter of swapping the SIM out) but this is really making me lean towards getting a Nexus 6 and selling this thing. I have a 1.5hr one-way commute three days a week and having my music at hand is about the only thing that prevents me from ending up on the news. And no, I have zero interest in any streaming services and iTunes Match/Cloud blows, it has never worked great due to dead zones on my commute.

Goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It is indeed a pile of horseshit, but that's iTunes for ya.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't done it with iOS 8 so can't say if it will help, but under iOS 7 when I did a restore of my iPhone all my music would be categorized as "other" until I fired up the 'iTunes Store' app and did something that required me to type in my password.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

smr posted:

I don't understand how Apple lets this happen. 76GB of "Other" isn't acceptable. Why offer a 128GB phone if your locked-down method of file management is something your only syncing method literally cannot handle? I've always been pretty ecosystem-agnostic (I use Android and iOS devices rather interchangeably because, if you're mainly using Goggle services and manual media management, switching devices is just a matter of swapping the SIM out) but this is really making me lean towards getting a Nexus 6 and selling this thing. I have a 1.5hr one-way commute three days a week and having my music at hand is about the only thing that prevents me from ending up on the news. And no, I have zero interest in any streaming services and iTunes Match/Cloud blows, it has never worked great due to dead zones on my commute.

Goddammit.

Yeah, a wipe/reset seemed to make syncing better for me, but I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before it all goes south again. (also part of the bigass phone/capacity krew) :(

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Im getting my verizon 6+ in the mail today. Anything special I need to know about setting up or activating it?

Also my 5 is still on ios7. Am i going to have to update it to 8 in order to use the backup to setup my new phone?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Have any other iPhone 6+ owners noticed some weirdness to scrolling in apps? This doesn't seem to happen all of the time, but I will notice if I am scrolling with my finger and just hold my finger in place it will start to jitter up and down by like 10 pixels, like it doesn't realize my finger is in one place. When this happens if I scrub my finger up and down to scroll the phone will eventually just forget that I was scrolling at all and wont recognize any input until I lift up my finger and try again. Like I said it doesn't happen all of the time, otherwise I would have already taken it in to be replaced. I don't want to bring it in and not be able to show them what's happening and wind up wasting my time.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Have any other iPhone 6+ owners noticed some weirdness to scrolling in apps? This doesn't seem to happen all of the time, but I will notice if I am scrolling with my finger and just hold my finger in place it will start to jitter up and down by like 10 pixels, like it doesn't realize my finger is in one place. When this happens if I scrub my finger up and down to scroll the phone will eventually just forget that I was scrolling at all and wont recognize any input until I lift up my finger and try again. Like I said it doesn't happen all of the time, otherwise I would have already taken it in to be replaced. I don't want to bring it in and not be able to show them what's happening and wind up wasting my time.

Used to happen in the App Store for me constantly. Haven't seen it recently anywhere. Try it there.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Keystoned posted:

Also my 5 is still on ios7. Am i going to have to update it to 8 in order to use the backup to setup my new phone?

My 4 was still on ios6 and it backed up and restored to my 6+ with no problems.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, a wipe/reset seemed to make syncing better for me, but I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before it all goes south again. (also part of the bigass phone/capacity krew) :(

Man, I do not want to lose my Two Dots progress :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What I ended up doing, (which was flaky at first, but has stabilized) is this:

Get some kind of iPhone file browser. On Mac, I used PhoneBrowse.
Delete all the mp3s from the phone.
Delete iTunes_Control/iTunes/MediaLibrary.sqlitedb

Resync your phone. You may have to make a new playlist to make it see that the media isn't right. I had it sync a new video file, and then it found it wasn't synced with the music. The "Other" disappeared after this.

Now about a day or two went by where it wasn't syncing properly. However, after that (I was waiting to getting around to rebuild my iTunes library on my Mac, and procrastinating on that) it did another 1,000+ song sync again, and it's been fine again. I'm not sure what caused that second sync, but it's been fixed since.

I've also turned off wifi sync just in case too. Sometimes I still get a "Waiting for changes to apply", but after a minute or two it finishes. My last sync was done in seconds.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My iPhone 6+ arrives Tuesday and I have yet to think of a good case.

What are your recommendations for something durable? I like my Otterbox on my 4s. Otterboxes still good?

