Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

Man. AA was really goddamn great, and so far I'm just not feeling it with this one.

I had the same issues with AC's writing and structure, so you're not alone. Thought the finale was so loving bad, I never even bothered to beat the end boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Something that always confused me about Arkham City: The reveal that there were two Jokers all along. What exactly did that acheive? Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I couldn't think of any benefit that came out of Clayface pretending to be a second Joker. I mean, all the hints that they left through the game pointing towards it were pretty cool and well done, but it really just felt like a twist for the sake of a twist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I prefer Asylum to City in about everything but combat. I think that the large open world did almost nothing to improve the game and was the wrong way for the series to go. The smaller but more polished area of Asylum just felt better to me.

The Riddler trophies were also much better in Asulym.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 11, 2014

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Since Valkyria Chronicles releases in a few hours, would anyone be interested in a thread for it? I've played way more of the PS3 version then I want to admit. I wouldn't mind writing something up on all the troop types, common mistakes, etc. If so, I need title suggestions.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

botany posted:

Yeah. Because I don't know about you, but if I play a super thief running around the world of Batman I really want my whole character to be defined by my constantly spewing sexual innuendo over the place like a hormonal tennis ball machine.

What the everliving gently caress are you talking about? Catwoman literally climbs walls and sticks to ceilings and you're worried about the depiction?

I'm more worried about the positive portrayal of genocide in Shadows of Mordor, where some racist white guy goes after a bunch of green people because some rear end in a top hat killed his family or some poo poo. IT'S A POLICE MATTER, put down the sword and stop offing Orcs because of association.

Games are literally the worst role models.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I loving love killing orcs. I hope Shadow of Mordor 2 lets you build orc concentration camps, to streamline your killing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

orcs must die

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hav posted:

What the everliving gently caress are you talking about? Catwoman literally climbs walls and sticks to ceilings and you're worried about the depiction?

Um, yeah? I'm not sure what your argument is here. Pretty much the first thing that happens re:cat woman is that she gets captured by Twoface, hung over an acid bath, and before Batman rescues her she propositions Twoface. "If you let me go, I'll make it up to you (wink wink, nudge nudge (with my vagina))." Admittedly I'm not that far in yet but so far she's been overly flirtatious in every single cutscene she's been in. That's really lazy lovely writing and it gets on my nerves.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

botany posted:

Um, yeah? I'm not sure what your argument is here. Pretty much the first thing that happens re:cat woman is that she gets captured by Twoface, hung over an acid bath, and before Batman rescues her she propositions Twoface. "If you let me go, I'll make it up to you (wink wink, nudge nudge (with my vagina))." Admittedly I'm not that far in yet but so far she's been overly flirtatious in every single cutscene she's been in. That's really lazy lovely writing and it gets on my nerves.

She's depicted like that in every other media too. It's easy to trick male criminals by talking about sex.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Why is Obi Wan from The Phantom Menace fighting those Chainsaw Werewolves and that Warhammer 40k minigun thingy

http://store.steampowered.com/app/328100/

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
ONE EASY TRICK MALE CRIMINALS HATE

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hang me over an acid bath and I'll offer you whatever the hell you want.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Breadallelogram posted:

She's depicted like that in every other media too. It's easy to trick male criminals by talking about sex.

I haven't read any of the comics, so I don't know much about the Batman universe, but if that's true then it's a waste of what could be a cool character.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's like that in the movies too.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

botany posted:

I haven't read any of the comics, so I don't know much about the Batman universe, but if that's true then it's a waste of what could be a cool character.

74 years of conceptual continuity.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh wow. Man that's disappointing. Seriously, you have a character who can get into any building, steal anything she wants, is conflicted about what side of the law she's on, and probably has some major insights into what's going on on both sides. It's so easy to do cool poo poo with somenone like that, writing-wise. Instead she's the girl in the fetish outfit who wants to do a sex on you :wink:

I'll drop this issue now, promise. Stuff like this just annoys me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What's wrong with her skull?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

botany posted:

Oh wow. Man that's disappointing. Seriously, you have a character who can get into any building, steal anything she wants, is conflicted about what side of the law she's on, and probably has some major insights into what's going on on both sides. It's so easy to do cool poo poo with somenone like that, writing-wise. Instead she's the girl in the fetish outfit who wants to do a sex on you :wink:

I'll drop this issue now, promise. Stuff like this just annoys me.

Here's the thing. She doesn't want to do sex with you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

The 1940's.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah, I never much liked Catwoman as a character, but over decades that has been consistent with her portrayal in all media. She just wants the thrill of stealing and will do anything for it, including making you think she cares about you. And god heavens if you think she's actually attracted.

Hell, her last ongoing comic ended in 2008 with her finally realizing she had lost her surrogate daughter only because she didn't want to change her life. It was all on her. And she didn't give a flying drat.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

The 'Year One' Selina Kyle was a dominatrix, IIRC, and kinda jammed the 'sexual' angle by being attainable and yet unattainable. Catwoman is literally every trope in one because there's been 72 years of history with frequent retcons.

You want disturbing, go check out Harley Quinn in 'Injustice', where she's literally a victim to the Joker throughout.

