Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I watched Tenay and Don West call the Angle/Nagata Third Belt match and it was loving atrocious. They literally don't stop yelling for 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Spermgod posted:

I watched Tenay and Don West call the Angle/Nagata Third Belt match and it was loving atrocious. They literally don't stop yelling for 20 minutes.

That isn't different from any Tenay/West commentary over the last ever, except during the Heel Don West era where he'd also occasionally mock things for making no sense or being disappointing.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

quote:

He's Back! @JRsBBQ to call #GFW & @njpw1972 "Wrestle Kingdom 9!" #GFWJan4 http://globalforcewrestling.com/jimross

:bahgawd:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I rescind my Jeff Jarrett Promoter of the Year campaign in light of recent developments.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WoNFO6furg

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
uhh having clips of him talking like hes already at an event that hasnt happened yet was an interesting direction to take

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I know this is essentially none of you, but I'll ask anyway: If you've never watched a New Japan show, but are going to start because of GFW, please watch it with the original Japanese commentary, not with JR.

I just can't see him having the right tone to make it feel like a New Japan show.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i really couldnt care less how anyone else watches a wrestling show, tbqh

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Spermgod posted:

i really couldnt care less how anyone else watches a wrestling show, tbqh

me neither spermgod

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I know this is essentially none of you, but I'll ask anyway: If you've never watched a New Japan show, but are going to start because of GFW, please watch it with the original Japanese commentary, not with JR.

I just can't see him having the right tone to make it feel like a New Japan show.

Why would they want a Global Force Wrestling show to feel like a New Japan show?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Go watch some NWA shows with JR on commentary and form your opinion after that.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I support your opinion brother. Subs, not dubs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

You do realize that Jim Ross is (likely) not going to have Vince McMahon barking in his headset at the GFW show, telling him to do all his catchphrases and gimmicks? JR was a great pro wrestling announcer back in the day, he is not going to ruin the show with his "tone". :rolleyes:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You do realize that Jim Ross is (likely) not going to have Vince McMahon barking in his headset at the GFW show, telling him to do all his catchphrases and gimmicks? JR was a great pro wrestling announcer back in the day, he is not going to ruin the show with his "tone". :rolleyes:

The problem with JR isn't his catchphrases & gimmicks, the problem is he hasn't shown an ounce of the passion he once had on the microphone in the last 10 years. If you can go & watch the NXT shows he did at the end of his WWE run, he just sounded bored with the product. The fact that he hasn't followed NJPW up to this point & that he doesn't have personal or professional relationships with 90% of the people on the card makes it even more likely that he's a bad choice for the job.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

The problem with JR isn't his catchphrases & gimmicks, the problem is he hasn't shown an ounce of the passion he once had on the microphone in the last 10 years. If you can go & watch the NXT shows he did at the end of his WWE run, he just sounded bored with the product. The fact that he hasn't followed NJPW up to this point & that he doesn't have personal or professional relationships with 90% of the people on the card makes it even more likely that he's a bad choice for the job.

Who loving cares

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
jr was good on battlegrounds mma with chael, i support jr

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Most recent pro wrestling commentary JR did was for a DVD where he commentated on 30 year old matches alone. That's a completely new challenge in that you have to make your reactions sound authentic for something where you not only know what happens in the match but also the result. He did pretty good.

I think he'll be more than fine for a New Japan show - especially if he studies up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What's a GFW announce team that people would be happy with?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Matt Striker & Mauro Ranallo

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mongo & Mark Madden

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mike Adamle & Art Donovan

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hog and Prazak

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

HulkaMatt posted:

Most recent pro wrestling commentary JR did was for a DVD where he commentated on 30 year old matches alone. That's a completely new challenge in that you have to make your reactions sound authentic for something where you not only know what happens in the match but also the result. He did pretty good.

I think he'll be more than fine for a New Japan show - especially if he studies up.

he has two months and loves pro wrestling, i think it'll be fine. i wonder who his co-commentator will be.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

NickRoweFillea posted:

he has two months and loves pro wrestling, i think it'll be fine. i wonder who his co-commentator will be.

"The Professor" Mike Tenay

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RZApublican posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

RZApublican posted:

or nah

it'll never happen, but CM Punk would be cool as a commentator, I think

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mike Adamle & Art Donovan

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Note to Jim please don't say:

"He Pearl Harboured him"

He's a no brainer household name wise and he also has a large platform for promotion with his Twitter and podcast. However he doesn't have the greatest rep for pronouncing Japanese names correctly. Also less of a nitpick and more of an actual problem is that he really needs to learn everyone's signature moves and finishers as his announcing style is very nearfalls drama based.

Hope it isn't a phoned in performance where he talks about drinking sake and Honda motors. But I do hope he joins the Bullet Club. :P

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Jarrett actually going to pay for JR to fly over and be ringside at the show, or will he be doing voice overs in a US studio?

JR and Punk doing ringside commentary, and then Punk staring down whoever the champion is at the end of the night would be fantastic

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
its very easy to go on the GFW website and imagine its some 15 year old kid's e-fed

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Spermgod posted:

its very easy to go on the GFW website and imagine its some 15 year old kid's e-fed

Explains the post above yours hahaha

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Spermgod posted:

GFW technically isn't even a fed yet. It's just a promotion company right now.

...Oh god, Jeff Jarrett is the Dixie Carter of New Japan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jr as pbp and tenay as color will probably be pretty good

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 11, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

tenay as pbp and ross as color will probably be pretty good

What, no? That takes both of them out of their comfort zone and would be horrible. Tenay can be good as a color commentator but he's horrible as play by play. Ross added nothing to broadcasts when he was in the role of a color guy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

What, no? That takes both of them out of their comfort zone and would be horrible. Tenay can be good as a color commentator but he's horrible as play by play. Ross added nothing to broadcasts when he was in the role of a color guy.

i meant the other way around

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
No I think JR would be a great colour guy. He can get all sleazy about Maria's rear end, his podcast has shown he has the chops for it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this is missing the point on why someone who doesnt already care about new japan would start watching now that it's available in english

Also it assumes that anybody actually cares about global force wrestling

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You can still hit SAP and get the original commentary, or hit Mute and hear nothing, so everybody wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember the Smackdown pilot with Michael Cole and Jim Cornette on commentary

• Locked thread