I loved my 5 otterbox defender. But the amazon reviews are reporting that the screen protector for the 6+ one is hosed up and doesn't lay flush. Gonna get AppleCare+ and hold off on a Defender for a few months in hope they unfuck it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
During the OSX beta, a common itunes 12 bug was the inability to properly sync items on playlists (music or podcasts). There really was no fix I found (although I didn't go as far as IUG) other than eventually the sync just took. It still seems to be a problem here and there, fortunately much less often for me, not so much for you.

Have you tried: just unchecking the playlists, syncing some items through other means (like, sync all items from an album, or something of that nature), and then resyncing the playlist after some of the music on there successfully syncs?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Is there some sort of bug with location based reminders with either the 6 series or iOS 8? I set a lot of reminders for when I get home and this worked great on my 5S. Now, with my Plus it seems to trip way, way off. Sometimes miles away.

Anyone else seeing this?

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I remember someone mentioning many pages ago that this might be something to do with the way the 6+ scales old apps. Does it happen in old apps that haven't been updated to support the higher resolutions, or does it happen in any app or an updated app? I do remember this happening when I had a 6+ sometimes, but I returned that thing for a 6 because it was way too big for me. (TWSS)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I've seen it happen in updated apps like Twitter and Instagram.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Would Hue's widget really add significant battery drain? It says 7% (of a 6+ battery) since last night or whatever. I've launched the app like once to turn some lights on.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Welp it finally happened. Had an iPhone 5 since they came out and it has stayed in pristine condition without a case this whole time. Today my luck ran out. It slipped out of my pocket as I got in the car and then I proceeded to run it over. :negative:

So I was looking for a new phone, and I am eligible for an upgrade. Its trying to get me to do this payment plan thing for the 6 at 21$ a month for 30 months (650$).

Is there a better/cheaper way to do this? We have had a family contract with ATT since our first cell phones so there must be some way to not get hosed for 650?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AT&T *should* let you use a subsidy, but those are really going the way of the dodo. Depending on the amount of data in your plan, it should also drop your monthly access charge by $15-25, so it may actually come out in your favor vs. paying $200 up front.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Endless Mike posted:

AT&T *should* let you use a subsidy, but those are really going the way of the dodo. Depending on the amount of data in your plan, it should also drop your monthly access charge by $15-25, so it may actually come out in your favor vs. paying $200 up front.

I wish any of what you said made sense to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AT&T has changed the way they do smart phones. You buy a data plan (they all have unlimited talk and text), and you buy a phone.

If you but the phone with a subsidy price, you pay $200/whatever up front, and you have an additional $25/month added on to your bill.
If you buy the phone via AT&T Next, you get an extra discount ($15-$25), but you pay the monthly payment for the phone. You also don't have to pay an activation fee, but you do have to pay for the full sales tax (which is more than the $40 activation).
If you buy the phone outright, you don't get the discount but you also don't pay the extra $25/month from the subsidy pricing.

It all comes out about the same, but it's pretty lovely that no matter how you do it, you're paying more now than before if you were getting a subsidy priced phone before the monthly fee. Offsetting the subsidy pricing with the $25 a month fee is loving bullshit.

My iPhone 5 was $200 with a 2 year contract, and my monthly bill was $67. Now, no matter which option I choose above, my monthly average is going to be around $90-100.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 11, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

It all comes out about the same, but it's pretty lovely that no matter how you do it, you're paying more now than before if you were getting a subsidy priced phone before the monthly fee. Offsetting the subsidy pricing with the $25 a month fee is loving bullshit.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it but under the new method you'll never pay more than what the phone is worth, which you would be doing if you had a phone under the old subsidized contracts, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, over the 2 years of having my 5, I paid AT&T a total of $1,848 for the device, activation, and monthly bills.

Over the next two years I will pay $2,328 for a device of equal value and the same service. That's a big difference.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow that sounds awful. I have the original AT&T unlimited plan with a $10/mo texting plan (goddamn green bubble friends) and an ancient college discount, for a total of $70/mo. I paid $300 for a 64 Gb iPhone 6 and a $40 upgrade fee. I had no idea modern plans were so bad.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bottom Liner posted:

AT&T has changed the way they do smart phones. You buy a data plan (they all have unlimited talk and text), and you buy a phone.

If you but the phone with a subsidy price, you pay $200/whatever up front, and you have an additional $25/month added on to your bill.
If you buy the phone via AT&T Next, you get an extra discount ($15-$25), but you pay the monthly payment for the phone. You also don't have to pay an activation fee, but you do have to pay for the full sales tax (which is more than the $40 activation).
If you buy the phone outright, you don't get the discount but you also don't pay the extra $25/month from the subsidy pricing.

