Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cyra posted:

alright for anyone with similar specs, how well do you figure this will run for me

gtx 780 with a modest overclock
16 gigs ddr3-1600 ram
i7-4770k @ 4.3 ghz

i thought i was all set for the current gen of games but with everything wanting 4 gigs of vram compared to my 3 i'm getting kind of intimidated :ohdear: i don't want to have to upgrade to a 970 for the price of a ps4 just to run this and upcoming games at max

mediocrely but the 3 gigs of vram will help. Wait to upgrade until next gen would be my suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

The Iron Rose posted:

mediocrely but the 3 gigs of vram will help. Wait to upgrade until next gen would be my suggestion.

I'm a little confounded, my build more than meets the recommended requirements. How is it that it could only run the game at middling settings? Is it just poorly optimized or is my hardware seriously already that out of date?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cyra posted:

I'm a little confounded, my build more than meets the recommended requirements. How is it that it could only run the game at middling settings? Is it just poorly optimized or is my hardware seriously already that out of date?

Poor optimization - and it's a "next gen" game, whatever that means. I built my machine in September. Trust me, I'm as annoyed as you.

Fun as heck though, even though putting textures on low grates something fierce.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Cyra posted:

A graphics card with 3gb of vram was a waste of money if you want to max out new games. I guess the good news is that a 970 isn't going to max the game out at 1080p60fps either so there isn't much point upgrading.

That's what settings Nvidia recommends for a "playable" 40fps.

The Iron Rose posted:

Poor optimization - and it's a "next gen" game, whatever that means. I built my machine in September. Trust me, I'm as annoyed as you.

Fun as heck though, even though putting textures on low grates something fierce.

It's actually quite a good port considering the consoles are running it at 900p~20fps from what I've heard. With a 970 I can cap it at 30fps with everything on Very/Ultra High except FXAA and Enviroment settings at High.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

TheCoon posted:

A graphics card with 3gb of vram was a waste of money if you want to max out new games. I guess the good news is that a 970 isn't going to max the game out at 1080p60fps either so there isn't much point upgrading.

It's actually quite a good port considering the consoles are running it at 900p~20fps from what I've heard. With a 970 I can cap it at 30fps with everything on Very/Ultra High except FXAA and Enviroment settings at High.

God, my 770 was a mistake. 970 for christmas it is! or a 980.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
ah well, I can live with that. either way it's a step up from the ps4 version so that's enough to feel good about

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

TheCoon posted:

[...]

With a 970 I can cap it at 30fps with everything on Very/Ultra High except FXAA and Enviroment settings at High.

Wait, so you are telling me that it runs significantly worse than what NVIDIA is saying?

e: gonna wait on a independent performance round-up before deciding to buy it.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

Wait, so you are telling me that it runs significantly worse than what NVIDIA is saying?

No, I would rather have a locked 30fps than having it jump up and down depending on what's on screen. On roofs I can get 60fps and in crowds I get around 35, owing to my non-overclocked cpu.

e: How do you open Blue chests? Sometimes it just times out but once it said I had to get Nomad Coins from somewhere?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TheCoon posted:

No, I would rather have a locked 30fps than having it jump up and down depending on what's on screen. On roofs I can get 60fps and in crowds I get around 35, owing to my non-overclocked cpu.

e: How do you open Blue chests? Sometimes it just times out but once it said I had to get Nomad Coins from somewhere?

I haven't played Unity yet but I have played with the companion app. Nomad coins are what you get from doing the Nomad Assassin missions. Think Kenway's Fleet meets ACBro's guild mission mechanics. The spin this time is to unlock missions you have to find glyphs on structures.

I like it. A fun time waster when away from the game that helps me in game.

Also "premium" doesn't seem worth it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

There's already one and it's in the OP. :ssh:

I don't see this in the OP.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

This game has supposedly been in development since right after Brotherhood in 2010.

And yet they still have a history of releasing buggy products that could've used another couple months QA, or cutting scenes and features out at the last minute to get the game out the door (AC3 I'm looking at you.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

I don't see this in the OP.

