Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bugdrvr posted:

You guys really need to learn the value of the fly and ride.

What's the land of cheap, rust free Wranglers? I want to fly there and drive one back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Safety Dance posted:

What's the land of cheap, rust free Wranglers? I want to fly there and drive one back.

Florida?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Audi in the 80s put their ECUs low enough in the floorboard that leaving the windows rolled down in a rainstorm meant getting a new ECU.

Jokes on you, you don't even need the ECU if you have CIS or CISe :colbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, huh. There's a thought. They're less likely to be Moab'd out than Nevada wranglers.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, huh. There's a thought. They're less likely to be Moab'd out than Nevada wranglers.

muddin'

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fuckin' hillbillies and their fuckin' muddin'.

I did find a lead on a clean-looking TJ Rubicon about 45 minutes south of Atlanta.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Safety Dance posted:

Theres a million divorced dads who bought one because they could express their freedom without actually having any money.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I would say to come shop in Texas, but you'd have to come to Texas, and I don't want competition for cheap Jeep stuff.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

I see tons of Wranglers in Miami that haven't ever been off the pavement.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Jokes on you, you don't even need the ECU if you have CIS or CISe :colbert:

The turbo lag on those cars were already pretty abysmal. I can only imagine how awful drivability would be relying solely on the air plate.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Rally is still the best sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zump9CJNXr4

First episode of the canadian 2014 rally series!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do they usually hold the Rocky Mountain Rally out by Invermere, or does it change every year?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I see tons of Wranglers in Miami that haven't ever been off the pavement.

I know four people here who "live the Jeep life," with tricked out jeeps, 35"+ knobby tires, etc etc, that really buy into all that poo poo, that have never been down anything rougher than an unpaved road.

...One of whom I fixed by taking him out in my dad's deuce and a half. He got his Jeep filthy the very next night. :v:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Not a mechanical failure, per se, but a failure nonetheless.

Why the self-serve American junkyard is dying

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Do they usually hold the Rocky Mountain Rally out by Invermere, or does it change every year?

It goes back and forth between BC and AB I think.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

A lot of that article sounds very good actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnmD7kxHUw

Today I learned that downforce is scary when wing mounts break and you don't have it anymore.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I can one-up this.

While driving to Edmonton from Vancouver, I came across this mysterious incident.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

The turbo lag on those cars were already pretty abysmal. I can only imagine how awful drivability would be relying solely on the air plate.

...its not bad at all, actually. And the turbo lag on my cars and others I've driven was not that bad. The computer had nothing to do with the turbo on the CIS systems.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 11, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nmfree posted:

Is the answer lawyers? Or idiots who cant take their own poo poo out right? I bet its lawyers.

Edit: I was wrong its the fact that scrap is valuable and land costs money.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 11, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 228 days!)

tater_salad posted:

Is the answer lawyers? Or idiots who cant take their own poo poo out right? I bet its lawyers.

Edit: I was wrong its the fact that scrap is valuable and land costs money.

Your choices are:

1) NEAI
2) LAWSUITS
3) Both 1 and 2
4) Neither 1 or 2.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

...its not bad at all, actually. And the turbo lag on my cars and others I've driven was not that bad. The computer had nothing to do with the turbo on the CIS systems.

What model Audi are you driving? I test drove an old 5000 and the turbo lag was quite noticeable to me. My understanding on turbo CIS applications is quite limited and I know there isn't any feedback from the turbo into the computer, but those air plates are really sensitive and finnicky... I imagine the computer helps smooth out the fuel delivery when boost sends the plate flying sky high

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

nmfree posted:

quote:

People aren't fixing their 1992 Dodge Shadows

Yes I am! Its getting drat impossible to find seats, or even tail lights for mine. Not even two years ago, all of the local wreckers around me were choked full of these things. Hell, they are running out of ZJs to rip parts from.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Cash for clunkers is the equivalent of slash and burn farming in the amazon as far as junk yards go

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

nmfree posted:

Perhaps because you can buy brand new Chinese made parts for less than junk yards are charging for the same part.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

1500quidporsche posted:

What model Audi are you driving? I test drove an old 5000 and the turbo lag was quite noticeable to me. My understanding on turbo CIS applications is quite limited and I know there isn't any feedback from the turbo into the computer, but those air plates are really sensitive and finnicky... I imagine the computer helps smooth out the fuel delivery when boost sends the plate flying sky high

The B21FT in my old 242 Turbo had pretty bad turbo lag, but I always thought that had more to do with the ridiculously low compression ratio, something like 7.5:1

The cheese-soft aluminum Volvo used for the head is a horrible engineering failure :mad:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nmfree posted:

The best part of the yards for me is the tourism. You get to see what cars reached the end of their valuable life unexpectedly quickly (Aerios, SX4s, Dutch Volvos, 3rd gen Outbacks and New Beetles were clogging the yards when I went on Saturday) and hunt for deals.

