Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

meanieface posted:

:yotj: congrats you!

Content: I'm so frustrated with my boss's standards with hiring. I wish darkhelmut were local so I could sit them down together and talk this out. We need our empty spot filled already.

For your convenience, Dark Helmut is available by phone or Skype! PM me. Not to mention my company has ~30 similarly-minded offices nationwide. I try not to pitch us here, but the fact is if you need me just shine the bat symbol into the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm working on a project to implement high availability and a DMZ to an EDI system that currently processes over 6 billion dollars worth of revenue through a spof with no firewall :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird - but I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking for development resources in Latin America. Some of the best developers I've ever worked with have been remote from Uruguay, Argentina, and Panama via global outsourcing companies.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynist posted:

Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird

I think that if you look for great coders, you'll find them everywhere, India included. But if you're looking for budget programmers, you'll find a lot in India. The result is that the two get associated.

I think it just goes back to an earlier point: You get what you pay for.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that if you look for great coders, you'll find them everywhere, India included. But if you're looking for budget programmers, you'll find a lot in India. The result is that the two get associated.
I think one of the bigger issues with india is that there is basically no overlap with US business hours. It's a lot harder to even have a conference call.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Misogynist posted:

Indian coders rightly get a bad rap - the differences in culture, language and and timezone will always make things really weird - but I wouldn't discourage anyone from looking for development resources in Latin America. Some of the best developers I've ever worked with have been remote from Uruguay, Argentina, and Panama via global outsourcing companies.

This man speaks the truth, my brother did a lot of health insurance software implementation and a good portion of their coders were from I believe Argentina and they were awesome. I got to hang out with them for a couple days when I was vising my brother and they flew in, super smart dudes and really good at their jobs.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm currently in Mexico City and there's some kickass devs here - Amazon apparently recruits a lot from Mexico.

meanieface posted:

:yotj: congrats you!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just got a call. My potential :yotj: is a no-go. The good news is that I wasn't very happy with the way the salary negotiation went so I guess I get to back out of that without regret.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I found this relevant to our on-going job discussions:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141110134547-20017018-why-most-hiring-processes-are-ineffective-and-even-insulting

LinkedIn posted:

Smart companies don't care how long you've been doing what you do. Years of service indicate nothing; you could be the worst 10-year programmer in the world.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Erwin posted:

Why wouldn't you just use a regular wireless bridge? Ubiquiti makes great stuff for this application, and you can get a pair of NanoStations for like $100.

Well, FSO isn't subject to wireless interference and I'm in the middle of Boston in an office building, our Ruckus network is already suffering from heavy interference.

BTW, Ubiquiti are a bunch of loving clowns, their most vaunted feature Zero Handoff is basically still in alpha, I bought all their poo poo 2 years ago and everything about them was just painful as hell and one of my biggest IT regrets.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We had a hiring process go horribly wrong recently. We were hiring a programmer as a W2 contractor through a third party (same set up my current employment is set up as), our boss described him as "quirky". The friday before his start date, he's speaking to the third party and demanded a $1,000 sign on bonus to buy "Stuff he needs for the job" but wouldn't elaborate. He also wanted more compensation - whenever the 3rd party said that wasn't possible, he would hang up on them. He did this 3 times and the third time he said he won't take the job. He must've thought this was how you negotiate your hourly rate, because come Monday, dude shows up at the front desk thinking it's his first day. We had to have the 3rd party come in and explain to him that he doesn't actually have the job since he literally said he isn't going to work here and hung up on them, so he just says "Forget it, I don't want to work for you" and leaves off into the sunset.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Well, FSO isn't subject to wireless interference and I'm in the middle of Boston in an office building, our Ruckus network is already suffering from heavy interference.

