Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I was actually gonna comment on it since I noticed it in a few shots, but I figured I was crazy from pixel peeping.

It's actually not terrible, it just shows up in annoying places that are hard to fix like reflections in the crutches or glass of water. The first shot where she drops everything it's kind of creating a bad cast on the midtones and shadows too, but I think that would've been an easy enough fix - push the gain in the midtones, maybe power windows around her arms and desaturate green or push the hue to more of a red.

Also, is that operatic vocal custom? Sounds like she's singing about Rolo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The music is all original and she is singing about Rolo, in Italian I think. Ha.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
This thread has been really quiet so I thought I'd try to liven things up a bit with some camera chat. Been working on two different features over the last month, one with the F55 and one an Alexa/Amira show. I'd never used the Amira before this and was pretty excited to be using it, it's on permanent B-cam/Steadicam/handheld duty while the Alexa does its A-cam thing. I've fallen deeply in love with it. It's just so well designed. Perfectly balanced, got some mass and inertia to it but it's still very lightweight (especially for an ARRI!). You can tell they put a lot of thought into designing it as a camera that works right out of the box, without needing to add any stupid 3rd party crap. Having it on your shoulders feels a lot like the old ENG cameras used to, the CG is in exactly the right place so that it feels perfectly balanced on your shoulders and setting it up on Steadicam takes seconds. Even little touches, like having the menu system on the operator side instead of the AC side (like the Alexa) show that they're really focused on making this a one-man-band camera, though admittedly that side is not the best place for the menu on a feature. I even really like the viewfinder!

During my time with it we experienced exactly zero problems. No crashes, no corruption of data, quick boot time, and it's 12v! The only thing that bugged me was that it's yet another different power plug. But I've given up on buying plugs and power cables and now just run any camera with the onboard battery, I'll gladly take the few extra pounds in weight if it saves me hundreds of dollars to get new plugs made every time a new camera comes out. I still have an entire case filled with different power plugs worth thousands and I rarely use any of them so it just seems like wasted money at this point.

So in all, being on this set felt a lot like my old film days where the A-cam was the heavy and tricked out Panaflex/Moviecam/ARRi, while the B-cam/Steadicam was the nice and lightweight, stripped down, Aaton. I enjoyed my time with the Amira tremendously and can't wait to shoot with it again.

Oh also the quality is obviously great, whatever, who cares at this level.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm selling four Sony HXR-NX5U camcorders with pelican cases over in SA-Mart at goon discount pricing if anyone here is in the market for that kind of thing.

:madmax:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Steadiman posted:

Amira stuff

Does anybody know how the Amira compares to the Sony F5 balance-wise? My company has been looking into upgrading from their old-rear end Panasonic ENGs, and the one they seem to be leaning toward is the F5, but I feel like all of the camera operators here are waaaay more interested in something like the Amira. I've ACed with the F5 once, and maybe it was the kit we had but it seemed closer to having a DSLR rig with the weight all out on your arms than it did to having an ENG cam on your shoulder.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never touched an Amira but I didn't think the F5's balance was that bad with the Raw recorder and a battery on the back. I don't know how well it compares to an ENG camera but it definitely seemed balanced compared to a DSLR rig.

xntrggr
Feb 15, 2008
the cooking god of steak
Having the raw recorder on the back helps a great deal with the balance of the F5. My set-up was the F5 with the Red 17-50 and the shoulder pad wasn't able to go forward enough to get a good balance of the rig. It also wasn't the most comfortable of shoulder pads.

