Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PriorMarcus posted:

Season Five is legitimately amazing. It has some dud episodes, like the Vampire Fish one and the Silurian's, but the rest is quality. Then it has the best Christmas special after it too, and an amazing return, before The Day of the Moon takes a big poo poo and begins racing downhill.

I thought the fish one was pretty good as well, if only for that awesome stand off between the Doctor and what's-her-face. Otherwise it was perfectly serviceable.

The Daleks one was properly naff, and the two two-parters were, chronologically, not great and pretty bad. Still, for modern Who, an 8 out of 13 hit rate is utterly spectacular.

Doctor What was right, incidentally. As soon as Smith got the fancy hair and jacket, that's where everything goes wrong. This even holds true to the Sarah Jane Adventures episode he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Barry Foster posted:

Doctor What was right, incidentally.

I'd hoped the thread was at the point where this went without saying :smug:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

the silurian two parter did have that ending where rory gets erased from time, i felt that kind of made up for the mediocrity

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Barry Foster posted:

Doctor What was right, incidentally.
Please don't troll

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I thought season 7 was alright for the most part. Season 6 was a disappointing pileup, shame really as The Silence really looked like they had the potential be classic villains and I was extremely interested to learn more about River Song after season 5.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
season 7 was alright but didnt have anything standout
6 started strong but ended on a whimper

8 is a nice return to form, but I still prefer season 5 over it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I loved every Smith season so much. By far my favorite of the revival doctors. My only criticism of Smith's run is that, as much as I loved them, the Ponds hung around too long, their arc had a natural conclusion in S6 and the time spent on them in S7 should have been devoted to making Clara not terrible.

Also his fancy hair and jacket owned, gently caress you guys

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Edit: wrong tab

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm legitimately more excited about the next review than I was for the series finale on Saturday.

This is going to be an amazing review. Even better, because I haven't watched either of these in their entirety since they first aired. And Occ is going to remind me why.

I gotta remember to pick up some popcorn on the way home from work.

Edit: Oh god what if he likes it because RTD got away with jerking the fans' chains or something equally ridiculous and out of left field?

Filox fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 11, 2014

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think what they're saying is that it's a "clean shaven rykker means bad episode" thing more than "ugh it looks awful" thing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rannos22 posted:

I think what they're saying is that it's a "clean shaven rykker means bad episode" thing more than "ugh it looks awful" thing.

I meant both, to be honest.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Season 5 is the only season I have rewatched since I got into this dumb show. It is by far my favorite.

DeafNote posted:

season 7 was alright but didnt have anything standout
6 started strong but ended on a whimper

8 is a nice return to form, but I still prefer season 5 over it

Man, reading stuff like this brings home just how differently a lot of people think of this show. It's making me feel kind of old. I just don't think of a year of Doctor Who as something I'd want to rewatch as a series, even though these days they keep trying to tell year-long stories in some form or another. All of them* are still basically episodic, all of them are hit and miss to some extent, all of them have bits I'm happy never to see again. And all of them have at least something that I'll always be happy to watch again.

*except Jon Pertwee's first year, which is unique in terms of its sustained quality and excellence from start to finish

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The first season of the Third Doctor is just, as you said, uniquely perfect.

Not a single bad episode or serial.

I don't think there is any 'best season', but there is a perfect one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Or how hilarious his review of the next episode will be. Though I don't want to say why now, in case he's still lurking.
IMO this review is the most tense sci-fi cliffhanger

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was odd, after Let's Kill Hitler it really seemed to get worse and worse. Individual episodes got stupider (Dalek zombies with eyestalks coming out of their heads! That weeping angels in New York episode!) and the story arcs got... disconnected, like Moffat forgot how to have events in one episode relate to another. Even this last series, which has definitely gone uphill (how would you even go down from Time Of The Doctor) pretty much gets by on visuals, Capaldi, and giving Clara an actual personality; the episodes are as stupid and the story arcs as paint-by-numbers as ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Let's Kill Hitler was pretty good and so was Series 6 in general.

