Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm not making a crusade over my specific case, or at least not intending to. I'm more so going "wow you guys take video games way too seriously and need to chill out. It's internet pixel spaceships for christ sake."

No that's not what you're doing at all otherwise you wouldn't repeatedly bring it up to everyone you think will listen via private message. What, you think people don't talk about how you PM them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

So what you're saying is, it still has nothing to do with what I said.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Get into a bomber or an interdictor and enjoy loving people's days up.

The bomber should take you about a month, while the Interdictor will take about two. They're both really useful and a hell of a lot of fun to fly.

Stealth bombers are rad as hell. I've been harassing every gate camp I find with bombs, haven't got on any killmails yet but ive sure killed a whole lot of drones

I made a bunch of BRAVE ishtars leave a wormhole camp cause I killed all their drones lmao

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

"GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS!!!!"

That just might work!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Widestancer posted:

Well apparently the people who get doxxed deserve it I guess so just deal with it friend DeadTear :smuggo:

Unfunny poster seems like a shithead so whatever but that attitude is really lovely, that "well you see, it's okay, it's your own fault".

I don't really care what you think about my attitude lol so you can dox that if you want.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

The in game stuff, heck, even the IP stuff makes sense. But the other stuff? The potential personal information that might be pulled out from that? You do realize what can result from that, right? Is the potential for that okay, in your eyes, and does victory in a video game justify that to you?

In essence yes, I completely realize the information is dangerous. That said, Digi wasn't the one who leaked it and when he finds stuff keeps it to himself. He actually keeps it to himself to such a degree I know it's caused problems because he tells other alliances X is a spy, but won't tell them how he knows. If I thought Digi was using the information inappropriately I'd say something to him (and I did say something to him immediately after (like minutes) the Manny incident and said on Kugu it wasn't ok) and if I thought he was collecting the information in any inappropriate way I'd likewise take it up with him and if it wasn't resolved quit. A game isn't worth being associated with computer hacking, for example, and I think alliances that worked with Kugutsumen back when he hacked forums for intel were idiots.

Essentially I do not see any way that what Digi's doing actually increases the likelihood anyone's going to get their eve identity linked to their real identity by anyone else. If he was doing that I'd agree with you, but if Digi can figure it out that means the information is already out there. If you're in another alliance, their spy guy will be doing the same thing, it's just that most of them aren't as bad posters as Digi is on occasion so people generally forget they exist.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dirty Sanchez posted:

This thread really needs to die, and we need to wait a couple weeks to start a new one.

Uhh, why?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

vyst posted:

I don't really care what you think about my attitude lol so you can dox that if you want.

Well, duh, I knew that. You've admitted as much before and it's probably the only thing that keeps you sane here dealing with everyone. I can't hold that against you.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

evilweasel posted:

In essence yes, I completely realize the information is dangerous. That said, Digi wasn't the one who leaked it and when he finds stuff keeps it to himself. He actually keeps it to himself to such a degree I know it's caused problems because he tells other alliances X is a spy, but won't tell them how he knows. If I thought Digi was using the information inappropriately I'd say something to him (and I did say something to him immediately after (like minutes) the Manny incident and said on Kugu it wasn't ok) and if I thought he was collecting the information in any inappropriate way I'd likewise take it up with him and if it wasn't resolved quit. A game isn't worth being associated with computer hacking, for example, and I think alliances that worked with Kugutsumen back when he hacked forums for intel were idiots.

Essentially I do not see any way that what Digi's doing actually increases the likelihood anyone's going to get their eve identity linked to their real identity by anyone else. If he was doing that I'd agree with you, but if Digi can figure it out that means the information is already out there. If you're in another alliance, their spy guy will be doing the same thing, it's just that most of them aren't as bad posters as Digi is on occasion so people generally forget they exist.

So basically everyone just has to trust this one guy, that they don't know IRL, with their IRL information that, if misused, could cause them actual serious physical harm? Does having the information out there mean that it's okay to you for someone to just go ahead and grab it and hold onto it, knowing what could happen with that?

