Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

axeil posted:

So I think the Eagles defense might actually be good.

The packers shut them out until garbage time.

So I don't think so chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

So I think the Eagles defense might actually be good.

They got 9 sacks tonight :stare:

And Mark Sanchez threw for 330 yards :aaa:

I love my team :allears:

CharlestheHammer posted:

The packers shut them out until garbage time.

So I don't think so chief.

We shut out the Giants and DVOA has us as the 8th best defense :colbert:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

axeil posted:

gently caress.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

M. Sanchez 20/37, 332 yds, 2 TDs

I'm catching a whiff of Alex Smith Syndrome here; a QB no better than the organization he's in. I know this was against the Carolina defense, but this is a competent game from the Buttfumble guy. I thought Alex was poo poo, it turned out it was the coaching. Sanchez went to the playoffs twice, won games, and then… Buttfumble. It might just have been a case of the Jets being losers, not Sanchez.

Might.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Alex Smith was always better than Mark Sanchez's lows, though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

football fuckerman posted:

Alex Smith was always better than Mark Sanchez's lows, though

Statistically, but Alex does have one of the worst QB fumbles of all time. He's rolling to his left with the ball, a defender catches up to him, and just before he gets hit he throws his arms up in a "not the face" motion. With the ball (formerly) in his hands. He just straight up panicked and dropped the ball. That was in, oh, 2007 or so; I just don't have the emotional reserves necessary to look up which terrible coaching staff that was.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So does anyone have a gif of the Russian nesting doll QB graphic? That thing was awesome.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

All it takes for a USC QB to be successful in the NFL is a college coach

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Harlock posted:

Or not being coached by Rex Ryan or Brian Schottenheimer

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
Eagles did exactly what they had to do against a clearly inferior team. So happy, but a huge challenge awaits us at Lambeau. No time to waste celebrating, at least for me.

Just kidding, I am giddy as a motherfucker. :haw:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Harlock posted:

(Statement not applicable to Matt Barkley)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

aBagorn posted:

(Statement not applicable to Matt Barkley)

Lol remember when USC was ranked #1 going into his last season?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

Statistically, but Alex does have one of the worst QB fumbles of all time. He's rolling to his left with the ball, a defender catches up to him, and just before he gets hit he throws his arms up in a "not the face" motion. With the ball (formerly) in his hands. He just straight up panicked and dropped the ball. That was in, oh, 2007 or so; I just don't have the emotional reserves necessary to look up which terrible coaching staff that was.

Mike Nolan

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol remember when USC was ranked #1 going into his last season?

please dont

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

YMB posted:

Eagles did exactly what they had to do against a clearly inferior team. So happy, but a huge challenge awaits us at Lambeau. No time to waste celebrating, at least for me.

Just kidding, I am giddy as a motherfucker. :haw:

I seriously think we might beat the Packers even though it's in GB. They haven't really beaten anyone all that impressive.

Wins
vs Jets
@ Bears
vs Vikings
@ Dolphins
vs Panthers
vs Bears

None of those teams, except maybe the Dolphins are good. Seems like a solid middle of the road team.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

I seriously think we might beat the Packers even though it's in GB. They haven't really beaten anyone all that impressive.

Wins
vs Jets
@ Bears
vs Vikings
@ Dolphins
vs Panthers
vs Bears

None of those teams, except maybe the Dolphins are good. Seems like a solid middle of the road team.

I 100% support the Eagles beating the Packers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

axeil posted:

Wins
vs Jets
@ Bears
vs Vikings
@ Dolphins
vs Panthers
vs Bears

Let's not get into a who beat who thing.

The Eagles don't come off much better.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Let's not get into a who beat who thing.

The Eagles don't come off much better.

The Colts look pretty good :colbert:

Point is, I don't think we can say much about the strengths of the Packers. They have an okay record and beat who you'd expect.

That's why it should be a great game and I'm really pissed it's on at the same time as AZ/DET

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

axeil posted:

and they chocked that game away. :colbert:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

axeil posted:

I love it that Chip Kelly, the guy who coached major college football for a total of six seasons, hadn't spent a single day in the NFL, runs a wacky offense even by college standards, and does everything else differently, is killing it in the NFL.

He's also a wizard because seriously Mark Sanchez? I don't think Jets Sanchez could've done that against air.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I love it that Chip Kelly, the guy who coached major college football for a total of six seasons, hadn't spent a single day in the NFL, runs a wacky offense even by college standards, and does everything else differently, is killing it in the NFL.

He's also a wizard because seriously Mark Sanchez? I don't think Jets Sanchez could've done that against air.

I feel very, very spoiled as an Eagles fan because for the last 15 years we've had great coaching (last year of Andy Reid being the only anomaly).

It's really nice.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

axeil posted:

Point is, I don't think we can say much about the strengths of the Packers.

Best quarterback in the game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

commy gun posted:

Best quarterback in the game.

But on the other hand, Dom Capers defense against a team that likes to run the ball.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Oh cool, star's hurt

just loving tank ron

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

axeil posted:

I feel very, very spoiled as an Eagles fan because for the last 15 years we've had great coaching (last year of Andy Reid being the only anomaly).

It's really nice.
I was kind of thinking they'd miss the playoffs this season with Foles regressing a bit, the early-season first half woes, and thinking that they couldn't keep up their non-offensive scoring. Then, since his NCAA show-cause would be up, he'd take some cushy college coaching job.

