Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

That’s 70 straight minutes of me flying around waiting for him to come out and fight while he sat back and smiled at me, commenting about how famous he was going to be for doing what he did.

Lol that guy sounds like a twat of the highest magnitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Well the fortress was right, he did become famous. Famous for being a giant prick. Good job you mega-wanker.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

how dare he let his insolent woman place a beer on the table. he has soiled the integrity of x-wing on the world stage

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I've never met him but lol. I'll vouch for Paul but lol if that's true. Maybe that's why he hasn't said anything on the nova squadron group. Funny enough, the one congratulatory post made in the group on Saturday name dropped Paul, Ira, and Roy, but not Richard.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

There was so much beer going around friday night into round 4 I'd be amazed if there was a single player not imbibing.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Sir, I am arresting you for PUI

Why is anyone giving this guy poo poo for having a beer on the table. Whether it's his or not is a moot point, I'm sure he's a grown adult who can make the decision as to whether or not he wants to have a beer.

Hopefully most TOs will just add a clause to the effect of 'anyone fortressing will be bottled by their beer wielding opponent'

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
One thing I really liked about X-Wing was reading about the awesome players and tournament scene. Even though I miss the early days of these threads when most people were just taking whatever and not worrying about being competitive, the attitude has always been right. Guess it was only a matter of time before the shitlords started showing up.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

spacegoat posted:

One thing I really liked about X-Wing was reading about the awesome players and tournament scene. Even though I miss the early days of these threads when most people were just taking whatever and not worrying about being competitive, the attitude has always been right. Guess it was only a matter of time before the shitlords started showing up.

I think it depends on your crowd. For example, this thread has some absolutely top-tier players in it AND has a some casual players (I'd consider myself in this category). I think everyone who posts here plays for fun anyway so yeah, the general vibe I get is always extremely positive.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think the shitlords are still a relatively small (5%) amount of the total players.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I want to run TIE Bombers against that dumb fortressing thing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I played in 6 rounds of xwing at worlds, and only played one douche: everyone else was extremely chill and relaxed, and fun to play against. I feel like that average is still quite hard to come by in most miniatures games.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

I played in 6 rounds of xwing at worlds, and only played one douche: everyone else was extremely chill and relaxed, and fun to play against. I feel like that average is still quite hard to come by in most miniatures games.

Outside of X-Wing the average minis gamer is objectively awful. Every group has someone nobody wants to play, I feel. In the X-Wing community I've fostered at my store there's one. My LCG group had one until just recently, too. When I've played GW games almost every player was awful.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm still confused at why the fortress is good? Isn't it better to be mobile so you can outmanuever your opponent and hit them with more then one ship at once? It looks like the fortress ruins that alltogether, how is it good?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Moriatti posted:

I'm still confused at why the fortress is good? Isn't it better to be mobile so you can outmanuever your opponent and hit them with more then one ship at once? It looks like the fortress ruins that alltogether, how is it good?

When engaging the fortress you must eventually turn around and take essentially a free turn of fire without fully effective fire of your own.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Moriatti posted:

I'm still confused at why the fortress is good?

Its almost universally not.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Moriatti posted:

His goal was to take away the maneuverability of the Phantom. Bunching up in a corner created a situation where TIEs have to be careful about flying off the board, and they can't arc dodge as well. He wanted to make the TIEs come to him.

It's not a great tactic, and certainly wouldn't work against most builds. It's definitely a prick move to sit still for 70 minutes in a timed environment at the most competitive event in the world for a game like this.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Meh. Hsu's tactics almost didn't pay off for him, so I don't this will be some "hot new tech" you see down at the shop. Fortressing, as I understanding it, isn't terribly new as a concept.

I'm stuggling to demonize someone who used a known but incredibly risky (if not stupid) tactic and almost lost. I'm more apt to blame the dice here.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It's not so much the tactic as the spirit. "I'm going to refuse to play the game and be snotty about it" is kind of a lovely thing to do in a community that's generally considered chill.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It seems like an issue that you could easily resolve with a ruling to the tune of "if two friendly ships remain deadlocked with each other for two turns in a row as a result of the maneuvers chosen by their controlling player then the next maneuver is chosen by the opponent;" Just something you can tuck away in a super technical, tournament-rules FAQ that'll be a non-factor to your average legitimate player.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I talked to a couple guys during the tournament tonight and they confirm that Hsu is a dick. Never seen him at a tournament around here so he probably moved out of the NoVA area, thank god.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

I talked to a couple guys during the tournament tonight and they confirm that Hsu is a dick. Never seen him at a tournament around here so he probably moved out of the NoVA area, thank god.

Where do you guys play mostly? I moved away from the area just as I was getting into X-Wing, but I think I may be back in a few months.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Join the group and ask, but normally you don't even have to if you just wait a week or two. Ronald puts up events every other week and I feel like I'm swamped for events lol. Tuesday at curio cavern, Wednesday at game parlor, and I think Thursday at games and stuff. Dunno about the smaller stores and out of those only curio does weekly tournaments - others have game nights. The others only host monthly tournaments.