My iPhone 5 was $200 with a 2 year contract, and my monthly bill was $67. Now, no matter which option I choose above, my monthly average is going to be around $90-100.

Not sure this is entirely correct. When Next was introduced my family plan took on no more additional charges and once we all switched over to next we now take a full discount of $125 per month. The $25 "extra" per month was already being paid since forever, and after the switch is now gone. And thanks to October's extra data everyone is saving a grip and has more data than ever before.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So, how do you upgrade your phone on Next if it's within the time limit you chose? Do you send the phone back? Do you still owe the full price of the phone if you buy another (meaning you'll owe the full price of two phones)?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

So, how do you upgrade your phone on Next if it's within the time limit you chose? Do you send the phone back? Do you still owe the full price of the phone if you buy another (meaning you'll owe the full price of two phones)?

You can get a Next phone anytime you want. It's yours, you pay a 0% loan back to ATT basically. The Next price is the retail price of the phone over 18 or 24 months. If you get another phone you pay both until the allotted payments are finished. You can pay it off and keep it forever or do some sort of trade at some point(unclear on this).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You can get a Next phone anytime you want. It's yours, you pay a 0% loan back to ATT basically. The Next price is the retail price of the phone over 18 or 24 months. If you get another phone you pay both until the allotted payments are finished. You can pay it off and keep it forever or do some sort of trade at some point(unclear on this).

My thing is that a new iPhone comes out roughly every 12 months. If I want to buy one iPhone, the next, and so on, would there be a 6 month period wherein I'm paying off the old phone and then the new one as well or is there something AT&T does to relieve that burden?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You could pay off the old phone and sell it. If it's 18 payments total you'd have $216 left to pay off on a 16gb phone and you could easily sell it for more than that.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

My thing is that a new iPhone comes out roughly every 12 months. If I want to buy one iPhone, the next, and so on, would there be a 6 month period wherein I'm paying off the old phone and then the new one as well or is there something AT&T does to relieve that burden?

There are AT&T Next 12/18/24 plans.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm selling my 5S 64gb in SA mart if you want to avoid ATT shenanigans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Not sure this is entirely correct. When Next was introduced my family plan took on no more additional charges and once we all switched over to next we now take a full discount of $125 per month. The $25 "extra" per month was already being paid since forever, and after the switch is now gone. And thanks to October's extra data everyone is saving a grip and has more data than ever before.

It's literally as simple as mileage will vary based on what the old vs new plan were. Some people saved, some people didn't.

And to also keep it simple: people on old plans should usually do two year contract (still able to do them), people on the new shared plans should do Next.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Another thing in ios8 that didn't exist before that I find undesirable is how when I launch Safari it (often, not always) shows a cached image of a webpage I looked at like s month ago for a split second then shows the right webpage. The gently caress is that about?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goodness posted:

I wish any of what you said made sense to me.

I would recommend you go to the AT&T thread and post your plan and have the people there help you through it. You might find yourself spending less money for the same or better service while not being stuck on a contract.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it simply comes down to: do you still have the old grandfathered unlimited data plan? If you do, you're almost always better off staying with 2 year contracts. Anything else will probably be better switching to Next.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Even then it sucks, because renewing a 2 year contract with a subsidy priced phone adds the new $25 a month charge that's not on Next plans or if you bring your own phone. That's what happened to me, I had no option of getting a new phone without paying more per month.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh. So gently caress ATT then.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Feenix posted:

Another thing in ios8 that didn't exist before that I find undesirable is how when I launch Safari it (often, not always) shows a cached image of a webpage I looked at like s month ago for a split second then shows the right webpage. The gently caress is that about?

I've been seeing a lot of week old tabs flicker in and disappear when I rotate to landscape. That was a little jarring when it first happened.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh. So gently caress ATT then.

always

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Bummey posted:

I've been seeing a lot of week old tabs flicker in and disappear when I rotate to landscape. That was a little jarring when it first happened.

Yep. It is really odd and annoying.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I just realized that regardless of the security I have on my phone (Passcode and Touch ID), it's possible for someone to simply pick it up, hold down the power button, and then shut it off. Takes about five seconds, after which Find my Phone is completely worthless in a "find my poo poo now before they get too far away" kind of way. Because of that, shouldn't powering off be something that requires a passcode? Is this an option I just haven't found yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Someone should put a password on letting the phone run out of battery, too.