Directly under release dates.

The writers of this game (at least a specific part of it) owe a great debt to Arkham Asylum.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Orv posted:

Directly under release dates.

A club is an ingame thing, not a steam group.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vodos posted:

A club is an ingame thing, not a steam group.

Misunderstood the question. Well, now there is one.

:siren: If you're a dumb enough idiot to own AC:Unity on PC, Goon_Ass [SAAC] now exists. I don't know if you can join it directly by searching, if not, add me on Uplay at Orvidos.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Orv posted:

Misunderstood the question. Well, now there is one.

:siren: If you're a dumb enough idiot to own AC:Unity on PC, Goon_Ass [SAAC] now exists. I don't know if you can join it directly by searching, if not, add me on Uplay at Orvidos.

I'm going to bed but I sent you a request, and will join the club once I log back in.

Still dunno how it works though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Had time to play the first couple of sequences before heading to work (how I wish I could stay home and play) and my impressions are pretty positive so far! Arno is pretty likeable and I didn't think that first bit was so bad. Kind of unexpected.

On my r9 270X and i5-2500 the game runs... okay, on medium settings. A playble 30ish fps. I didn't try running it with textures on low, which might help a lot. Maybe next year I might need to go for an upgrade to catch up to this console generation if this is just how games are going to be, now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm going to bed but I sent you a request, and will join the club once I log back in.

Still dunno how it works though.

It looks like it's mostly a stats/perk consolidation for friends/like-minded players. Average Missions Per Member, doing certain things gives all players in the club boosts (+10% Creed points for actions, etc) and it keeps track of a bunch of minutiae.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Buckle up.

Alexander Sliwinski ‏@Sliwinski 3m3 minutes ago
You got an hour and 40 minutes to get some microwave popcorn before viewing what greed mixed with systemic management failure looks like.

Now sure this could be talking about something else but uh...probably not. Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb retweeted this and I'm pretty sure he's reviewing the game for them as well.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Are any other goons lame-os like me and playing on PS4? Can we make a spreadsheet of names and platforms or something like we did for Black Flag? I'm turtleducks if anyone wants to co-op later.

As soon as it gets here. Hurry up, delivery man! drat my magpie urge to snag the shinies on the special edition, I could have it by now already.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Buckle up.

Alexander Sliwinski ‏@Sliwinski 3m3 minutes ago
You got an hour and 40 minutes to get some microwave popcorn before viewing what greed mixed with systemic management failure looks like.

Now sure this could be talking about something else but uh...probably not. Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb retweeted this and I'm pretty sure he's reviewing the game for them as well.

Yeah, even if the game itself is a good AC game, and it seems like maybe it sort of is, the performance poo poo is entirely unacceptable and if they get pasted entirely for that they deserve it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after the poo poo they've been pulling since Watchdogs I entirely welcome this being the year ubisoft gets its poo poo pushed in

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

after the poo poo they've been pulling since Watchdogs I entirely welcome this being the year ubisoft gets its poo poo pushed in

they ruined tom clancy. they have to suffer

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Multiple outlets are reporting second hand performance issues from various people who got Unity early. This is their way of confirming that Unity has performance issues without breaking the embargo at 9 AM PST.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

"The poo poo they've been pulling since Watch Dogs"? They haven't released anything since then.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The whole "swap cover" mechanic would be useful if it weren't for the fact that you can't stay in cover while going around table corners. :mad:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Uh oh.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

whatever is going on with the reviews on this game is getting really weird and shady

Orv
May 4, 2011

That's actually super worrying regardless of my personal feelings vis a vis Jim Sterling, 'cause he loves to be paid to poo poo on things.

I mean, super worrying in the context that I've already played three hours of the game because I'm a loving idiot, but still.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

I mean, super worrying in the context that I've already played three hours of the game because I'm a loving idiot, but still.

So let's hear the Orv review of Assassin's Creed: Unity.