The new Sony FS7 looks like a great camera to go on the shoulder.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, the F5 setup on that shoot wasn't the greatest, I don't think, but I figured I'd see what everyone else thought. The DP didn't want to use the shoulder pad, so he just had the rails on his shoulder. No raw recorder, either, just a Titan transmitter and hops, and it was not balanced well at all, but I wasn't sure if that was because his preference was weird or because it was not easy to set it up so it had decent balance. That was all before I started working for this company, though, and they seem to be leaning toward those. They've rented them for a couple shoots already to test them out, so I'm hoping this isn't going to be a painful (for my back) transition if they go through with it.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
For an out of the box shoulder camera I'd easily choose the Amira any day. It's really designed for shoulder mounting/documentary style shooting and the shoulder pad has great range of adjustment. Once you add the battery it becomes a very sweet system and certainly the equal of any old-school ENG camera. Slap on a nice zoom and you're good to go! The F5/F55 is decently balanced but really only becomes comfortable with some more weight behind it, especially with a zoom, it's a bit too small and forward-balanced by itself. So yeah, with the RAW deck and a battery it's pretty good, maybe a bit too much weight in the front still, depending on the lens, but perfectly doable. Personally I prefer a self-contained system where I don't need to add crap to make it balance well so, like I said, I would choose the Amira. By itself, without additional stuff, the F5/F55 is still better than anything else in its class (Epic, C-whatever-00, Blackmagic, etc.) but it could be better.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool poo poo in the lens world if you haven't already heard:

Canon's now making a 50-1000mm zoom lens for cinema and video with a constant T5.0 out to 560mm.

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2014/10/16/canon-announces-worlds-longest-cinema-zoom-50-1000mm/

Voigtlander's making a 10.5mm f0.95 lens for micro four thirds(effectively a 21mm compared to full-frame 35mm). They already make 17.5mm, 25mm and 42.5mm lenses at the same 0.95 f-stop, so they have a pretty solid set of manual primes for all the new GH4 and black magic users.

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/new-10-5mm-nokton-from-voigtlander-sure-to-please-micro-43-shooters/

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
I was the DP on this video a while back, quite pleased with the result for the little budget/time we had. Simple performance piece, shot on a C300 with Compact Primes. The band is called Chef'Special, I'd never heard of them but I'm told they're pretty popular in Holland. Very nice guys and fun to work with, one of the few videos I've done where I didn't mind the song and didn't want to blow my brains out after hearing it hundreds of times. Hope you like it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQ3QXqxZMw

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'm curious, how did you guys get to the point where you billed yourself as a cinematographer/DP/cameraman? I'd like to see if I could do production work as a hobby/side job, but I'm at a loss as far as how to get experience.

e: More specifically, it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of opportunities to get on a film crew without experience. If Craigslist is anything to go by (and if it's not, what are the alternatives?), even people asking for volunteer PAs on their student films want prior experience.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 29, 2014

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Yeah but how many K's does it have? Yeah that's what I THOUGHT. No thanks, I'll stick to my Canon Red Epic.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

Every time I see this camera, I keep wondering how to get rid of that ENORMOUS slab of empty space between the dovetail and the actual camera body. That shoulder pad gap is lovely for handheld maybe (assuming ENG lenses, because like with the Alexa, I feel CG is closer to the sensor plane), but on my rig? I fear the gap.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

JohnSherman posted:

I'm curious, how did you guys get to the point where you billed yourself as a cinematographer/DP/cameraman? I'd like to see if I could do production work as a hobby/side job, but I'm at a loss as far as how to get experience.

e: More specifically, it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of opportunities to get on a film crew without experience. If Craigslist is anything to go by (and if it's not, what are the alternatives?), even people asking for volunteer PAs on their student films want prior experience.
I just sort of fell into it when I got unwittingly upgraded from operator to DP on a feature (that was a weird first day, I can tell you!), I think there's no real set way to do it other than just going out and selling yourself as DP and waiting for people to hire you as such. Anyone can call themselves anything in this industry and try to get hired in that function, there's no certification or anything, but the proof is in the pudding so keep that in mind. Everybody's story is different in that regard. I would definitely recommend getting as much on-set experience before you start advertising yourself as a DP though, being a DP requires a lot of politics and knowledge of how sets operate (outside of the normal duties of being a DP obviously) so experience really is important here. As far as finding work, I can't imagine Craigslist being a good way to do it. Word of mouth is everything so you need to get your name out there, start coldcalling production companies and offer your services, maybe find an internship or see if you can get work at a rental company (great way to meet people). Just keep working that network and eventually you should be able to find your way onto a set. However it requires a lot of time and dedication and I'm not sure if your ambition of doing it as a hobby/side job will cut it, especially if you want to DP. I obviously have no idea of your background so maybe you already have a lot of experience but I'm basing this general response off the assumption that you don't.

