Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

slap me silly posted:

It's just posturing, there's no legitimacy to it. It's just unlikely that anyone is willing (or even able) to sell for a price well below what they're asking.
I don't know. For every buyer that lowballs, it seems that there's a seller who lists their house at +25% market rate because they think that someone might pay it. The best idea is to do your own research, or use a trusted professional, to determine an appropriate value for the house and make an offer that you're comfortable with. If the seller says no, move on.

Also, Mahoning sounds like a typical realtor who's drunk the Koolaid. Listening to what he says won't save you any money on a house, but it will help you understand how realtors think. Kinda like the bankruptcy attorney in the Debt Collection thread who's solution for everyone is to declare bankruptcy. You have to consider the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

I don't know. For every buyer that lowballs, it seems that there's a seller who lists their house at +25% market rate because they think that someone might pay it. The best idea is to do your own research, or use a trusted professional, to determine an appropriate value for the house and make an offer that you're comfortable with. If the seller says no, move on.

I agree with this. But I think it so often happens because it's a pretty basic negotiating tactic (that I plan on using). It gives you extra room move in negotiations. And you never know if someone really desperate might come along and offers you full price, or a smaller amount off than you expected.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mahoning posted:

Like I said, if I'm gonna base my advice in this thread on the people that already know what we're doing, then there probably won't be much to say. Maybe I'm wasting my time in this thread, I don't know. I'm just pretty hard wired to assume someone is not an expert home buyer because MOST people aren't, because it's something that most people do only 2 or maybe 3 times in their life and the market changes so quickly that many times one experience can have nothing in common with a second or third.
How about you base your advice on people that have read the thread, or at least the first post? People in this thread are a subset of buyers that have sought out advice and engaged a community to ask questions. That alone probably puts homebuyers that post here with questions in the top 5% of knowledgeable buyers. I know it's a low bar, but know your audience. Your audience here at least knows enough to do independent research and seek out third party opinions. And by the thread title alone, they should be aware of the many pitfalls of home buying and home ownership.

Edit: poo poo, forgot the thread title got changed. Point still stands, though.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Jesus Christ you sperglords. In this echo chamber of somethingawful.com, we tend to forget that there are people who aren't 100% logical beep beep boop boop house robots. Mahoning is coming from a place where he deals with these people every day, and you can tell by how he answers questions. Not a fault, he's a guy doing a job and getting paid. Do you princes of the internet necessarily need a realtor or need to listen to his advice? No.

But for the love of god, coming from a guy that frequently negotiates large purchases (but not houses) as a profession, remember that "human nature" is a thing. That 600k example house ink the 500k neighborhood? The seller is convinced that for some reason, it's worth more money. Is it upgrades? Is it the lot? Is it because they've raised their kids there? Who the gently caress knows. The majority of people attach an emotional context to transactions, ESPECIALLY a giant one like a house. A lowball offer can feel like a "gently caress you your hopes and dreams as embodied in this physical thing aren't nearly worth what you think". Negotiations generally don't make it past that point.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

But for the love of god, coming from a guy that frequently negotiates large purchases (but not houses) as a profession, remember that "human nature" is a thing. That 600k example house ink the 500k neighborhood? The seller is convinced that for some reason, it's worth more money. Is it upgrades? Is it the lot? Is it because they've raised their kids there? Who the gently caress knows. The majority of people attach an emotional context to transactions, ESPECIALLY a giant one like a house. A lowball offer can feel like a "gently caress you your hopes and dreams as embodied in this physical thing aren't nearly worth what you think". Negotiations generally don't make it past that point.

Right, I agree with this as well. Which is why it was asked (indirectly and directly) last page how to deal with this, and how to use it best to your advantage. Or if you should just walk away.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TacoHavoc posted:

Jesus Christ you sperglords. In this echo chamber of somethingawful.com, we tend to forget that there are people who aren't 100% logical beep beep boop boop house robots. Mahoning is coming from a place where he deals with these people every day, and you can tell by how he answers questions. Not a fault, he's a guy doing a job and getting paid. Do you princes of the internet necessarily need a realtor or need to listen to his advice? No.
I've read all his posts but haven't actually seen any advice other than "Trust me, I'm a professional". It'd be one thing if he was a shill and posted interesting anecdotes, observations, or advice. It's another if he just shouts "You need a realtor".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TacoHavoc posted:

Yeah, when I asked directly how to take advantage of this, it may have sounded snarky or something, but I was dead serious. I suppose the counterpoint is also how to prevent yourself from getting taken advantage emotionally - what are the common techniques to look out for?