My problem is a lot of this poo poo feeds into the social justice warrior that really doesn't want to get off the couch and wants to talk about games being anything other than games. Sure, you might have suspicions about the writer, developer, publisher and/or character of furthering a racist/sexist agenda, but some of us just play games.

gently caress the analysis.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

This character could be so deep and nuanced. Let me ignore all context and take everything she says at face value.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Hav posted:

gently caress the analysis.

This is really funny. I think Catwoman is kinda rad, but come on dude, its fun to talk about nerdy poo poo like this. Maybe the general steam thread is not the place but if you just play game or just watch movies or read books you're missing a lot of the enjoyment.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the matter? Haven't you ever seen a pretty girl before?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't find a thread, but is The Old Republic basically KoToR3? If the story lines are good / branching I might give it a shot, but if it doesn't branch out, I probably won't be interested.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I can't find a thread, but is The Old Republic basically KoToR3? If the story lines are good / branching I might give it a shot, but if it doesn't branch out, I probably won't be interested.

It's the closest you'll ever get, and about half of them are quality.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

This is really funny. I think Catwoman is kinda rad, but come on dude, its fun to talk about nerdy poo poo like this. Maybe the general steam thread is not the place but if you just play game or just watch movies or read books you're missing a lot of the enjoyment.

Aye, how dare anyone, you know, read into the media they are consuming and try to find other/deeper meaning.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Turtlicious posted:

The storylines are really enjoyable and every class has a different one complete with starting on different planets so you basically have 8 different Kotors to play. You're pretty free with making plot decisions so you can be a good hearted Sith Lord or an absolutely evil Jedi Knight which owns. Dark Side storylines are way more interesting in my opinion.

It's also a pretty good time to join if you're willing to pay a month's subscription + pre-order the upcoming expansion because there's a 12x exp boost until 1st December. This would allow you to max level every char without much grind which is great. Normally you'd have to do a ton of typical MMO side missions of killing 5 types of every animal, plant and rock on the planet etc. But again you have to both subscribe and pre-order the expansion.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rage McDougal posted:

Something that always confused me about Arkham City: The reveal that there were two Jokers all along. What exactly did that acheive? Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I couldn't think of any benefit that came out of Clayface pretending to be a second Joker. I mean, all the hints that they left through the game pointing towards it were pretty cool and well done, but it really just felt like a twist for the sake of a twist.

Well for one thing dying of Titan Joker wouldn't be that thrilling a final fight. Story-wise it kept the fact he was sick and dying hidden from his men, which he obviously wouldn't want them to know about in the environment they were in.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Half the campaigns are really, really well done and are basically the best story content Bioware has ever done ( Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, and Smuggler. ).

A few are just ok, and generally on par with what you'd find in most Bioware games ( The Inquis and Consular ).

And a few should just not be played because they aren't really worth it ( Trooper and Jedi Knight. Trooper is cool in the sense you fight some pretty big battles, but ehhh, the supporting cast fails it pretty badly. Jedi Knight is just trash. ).

You get a ship, companions with their own quest arcs ( though only the first companion actually sends you places, most bring the quests onto the ship. This is fine because fuuuuck flying to every single planet multiple times for every companion. ), multiple choices for the good arcs, and some neat storytelling.

It's also got a 12x exp booster up from now until the 1st, which means you can fully clear a storyline in about 3-5ish days depending on how often you work/do other stuff. And you can do it entirely through the class quests, turning it into an honest to god single player RPG with Bioware style combat. You need to be subbed/buy the expansion though, so about $35 upfront.

e: Valkyria Chronicles is outselling Unity on Steam.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 11, 2014

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run was really, really good. Read that, you uncultured swine.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Turtlicious posted:

The best stories are on the Sith/Imperial side.

I've known quite a few folks who tried out the Jedi Knight and completely lost interest before even leaving the first planet. As someone who has 4 max level characters (out of 8) I can attest that while you play an central role in the conflict, the Jedi Knight's story isn't very good. And yup isn't one of the characters that I've maxed out.

If you really want to play a Jedi, play the lightside Sith warrior. The best part is choosing lightside options and baffling the other side by being more honorable than the Jedis that fight you.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Five Nights At Freddy's 2 is pretty spooky.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Rookersh posted:

e: Valkyria Chronicles is outselling Unity on Steam.

Maybe there is some small chance of a localized valkyria chronicles 3 after all.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Any chance is there going to a Valkyria Chronicles thread?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles, i've been wanting a new SRPG lately, and it seems interesting, but does the game really have that big-rear end white border around the screen constantly, like it does in the screenshots on the store page? Because wow that looks like poo poo.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles, i've been wanting a new SRPG lately, and it seems interesting, but does the game really have that big-rear end white border around the screen constantly, like it does in the screenshots on the store page? Because wow that looks like poo poo.

Based on this review I think it does:
http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/

All of his in-game screenshots have it. Only the menu screens don't.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
AC: Unity embargo just lifted, and the reviews aren't looking very good.

(Chiefly: it's incredibly boring, filled with bugs, has poor performance on PC, microtransactions everywhere, and the usual day 1 Uplay issues.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 11, 2014

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

Yeah, that's how it was on the original PS3 version too. Not really sure why.

Super hyped to play this game tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

AC: Unity embargo just lifted, and the reviews aren't looking very good.
Ubisoft broke, now they can only make pirate games.

• Locked thread