BTW, Ubiquiti are a bunch of loving clowns, their most vaunted feature Zero Handoff is basically still in alpha, I bought all their poo poo 2 years ago and everything about them was just painful as hell and one of my biggest IT regrets.
Airfiber is pretty awesome and with line of sight you are very unlikely to see any interference issues. I would stay away from it if you are going for real distance, but your description leads me to believe it is very short range.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sepist posted:

We had a hiring process go horribly wrong recently. We were hiring a programmer as a W2 contractor through a third party (same set up my current employment is set up as), our boss described him as "quirky". The friday before his start date, he's speaking to the third party and demanded a $1,000 sign on bonus to buy "Stuff he needs for the job" but wouldn't elaborate. He also wanted more compensation - whenever the 3rd party said that wasn't possible, he would hang up on them. He did this 3 times and the third time he said he won't take the job. He must've thought this was how you negotiate your hourly rate, because come Monday, dude shows up at the front desk thinking it's his first day. We had to have the 3rd party come in and explain to him that he doesn't actually have the job since he literally said he isn't going to work here and hung up on them, so he just says "Forget it, I don't want to work for you" and leaves off into the sunset.

People are crazy. Allow me to post the resignation letter one of my consultants sent to EVERY MEMBER OF THE DEV TEAM at my client, without consulting me first. This was about 6 months after I started recruiting. I don't think I've posted this here, but take a long, long drink from this cup of crazy.

Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:59 AM
To: Dark Helmut
Cc: Every f'ing member of my client's dev and mgmt team
Subject: Heart of Darkness

Dark Helmut,

There is a situation that requires your attention and I cannot let it go on any longer. After very careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I must respectfully resign my position. I am so sorry this has happened, but I see no other honorable way out. I cannot express enough gratitude for your efforts and the efforts and patience of the people at [client]. The people there are some of the finest I have ever met and the work is most fascinating, but my progress is unacceptable by any reasonable standards. I do not have the ability at this point to dive into and take ownership of a suite of highly complex and sophisticated applications. Small organizations do not have room for unproductive employees. I have tried my best and have used every waking hour of my days and nights in order to overcome the incredible learning curve associated with the Junior Developer position at [client]. Have expressed my difficulties on multiple occasions and have been met with a certain resistance to "face the facts of life". They truly need someone with more experience than I. This is not a confidence nor self-esteem issue. I just don’t have what it takes to help them. I refuse to be an ineffectual employee. I just didn't have the heart to mention this previously because I really wanted this to work out, but if I don't take action now; it would be considered very irresponsible.
Dedication and a "can do" attitude can only take you but so far. According to my calculations I would need another year's experience just to be able to survive in that type of environment. It also appears to me that they have an array of very capable people, but only one person there truly understands the inner workings of their most sophisticated products. He never should have been allowed to develop such applications without checks to ensure sure footed manageability and maintainability. After spending days looking over their code and noticing maybe 100 lines of documentation for every 100,000 lines of code; I cannot fathom how anyone with an I.Q. under 160 could possibly grasp such an overwhelming amount of code without documentation or some kind of model emulation. I have mentioned this on more than one occasion and they just don't believe it and don't seem to understand that you cannot throw an entry level person into a mid-level experience position with little to go on and expect fruitful results. You don't have to take my word for it, use your resources and ask around. I am 100% confident in my assertions. I urge you to speak with them in order to help them find the right person for the position involved, because one thing is for sure; they are most definitely not listening to what I am saying.
I am highly honored to have been given the chance of a lifetime, but it would be a great disservice to them to allow this to continue any further. I recall that [the CIO] likes to call the developers “men”. I’m not so sure the others know exactly what is meant by that, but I do. If you are to be considered a man you must take responsibility for your actions; and I know that all too well. The underlying theme to one of the greatest novels ever written overshadows that very idea. The author is Joseph Conrad and the title is the subject of this e-mail.