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Mahoning posted:

Like I said, if I'm gonna base my advice in this thread on the people that already know what we're doing, then there probably won't be much to say. Maybe I'm wasting my time in this thread, I don't know.

I didn't really follow this current argument but I just wanted to say I really appreciated the advice you gave me earlier and it helped me, I don't think you are wasting your time here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TacoHavoc posted:

As a prospective buyer I don't give a gently caress, I'm going to offer you $500k for the house that I feel is worth $500k because that's what I think is fair. Anyone that takes that as an insult probably deserves to be insulted, maybe it'll bring them back to reality

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mahoning posted:

Because I think swinging your dick around with a lowball offer burns you more often than it works. Unless you're in a position where you're coming in with a ton of cash, are offering non-refundable earnest money in a large amount, or are in a position where you can take or leave the house, then it's not wise to gamble that much.

Especially so if the seller is represented by a Realtor. And that's not because Realtors are necessarily bad (they often are), but because often times people who come in with lowball offers aren't serious homebuyers. Realtors are more likely to see that. The biggest enemy of Realtors isn't a well-informed independent buyer or seller, it's someone who THINKS they're a well-informed independent buyer or seller. And trust me, those are way more common than the well informed buyer or seller.
What do you consider to be a "lowball"? Assume a house has been sitting on the market with no change in price for >3 months.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Rurutia posted:

Right, I agree with this as well. Which is why it was asked (indirectly and directly) last page how to deal with this, and how to use it best to your advantage. Or if you should just walk away.

Please keep in mind that my negotiating experience with houses is limited to the one I bought. I do negotiate for similar dollar value purchases frequently though.

Logic and patience are really your only two options. Do some research. The Internet is great, lots of towns put their lot maps online so you can find the owners easily. Lots of times you see refinances as zero dollar transactions in town records. That could give you an idea of how much they might owe on the house and how much room they have to work.

Google the owner. Can you find them? What do they do? I got lucky and the previous owner of my house owned a car dealership. That tells me he is likely okay with negotiating things without dragging feelings into it, and it explained why his house was overpriced for the market (he was leaving himself room, price it high and watch 'em buy, etc.)

If you're going to present an offer, explain why you are offering less than their asking price. Bad schools? Maybe they are old and didn't consider that factor when pricing. Weird layout? It's not weird to them, they're used to it. Essentially, explaining why you'd like their house for less than their asking price (in a nice way) can somewhat "humanize" the offer and maybe give them incentive to negotiate with you.

And then patience. Remember, at the end of the day they want to sell their house. If you have time, leave the offer and let them know you are willing to talk whenever.

I guess just remember that people are human and no matter how logical your offer may be to you, someone else may be using a whole different set of variables to evaluate it. There's no easy answer and its a hard process, which is why a lot of people find the help of a realtor necessary and reassuring.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TacoHavoc posted:

Please keep in mind that my negotiating experience with houses is limited to the one I bought. I do negotiate for similar dollar value purchases frequently though.

Logic and patience are really your only two options. Do some research. The Internet is great, lots of towns put their lot maps online so you can find the owners easily. Lots of times you see refinances as zero dollar transactions in town records. That could give you an idea of how much they might owe on the house and how much room they have to work.

Google the owner. Can you find them? What do they do? I got lucky and the previous owner of my house owned a car dealership. That tells me he is likely okay with negotiating things without dragging feelings into it, and it explained why his house was overpriced for the market (he was leaving himself room, price it high and watch 'em buy, etc.)

If you're going to present an offer, explain why you are offering less than their asking price. Bad schools? Maybe they are old and didn't consider that factor when pricing. Weird layout? It's not weird to them, they're used to it. Essentially, explaining why you'd like their house for less than their asking price (in a nice way) can somewhat "humanize" the offer and maybe give them incentive to negotiate with you.

And then patience. Remember, at the end of the day they want to sell their house. If you have time, leave the offer and let them know you are willing to talk whenever.

I guess just remember that people are human and no matter how logical your offer may be to you, someone else may be using a whole different set of variables to evaluate it. There's no easy answer and its a hard process, which is why a lot of people find the help of a realtor necessary and reassuring.