I'm sure it'll be more coherent than IGN's.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Does anyone have a team on https://www.assassinscreed.com/unite ? You get shitloads of uplay points to spend on stuff if you join and enter your cd keys (from what I understand). You can then spend those points to buy a mission and some weapons and various ingame currencies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The climbing is fluid and finally doesn't force you to stop and look around for the next climbable bit. They've basically made the entire city climbable on all sides, and whether that lost puzzle aspect is an issue to some people is up to them. The combat is different in that it's basically now Batman combat, you have to parry or dodge hits and actually attack to kill people. Neat little thing is when you down someone they aren't immediately dead unless you press attack again to finish them, they just fall. It is however, not any more challenging, just prettier.

The incidental stuff around the city is neat, the extremists are nice in that they'll actually chase you for a block or two so just ducking around a corner and standing in the middle of the street doesn't work. Crowd behavior ranges from essentially static to awful. Pushing your way through a crowd is a bizarre step backwards, since everyone drunkenly reels away from your path and stares at you. Given that the main use of blending is to move through large crowds in this, it's more than a little stupid. Various AI routines that I've seen but nothing remarkable, though the random clashes between the marshals and the extremists are amusing.

The story so far comes down a lot more on the AC2 side. A character old enough and young-adult-wise enough to be likable instead of a naive prat, your usual AC technobable that translates as "Past aliens did it, we don't have to explain poo poo" and the Assassins in play so far are generally enjoyable. Even if I'm 95% sure the mentor character is voiced by the scruffy Not Ben Hornigold pirate guy from Black Flag. It's unoffensive, as AC stories go insofar, but again, not remotely far in.

Murder missions are somewhat disappointing in that they're;
  • Eagle Vision to light up clues (Practically a necessity, a lot of the clues are things that are otherwise not interactable in the game)
  • Talk to some static NPCs who spout a line or two of dialogue with no actual cinematic
  • Read a few notes and j'accuse a person.
  • Receive reward.

E: I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat for not starting with performance issues: I have them, I meet the minimum easily and reach pretty close to recommended, the cutscenes run like poo poo and the gameplay better but still choppy. Something is hosed with the streaming system the engine uses because every time I start a combat animation the framerate dips briefly.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 11, 2014

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

Murder missions are somewhat disappointing in that they're;
  • Eagle Vision to light up clues (Practically a necessity, a lot of the clues are things that are otherwise not interactable in the game)
  • Talk to some static NPCs who spout a line or two of dialogue with no actual cinematic
  • Read a few notes and j'accuse a person.
  • Receive reward.

haha wow that was actually one mission type I was looking forward to. gently caress that.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

so has journalism stated bad game is bad or bad game is good? This story is developing too quickly for me to keep up. Link some tweets for CNN so Wolf Blitzer makes sense of this for me!

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Oh also the microtransaction bullshit is right in the pause menu. I really hate that. It's still ignorable, but ugh.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Have this on PS4 if anyone wants to try co-op psn is IllogicalCandy

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Ubisoft says that AC Unity uses "every ounce of power" from the PS4 and XB1.

I fear for the current console generation if that's what this gets.

Kinda glad I opted for Rogue today.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

macnbc posted:

Ubisoft says that AC Unity uses "every ounce of power" from the PS4 and XB1.

I fear for the current console generation if that's what this gets.

Kinda glad I opted for Rogue today.

Yes let's believe Ubisoft here. You've seen it here and now. One year into the console's lifespan and we've hit the cap. That's it folks. Wrap it up. We ain't getting any better than this.

:getout:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Embargo down! Let's talk Unity reviews.

Eurogamer: 7/10
Joystiq: 2.5/5
Gamespot: 7/10
VideoGamer: 8/10
Polygon: 6.5/10
Destructoid: 7/10
Kotaku: NO
IGN: 7.8/10
GameInformer: 8/10
USGamer: 3.5/5

Will edit post with more.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 11, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gamespot 7/10

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-unity-uses-every-ounce-of-power-fr/1100-6423486/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Somehow my download got corrupted so I have to redownload all 50gb.

• Locked thread