Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
He's the gang leader in the holloways whom Bequin encounters. A big genetically engineered mutant, or posing as one at any rate. He wouldn't be seen in normal society, and is generally surrounded by other mutants and lowlifes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah I mean the actual hardcover, which I bought at a fire sale. I don't know if I want to run a module or not yet and haven't had time to finish reading all the BC stuff I have.

I actually ran that adventure with some friends. In retrospect, it wasn't really the best adventure to run for people who'd never played BC before. They really thought the whole 'corrupting the planet' sequence was awesome and really climactic; but generally disliked almost everything else (including the system).

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I'm doing that. I mean when I set out, say, 4 of the same token linked to the Murder Servitor (Melee) sheet I set up, if I take 3 wounds off one token it takes them off the other three since they're linked to the same sheet.

Hm, that's actually quite odd. I do the same thing but I'm not running into that problem. I'll try to test it later today and see if I can reproduce it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wasn't there a Forsaken in one of the Space Wolf novels, the one where Ragnar meets up with some Dark Angels? He was hiding out as a sheriff or something at the time. I remember wondering why nobody, including multiple Space Marines, and Dark Angels, seemed to notice.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
What's weird about 6 foot Alpha Legion is that I distinctly remember that in Gaunt's Ghosts, the average imperial guardsman is like 2 metres tall. I got the impression that was pretty normal in the Imperium and I chalked it up to 40 thousand years of natural selection in the grimdark universe, and a whole Dark Age of Technology's worth of widespread genetic engineering meaning that pretty much everyone in the Imperium was a 7 foot bodybuilder.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doodmons posted:

What's weird about 6 foot Alpha Legion is that I distinctly remember that in Gaunt's Ghosts, the average imperial guardsman is like 2 metres tall. I got the impression that was pretty normal in the Imperium and I chalked it up to 40 thousand years of natural selection in the grimdark universe, and a whole Dark Age of Technology's worth of widespread genetic engineering meaning that pretty much everyone in the Imperium was a 7 foot bodybuilder.

The average guard being 2 meters seems high. The DW book says that the average Space Marine is 2.1 meters tall in their armor (with very little variation marine to marine).

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I personally view the 2 meter tall hero-commissars and stuff to be an artifact of the Schola Progenium and other high-tech worlds feeding people steroid-laced food.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Guardsmen (and women) vary as much as the planets of the Imperium. It's one of the reasons the Guard are such fun.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
2.1m in their armour seems pretty short. 6'10" and a bit. Discount two inches on the bottom for stompy boots, maybe two more on top for helmet and they're only about 6'6. Not even tall enough to turn heads in most places.

I think I prefer them at a scale where 'normal' humans are always craning their necks to talk to them. Up around 7.5-8 foot. Maybe 9 foot tall in full terminator suit.

Of course, there's always the other option. Normally, the only people who ever see a space marine out of his armour are the utterly devoted chapter serfs. Maybe they're not really that different at all. Maybe they're just normal people with a few organ grafts and endless indoctrination throughout their teenage years, stuck into armour beyond understanding. They're well trained sure, but super-human? All armour, propaganda and mythology. The "black carapace" is just bluster for being able to accept the neural conditioning and shunt in your brain that lets you use it to full capacity. That's what they extract when they recover a gene seed. The little, irreplaceable bio-machine they thrust into your youthful brain and hope it takes. Maybe you'll even live long enough for it to replicate itself and the copy can be shoved into some other poor child whose brainwaves are similar to the scans they took from you all those years ago.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It just makes more sense from a stature perspective for Marines to be 8 feet tall. It's abnormal enough that people anywhere should be frightened of them by their very appearance.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, I thought the astartes standard was at least 8 feet, with nine nearer the average

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Pretty sure the Black Library books often say they are 3 meters tall. And yeah average height in 40k leans to tall and marines are often said to be "head and shoulders above the tallest human in the room" so they are pretty drat tall.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe the rest of humanity is just manlets. You can always tell which people are Inquisitorial agents because they're over 5'4"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We are the squats.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Guardsmen at 2 metres are either void born with brittle bird bones, or 'roidgrox-eating, bullet-making GBS threads imperial heroes like Gaunt and the ghosts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tias posted:

Guardsmen at 2 metres are either void born with brittle bird bones, or 'roidgrox-eating, bullet-making GBS threads imperial heroes like Gaunt and the ghosts.

6.5 foot tall humans: Either freakish space babies or superheroes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Average male height of 2m puts them ~15% taller than modern humans. It's a pretty big deviation, especially when they're meant to be coming from impoverished and/or heavily polluted backgrounds.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
2 meters as standard heights of guardsmen seems like some author not understanding the metric system and assuming 6ft = 2 meters!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

As a non-space-born, 6 1/2 foot tall human, this sounds about right.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Kaizer88 posted:

2 meters as standard heights of guardsmen seems like some author not understanding the metric system and assuming 6ft = 2 meters!

Honestly as an American, I initially thought "lol yeah two meters is six feet, that's not freaky, idiot midget goons" before actually doing a quick conversion in my head (at least I can do that!!) I don't think there are that many American 40k writers though, so that doesn't really explain anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MaliciousOnion posted:

Given that at 6'5 I can't shop for shoes in human stores...

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Empty quote.

