Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

What is with the Willingham hate anyway? Fables goes downhill for sure, but the early books are still really good.

Or is it more because Willingham is kinda racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sailor Viy posted:

What is with the Willingham hate anyway? Fables goes downhill for sure, but the early books are still really good.

He crammed his lovely politics right in the middle of one of his books, so it is hard to ignore.
I liked his Merv Pumpkinhead, but that was ages ago and will disappoint if you read it expecting something great.
Fables starts off neat and promising and goes downhill slowly for a very long time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sailor Viy posted:

He's peepeedoodoo and even early Fables isn't as hot on a reread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Literally The Worst posted:

At least we can be comforted knowing that Disney adapted the same basic idea to TV before anything could be done with the Fables property. Now there's no way for it to reach a wider audience.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Nuns with Guns posted:

At least we can be comforted knowing that Disney adapted the same basic idea to TV before anything could be done with the Fables property. Now there's no way for it to reach a wider audience.

It has a video game...it was pretty alright.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Literally The Worst posted:

Yeah putting aside any of the political stuff, from what I remember the dialog is massively expositionary and the characters seem to loose a lot of their "voice" pretty quickly.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I recall loving Fables once upon a time but that was so very long ago, is anyone still reading it and if so do they feel it ever started to improve again at some point?

I have to thank those that pushed The Unwritten in this thread, I'm only 6 issues in but I'm blown away. I love that I've found yet another Vertigo title to gush about and that I have 40+ issues to burn through! I see there are a couple specials are they meant to be read at a particular point in the series or are they standalone?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Fables was ever bad, it was just very uneven. Even if it doesn't hold up on a second reading, it's a book full of great ideas with a very flawed execution and some noted writer baggage. It's passed its peak already, but I still enjoy it, though I wait for trades.

Wolf Among Us is a better take on the concept, and I hope they make more of those.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Corte posted:

I recall loving Fables once upon a time but that was so very long ago, is anyone still reading it and if so do they feel it ever started to improve again at some point?

I really wish I had stopped reading after the Adversary arc ended. I still read it, but I also still watch The Simpsons, so I guess I like to see things through to the end, but if I had the power, I would pull the plug. It's really, really forgettable at its very best.

You also get another Fables crossover event, which was also quite terrible, but it just crossed over with another Fables spinoff, so nothing good was ruined there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Corte posted:

I have to thank those that pushed The Unwritten in this thread, I'm only 6 issues in but I'm blown away. I love that I've found yet another Vertigo title to gush about and that I have 40+ issues to burn through! I see there are a couple specials are they meant to be read at a particular point in the series or are they standalone?

The only Special I recall is The Ship That Sank Twice. If you're reading by TPB volume, read it after volume 8.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I really wish I had stopped reading after the Adversary arc ended.

Every so often at the shop, someone would want to start reading Fables, and I'd give them the same speech every time: "You're going to get to a point that feels like the perfect ending. You're going to go wow, that wrapped up everything, now what? THat's where you stop. Pretend that's the end. You'll be happier."

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So is Fables still going or what? Whats it up to these days?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Pope Guilty posted:

Ennis did Dangerous Habits, which loving rules even if the movie took a poo poo on it, but a good chunk of Ennis' work is illustrated by Steve Dillon, and I simply cannot stand his art.

From a while back, but man my favourite of the Ennis stuff is all drawn by Dillon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Adam Strange posted:

From a while back, but man my favourite of the Ennis stuff is all drawn by Dillon.

Dangerous Habits was Will Simpson, so your opinions are Not The Best. Ennis's entire run after that was either bastard ex machina or "oh look, demon blood again". The Kit one-shot was really good, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adam Strange posted:

I'm assuming this is a complaint? As in, oh my favorite snack is loaded with sodium?

The alternative is that you like Dillon's art, which is ludicrous.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Jedit posted:

Dangerous Habits was Will Simpson, so your opinions are Not The Best. Ennis's entire run after that was either bastard ex machina or "oh look, demon blood again". The Kit one-shot was really good, though.