SquareDog posted:

Yeah but how many K's does it have? Yeah that's what I THOUGHT. No thanks, I'll stick to my Canon Red Epic.
Can I borrow some of your K's? I promise I'll give them back when I'm done.

Tiresias posted:

Every time I see this camera, I keep wondering how to get rid of that ENORMOUS slab of empty space between the dovetail and the actual camera body. That shoulder pad gap is lovely for handheld maybe (assuming ENG lenses, because like with the Alexa, I feel CG is closer to the sensor plane), but on my rig? I fear the gap.
Don't fear the gap! The gap gave me no problems, it looks like a weak point but there were no vibrations that I could see. It's spread out pretty well because it attaches to the plate in front and back of the pad itself, just like an ENG camera, so it's not just all mounted on a single point (which would probably create vibration if that point wasn't exactly under the CG). Longest lens I had on it was a 70mm and that seemed fine during fast moves so I think the construction is very solid. Didn't check if the shoulder pad could be removed but I would assume that you can remove it if needed.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/111403592
#lightmetersareforpussies

(search for the original at your own peril, it's bad.)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Slim Pickens posted:

https://vimeo.com/111403592
#lightmetersareforpussies

(search for the original at your own peril, it's bad.)

:laffo: I know quite a few guys like that. :v:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The original makes me legitimately angry

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We just finished up two videos I'm fairly happy with.

This one was a pro-bono project so the color is... not great, but I think it turned out really well for two shoot days with me, the creative director, and a client contact. I still can't believe how many interviews we got:

https://vimeo.com/109478227

And a tunnel walk video for the local university's hockey team. This shoot was something of a disaster from the start thanks to a whole host of factors, but wound up OK:

https://vimeo.com/109281078

FEXO
Oct 25, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

I would suggest avoiding Craigslist for any real work experience when you are starting out. There are legitimate jobs there sometimes but you have to look through a ton of poo poo to find them and if you are just getting into the industry I doubt you will know how to distinguish the real from the poo poo. Like Steadiman says there is no set way to become a DP but if you have zero experience on a real set then I would suggest set experience should be your first priority. If you are having trouble landing gigs as a P.A. especially on student films I would suggest doing a little bullshitting about your experience. There really isn't anything I can think of that you will do as a PA that you can't learn on the fly plus most people will treat you like you don't know poo poo anyways. The big thing is to learn set etiquette. Just make sure you bust rear end and network as much as possible when you do land a gig. Also like Steadiman says real work in the industry isn't for the hobbyist. When you are starting out you are going to be doing some awful and boring poo poo. As far as alternatives to Craigslist I would say check out http://www.staffmeup.com , http://www.mandy.com/ , http://www.productionhub.com/jobs , http://www.entertainmentcareers.net/ . Also you should hit up your state's film office and see what they have to offer.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I'm about to direct one of those time-limited film competitions for the first time (in this case it's 100 hours). Had anyone done these? Any tips?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've worked crew on a couple 48 hour film fests, the biggest issue I noticed was having too many people trying to contribute to the script. Keep it to one or two writers, 6 people trying to put their creative mark on a script that needs to be locked in 4 hours is gonna create more headaches than you need.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Do as much as you can before filming begins, obviously. Try to have things so ready that you can walk in minutes before hour one and just start running. Things you didn't notice or didn't get done will pile up in advance and before long, you're spending more time not filming than filming.