:psyboom:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Ask us about one of our new hires in desktop support, who could not tell the difference between a voice and data port. He has 15 years experience of desktop support.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Heh,

quote:

3. They make candidates jump through needless administrative hoops.

No poo poo, I've spent more time copying and pasting bits of my resume into crappy 200x100 pixel web-forums than I have actually creating one. What's the point? :bang:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Sucks to be you. Zero handoff works fine for me, but I wasn't talking about their APs anyway. Their bridges are fine, especially for your application. Or go with your laserbeams, whatever.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
An issue started creeping up in the morning on some of our application servers. Things were handed over to the devs but I was doing a little deep diving into the logs and decided to toss them up on splunkstorm. I really miss having splunk index everything like we had in my last job. Splunkstorm isn't have bad though. You can just toss it log files if you want to do some quick investigation without setting up forwarding of anything. Its so nice to be able to compare stats, narrow down timeframes, get charts of error counts over time etc. You can store 20GB of data free, and then purge it later if you don't need it. I think the data storage is based on their compressed size too, so 50MB of logs I tossed up ended up being a few MB.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Very often the people in charge of recruitment have no idea how to recognize a good technical person. They want a check list of acronyms they can check off so if they hire a dud they can cover their arse. If they hire a dud with 3 years experience, they say "next time we'll get someone with 6 years!".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

People are crazy.
:psyboom:

A little different but on the subject of un-professionalism one of my trainers told the entire class of 25 people about her acid trip downtown where lost her shoes and started freaking out. She saw some homeless guy, sucker punched him and stole his bike.

I miss that job :smith:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My current job is just awful in about 16 different ways, so I'm looking to jump ship. I think I'm looking for some kind of not entry-level Windows admin job, anybody care to take a look at my resume and critique it? I've actually paid for the resume2interview service from the guy here on SA, but he just kept trying to turn me into a help desk drone, even after I explicitly said that's not what I'm looking for, so I just gave that up. I suppose I could pass him this and see if there's any polishing to be done, but any thoughts from the experts here?
Thanks in advance.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2UziKgugmFybk5jYzB4MEhhNWc/view?usp=sharing
E: I'm also just starting to study for the MCSA: Windows Server, but that probably doesn't belong on the resume until I've actually got it, right? Though there is a job I'm looking for that requires an MCSA so I'd probably mention it in the cover letter.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 11, 2014

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Paging Dark Helmut

I have a face to face "pre-interview" with a staffing company before they let me interview with their client company. I've never been a fan of this practice but I haven't interviewed for a new job in a while so this may be the way things are now. One question - full suit like a normal interview or just slacks, shirt and tie?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I know it's a nitpick, but when I am looking at a resume, I pay attention to whether people actually know the proper spelling and punctuation they should be using to describe a product. Case in point, it's VMware and not VMWare. If you don't know the capitalization the vendor uses on their product, I am going to assume you have not seen it many times. I would add more specific details to your scripting experience. You've lumped them all together and basically said you wrote scripts to do stuff. Make use of all the whitespace on that page with a second column if you have to.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Good catch on the VMWare. I was super careful the first time I wrote it and then I guess just forgot the rest of the times.
E: Wait, no it's VMware, the w is lower case, not upper case. So I got it right 2 of 3 times.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 11, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

Good catch on the VMWare. I was super careful the first time I wrote it and then I guess just forgot the rest of the times.
E: Wait, no it's VMware, the w is lower case, not upper case. So I got it right 2 of 3 times.

Welp. I guess now I know to be more careful.

J
Jun 10, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

My current job is just awful in about 16 different ways, so I'm looking to jump ship. I think I'm looking for some kind of not entry-level Windows admin job, anybody care to take a look at my resume and critique it? I've actually paid for the resume2interview service from the guy here on SA, but he just kept trying to turn me into a help desk drone, even after I explicitly said that's not what I'm looking for, so I just gave that up. I suppose I could pass him this and see if there's any polishing to be done, but any thoughts from the experts here?