Nah, Simpson isn't that interesting to me compared to Dillon in the 90's.

and that Kit one-shot is the best

Adam Strange fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 17, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm assuming this is a complaint? As in, oh my favorite snack is loaded with sodium?

Dillon was once touted as the new Brian Bolland. Before he began dialling it in he deserved the title, too. Even after he's still far better than most of the dross out there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dillon would be a lot more tolerable if he'd learn to draw more than about four or five faces. He'd got better by Preacher, but it's amazing, for example, how many women in his Hellblazer run look identical to Tulip.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Dillon would be a lot more tolerable if he'd learn to draw more than about four or five faces. He'd got better by Preacher, but it's amazing, for example, how many women in his Hellblazer run look identical to Tulip.

Actually it's the other way round. Dillon used to draw all kinds of faces, but ended up settling on the same few some time between the midpoint of Hellblazer and issue 6 or 7 of Preacher.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Singling out Dillon when most artists are just as guilty seems a little unfair. You could argue Kirby only really had 3 - derpy swivel-eyed nut; non-derpy; and lady face.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sentinel Red posted:

Singling out Dillon when most artists are just as guilty seems a little unfair. You could argue Kirby only really had 3 - derpy swivel-eyed nut; non-derpy; and lady face.

That's two more then Dillon.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've bought almost everything in the Grant Morrison Vertigo Comixology sale (except Doom Patrol since I own all the trades).

Is Seaguy worth reading? I only ever heard people talk about it when it first came out and even then there wasn't much.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Unmature posted:

I've bought almost everything in the Grant Morrison Vertigo Comixology sale (except Doom Patrol since I own all the trades).

Is Seaguy worth reading? I only ever heard people talk about it when it first came out and even then there wasn't much.

Seaguy is tied with Flex for my favorite Morrison. It has a joy and sense of adventure and growth at its heart. Sadly volume 2 is not collected, but Stewart has said vol 3 will maybe start in 2016, and I am super excited for that

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Unmature posted:

Yeah I'd really recommend it. It's interesting that I didn't overly love the first volume when it came out. It's fun but left me a bit lukewarm. But taken with the second volume, Slaves of Mickey Eye, the themes become a lot clearer (with it being in part about growing up, with volume 1 being man as child and volume 2 being man as adolescent) and the whole thing clicked together for me. I really enjoy it. It has all the regular Morrison stuff in there too, with his commentary on superheroes, corporations and even a bit of his vegetarianism with Xoo = zoo, a stand in for all animals so if you'd enjoyed his other stuff you'll enjoy this. It's very creative, well drawn fun.

Looking forward to that next volume, wish they'd release a proper collection of the 2nd volume.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vert comic out this week called The Kitchen, which I only heard about today in the shipping thread.

It's about a group of mob wives who take over when all of their husbands are arrested. Ming Doyle art.

I'm buying that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Punisher gonna get 'em.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Haha yeah I was gonna say, pretty sure I've seen that before.

Except in that case, the husbands didn't go to jail, they were HORRIBLY MURDERED by Frank.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm actually kind of shocked that that concept hasn't been turned into a tacky CW show yet.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That at really catches me, I'll check it out

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Is anything worth reading in Vertigo after The Unwritten and Sandman Overture end? I noticed that most of my reading list has shifted to Image and various other publishers, which seem to have taken up the mantle after Vertigo stopped being the place to go for your weird rear end, but cool series.

Maybe try Hinterkind. Written by Ian Edgington, post-apocalypse Earth with elves and trolls and other magical poo poo. I like it so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Barbe Rouge posted:

Maybe try Hinterkind. Written by Ian Edgington, post-apocalypse Earth with elves and trolls and other magical poo poo. I like it so far.

Be warned that it starts as a bland retread of I Am Legend before it goes anywhere.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

Be warned that it starts as a bland retread of I Am Legend before it goes anywhere.