A good staging area will save you an unbelievable amount of time.

Have food planned and ready in advance.

Other than that, just really pay attention to when you're slowing down and why. I had a 72-hour that I had to remove nearly all of the crew from the set because of the level of conversation and poo poo slowing things down. Have a spot-on shot list, let it dictate things, and you should be good.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I'm learning how to use my Sony a7S camera as a hobby, but at work there might be an opportunity for me to use it for actual video recording / production for a podcast, and I learn quick when necessity beckons. What kind of equipment should I be looking for?

I'm thinking I'll need a couple of things -
Recorder (almost certainly an Atomos Shogun)
Tripod
Microphones
Some sort of rig to mount things on?
Some sort of stabilizer for when the camera is going places?

Any recommendations?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you really need to be recording in 4k? I'd pull the shogun off till you know you need it.

Those are some basics, but it'd help to know what kinds of videos you might be doing.

Edit: didn't see the podcast thing. Do you have lights? Might want something there. How many people are on the podcast? What style is it?

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 9, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The rig and stabilizer are probably unnecessary for a podcast.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Might want to look into ND's if you're using an a7s and want to shoot at proper shutter speed.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That a7S might not be very user-friendly, and I'm guessing you'll have a hard time getting what you want out of it. So, out of the kindness of my heart, I'll offer to trade it for my much-easier-to-use GH2 and batteries 1:1. I think you'll find you're coming out on top on this deal, but I feel it's my responsibility to help other filmmakers in this thread in any way I can.

Honestly though, just worry about a decent tripod with a fluid head and not so much about fancy stabilizers. Cheapo ebay ones would work fine for now, but an older Manfrotto 501will pop up on craigslist fairly often and was probably only used to record the kid's basketball games. Rolling shutter can be kinda brutal on that camera, so handheld you might wanna avoid if you can.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pretty sure he's shooting video for a podcast so anything that costs more than $500 on the camera side is probably overkill.

Also I thought you only needed ND on the A7s if you shot s-log since the base ISO is so high? I assume shooting in any other gamma settings would be fine and a podcast probably doesn't need to capture more than like 8 stops of DR.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

Also I thought you only needed ND on the A7s if you shot s-log since the base ISO is so high? I assume shooting in any other gamma settings would be fine and a podcast probably doesn't need to capture more than like 8 stops of DR.

this is absolutely correct but why would you ever NOT shoot S-log?:colbert:

*~tHe RanGe~*

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

:ssh: Sometimes I shoot rec.709 and ProRes LT on my Blackmagic Camera because I plan on doing little to no color work in post.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

powderific posted:

Do you really need to be recording in 4k? I'd pull the shogun off till you know you need it.

Those are some basics, but it'd help to know what kinds of videos you might be doing.

Edit: didn't see the podcast thing. Do you have lights? Might want something there. How many people are on the podcast? What style is it?
I could just stick to the 1080p recording, yeah. It'd be kinda neat to shoot in 4K and crop shots after the fact, though. I'll ask about the lights; I don't expect to have to personally worry about that, since at least one other person will have some experience shooting video.

I haven't gotten the parameters of any video production (just that it's possible or likely), but I expect it to be a mix of indoors and outdoors. Probably two or three people, telling a story rather than purely conversational, so there's room for footage to be played.

Slim Pickens posted:

That a7S might not be very user-friendly, and I'm guessing you'll have a hard time getting what you want out of it. So, out of the kindness of my heart, I'll offer to trade it for my much-easier-to-use GH2 and batteries 1:1. I think you'll find you're coming out on top on this deal, but I feel it's my responsibility to help other filmmakers in this thread in any way I can.
Sounds like a terrible idea. The a7S isn't that confusing to use. I know I'm paying for more than I can use effectively right now, but I'm doing so consciously and plan to stick with the same equipment for the long term.