Games and stuff (first Saturday of every month) is when Ira, Paul, Steve, Honter, and the other really good people play. That's when you'll learn the most as Paul and the others don't mind giving advice. Honter and Steve regularly play at curio, Paul regularly plays at huzzah or game parlor I think. He's from that area.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, it's not so much as 'It's overpowered' as 'It's obviously game manipulation in a manner not intended by development' - Yes, it's perfectly fine and legitimate to argue it's viable in the rules, so what's the big deal, but it's kind of lovely that you can 'play for time', then snipe at the end like this, as well as adding the threat of the board edges for one player (the guy who's still moving) but not the other.

Put it this way, if it's allowed to continue, it's only a matter of time before we get what we see in Street Fighter with Honda mirrors - Two players both fortressing in the corners pointlessly for 60+ minutes, hoping the other guy will crack first, which is dull for the players, looks awful on stream and is in the long-term, bad for the game, especially if it proves successful to be the guy who loses patience second and starts actually playing the game, because it encourages it further.

E: ^ Not to say the above was 'avoidance then snipe' is bad, because that's frankly par for the course in a game like this, I'm more arguing this method of avoidance is the issue.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, it's not so much as 'It's overpowered' as 'It's obviously game manipulation in a manner not intended by development'

And to do it in a tournament (Worlds, to boot) is just really lovely.

The judge should have basically recorded a loss against that guy after 15mn of not moving, just for being that unsportsmanlike.

edit: hooray, the post arrived:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 12, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It seems like an issue that you could easily resolve with a ruling to the tune of "if two friendly ships remain deadlocked with each other for two turns in a row as a result of the maneuvers chosen by their controlling player then the next maneuver is chosen by the opponent;" Just something you can tuck away in a super technical, tournament-rules FAQ that'll be a non-factor to your average legitimate player.

That, or they introduce a ship that can only lay throw bombs at ranges 4–5, but not any closer . :D

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Tippis posted:

That, or they introduce a ship that can only lay throw bombs at ranges 4–5, but not any closer . :D

That new scum Firespray does something pretty similar, at range 3

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

That new scum Firespray does something pretty similar, at range 3

I suppose that's decent enough, since there's a bit of an area to it and with fancy flying you could just chip away at them without ever getting into range. I was thinking 4+ more for the sake of explicitly saying “yeah, you sit still, and I'll disassemble your squad without giving you the opportunity to shoot back”.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well, holistically speaking, the fortress tactic may only be relevant against the hyper-mobile TIE Phantom/Interceptor anyway, anything packing Assault Missiles or HLC's will still have an advantage, and ships like the Firespray can already fire backwards which nullifies a draw of the 'fortress', that is being able to get in a round of unanswerable shooting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The lack of Wellington squares is probably a side effect of Han being the equivalent of a horse archer plinking away while driving donuts. It's p sweet

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

C3PO is that samurai balloon thing he's wearing in this terrible analogy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My least favourite part of buying X-wing stuff is putting it all away, but hey, this only took me an hour:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

Well, holistically speaking, the fortress tactic may only be relevant against the hyper-mobile TIE Phantom/Interceptor anyway, anything packing Assault Missiles or HLC's will still have an advantage, and ships like the Firespray can already fire backwards which nullifies a draw of the 'fortress', that is being able to get in a round of unanswerable shooting.

Fair point. I was looking too close at the fuckoffitude of the weapon itself to consider what ship would carry it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I only have the core set. Is it a bad idea to get the rebel and imperial aces along side a second core set, or should that wait?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Rebel Aces is awesome, get it. Imperial Aces has TIE Interceptors which are the best ship, (shut up, they are) but lacks the best Interceptor pilot. Get it too, and a regular Interceptor. And all the other ships.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Aces packs own, yeah. The X-Wing and Tie-Fighter expansions will likely be more fun than the extra core set, because they have awesome pilots and upgrades you don't get in the core set, namely Howlrunner and Wedge.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So it's a good next purchase after 2 cores? Or are their better second purchases?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

TIE Interceptor is a great pack to get for Imperials as Soontir Fel is probably the best pilot in the game. Millenium Falcon is also a great pickup for Rebels.

You really can't go wrong with 2 cores, though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I probably have a core set, a Lambda Shuttle, and a Tie Advanced for sale (possibly more) I got a lot of X-wing second hand and I'm still figuring out what to keep and what to shift.

Any chance you'd want to buy in?

E: And a Phantom. Dammit I need to sit down and figure this junk out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And to do it in a tournament (Worlds, to boot) is just really lovely.

The judge should have basically recorded a loss against that guy after 15mn of not moving, just for being that unsportsmanlike.

Haha no, no the judge shouldn't have. It's a tournament, using the very system the game is built around for an advantage isn't unsportsmanlike.

Sure if he did it at Thursday night funfights then shun him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Actually you'll find that in popular televised games, delay of game is a sweet and expected penalty. So really the problem here is delay of game should be implemented for next year.

• Locked thread