The book, or the movie?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Did it actually go anywhere good? I read the first half dozen or so issues and it felt it like it had potential but just wasn't actually going anywhere with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The book, or the movie?

The central premise.

Chairman: Yes, it does go somewhere interesting, but if you read the first six and didn't get into it I wouldn't bother.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Lurdiak posted:

Dillon lacks diversity of faces, sure... But I feel he really excels at storytelling panel by panel. His art gives everything he touches a very direct and realistic tone. He also can draw gore and horror better than most artists. The structure and rules of Dillons work, ie - a large number of 6 or 9 panel pages, a very small variety of faces, no exaggerated comic-booky shlock, all these rules allow his work to have a greater range of emotion and subtly than most comic book artists.

Strangely, Dillon's visual style is pretty close to a lot of Daniel Clowes work.

Manga artist Junji Ito has similar flaws and strengths to Dillon. Two or three faces. They're both very frill-less, rule-oriented and structured in their illustrations; this gives their depictions of violence or horror more impact.

Sal Buscema as he got older developed a an idiosyncratic, drab and "ugly" style as an illustrator. A lot of people hated his work on Spectacular Spider-Man in the 90's. I always felt similar styles were more evocative and emotive than the superstar flashy artists who in my opinion made comic-books look like utter horseshit for about 15 years. People like Todd McFarlane are prefect examples.

Even the flashier Super Hero style artists, like Mark Bagley suffer from the same critiques people give Dillon's work. They draw very few faces. So?

All that said, I'm in the minority opinion, being a fan of Steve Dillon's art work. Either I get it, and very few other people get it, or I don't get it at all.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 11, 2014

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Speaking of Vertigo and Grant Morrison, how is the post-Morrison run of Animal Man?

I was reading the Animal Man Wikipedia article and the Peter Milligan run sounds like it might be good?

quote:

Following Morrison's run, Peter Milligan wrote a 6-issue story featuring several surreal villains and heroes, exploring questions about identity and quantum physics and utilizing the textual cut-up technique popularized by William Burroughs. Tom Veitch and Steve Dillon then took over for 18 issues in which Buddy returns to his work as a movie stuntman and explores mystical totemic aspects of his powers. Jamie Delano wrote 29 issues with Steve Pugh as artist (with occasional issues with by other artists, like Will Simpson), giving the series a more horror-influenced feel with a "suggested for mature readers" label on the cover, beginning with issue #51.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

God Of Paradise posted:

All that said, I'm in the minority opinion, being a fan of Steve Dillon's art work. Either I get it, and very few other people get it, or I don't get it at all.

I love Dillon too. I feel like people would not remember Preacher half so fondly if not for his art.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Alright I bought all the Seaguy stuff on the Comixology sale. Also We3, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer and Flex Mentallo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just finished reading Trillium and was pretty disappointed. It had a fun enough premise for a romance, but I felt that the characters spent so much time being confused that they didn't really get a chance to do anything and develop until they just fall in love all of a sudden in what seemed like more a plot contrivance than actual character development. Like, I think Saga's first 8 issues had a better romance between the characters than this did because there was some semblance of chemistry. It probably helps that the characters there actually spend time together, too.

I also didn't think there was much to gain from translating all that goddamn text. Like, it's not like there was actually any more story or anything to uncover after all the effort.

Am I missing something or did Lemire, whose work I normally enjoy, just swing and miss?

Also for some reason I couldn't help but think of Interstellar while reading it (I saw the movie first before reading it), despite not being very similar at all. I'm really not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Interstellar and Trillium are both sort of love letters to exploration, but Interstellar is good and Trillium I couldn't even finish. I thought Lemire was just trying to be cute by playing with the panel structures and story beats without really using it to illuminate anything. There are really unique qualities to comics because it is an informative, visual medium, but too many writers use that to just gently caress around with panels and making the reader turn the page around. Sometimes it can bring something new, but not in Trillium.
It was especially hurt by being a love story based on two people who fell in love because *space*magic*.

• Locked thread