Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

macnbc posted:

Embargo down! Let's talk reviews.

Eurogamer: 7/10
Joystiq: 2.5/5
Will edit post with more.

In a nutshell Eurogamer said "It's very pretty, but it's still Assassin's Creed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
6.5/10 - polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/11/7192467/assassins-creed-unity-review-xbox-one-PS4-PC

never a good sign when your embargo doesn't lift until 12 hours after the game released

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this is looking to be the lowest rated ac game of the entire series

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Got Haggis? posted:

6.5/10 - polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/11/7192467/assassins-creed-unity-review-xbox-one-PS4-PC

never a good sign when your embargo doesn't lift until 12 hours after the game released

Or, three days before the game is released. Thanks for beta testing it for us, Ameribros!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ethanol posted:

this is looking to be the lowest rated ac game of the entire series

"Fans of the series will probably like it, it fixes some issues from the last game but introduces a bunch of new ones on top. Story is messy and convoluted, but they nailed the atmosphere and Paris looks very impressive. Overall, AC: Unity is solid and well-made, but won't convert people who have grown tired of the formula. 8/10"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I edited my prev post but this one's noteworthy:

Kotaku gives it a NO rating

Pretty rare for them.

Another biggie: IGN: 7.8

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 11, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is absolutely stupid that they speak English instead of some form of French sounding language. Its offensive too to any real french people.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh Ubisoft, when will you learn to optimize your lovely, lovely engines?
(hire the guys who did Shadow of Mordor because they are way better than you)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
From reading reviews and talking to my brother whose several hours in now, it just sounds like Ubisoft's build-the-game-in-pieces via separate teams and then glue it together strategy has finally caught up with them. Everyone is saying it just feels disjointed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

macnbc posted:

I edited my prev post but this one's noteworthy:

Kotaku gives it a NO rating

Pretty rare for them.

Another biggie: IGN: 7.8

Wait, did they really call 3 one of the best of the year?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

macnbc posted:

Ubisoft says that AC Unity uses "every ounce of power" from the PS4 and XB1.

I fear for the current console generation if that's what this gets.

Kinda glad I opted for Rogue today.

After hearing all of the performance issue, why would they say this? Why would Sony and Microsoft allow them to say this? Statements like that do way more harm than good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The state of Games Journalism where the review reads as largely negative but is given a 7, as if the scale only goes from 6-10.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Here comes the number people will really be paying attention to...

Initial MetaCritic score (XB1 version)...

wait for it..

Edit: Just went to 75.

For point of reference: The previous low scores for the series are AC3 (80 on PC) and AC1 (79 on PC).

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 11, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

The state of Games Journalism where the review reads as largely negative but is given a 7, as if the scale only goes from 6-10.

Joystiq seems to have gone a point lower than how theirs reads too.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
why did i buy this hours before the reviews went up. feeling that buyers remorse even as the game finishes downloading

lesson learned. hopefully it's still enjoyable, i really like the series

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Cyra posted:

why did i buy this hours before the reviews went up. feeling that buyers remorse even as the game finishes downloading

The reviews pretty much say it looks lovely and is more of the same Assassin's Creed. If you like the series you'll like this one, but, they say, there's nothing new.

They also complain that Arno is disappointing because all he's interested in is revenge, and unlike Edward. Who, according to the reviewers was so much more fun and interesting (despite the fact that you might remember he was only motivated by one thing; money).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cyra posted:

If you like the series you will probably find something to like about it. It still is Assassin's Creed.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Harlock posted:

Too big to fail.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's enjoyable so far, but yeah, it needs patching bad. If the patches drop and fix things relatively soon I don't think people will be sticking to the "worse than AC3" line.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

It is absolutely stupid that they speak English instead of some form of French sounding language. Its offensive too to any real french people.

Can't you set the voice language to French and have English subtitles? (I dimly recall playing AC2 in Italian with English subs)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grim Up North posted:

Can't you set the voice language to French and have English subtitles? (I dimly recall playing AC2 in Italian with English subs)

Yeah but then you have Ben Franklin speaking perfect French in a french accent and my autism comes in again they just need to make a mode that lets you select which language for what

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like ubisoft forgot the bribery money this time. The game's more AC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Games journalism aside (which it should always be), yeah, it's just an AC game with a heaping help of Patch or Die. Everything that means to someone who has played the rest is there. It won't kill Ubisoft but maybe it'll let them take a couple years to make the next one.

Ahaha.

Haha.

Hahahaha.

:smith:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tune back next week when we review far cry 4, or, yet another horribly unoptimized cash cow ubisoft open world IP

let's see how they ignored consumer demands this time

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ethanol posted:

tune back next week when we review far cry 4, or, yet another horribly unoptimized cash cow ubisoft open world IP

At the very least, videos of that one look like they run nice and don't glitch as much.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Games journalism aside (which it should always be), yeah, it's just an AC game with a heaping help of Patch or Die. Everything that means to someone who has played the rest is there. It won't kill Ubisoft but maybe it'll let them take a couple years to make the next one.

Ahaha.

Haha.

Hahahaha.

:smith:

"Ubisoft has listened to your voices a released a brand new patch for Unity. This fixes all the performance issues. Ubisoft has proven they care about gamers and so we have raised the review to 10/10 would microtransaction again!"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Harlock posted:

You act like this is a new thing. Been like this for loving ever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Abu Dave posted:

There's a French language option.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ethanol posted:

Wasn't Far Cry 3 their only recent game that actually just sorta worked? I might be misremembering that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Orv posted:

Wasn't Far Cry 3 their only recent game that actually just sorta worked? I might be misremembering that.
Rayman Legends was amazing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Rayman Legends was amazing

poo poo yeah I guess all the UbiArt stuff works perfectly fine, make them do all the ports. I meant more their open world stuff.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
so contrary to what everyone was saying, i seem to be running this at a pretty rock solid 60 fps with everything set to max except for using fxaa, with only the occasional stutter or hitch, which seems like it's inherent to the game itself. it actually seems fairly well optimized if a little buggy

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went up to open a chest, but I can't open it because it has to connect to UPlay servers and UPlay is down. :/

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nope, everything I said about this game that might have been good was wrong.

Shaun is here.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Orv posted:

Shaun is here.

Well, I was on the fence because despite knowing Ubi Soft to be a bunch of liars and braggarts I am still a fool with money who wants to play next gen rear end creed but that definitely cements my decision to a "no" (until after patches and price drop)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Orv posted:

Shaun is here.

What does this mean? I haven't played the past few AC games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daveski posted:

A character not a lot of people like.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ethanol posted:

Rogue runs fine, and is a good game apparently.

And we've seen Far Cry 4 played on a number of youtube streams, it always runs fine on their consoles/PCs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daveski posted:

He is the insufferable British guy from AC2-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Orv posted:

AC:Black Flag and Splinter Cell: Blacklist were pretty much universally praised.

• Locked thread