  • Post
Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

meanieface posted:

:yotj: congrats you!

Content: I'm so frustrated with my boss's standards with hiring. I wish darkhelmut were local so I could sit them down together and talk this out. We need our empty spot filled already.

For your convenience, Dark Helmut is available by phone or Skype! PM me. Not to mention my company has ~30 similarly-minded offices nationwide. I try not to pitch us here, but the fact is if you need me just shine the bat symbol into the sky.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm working on a project to implement high availability and a DMZ to an EDI system that currently processes over 6 billion dollars worth of revenue through a spof with no firewall :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird - but I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking for development resources in Latin America. Some of the best developers I've ever worked with have been remote from Uruguay, Argentina, and Panama via global outsourcing companies.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynist posted:

Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird

I think that if you look for great coders, you'll find them everywhere, India included. But if you're looking for budget programmers, you'll find a lot in India. The result is that the two get associated.

I think it just goes back to an earlier point: You get what you pay for.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that if you look for great coders, you'll find them everywhere, India included. But if you're looking for budget programmers, you'll find a lot in India. The result is that the two get associated.
I think one of the bigger issues with india is that there is basically no overlap with US business hours. It's a lot harder to even have a conference call.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Misogynist posted:

Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird - but I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking for development resources in Latin America. Some of the best developers I've ever worked with have been remote from Uruguay, Argentina, and Panama via global outsourcing companies.

This man speaks the truth, my brother did a lot of health insurance software implementation and a good portion of their coders were from I believe Argentina and they were awesome. I got to hang out with them for a couple days when I was vising my brother and they flew in, super smart dudes and really good at their jobs.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm currently in Mexico City and there's some kickass devs here - Amazon apparently recruits a lot from Mexico.

meanieface posted:

:yotj: congrats you!

Thanks :3:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just got a call. My potential :yotj: is a no-go. The good news is that I wasn't very happy with the way the salary negotiation went so I guess I get to back out of that without regret.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I found this relevant to our on-going job discussions:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141110134547-20017018-why-most-hiring-processes-are-ineffective-and-even-insulting

LinkedIn posted:

Smart companies don't care how long you've been doing what you do. Years of service indicate nothing; you could be the worst 10-year programmer in the world.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Erwin posted:

Why wouldn't you just use a regular wireless bridge? Ubiquiti makes great stuff for this application, and you can get a pair of NanoStations for like $100.

Well, FSO isn't subject to wireless interference and I'm in the middle of Boston in an office building, our Ruckus network is already suffering from heavy interference.

BTW, Ubiquiti are a bunch of loving clowns, their most vaunted feature Zero Handoff is basically still in alpha, I bought all their poo poo 2 years ago and everything about them was just painful as hell and one of my biggest IT regrets.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We had a hiring process go horribly wrong recently. We were hiring a programmer as a W2 contractor through a third party (same set up my current employment is set up as), our boss described him as "quirky". The friday before his start date, he's speaking to the third party and demanded a $1,000 sign on bonus to buy "Stuff he needs for the job" but wouldn't elaborate. He also wanted more compensation - whenever the 3rd party said that wasn't possible, he would hang up on them. He did this 3 times and the third time he said he won't take the job. He must've thought this was how you negotiate your hourly rate, because come Monday, dude shows up at the front desk thinking it's his first day. We had to have the 3rd party come in and explain to him that he doesn't actually have the job since he literally said he isn't going to work here and hung up on them, so he just says "Forget it, I don't want to work for you" and leaves off into the sunset.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Well, FSO isn't subject to wireless interference and I'm in the middle of Boston in an office building, our Ruckus network is already suffering from heavy interference.

BTW, Ubiquiti are a bunch of loving clowns, their most vaunted feature Zero Handoff is basically still in alpha, I bought all their poo poo 2 years ago and everything about them was just painful as hell and one of my biggest IT regrets.
Airfiber is pretty awesome and with line of sight you are very unlikely to see any interference issues. I would stay away from it if you are going for real distance, but your description leads me to believe it is very short range.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sepist posted:

[...]

People are crazy. Allow me to post the resignation letter one of my consultants sent to EVERY MEMBER OF THE DEV TEAM at my client, without consulting me first. This was about 6 months after I started recruiting. I don't think I've posted this here, but take a long, long drink from this cup of crazy.