Now we're talking, this is some great stuff.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh so the garage door opener isn't working right, and the water softener is essentially a huge rusted tank of nothing. Looks like we'll call the home warranty folks and see what they can do. I hear they aren't worth the paper they are printed on...but we'll see.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
The housing market can be reduced to the context of a specific home sale at a specific time. I bought my house in December 2011. The owner had originally listed the home for $749k in February. De-listed and re-listed at $699k in June. De-listed and re-listed at $649k in September. Similar houses were selling for between $675-$725k in those months. I made my offer at $612k after visiting the open house in November. My agent told me he felt it was a low-ball offer and would not be taken seriously. The selling agent "double-checked" with my agent before submitting to the owner to let him know that the seller had been offended by low offers previously, would not appreciate my offer and would likely terminate negotiations. Upon hearing that, I wrote a letter to the seller to tell him that I hoped he would not be offended by my offer but it was as much as I could afford. I agreed that my offer was lower than the market comps but my only option was to move to a lesser market and not to come up with more money. I hoped he wouldn't be offended but I loved the house and it was the best I'd seen in the 4 months I had been looking and this was my last gasp effort before accepting less for the family I was hoping to raise. Reluctantly (and I found out later with much anger directed toward the selling agent) he accepted. He and his wife had finished building their $2 million dream home at the beach that summer, had moved out of the house months before, and they were tiring of the process. I like to think that my letter helped nudge him over the top but in retrospect timing and his particular situation and stress likely played in my favor.

10 months later when I re-financed, the house appraised at $650k. Last month an identical house on a smaller/less desirable lot sold for $820k. The seller was right to expect more but I was right to submit my "lowball" offer.

Point being - I agree with the earlier assertion that all offers are serious. It's unfortunate that there's such a veil of secrecy between buyer and seller (although I understand why it exists). Sometimes there's more to the market than lining up comps. Timing and circumstance are just as important and you never know what the seller is thinking.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Got pre-approved!

Found out the house we like is probably going to close this week.

smh

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Spamtron7000 posted:

Point being - I agree with the earlier assertion that all offers are serious. It's unfortunate that there's such a veil of secrecy between buyer and seller (although I understand why it exists). Sometimes there's more to the market than lining up comps. Timing and circumstance are just as important and you never know what the seller is thinking.

I think the secrecy is probably rooted in the whole don't sell to a minority horror fest that used to exist.

mtr
May 15, 2008
What is the etiquette on attending open houses without the intent to buy? I'm still renting but will likely enter the market as a first time buyer in the next couple of years. I'd like to check out some houses in an area I'm interested in to get an idea of what's available and price ranges.

My main concerns would be 1) wasting the time of the realtor when they could be talking to a potential buyer and 2) a realtor trying to get in my ear to be my buyer's agent in the future.

What's the best way to handle this?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

mtr posted:

What is the etiquette on attending open houses without the intent to buy? I'm still renting but will likely enter the market as a first time buyer in the next couple of years. I'd like to check out some houses in an area I'm interested in to get an idea of what's available and price ranges.

My main concerns would be 1) wasting the time of the realtor when they could be talking to a potential buyer and 2) a realtor trying to get in my ear to be my buyer's agent in the future.

Just be honest. Say "I'm still renting but will likely enter the market as a first time buyer in the next couple of years. I'd like to check out some houses in an area I'm interested in to get an idea of what's available and price ranges," and then don't give them contact information. Take their card, be polite, and decide if you might want to work with them in the future. Or throw the card away when you get home. Lots of people go to open houses even if they're not planning to buy/sell soon.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm sure they're used to it. If nothing else, lots of nosy neighbors like to pop in and see whats up (my mom and I did that when I was in high school in a new subdivision).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Yeah, just go. Don't sweat it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A vacant set of 3 lots just went up for sale in my area. They are each appraised around 12000 per the county and the owner is asking 400k for the set. The county site on property info says they are "non buildable". Probably because the sewer line and a local stream bisect them.

The various realtor pages have the listing but make no mention of the non buildable status. This is a residental zoned area. Why would someone ask so much for essentially useless land? Is there some other value I am not considering? Can a variance be sought out even in a flood plain? This is fairfax county Va, fwiw.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

mtr posted:

Curiosity is a perfectly good reason to go to an open house and realtors shouldn't care unless you're stealing poo poo. If they actually bother to ask, just tell them the truth.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mercury Ballistic posted:

A vacant set of 3 lots just went up for sale in my area. They are each appraised around 12000 per the county and the owner is asking 400k for the set. The county site on property info says they are "non buildable". Probably because the sewer line and a local stream bisect them.