Oxxi vanish. *throws smoke bomb*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
LKH is Moffat giving the majority of the fanbase a giant middle finger as he completely disappears up his own rear end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Someone draw a cartoon of that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Let's Kill Hitler was awful.

There there's the gambit of opinions. Positive, neutral, negative.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

maaaan occ's gonna be SO MAD he might actually quit the thread and then I'll never get him to listen to CBakes on audio

If you can get Occ's to listen to a Colin Baker Big Finish audio, I will not only review The Twin Dilemma and Timelash, I will BUY them on DVD and put them in my collection. :toxx:

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

LKH is Moffat giving the majority of the fanbase a giant middle finger as he completely disappears up his own rear end.

I think that was pretty much all of season 6.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I remember liking it, but considering some of the stuff Moffat has pulled, I've been kind of leery of rewatching anything since he took over (except The Eleventh Hour, which I love.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Enjoy the next episode, Occ. Smith/Tate is my favorite Doctor/Companion pair.
ahahahahahaha

Oxxidation posted:

Oxxi vanish. *throws smoke bomb*

I knew I loved you for a reason

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well now people are just outright lying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's probably a good thing we're doing this tonight or I'd just have to lock the thread outright 'til Friday, you people are dogshit at being clever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously if The Master and Davros threw Occ for a loop, the Great Intelligence is going to loving flummox the poor guy.

He was in TWO serials, one of which still doesn't exist anymore! What the gently caress Moffat

Oxxidation posted:

It's probably a good thing we're doing this tonight or I'd just have to lock the thread outright 'til Friday, you people are dogshit at being clever.

This is part of the reason why I brought up this bit.

Because really, it'd be like if the Macra were brought back and also made the main villains of a season. It doesn't really make sense

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

If he's still reading that thread just lock it anyway, there have been too many really unsubtle posts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Seriously if The Master and Davros threw Occ for a loop, the Great Intelligence is going to loving flummox the poor guy.

He was in TWO serials, one of which still doesn't exist anymore! What the gently caress Moffat

You don't even need to know the GI was a prior villain in that series, is the thing - he's still given his own private arc within the season, with a beginning, middle, and end. I didn't know word one about him and it didn't hinder me any, though his origin was a bit silly given what a threat he ended up becoming.

Rusty just throws a character at us and goes REMEMBER THIS GUY, while cool and good people scratch their heads and you people cheer in the background.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

You don't even need to know the GI was a prior villain in that series, is the thing - he's still given his own private arc within the season, with a beginning, middle, and end. I didn't know word one about him and it didn't hinder me any, though his origin was a bit silly given what a threat he ended up becoming.

Rusty just throws a character at us and goes REMEMBER THIS GUY, while cool and good people scratch their heads and you people cheer in the background.

Except that's not really the case in the country this is being made for.

The characters Rusty brought back are about as iconic as the show itself is- in Britain.

Can't help it you're ignorant towards it. Hell even people in America, if all they had seen previously was the Fox TV Movie, which was my first introduction to the show, would have some KIND of idea of who the Master was.

NO ONE but the biggest Who nerds knew who the hell the Great Intelligence was or why the Doctor would almost remember him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Moffat's run in general has been great - 5, 6, and 8 were all amazing, and 7 was 2/3rds wonderful with a couple really really bad episodes (the Time of the Doctor, Angels In Manhattan.)

Also the Ponds should come back and stay forever even if it would wreck their character arc I DON'T CARE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

I hate anyone who does that coy not-a-spoiler poo poo in any context and the only reason I'm not bringing it up is because I don't want to attract any attention from Occ, and because there's no doubt going to be more in the near future. I'm just telling him to stay out of all Who threads until his next writeup is posted.

Yeah I wish people would stop trying to be clever about posting allusions to future events, they're rarely as subtle as they think they are. Even when they are, somebody else tries to play along and just blunders right into an open spoiler. Just let Occ experience this stuff for himself to either his great glee or his tremendous horror.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Except that's not really the case in the country this is being made for.