Oddly, 90s Hondas seem to be sitting in the lot a lot longer these days than they did when I started out, used to be they'd be stripped bare before getting off the forklift and then have large chunks of metal missing from illicit sawzalling before they went to the crusher. This time, I found a small group of 14" Honda steelies in the "dump" pile in the parking lot next to a stolen and wrecked S70.

Sometimes you get to see something neat too. Found an Alfa 2000 Berlina, but it was way past its useful life and picked clean.

The people in junkyards are interesting too. Overwhelmingly Eastern European and Somalian immigrants, but I had a good chat with a guy who brought his daughter to pull a rear wiper arm from an Outback and brought only SAE sockets.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 11, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 228 days!)

thylacine posted:

Perhaps because you can buy brand new Chinese made parts for less than junk yards are charging for the same part.

Which have just a slightly lower rate of reliability than something that has been sitting outside, exposed to the elements for about a decade.

Americans don't fix anything, anymore. It isn't just cars. In the last 20 years, we've turned into a everything-is-disposable society.

Dropped your expensive $500 phone? Well, you wanted an upgrade, anyhow. Did you sit on your eReader? You were curious about the latest model- why not check that out? A decent laptop is only $500- why bother upgrading the RAM and HD, when you can get a 3 year warranty with a newer, faster one? Etc, etc, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Viggen posted:

Which have just a slightly lower rate of reliability than something that has been sitting outside, exposed to the elements for about a decade.

Americans don't fix anything, anymore. It isn't just cars. In the last 20 years, we've turned into a everything-is-disposable society.

Dropped your expensive $500 phone? Well, you wanted an upgrade, anyhow. Did you sit on your eReader? You were curious about the latest model- why not check that out? A decent laptop is only $500- why bother upgrading the RAM and HD, when you can get a 3 year warranty with a newer, faster one? Etc, etc, etc.

It's not fair to put all of that on consumers when the companies selling these products are investing a lot of effort making products unrepairable or selling a new thing cheaper than a repaired thing. Security screws, glue, zero documentation, enormous markup on parts (assuming they even sell them).. why bother repairing anything when everything is telling you not to?

It's even happening with cars, safety requirements have led us down the road of unibody so things that were considered a fender bender 30 years ago is a write-off today. Not that I'm arguing against this, the advancements it's given us in maintaining cabin integrity are goddamn amazing, but it does mean people won't be bothering to repair anything outside the drivetrain. Even that isn't a sure thing, when people see four digit quotes because some random subsystem fell apart they're going to turn that into a down payment rather than spend it on a 5 year old ride that likely will continue to fall apart.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Part of it is that a lot of things are designed that way. Upgrading a laptop is a waste of time, aside from a hard drive. Most are limited on RAM, and that's usually not the bottleneck anyway. The automotive industry is surprisingly not building cars to only last 100,000 miles anymore, but new cars are a huge status symbol.

I miss junkyards. :(

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My wife's 2010 Titan with 115k ( towing a steel 2 horse trailer on weekends and highway miles) isn't even near needing brakes. It drinks gas like Betty ford at the Crown Royal distillery, but it's been one solid truck.

Content:

I had a little mishap involving a stray dog and my WRX.

That bumper cover is just hanging there on the passenger side. All the supports and plastic bits underneath are gone. Also has a foot and a half long crack in it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Farking Bastage posted:

Content:

I had a little mishap involving a stray dog and my WRX.

That bumper cover is just hanging there on the passenger side. All the supports and plastic bits underneath are gone. Also has a foot and a half long crack in it.

What about the dog? :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Part of it is that a lot of things are designed that way. Upgrading a laptop is a waste of time, aside from a hard drive. Most are limited on RAM, and that's usually not the bottleneck anyway. The automotive industry is surprisingly not building cars to only last 100,000 miles anymore, but new cars are a huge status symbol.

I miss junkyards. :(

32GB of RAM in my laptop :smuggo:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

xzzy posted:

It's even happening with cars, safety requirements have led us down the road of unibody so things that were considered a fender bender 30 years ago is a write-off today.

I never at all understood the saber rattling about unibodies. They've been mass produced for more than 50 years and seem to only come from believing the only juxtaposition is a 1973 Honda Civic versus a Ford F550. Unibodies can be put on frame straighteners. I think a lot of the cost involved in modern cars is the complex body designs and that affect on dealing with body seams, plastic bumpers, and sacrificial crumple zones, rather than unibodies are made of paper and body on frame designs can't direct force effectively.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 11, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

...Yours is bigger than mine. :saddowns:

But I at least get to smear cheeto grease on a touchscreen now~

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

...Yours is bigger than mine. :saddowns:

But I at least get to smear cheeto grease on a touchscreen now~

I hated that plastic screen cover.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I hated that plastic screen cover.