Bolded part concerns me quite a bit. I'm in a similar boat as you and was considering using that service but not if it's going to be geared toward helpdesk stuff. Was that resume you posted the one you got from the service?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

J posted:

Bolded part concerns me quite a bit. I'm in a similar boat as you and was considering using that service but not if it's going to be geared toward helpdesk stuff. Was that resume you posted the one you got from the service?

Same, I'm kind of curious and with his experience you're not a helpdesk drone.

What's the deal?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mayodreams posted:

For you guys that have done the SCC Vmware class, do you get the free copy of workstation still? I kinda forgot about that part.

Where did you read this? Is it only after the class is complete?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

J posted:

I mean, you tell the person what type of job you are looking for and give them a couple job postings for that position. I'm in the process of using it and this is not my experience at all. You do have to be active in the process and explain what your issues with it are, what you are looking for etc.

*EDIT* to give more info... I've asked for 2 resumes completely different from each other, one for a junior network admin and one for an implementation consultant and they are definitely not gearing towards HD. I'm guessing that there's something else at play here especially considering how many other people have had success, or perhaps it's the writer (but they go through 3 different writers during the process soooooo)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 12, 2014

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I agree with this. I applied for a job not knowing it was for a mid-senior level linux sysadmin, and outperformed everyone technically on the interview, with a little over a year of IT experience. It's because in that year I had worked for 2 different poorly run datacenters running them solo at night during the week, so I had seen a larger variety of problems and weird rear end issues that happen with people who don't know Linux attempt it blindly. That and there was a technical question that I had gotten correctly that hadn't been solved by any other interviewee (including my boss) in 3 years.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

adorai posted:

I know it's a nitpick, but when I am looking at a resume, I pay attention to whether people actually know the proper spelling and punctuation they should be using to describe a product. Case in point, it's VMware and not VMWare. If you don't know the capitalization the vendor uses on their product, I am going to assume you have not seen it many times. I would add more specific details to your scripting experience. You've lumped them all together and basically said you wrote scripts to do stuff. Make use of all the whitespace on that page with a second column if you have to.

This is absolutely solid advice. Attention to detail, ie punctuation, spacing, spelling, grammar are all paramount in a resume. Have periods after every bullet point, or after none, but keep it uniform. I'll try and look at the resume later tonight.

Fit as much relevant info on the first page as possible.

Your resume needs to answer the following questions:

Summary - Who are you?
Skills/Achievements/etc - What do you do?
Recent job history - What have you done lately?

Bullet points, not paragraphs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ugh I had a resume years ago that looked pretty good but it was written by a 3 year old and if you can't get basic poo poo like this right I am not trusting you with my clients

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sacred Cow posted:

Paging Dark Helmut

I have a face to face "pre-interview" with a staffing company before they let me interview with their client company. I've never been a fan of this practice but I haven't interviewed for a new job in a while so this may be the way things are now. One question - full suit like a normal interview or just slacks, shirt and tie?

I meet every one of my candidates in person before I submit them anywhere. If your recruiter is any good, he'll take time to get to know you, ask questions about who you are and what motivates you, where you want to be in 5 years, etc.

You can look at them as simply the gateway to this one job (which may be all they want and you want) or you can be open-minded to building a working relationship with someone who has a great view of the market and can serve as an extra set of eyes next time you want to look around.

As far as dress, I'm not a stickler, especially if you are coming from work or something, but if possible I would always suit up. Leaves your recruiter confident you will represent their company well and makes the best possible impression on someone you could be working for. At the end of the day, when you're on contract with me, you're my employee and you're representing my agency so just be mindful that in order to submit you we need to feel comfortable that you will make a good impression both during the interview and beyond.

Does that make sense?

In your meeting though, pay attention to the questions the recruiter asks you and if he is just shuffling you through or if it may be worth building a long term relationship with the company. Don't just ask about the client, ask about the agency and what their story is. It should be obvious if they suck or not! If they do indeed suck, then just use them to get through to the next step.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Dark Helmut posted:

As far as dress, I'm not a stickler, especially if you are coming from work or something, but if possible I would always suit up. Leaves your recruiter confident you will represent their company well and makes the best possible impression on someone you could be working for. At the end of the day, when you're on contract with me, you're my employee and you're representing my agency so just be mindful that in order to submit you we need to feel comfortable that you will make a good impression both during the interview and beyond.