I take it all back Chip stay in the NFL, the league is more entertaining with you in it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

Oh cool, star's hurt

just loving tank ron

Ron had a pretty hot take on that:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

axeil posted:

Bad Moon posted:

So far the only other team the Colts have beaten that is any good is the Bengals. We'll see what happens in the Patriots games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I uh, don't know if the Bengals are really good in retrospect.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Brannock posted:

Mike Nolan

I'm mostly over my irrational hate for Mike Nolan (18-37). That said, my rational hate for his tenure in SF is still worth SPF50 sunblock and the same viewing precautions you'd use for a solar eclipse.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Ray Lewis is wearing a fedora on Sportscenter

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I uh, don't know if the Bengals are really good in retrospect.

Bengals couldn't beat Carolina. They weren't.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Eifert Posting posted:

Ron had a pretty hot take on that:

After what Ron said about Cam at halftime I'm surprised he was able to identify an injury at all.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Oh, god, what did I do?

Chilichimp posted:

Rams vs Cardinals: CARDS, Bitch! Steal this lovely, lovely division and run home with it. Run home, Cards, and don't stop till you get there...

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Or not being coached by Rex Ryan or Brian Schottenheimer

According to Lore (and someone talking to Boomer Esisan on the pre-pre football show on Sunday Morning on the FAN) during Sanchize's time on the Jets Rex basically at one point had the offense running with two different color cards that they could signal from the sidelines: Red for slow it down and Green for speed it up. The guy basically had no support for playcalling after the two AFC championship years.

Think about that for a second.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eifert Posting posted:

I wish the most likable QB in the game wasn't the one behind that abortion of a line.

Orton has an OK line

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TyroneGoldstein posted:

According to Lore (and someone talking to Boomer Esisan on the pre-pre football show on Sunday Morning on the FAN) during Sanchize's time on the Jets Rex basically at one point had the offense running with two different color cards that they could signal from the sidelines: Red for slow it down and Green for speed it up. The guy basically had no support for playcalling after the two AFC championship years.

Think about that for a second.

This is a story about how bad Sanchez is, not the coaching

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

This is a story about how bad Sanchez is, not the coaching

I cast thee out, unbeliever, who doubts the truth, the way, and the light

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Oh, god, what did I do?

You have The Gift. Use it wisely.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Does no one remember the red light green light jokes from 2010? That was implemented because Sanchez is a moron who had no feel for appropriate game situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Total meltdown last night. Cam can barely move and it shows. He can't follow through with his throws which makes me think the ribs are starting to be a pretty serious issue. He also can't plant which is why you see throws like that pick six. I watched it in a bar last night so I couldn't hear what they were saying but judging by slow motion replays they were talking about it. Just bench him; his problems are compounding one another. Let DA go out there and get lit up.

The Eagles consistently got pressure last night rushing 3 loving people, and they'd do it simply by overloading the LT. Byron Bell really has no idea what he's doing, or what the protection schemes are. The Eagles weren't disguising anything they were doing. The most mind numbing was when he double down into the B gap with Amini to chip the DT, while the DE just pranced in freely. This is a guy who frankly doesn't know what's happening. DeAngelo is toast as a runner and can't block the pass rushers, crumbling numerous times tonight. Sadly the book is out on the Panthers offense this year: blitz, they can't stop you.

Ideally you'd try to go a little more uptempo, spread them out, create running lanes for easy first downs, etc, but remember, this is Mike Shula and Ron Rivera calling the plays. The problem is execution, not personnel or scheme. WE HAVE TO EXECUTE BETTER. ESTABLISH THE RUN. Now throw this deep pass to Jericho Cotchery, maybe they won't cover him.

On defense, what can be said. Charles Johnson was actually fairly disruptive tonight, he's just an inch or so off on every play. Mark Sanchez moved very well in the pocket, but the Panthers can't afford to blitz anyone because of how bad the safeties are. I think this was a mistake, since obviously with Sanchez's track record you send 8 every play until he shows you he can beat it. Clearly he was able to sit in the pocket and wait for Antoine Cason to fall the gently caress down, or Colin Jones to not be physically able to stay in coverage. The most embarrassing play of the night had to be Mario Addison just getting hip tossed on Sproles' touchdown run by I think Celek? That's one man just having his way with another.

This defense could have worked. We saw them shut down the Lions. But I don't think it would have held up the entire year. People would have realized how bad the secondary was eventually. Everyone blames Gettleman for this mess, but he guy's hands are tied. He fixed the receivers; as a whole they're actually better, and the Panthers are set up for the future better than they were last year. But without free agency to find players, he was really hoping to luck out again like he did last year. Sadly our makeshift safeties weren't talented castoffs that needed a change of scenery, but old and injured hasbeens who couldn't get to the right spot if they knew where it was. The offensive line lost two players to retirement. Whatever.

There are some talent deficiencies, and no coaching strengths. A smart coach tore them up last night with Mark loving Sanchez. Hopefully Jerry takes away the right lessons from this debacle and gets on the gus bus.

Ozu posted:

Does no one remember the red light green light jokes from 2010? That was implemented because Sanchez is a moron who had no feel for appropriate game situations.

Uh, no. Jeffersonlives clearly explained to us that almost all young QBs go through similar systems as they learn the speed of the game. Additionally, have you seen this chart comparing Mark Sanchez's early numbers to that of John Elway?

JO was great but man he could wear green tinted glasses when it came to early Sanchez.

• Locked thread