Although with my particular set of powers sometimes I feel like a superhero in a garth ennis universe.

quote:

Honestly as an American, I initially thought "lol yeah two meters is six feet, that's not freaky, idiot midget goons" before actually doing a quick conversion in my head (at least I can do that!!) I don't think there are that many American 40k writers though, so that doesn't really explain anything.

1m=1yard, 2km=1m, 1kg=2lbs. SCIENCE! (If people hadn't hated Jimmy Carter with a fiery passion we'd have had metric by now)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 12, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be fair, if the 40K setting bore any resemblance to reality however tangential humans in the year 40,000 would almost certainly be physiologically different from 2014 humans. That said this is why I generally ignore listed measurements for things in 40K because they're almost always some stripe of dumb. People are normal people, space marines are towering transhuman angels of death. "Short for a space marine" should still be unusually tall, even if it's within the realm of human plausibility, and even an "only humanly" tall Astartes shouldn't just be tall but built like a brick shithouse too.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

1m=1yard, 2km=1m, 1kg=2lbs. SCIENCE! (If people hadn't hated Jimmy Carter with a fiery passion we'd have had metric by now)

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only the metric system.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

loving Reagan, man. Half of our loving problems.

I actually think that there should be some version of space-imperial units used by the general Imperium, with the Metric system being only for the well educated/a theological Mechanicus doctrine like binary. At some point GW should really decide just how backwards humanity is, because they seem less so every time some grunt says "oh that's your basic cold-fusion generator."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

In case I was being unclear, I meant entire groups of guardsmen who for some reason are all 2 metres tall. Their deviation would go from 1.85 to 2.15cm or something instead.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Tias posted:

In case I was being unclear, I meant entire groups of guardsmen who for some reason are all 2 metres tall. Their deviation would go from 1.85 to 2.15cm or something instead.

Wow, way to hate on the Cadian Globetrotters!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Isn't the average guardsman is 2 metres tall thing from the Gaunt books? I remember Tanith people being described as being taller on average than most people form other planets.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Waci posted:

Isn't the average guardsman is 2 metres tall thing from the Gaunt books? I remember Tanith people being described as being taller on average than most people form other planets.

It's been a while since I've read them but I actually remember it the other way round. The Tanith First and Only were like 6ft plus on average and they were being dwarfed by their heavy infantry sister battalions who came from noble houses.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Clearly Guardsmen are like Orks. The longer they fight, the bigger they get.

Also, I put up a Deathwatch recruit!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 12, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Doodmons posted:

It's been a while since I've read them but I actually remember it the other way round. The Tanith First and Only were like 6ft plus on average and they were being dwarfed by their heavy infantry sister battalions who came from noble houses.

Really? I guess you could go with Imperial nobles having undergone 10 000 years of genetic engineering and magic medical technology, but I could've sworn the Tanith were described as being unusually tall, at least compared to Ghosts from elsewhere.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
As someone who is 6'10, the way marines are presented in pretty much everything from books to images puts them far, far above me in terms of height. 8 feet at the very least. When I was working out and actually had muscles in the army, I weighed in at 160 kilos. I wasn't super beefcake, but in pretty good shape. Most fluff lists marines at anywhere from double to quintuple that without their armor. Marines are huge. Them passing as regular humans is about as likely as me passing as a midget.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

They're perfectly capable of passing as normal humans when it is narratively convenient for them to do so.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It really matters who you're trying to pass them off to. "This is my mutant friend" will work on 99.9% of humanity. Most will not even ask. Remember, this is a universe where the likelihood of seeing a space marine in any context is very low, with hearing anything about them not being much more likely. When you factor in the billions of mutants floating around and the weird defects that can occur on various planets, roughly no one will care unless they are looking for space marines.

There are of course seventeen Imperial subfactions that are even more secretive and elite than space marines, but nothing in the setting makes sense when examined closely. So if it would disrupt your no doubt carefully-planned game to constantly be worrying about who recognizes the space marine, you're well within your rights as a GM to just handwave it.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Hell, it's possible to spend xp to start with the Hulking mutation in Rogue Trader, making your character as big as a space marine in power armor. Having a huge mutant bodyguard also doesn't seem that farfetched, if you want to use that as your disguise.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The most telling difference between an unarmoured marine and a big mutant is the marine's mightier-than-thou attitude.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

In general I just think of 40k as being so packed full of people with weird implants/modifications and from such a weird range of planets and other places that just being a big guy isn't going to draw any attention. Like you look at Catachans and those are apparently some regular dudes, and then on the other hand you have everything John Blanche ever drew for this setting, and suddenly a guy who is 8ft tall is only worth remarking if you are on some backwater planet that doesn't see much traffic and doesn't have slag-pits filled with mutating underhivers.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
I know Inquisition War had them passing of an unarmored Imperial Fist as some sort of genetically engineered mutant servant, admittedly on a backwater Imperial world.

I'm currently playing a campaign as a pampered 17 year old naval cadet turned Rogue Trader and since I don't have Forbidden Lore (Xenos) I'm playing it that my character thinks the Ork in our crew is an Ogryn that somebody painted green as a joke.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's a perfectly in-setting way to approach things as the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer describes Orks as weedy, scrawny creatures of marginal threat and who are you to argue with the Munitorium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Even on a world that's not in the stone age, a marine could mumble something about having "worked" for a Genetor when questioned. The other party would need some pretty high level of knowledge about both marine physiology and the adeptus mechanicus to be able to tell the difference and call bullshit on that.