The characters Rusty brought back are about as iconic as the show itself is- in Britain.

Can't help it you're ignorant towards it.

Why don't you go pay an old lady an exorbitant salary to live in a castle about it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite thing about the retcon of the Great Intelligence was that after being beaten by the 11th Doctor, it next encounters the 2nd Doctor on two different occasions and you'd think it would be able to pull one over on this younger, more inexperienced Doctor.... only it promptly gets chumped twice and only survives the second encounter by a pure stroke of luck when Jamie believes the Doctor is in peril and accidentally allows it to escape.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Psybro posted:

God I love the language in Holmes episodes so much. You've got 'abase', 'perfidious' and 'abominated' all flying about on a Saturday teatime, and the way 'abhorrence' explodes off Tom's lips is just delicious.

Turns out I can do a pretty good Sutekh impression. Along with my impression of Soldeed from The Horns of Nimon I reckon I have all I need to put together a travelling show

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I wish people would stop trying to be clever about posting allusions to future events, they're rarely as subtle as they think they are. Even when they are, somebody else tries to play along and just blunders right into an open spoiler. Just let Occ experience this stuff for himself to either his great glee or his tremendous horror.

Basically this. The thread is so much more fun when the crazy just comes out of nowhere. The piling on going on in the thread right now is just the worst, and serves no purpose in the end.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soothing Vapors posted:

The outfit Smith wore in the last half of season 7 looked like something created by a costume department. The tweed jacket was far superior in every way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

The Great Intelligence's appearance required no outside information. You weren't supposed to go, "Holy poo poo! It's the Great Intelligence!" All that mattered for the stories in the new series is that he was a disembodied monster with a grudge. Other bits were there for people in the know to nudge each other in the ribs and go, "Did you see that? He has a map of the London Underground. And the monsters are snowmen!"

Compare that to the Master and Davros where you were clearly supposed to go, "Holy poo poo! It's the Master/Davros!" That was all that was established for those guys (and in Davros's case, all he got to do).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Random Stranger posted:

The Great Intelligence's appearance required no outside information. You weren't supposed to go, "Holy poo poo! It's the Great Intelligence!" All that mattered for the stories in the new series is that he was a disembodied monster with a grudge. Other bits were there for people in the know to nudge each other in the ribs and go, "Did you see that? He has a map of the London Underground. And the monsters are snowmen!"

Compare that to the Master and Davros where you were clearly supposed to go, "Holy poo poo! It's the Master/Davros!" That was all that was established for those guys (and in Davros's case, all he got to do).

Didn't the Doctor even have a line that was something like, "Great Intelligence, something familiar about that...hmmm...oh well." You shouldn't be expected to remember GI because even the Doctor doesn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The other thread was closed as I was posting, but the latest review reminded me anew of something that bugged me about the Shadow Proclamation.

Throughout the preceding seasons there actually seemed to be a measure of compulsion to their authority - like the Doctor would proclaim their name and the aliens who heard it seemed powerless to resist succumbing to that authority and answering the Doctor's questions etc. Like they weren't just Space Police, but some kind of universal contract that all the spacefaring races of the universe had been signed up to and had it hardwired into their brains that they couldn't resist or something.

Instead we get.... albino lady and a couple of space-rhinos. Then they pretty much disappear from the series entirely and the closest thing we've seen to them since then is the Church of the Papal Mainframe. I liked the idea of the universe stitching itself back together in the wake of the Time War and the "higher races" being shaken enough to agree to such a radical step as putting themselves all under the authority of some detached and all-encompassing concept, a kind of Space-UN with an undeniable mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

howe_sam posted:

The outfit Smith wore in the last half of season 7 looked like something created by a costume department. The tweed jacket was far superior in every way.

I liked the long green coat he wore, but I don't remember it being in very many episodes.

• Locked thread