You do realize that if even one person ever got actually hurt from this so that you could have some cool stuff in a video game how lovely it would be, right?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
I know him irl he looks like an old lesbian

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

:greencube:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ripdigi.gif

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Widestancer posted:

So basically everyone just has to trust this one guy, that they don't know IRL, with their IRL information that, if misused, could cause them actual serious physical harm? Does having the information out there mean that it's okay to you for someone to just go ahead and grab it and hold onto it, knowing what could happen with that?

You do realize that if even one person ever got actually hurt from this so that you could have some cool stuff in a video game how lovely it would be, right?

Where are you going with this exactly? :henget:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Widestancer posted:

You're an adult living in Texas, that likes pokemon and guns you can go drive and find digi yourself if you want.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

edit querns why did you leave gibbis i wanted to congratulate you on good posts

one can only take so much weed and dota chat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

So basically everyone just has to trust this one guy, that they don't know IRL, with their IRL information

Nobody requires you to give Digi your information. Like I said, what's bothering you is the possibility that someone can collate the publicly available information. I do not encourage you to give Digi, or anyone else you don't know, any IRL information and nobody else will tell you to either.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
One of the things that is so worrying is that this is a serious amount of effort and information for such little reward. While everyone here has been making the case that none of these docs kept private and info isn't published what is there to guarantee that this will be the case in the future? There reason I mention it is that someone jokingly said that GIA probably has better internal security and background checks than fortune 500 companies, and honestly that might even be case, but those companies will also have to comply all sorts of data protection acts and teams of lawyers to make sure that this kind of information doesn't end up in the wrong place or is used maliciously. Meanwhile all that the GSF collect, and I have no idea how much there is of this or how sensitive it is - although the posters here seem to be implying its a lot - is protected by the possibility of a stern talk by mittens and digi's sketch track record on knowing where to drawn the line.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

vyst posted:

You're an adult living in Texas, that likes pokemon and guns you can go drive and find digi yourself if you want.

Like I've said, I don't really care about what digi does or doesn't do. It's an interesting discussion and it's led to some people saying some pretty funny stuff. Not sure where you're going with whatever it is you said but :shrug:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

vodkat posted:

One of the things that is so worrying is that this is a serious amount of effort and information for such little reward. While everyone here has been making the case that none of these docs kept private and info isn't published what is there to guarantee that this will be the case in the future? There reason I mention it is that someone jokingly said that GIA probably has better internal security and background checks than fortune 500 companies, and honestly that might even be case, but those companies will also have to comply all sorts of data protection acts and teams of lawyers to make sure that this kind of information doesn't end up in the wrong place or is used maliciously. Meanwhile all that the GSF collect, and I have no idea how much there is of this or how sensitive it is - although the posters here seem to be implying its a lot - is protected by the possibility of a stern talk by mittens and digi's sketch track record on knowing where to drawn the line.

sounds like you need to file a foia with ccp

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

vyst posted:

Vyst is the new Digi. Look at this hardcore doxxxxing poo poo.

Don't you know that's unacceptable behaviour Vyst?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vodkat posted:

I can't speak for the mittani obviously but given that he's met digi IRL i'm pretty sure there's a level of familiarity there. In fact i'm pretty sure counter intel has only had members mittens has met irl.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Nobody requires you to give Digi your information. Like I said, what's bothering you is the possibility that someone can collate the publicly available information. I do not encourage you to give Digi, or anyone else you don't know, any IRL information and nobody else will tell you to either.

Well, yeah, no one should do that. I've had people try to doxx me here before and it led back to someone else which, while it was kinda funny, did cause me some grief from that other person. It's just interesting to see the lengths that people are willing to go to get the upper hand in a video game, is all.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
I'm the spy in your goon corps stealin all the isks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Widestancer posted:

Unfunny poster seems like a shithead so whatever but that attitude is really lovely, that "well you see, it's okay, it's your own fault".

I am, there's no denying that.

vyst posted:

No that's not what you're doing at all otherwise you wouldn't repeatedly bring it up to everyone you think will listen via private message. What, you think people don't talk about how you PM them?

