Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Speaking of WB cards and promos,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

sarmhan posted:

I mean if we're going to talk flavor text.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
The last line of the "Love Song of Night & Day" is just so heartbreaking, as is the art for the card that it is on.

"Like Day from Night, / I'll live my life apart from you, just glimpsing you across the sky, / because you cannot change, my dear, and nor can I."
—"Love Song of Night and Day"

Here's the whole thing, it's actually decent poetry all things considered.
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/145

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This stuck with me for some reason.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ I totally forgot about that card. That is cool flavor text.

Also, I dig that it's still a viable card for a limited environment after all these years. It would be a sweet turn 5 play in KTK limited, after your opponent has dropped their two morphs.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

I actually got this one over the more common "pretty" Masques one because of the quote and the guy's face. He's probably thinking, "A-bluh-blooh!"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Looking at it now, Lotus Petal's flavor text is a nice meta joke.

The duel deck version of Remand is a good meta joke:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Sorry guys but the all time best hilarious flavor text is clearly

Try reading it out loud without using a gross LARP voice, it's impossible.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I Love You! posted:

All that happens is I do the Heavy mannerisms without even trying. Maybe, maybe. But let us see you outsmart mace, necromancer!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Ash Zealot is so hardcore tsundere for Snapcaster Mage.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I Love You! posted:

Immediately followed by a teenaged war-yodel.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My favourite flavor texts are absolutely the Demigods from Shadowmoor and Eventide. They capture the bleak beauty of Shadowmoor flawlessly, the art is perfect for them, even their names capture every little thing. They're the perfect blend of Melvin and Vorthos. And it's all tied together by the incredible Seer's Parables.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The only thing that's a bit uneven for me about the demigods, card-flavor-wise, is how deep into the thesaurus they had to reach. I'm still not sure if I like the result or not, but it doesn't spoil the cycle or anything.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

I Love You! posted:

I like this one because it reminds me of another great sassy red comeback:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The whole 'invoke dichotomy to show how super srs you are' is overdone in fantasy stuff, but when it's done well it's kind of cool.

also the card art is what the gently caress in a well-drawn way

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oracle posted:

Creature - Human Wizard

:allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
He's just messing up some White Zombie lyrics is all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Going by art, by Scourge, almost every creature in the set should've had the Mutant subtype.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Setting aside jokes -

and smug counterspells -

and literary quotes -

I like a good somber flavor text, on a big white spell

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They certainly are.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Chamale posted:

Now I'm curious, what's the longest flavour text on a card? Devouring Deep clocks in at 39 words. Also, what are your favourite flavour texts? I'm still partial to Goblin Offensive: "They certainly are."

Honorable mention to Last Word:
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

This guy really needs to go back to being just Creature - Wizard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Let's hear it for the minimalist flavor text:

And I think Murder is a flavor win for having none at all:

That guy? Dead. The end. No moral.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

comedy option

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Whoever linked the Love Song of Day and Night thing, thank you, I had always wondered about that one!

I am extremely partial towards the flavour texts associated with ghosts, like Bog Wraith and Lost Soul (especially the ice-flavoured kind, like Chilling Shade and Frozen Shade). I particularly like penitent, noble or otherwise virtuous spirits, which unfortunately are mostly White, like Chapel Geist and Geist of the Moors. Found one exception though, Disowned Ancestor.

This all probably stems from Moaning Spirit being the first card I ever got (from a Starter pack), and me being just completely enchanted by the art and flavour text.

I vaguely recall some cool flavour text around the ice-themed expansions, but I'd have to go dig through the Gatherer. Either way, I just find the flavour text around ghosts to have some real gems to appreciate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael posted:

And I think Murder is a flavor win for having none at all:

That guy? Dead. The end. No moral.

There's something to be said for flavorless, rules-textless textboxes - just in terms of clarity.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

There's something to be said for flavorless, rules-textless textboxes - just in terms of clarity.

Time Stop is pretty much the best one of those.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

This is my fave flavour text-

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm a fan of various stupid Onslaught block goblin flavor text:

Various :smugwizard: texts, my favorite unmentioned one thus far is this one:

As far as somber white flavor text goes I don't think anything matches Yojimi but I like this one too:

I also like some of the classics, such as Jaya Ballard:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

^^ ugggghhhhh

Just made this connection, but is Barren Glory supposed to be depicting Tolaria?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Gnawed to death. Bad way to go.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Two words appended to the end of a quote make it all that much better.

-Orange Fluffy Sheep, last words

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Adder Moray posted:

Pretty much my example of heroic mono-black heroes from other forms of fiction would be someone like Nico DiAngelo from the Percy Jackson series (more specifically when he's older during the Heroes of Olympus series) if you want to be dead on the nose about it.

Or someone like Roronoa Zoro from One Piece who has an extremely black goal of "be the absolute best at something and cut down any mother fucker in my way". And who even when being "noble" and "selfless" does it in the most black way possible. "This is MY job on this crew. I'M the only one I trust to be capable of doing it. I will knock your rear end out if you try to prevent me from doing it." And has the most black attitude about winning fights "don't care if I'm gutted,I lose an eye, or I lose a limb, as long as at the end of the fight, I'm the winner and they're the loser."

See my follow-up post.

Chainer was a pretty good Protagonist through Torment.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Zero_Grade posted:

^^ ugggghhhhh

Just made this connection, but is Barren Glory supposed to be depicting Tolaria?

It's not. Tolaria is an island.

It is, however, the first appearance of the planeswalker symbol.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I Love You! posted:

related:

deftest
May 7, 2011

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I guess I just like dialogue and really bad puns.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Keiya posted:

Honorable mention to Last Word:
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

This guy really needs to go back to being just Creature - Wizard.

But the point is that he only thinks he's more than human: he's actually just some super-egotistical schmuck, which is why he costs 8 mana for a 1/1. It's perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
One of these days I'm gonna build a deck around scornful egotist and homarid spawning bed. Probably UB so I can bring the egotist back repeatedly.

• Locked thread