The various realtor pages have the listing but make no mention of the non buildable status. This is a residental zoned area. Why would someone ask so much for essentially useless land? Is there some other value I am not considering? Can a variance be sought out even in a flood plain? This is fairfax county Va, fwiw.
Maybe the owner is in the process of re-platting them and carving out 1 or 2 buildable lots?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Spamtron7000 posted:

The housing market can be reduced to the context of a specific home sale at a specific time. I bought my house in December 2011. The owner had originally listed the home for $749k in February. De-listed and re-listed at $699k in June. De-listed and re-listed at $649k in September. Similar houses were selling for between $675-$725k in those months. I made my offer at $612k after visiting the open house in November. My agent told me he felt it was a low-ball offer and would not be taken seriously. The selling agent "double-checked" with my agent before submitting to the owner to let him know that the seller had been offended by low offers previously, would not appreciate my offer and would likely terminate negotiations. Upon hearing that, I wrote a letter to the seller to tell him that I hoped he would not be offended by my offer but it was as much as I could afford. I agreed that my offer was lower than the market comps but my only option was to move to a lesser market and not to come up with more money. I hoped he wouldn't be offended but I loved the house and it was the best I'd seen in the 4 months I had been looking and this was my last gasp effort before accepting less for the family I was hoping to raise. Reluctantly (and I found out later with much anger directed toward the selling agent) he accepted. He and his wife had finished building their $2 million dream home at the beach that summer, had moved out of the house months before, and they were tiring of the process. I like to think that my letter helped nudge him over the top but in retrospect timing and his particular situation and stress likely played in my favor.

10 months later when I re-financed, the house appraised at $650k. Last month an identical house on a smaller/less desirable lot sold for $820k. The seller was right to expect more but I was right to submit my "lowball" offer.

It should have been obvious to you that your agent was full of poo poo telling you that an offer 6% below list on a property on the market for a year with two price cuts was some ridiculous insulting lowball. Again, I don't think realtors are bad evil people for trying to make money, but when it comes to offers and negotiation their one and only goal is to close a deal and not get you the best price negotiable for the home. This arm's length game with the ostensible pretense of not offending some fragile anonymous party is all part of it.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think he was full of poo poo at all. He was happy to follow through on our offer and knows me well enough (through other offers that I had made). He just advisedme that he didn't think the offer would go over well based on discussions he'd had with the selling agent. I didn't mean to paint that picture at all.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

mtr posted:

Just don't enjoy the refreshments if you aren't a potential buyer. It doesn't cost anything to have another person walk through, and in fact, could potentially hasten a real offer if the real buyers think there is more competition.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Does anyone here have any particular experience with sinkholes and foundation underpinning repair?

We're interested in a house but are pumping the brakes a bit because we've been given a report on a whole-house foundation underpinning that was done in July. Apparently a "small hole" opened up near the front porch, was filled in, and the work was done afterwards.

Is it common for the whole house to be done in this situation? How worried should we be that more holes will open up, or that the foundation was cracked or otherwise damaged?

This is in central Florida, by the way, so sinkholes are going to be a concern anywhere, we just aren't sure we want to take on greater risk.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Spamtron7000 posted:

He was happy to follow through on our offer

You probably know this, but for the benefit of the thread... Realtors are legally required to submit any offer regardless of what they think of it. Not doing so could lead to a loss of their license and the brokerage's license.

Jan 11, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Does anyone here have any particular experience with sinkholes and foundation underpinning repair?

We're interested in a house but are pumping the brakes a bit because we've been given a report on a whole-house foundation underpinning that was done in July. Apparently a "small hole" opened up near the front porch, was filled in, and the work was done afterwards.

Is it common for the whole house to be done in this situation? How worried should we be that more holes will open up, or that the foundation was cracked or otherwise damaged?

This is in central Florida, by the way, so sinkholes are going to be a concern anywhere, we just aren't sure we want to take on greater risk.

Ask the seller for the structural and geophysical engineering reports before you consider an offer, and if you offer, get your own third party structural engineer for an opinion on the stability and safety of the structure. Look carefully into the problems you may have insuring a house with a known sinkhole. My inclination would be to just walk away to be quite honest because it sounds like a huge potential liability.

Jan 11, 2004

Spamtron7000 posted:

I don't think he was full of poo poo at all. He was happy to follow through on our offer and knows me well enough (through other offers that I had made). He just advisedme that he didn't think the offer would go over well based on discussions he'd had with the selling agent. I didn't mean to paint that picture at all.

Fair enough, but 6% is almost never some obscene lowball and the thought that someone would just refuse to engage any further with a potential buyer because their offer was 2% lower than they wanted to hear is laughable. If they've significantly cut their price twice they are clearly a) actually interested in selling rather than just seeing if a whale will come to bite on their overpriced property and b) probably not in any position to dismiss any formal offer out of hand. I mean, you can always just offer higher if they decline and you are really interested (p.s. don't let your agent bullshit you that changing the date and one number on an offer sheet and resubmitting it to the seller is an excessive amount of work, either).