I would be lying if I didn't think you has spoken to Powers, Doublestep, etc. I would be lying that I'm surprised that you, and others, are more worried about internet pixels than the whole doxxing stuff.

Like EvilWeasel said, it's fine if it's simply linking an in-game character to another in-game character or group. What role finding out about Erotica 1's background, or Manny's personal kinks has to do with EVE ships blowing up is beyond me.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Glory of Arioch posted:

sounds like you need to file a foia with ccp
Wouldn't it be with goonfleet.com in this case?

Also, you people are all loving crazy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Widestancer posted:

Well, yeah, no one should do that. I've had people try to doxx me here before and it led back to someone else which, while it was kinda funny, did cause me some grief from that other person. It's just interesting to see the lengths that people are willing to go to get the upper hand in a video game, is all.

Why I like EVE is that it's a vicious struggle and people actually do go to that effort. It's a pretty brutally darwinian game and you can see over time organizations evolve because if they don't evolve they get brutally stomped out of the game. It's what I find interesting about the game but it means it's definitely not for everyone. Even moderately bad alliances these days operate on a level that would have been insanely over the top back in 2007 when I first started playing and the level of detail people have puzzled out about features of the game is pretty crazy.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

ripdigi.gif

:nws: :nws: http://i51.tinypic.com/103689u.gif :nws:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Like EvilWeasel said, it's fine if it's simply linking an in-game character to another in-game character or group. What role finding out about Erotica 1's background, or Manny's personal kinks has to do with EVE ships blowing up is beyond me.

It's not nearly as binary as that and you're trying to make it seem that way.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Glory of Arioch posted:

one can only take so much weed and dota chat

So you're saying it's percelus' fault, cause I'm pretty sure it's all csgo now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm not going to defend the Manny incident, but I don't recall digi doing anything to Erotica. As far as I recall he hosed himself over by getting creepy and personal, aka the mayonnaise picture incident.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

LemonDrizzle posted:

Wouldn't it be with goonfleet.com in this case?

Also, you people are all loving crazy.

:ssh: :thejoke:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You always make me laugh

autism chariot posted:

aka the mayonnaise picture incident.

Do I even want to know

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Be wary of anyone with the name of CAT or KAT at the end of the name. They are the true spies.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Widestancer posted:

Do I even want to know

No. You probably don't.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Widestancer posted:

You always make me laugh

I wish I could take credit for that one but I can barely use mspaint much less make a fancy digi+arkhamina gif.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

autism chariot posted:

No. You probably don't.

Now I really do. That's why I come here and why I actually kinda wanna play this beyond killing miners despite my friends Orange Juche and Deadtear's repeated warnings not to because it ruins lives. I find myself drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Tell me about the mayonnaise picture incident.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Widestancer posted:

You always make me laugh

Do I even want to know

Hahaha i forgot about that poo poo. Erotica 1 had a bonus room as a part of his scam and in order to make even more isk he'd make people do embarassing things irl and post pictures of them. One of them was to have one victim post pictures of himself covered in mayo.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3867335#post3867335

Start with post #264

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Widestancer posted:

Now I really do. That's why I come here and why I actually kinda wanna play this beyond killing miners despite my friends Orange Juche and Deadtear's repeated warnings not to because it ruins lives. I find myself drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

I once blew up like 465367845 miners all by myself and then I got killed alot, people are still mad about it 3 months later.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Widestancer posted:

If I recall, it involved his Bonus Room scamming system.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Honestly if I discover you have, say, a public facebook profile with the same name as the forum account of an internet spaceship capsuleer who annoys me I'm totally going to convo you and link you your facebook profile~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Eve nullsec sov seeing a drastic realignment thanks to the patch created less discussion than a bitter outed spy being very concerned about ethics in gaming.

Lowsec is actually pretty fun solo. Roaming nullsec in anything but an interceptor is a great way to get bubbled and killed. In lowsec you can sit in the middle of a 15 person gatecamp with plenty of time to burn back to the gate, then warp off in the same system because no one wants to be the first to redbox. The gameplay is surpsigingly different than nullsec too. People actually want to fight.

• Locked thread