I did too. totally worthless to read in sunlight. I bought the wifes old brick as an upgrade :v:

From my SF trip. a P38 in its natural habitat.

E: Junkyard and old car chat. Like a house or a boat, its just a status symbol. Most modern slushboxes span 2-5 thou to rebuild. Not really worth it when the car is worth that. Plus its stupid easy to just go finance something.
Saying that, I'll never own something new. I'm not happy unless I'm tinkering with the fucker.

Other junkers keep my old merc alive. Mercedes is quite good at tossing the same underpinnings across other vehicles, so I literally have parts from cars into the 2000s era. I *know* GM is also an offender of this.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 11, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Its not so much that cars are disposable. Most of the cars you drive off the lot today will go to 100,000 miles with nothing more than routine maintenance (and often times with even less than routine maintenance.)

That's actually one of the things my dad frequently says he DOESN'T miss about the cars he grew up with in the 50s and 60s. Yeah, they may be dead nuts simple to work on with parts you pull from the junkyard, but you were going to rebuild that engine every 60,000 miles just because that's what the engineering at the time could give. Not that it really mattered though because the body would rot out on you in 40,000 miles. Now, we have cars with that sort of mileage looking like they rolled right off the showroom floor and are just getting into the meat of their lifespan.

However, since the average car will last a whole hell of a lot longer than it used to, people will want to wholesale move on rather than keep it on the road when the issues start popping up. Either that, or whatever kills it and knocks it off the road is often terminal.

I think people often decouple the nostalgia of 'keeping the old car on the road' with what that car's age actually was at the time. If you really examined the cases of going to the junk yard to pick parts to fix your old '70s or '80s clunker, you'll probably find that you were doing so at a much earlier time in that car's lifespan. Sure, you could go to the pick a part to get your 1983 Chevy Celebrity back on the road, but you were probably doing so at year 5 of ownership with less than 60k miles on the clock. That's something most people would find inexcusable in a modern car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CommieGIR posted:

poo poo, I think that's more than in my work desktop where I do CAD modeling all day.

And probably explains the massive slow downs and crashes that happen at the end of the day when I've opened all the big assemblies.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

bull3964 posted:

Its not so much that cars are disposable. Most of the cars you drive off the lot today will go to 100,000 miles with nothing more than routine maintenance (and often times with even less than routine maintenance.)

That's actually one of the things my dad frequently says he DOESN'T miss about the cars he grew up with in the 50s and 60s. Yeah, they may be dead nuts simple to work on with parts you pull from the junkyard, but you were going to rebuild that engine every 60,000 miles just because that's what the engineering at the time could give. Not that it really mattered though because the body would rot out on you in 40,000 miles. Now, we have cars with that sort of mileage looking like they rolled right off the showroom floor and are just getting into the meat of their lifespan.

However, since the average car will last a whole hell of a lot longer than it used to, people will want to wholesale move on rather than keep it on the road when the issues start popping up. Either that, or whatever kills it and knocks it off the road is often terminal.

I think people often decouple the nostalgia of 'keeping the old car on the road' with what that car's age actually was at the time. If you really examined the cases of going to the junk yard to pick parts to fix your old '70s or '80s clunker, you'll probably find that you were doing so at a much earlier time in that car's lifespan. Sure, you could go to the pick a part to get your 1983 Chevy Celebrity back on the road, but you were probably doing so at year 5 of ownership with less than 60k miles on the clock. That's something most people would find inexcusable in a modern car.

What is really bizarre is that cars have been reliable and durable for 25+ years now, my 1987 Mazda 323 is now at 259,000 miles on the original drivetrain (new CV boots on original axles, clutch replaced only because of oil contamination) and it hasn't taken any work beyond maintenance, and I did it all when I bought it since I wanted a baseline on an unknown car. My Daihatsus never broke down, they also sometimes had original gearbox oil at 150K miles and they held together. My Subarus have eaten wheel bearings and that is about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, Japanese cars gave us reliable easy to work on cars in the late 1970s, which is why they got popular and preferred over the USA and Au domestic brands back then. I had an old mazda 1982 323 bought in 1992 and kept until 2006 with about 300k kms on it.
If you didn't mind it's faded paint, noise of the archaic engine and the outdated safety, it was a good car. During ownership I replaced the starter, alternator and radiator and CV boots, (besides batteries, tyres and brakes that is). Had stuff all rust too, just some bubbles around the rear hatch.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 11, 2014