Does this also apply to the West Coast? I will be looking for a more system admin type job in the next year or so, but I grew up with the honest belief that ties were for weddings and funerals.
Are suits really desirable over here? I have never worn one to an interview, always went well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

J posted:

I used R2I for the first IT job I landed, then updated that same resume with the pointers given in the first process to land my dream job.

I had a good experience with R2I and highly recommend it. :shrug:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I used R2I for the first IT job I landed, then updated that same resume with the pointers given in the first process to land my dream job.

I had a good experience with R2I and highly recommend it. :shrug:

Seconding. I'm about to pay the :10bux: to update mine because my current job has vastly different roles and responsibilities than my old job and I can't have my LI profile looking naked.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

It's not bad. Aside from the details stuff we mentioned earlier, I would flatten out the top and make better use of that white space. Center your name and put the contact info spaced out horizontally so it only takes up 1-2 lines. Down below, putting your skills in two columns will free up some more white space so you can fit more details about your job responsibilities and achievements. In four years, you have to be able to fit more details in, right?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Mrit posted:

Does this also apply to the West Coast? I will be looking for a more system admin type job in the next year or so, but I grew up with the honest belief that ties were for weddings and funerals.
Are suits really desirable over here? I have never worn one to an interview, always went well.

I readily admit my sphere of knowledge in recruiting and IT extends only so far geographically. Go with your gut on this, but at least on the east coast I would suit and tie it up for just about anything job related.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

I meet every one of my candidates in person before I submit them anywhere. If your recruiter is any good, he'll take time to get to know you, ask questions about who you are and what motivates you, where you want to be in 5 years, etc.

You can look at them as simply the gateway to this one job (which may be all they want and you want) or you can be open-minded to building a working relationship with someone who has a great view of the market and can serve as an extra set of eyes next time you want to look around.

Does that make sense?

In your meeting though, pay attention to the questions the recruiter asks you and if he is just shuffling you through or if it may be worth building a long term relationship with the company. Don't just ask about the client, ask about the agency and what their story is. It should be obvious if they suck or not! If they do indeed suck, then just use them to get through to the next step.

That actually makes me feel a little better about the experience. I've always worked directly with the company employing me so this is the first time I've dealt with a company that flat out told me they can't disclose any information about their client without a face-to-face first. Basically like you said, they want to make sure I'm living up to my resume and not a complete slob (she put it in much nicer terms). It felt like a red flag but they at least assured me its a full time gig with the client.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

gfsincere posted:

I agree with this. I applied for a job not knowing it was for a mid-senior level linux sysadmin, and outperformed everyone technically on the interview, with a little over a year of IT experience. It's because in that year I had worked for 2 different poorly run datacenters running them solo at night during the week, so I had seen a larger variety of problems and weird rear end issues that happen with people who don't know Linux attempt it blindly. That and there was a technical question that I had gotten correctly that hadn't been solved by any other interviewee (including my boss) in 3 years.

If it makes you feel better, it sounds like they got terrible candidates.

FISHMANPET posted:

Thanks in advance.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2UziKgugmFybk5jYzB4MEhhNWc/view?usp=sharing
E: I'm also just starting to study for the MCSA: Windows Server, but that probably doesn't belong on the resume until I've actually got it, right? Though there is a job I'm looking for that requires an MCSA so I'd probably mention it in the cover letter.

Projects, projects, projects. I'm 99% sure I know where you work. List project work. I'm more interested in what hard/big problems you've solved than what your day to day is.

Also, I could recommend a few recruiters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On a different note, rumor is IBM is dumping Flex and going to Cisco UCS. Oh boy...