Slim Pickens posted:

Honestly though, just worry about a decent tripod with a fluid head and not so much about fancy stabilizers. Cheapo ebay ones would work fine for now, but an older Manfrotto 501will pop up on craigslist fairly often and was probably only used to record the kid's basketball games. Rolling shutter can be kinda brutal on that camera, so handheld you might wanna avoid if you can.
Thanks for the recommendations. Also, agreed; I've seen demonstrations of the rolling shutter so that's why I asked about stabilization and whether I should consider it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

:ssh: Sometimes I shoot rec.709 and ProRes LT on my Blackmagic Camera because I plan on doing little to no color work in post.

No you doooooooon't:cry:

I want an a7s real bad. Even shooting at ISO160 I've started to notice way too much grain on my t2i stills

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You must be doing something wrong because I've never noticed it on my T2i shots.

Fake edit: every camera has noise, even at the base ISO. This is why raw workflows include noise reduction.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Also, agreed; I've seen demonstrations of the rolling shutter so that's why I asked about stabilization and whether I should consider it.

Stabilization won't help with rolling shutter unfortunately, as it's not directly caused by camera wobble etc. It's caused by how the sensor works, basically the sensor in a dslr is a strip of vertical lines that turn on one after the other rather than the whole sensor being exposed at once. Rolling shutter happens because the bottom line is seeing something different to the top line in the same exposure.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

You must be doing something wrong because I've never noticed it on my T2i shots.

Fake edit: every camera has noise, even at the base ISO. This is why raw workflows include noise reduction.

Yeah I'm reading up on it and the t2i is capable of being practically noiseless even at ISO 400/800. There might be some sort of exposure compensation going on.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Sounds like a terrible idea. The a7S isn't that confusing to use. I know I'm paying for more than I can use effectively right now, but I'm doing so consciously and plan to stick with the same equipment for the long term.

:thejoke:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
Hey guys! I have some news for the thread....I made an app! Figured this was a nice place to share it too, so far the response has been overwhelming (it got released a few hours ago). It's called "Shot Assistant" and it's basically the app I always wanted. It's like a multitool for people who work with cameras, at its most basic it shows you level/pan/tilt but it has a few extra features that I think make it pretty unique and useful for on-set use. For one thing it does ranging, basically you store whatever angle your shot is currently at and the app will guide you back there with a bunch of visual cues including colors (useful for peripheral ranging). Also it has a seismograph which can be used to hunt down vibrations in shot. Finally it's made to be used with multi touch, the whole screen is a button and the functions change depending on how many fingers you use to touch it! This allows you to set it and store ranges without even looking at your device :) . Already have a bunch of stuff planned for the next version too but first I'm taking a few days off because the last month has been insane

So yeah, I'm pretty proud of it and I'm sharing it all over the place! Hope some of you find a use for it too

Have a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/id961651001

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Steadiman posted:

Hey guys! I have some news for the thread....I made an app! Figured this was a nice place to share it too, so far the response has been overwhelming (it got released a few hours ago). It's called "Shot Assistant" and it's basically the app I always wanted. It's like a multitool for people who work with cameras, at its most basic it shows you level/pan/tilt but it has a few extra features that I think make it pretty unique and useful for on-set use. For one thing it does ranging, basically you store whatever angle your shot is currently at and the app will guide you back there with a bunch of visual cues including colors (useful for peripheral ranging). Also it has a seismograph which can be used to hunt down vibrations in shot. Finally it's made to be used with multi touch, the whole screen is a button and the functions change depending on how many fingers you use to touch it! This allows you to set it and store ranges without even looking at your device :) . Already have a bunch of stuff planned for the next version too but first I'm taking a few days off because the last month has been insane

So yeah, I'm pretty proud of it and I'm sharing it all over the place! Hope some of you find a use for it too

Have a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/id961651001

NIce! Passing this around to our guys today.

edit: Also US link is here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id961651001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I'll put it on our slate iPad and get some of the guys to play around with it later today, thanks for the link!