Congratulations on your home, and good on you for listening to your common sense rather than letting agents cajole you against your own interests.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think most agents do their comps and also assume that the selling agent has already talked the seller down to a normal price level and that from there, 3-5% below asking is the "normal" offer range on a normal demand property. Of course you are free to offer whatever you want but usually it will just get shot down as a "lowball" if it's way out of range of comps, etc.

This also depends on where you live, I know in my area (Sacramento, CA) that since it's "only" 90 miles from SF - some sellers out here expect a super-commuting FacebookTwitGoog new money millionaire to run out and buy their house for cash since it's so cheap comparatively speaking.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 11, 2014

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Has anyone had experience buying a house with some unusual architecture? Are they hard to insure? Are they impossible to resell? Is getting contractors to work on anything a nightmare? Also what kind of house is this? Googling barrel style house and egg house gets me nothing useful, but there are a handful of these things in my city.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/214-Mill-Branch-Rd-Tallahassee-FL-32312/45595433_zpid/

besides being a giant egg, the house is pretty much exactly what we are looking for.

Jan 11, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Has anyone had experience buying a house with some unusual architecture? Are they hard to insure? Are they impossible to resell? Is getting contractors to work on anything a nightmare? Also what kind of house is this? Googling barrel style house and egg house gets me nothing useful, but there are a handful of these things in my city.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/214-Mill-Branch-Rd-Tallahassee-FL-32312/45595433_zpid/

besides being a giant egg, the house is pretty much exactly what we are looking for.

The big "as is" sale disclaimer suggests that yes, it's a pain in the rear end to deal with and that it in fact needs work. If you're interested I'd say plan on both an inspection to find problems and a contractor estimate for needed repairs/wanted improvements during your diligence period.

A quirky house is generally going to be a resale liability but that's just one of many factors. For the same reasons you might get a great price on it but definitely do your homework.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
looks like they've been trying to sell it on and off since 2011. I bet the entire structure is wonky and note the sprayfoam in the corner of the bathroom (photo 7) so it's probably leaking everywhere.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/214-Mill-Branch-Rd_Tallahassee_FL_32312_M68382-05412?source=web

It might make more sense to just scrape the lot and build something else on it since the neighboring places are very nice.

Sometimes an "as is" disclaimer can just mean the owner doesn't want to/can't afford fix anything. The house I just bought had a "owner will do no repairs" but I still had them repair some small code issues as part of the sale.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Saw an interesting article in the Washington Post this morning, and immediately thought of this thread.

Study suggests Do Never Buy:

quote:

U.S. home prices crashed 43 percent between 2005 and 2012, yet polls find that the vast majority of Americans still consider home ownership to be a good idea and the best way for average people to build wealth.

But is it?

For more than 40 million households—or half of the nation’s current homeowners—the answer is no, according to a new study by HelloWallet, a firm that works with employers to provide online financial planning services to workers. People in those households would have built more wealth by renting and investing their money in 401(k)s, IRA’s or other types of tax-advantaged investments, the report concluded.

“Home ownership is this kind of unquestioned positive aspiration, when it is not necessarily a good investment for people,” said Matt Fellowes, HelloWallet’s chief executive and a former Brookings Institution researcher.

[continued]

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Voodoo posted:

Saw an interesting article in the Washington Post this morning, and immediately thought of this thread.

Study suggests Do Never Buy:

The study is suggesting for half of homeowners it was better to rent. Far different from do never buy.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I am notoriously terrible at math. I'm having a hard time determining if a refinance is really "worth it."

My FHA loan was originally for $127,000 @ 5.25% and we are at $100,000 now. A refinance would be for $110,000 (with all fees and so forth rolled into the loan) @ 3.37%. The refinance would reduce the monthly payment for sure, but since we already pay down quite a bit more every month, it looks like we'd pay the house off in the same amount of time, refinance or not.

Am I missing something here? Everyone's always like "oh yeah you gotta refinance because interest rates are crazy right now" but using various mortgage payoff calculators, it doesn't seem like we'd actually pay the house off any faster with the same bonus payments per month.

Like I said, I'm bad at math and it definitely seems like I'm missing something. I just don't want to refinance for no real reason and make dumb mistakes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that sounds like a lot of fees, did you try PenFed?

Jan 11, 2004
Those fees are outrageous, run screaming from that bullshit refinance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Those were some basic "not an estimate" estimate quotes I got from my credit union.

What would be an acceptable amount of fees, and if they were "more reasonable," would it then make sense to refinance, or does my original concern of not really paying off the house any faster have some merit?