Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

That's kinda why I steered clear of this show for a while, because "Batman-with-bows, only not as good", seemed weak on the surface.
I'm guessing all you people complaining about this premise don't realize that the actual comic-book Green Arrow was exactly that. 'Hey Batman's insanely popular, let's make another guy just like him, only he idolizes Robin Hood so he can dress up like that and shoot arrows.' I mean he had the kid sidekick (Speedy) and an Arrow Car and an Arrow Cave and was a billionaire non-powered superhero who decided to fight crime and... He was literally a Batman ripoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Oracle posted:

I'm guessing all you people complaining about this premise don't realize that the actual comic-book Green Arrow was exactly that. 'Hey Batman's insanely popular, let's make another guy just like him, only he idolizes Robin Hood so he can dress up like that and shoot arrows.' I mean he had the kid sidekick (Speedy) and an Arrow Car and an Arrow Cave and was a billionaire non-powered superhero who decided to fight crime and... He was literally a Batman ripoff.

Except that arrows and van dykes are way cooler than batarangs and cowls, so he managed to be a superior rip-off.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
way to cherry pick all the worst bits about Green Arrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

way to cherry pick all the worst bits about Green Arrow.

Those are all the bits Green Arrow had for a long time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oracle posted:

Arrow Cave

It's the Quiver. :colbert:

:colbert::colbert:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

At one point in the comics Ollie's base was a store called Sherwood Florist so obviously he's way cooler.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pwnstar posted:

At one point in the comics Ollie's base was a store called Sherwood Florist so obviously he's way cooler.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pwnstar posted:

Dinah was originally a florist, right? Working with her mom?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Drifter posted:

It's the Quiver. :colbert:

:colbert::colbert:

NOW it is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

Dinah was originally a florist, right? Working with her mom?

Yeah, it was her shop.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Those are all the bits Green Arrow had for a long time.

The good news is that as time went on, competent writers took him in a different direction, turning Oliver Queen into his own brand of hero. A road trip with Hal Jorden may have been involved.

John Diggle for Sector 2814.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I was just referring to the original origin story of Green Arrow. They did rehash him a few times but initially and for many years he was literally and unapologetically a Batman clone.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I've been sporadically checking on this thread since the start of the new season, and the general consensus seems fairly positive, so maybe I'm alone in this but I have been remarkably underwhelmed by the season so far. It feels like there's been a lot of the eye rolling Arrow moments (terrible dialog, boring individual stories, etc) without [enough of, anyway] the big payoffs that had previously made it easy to ignore the flaws. I expect as the season goes on, the disparate threads will begin to weave together, but right now it just seems like a total jumble of plotlines. It almost feels like the early goings of Season 1 at times, but missing the origin story. And how does everyone Felicity went to college with manage to end up living in Starling?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah I agree, there have been more "miss" episodes than "hit" episodes so far. The plots have been pretty jumbled and meandering, there's no real urgency or immediate threat, the action is a bit less intense, and these Hong Kong flashbacks have been the weakest of the whole series.

It's not all of a sudden a bad show or something, but I almost think that comparable stretches of season 1 were stronger than season 3 has been.

v:shobon:v

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Nah I agree, there have been more "miss" episodes than "hit" episodes so far. The plots have been pretty jumbled and meandering, there's no real urgency or immediate threat, the action is a bit less intense, and these Hong Kong flashbacks have been the weakest of the whole series.

It's not all of a sudden a bad show or something, but I almost think that comparable stretches of season 1 were stronger than season 3 has been.

v:shobon:v

All I know is I used to look forward to watching new episodes first chance I got every Thursday, and now I find myself doing that with Flash and watching Arrow whenever I get around to it / find myself bored.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

I've been sporadically checking on this thread since the start of the new season, and the general consensus seems fairly positive, so maybe I'm alone in this but I have been remarkably underwhelmed by the season so far. It feels like there's been a lot of the eye rolling Arrow moments (terrible dialog, boring individual stories, etc) without [enough of, anyway] the big payoffs that had previously made it easy to ignore the flaws. I expect as the season goes on, the disparate threads will begin to weave together, but right now it just seems like a total jumble of plotlines. It almost feels like the early goings of Season 1 at times, but missing the origin story. And how does everyone Felicity went to college with manage to end up living in Starling?

Unhappy coincidence, mostly. Goony Ex Boyfriend is a super villain bent on subjugating the world, and wants a side dish of revenge. Corporate sellout roommate sold out to a corporation in Starling, which given that Merlyn Global and Queen Consolidated are both big interests there, we can assume it's a pretty big city and would attract college graduates in its business sector. And Felicity has basically the same story as sellout roommate, only she sold out first.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
People are really underselling the super villain death trap in that episode. Robotic laser guided machine gun turrets? It's absurd and impractical and wonderful. The only way that scene could have been better is if Ollie shot Sheldon Cooper in the face with a boxing glove arrow.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bad Moon posted:

The only way that scene could have been better is if Ollie shot Sheldon Cooper in the face with a boxing glove arrow.

This alone would make the entire season worthwhile so far.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My favorite part is that the turrets still missed. I love it when super crazy/futuristic automated turrets/weapons in sci-fi shows/movies are somehow horribly inaccurate. Computers are like, super good at math guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They had to spin up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They had to spin up.

And it seemed their arc of fire was maybe a hundred degrees. It was like something out of a video game level designed to be completed in a certain way.

e: I think my favorite character so far this season is Ray Palmer, which may simply be the result of his ten minutes of total screentime.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 11, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh I wasn't complaining about the turrets, I thought they were appropriately goofy. It just instantly reminded me of that kind of stuff because it's one of the things I always notice. Like when a giant death robot from the future that can shoot lasers out of its butt is then awful at actually hitting anything despite the fact that being able to target things would kind of be trivial.

Habibi posted:

e: I think my favorite character so far this season is Ray Palmer, which may simply be the result of his ten minutes of total screentime.

Yeah I am absolutely loving what Routh is doing on this show. He's perfect at portraying Ray's totally sincere optimism and energy without coming off like some sort of ~whacky & quirky~ manic pixie dream girl equivalent. That's a character that could have been very, very obnoxious if he was written worse or played by an actor that wasn't as good of a match.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 11, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VDay posted:

Yeah I am absolutely loving what Routh is doing on this show. He's perfect at portraying Ray's totally sincere optimism and energy without coming off like some sort of ~whacky & quirky~ manic pixie dream girl equivalent. That's a character that could have been very, very obnoxious if he was written worse or played by an actor that wasn't as good of a match.

He plays how Felicity was played early on except with male stereotypical social attributes rather than the female ones. It's still a very fluff character so I hope they give him a lot more screen time for development. he's really fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

My favorite part is that the turrets still missed. I love it when super crazy/futuristic automated turrets/weapons in sci-fi shows/movies are somehow horribly inaccurate. Computers are like, super good at math guys.

I'd have to watch it again but I'm pretty sure the first turret that Oliver shoots at and then shoots back at Oliver basically just... aimed completely away from him as soon as it started firing. I don't know if it was supposed to be tracking the arrow or what but it was pretty confusing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

VDay posted:

Oh I wasn't complaining about the turrets, I thought they were appropriately goofy. It just instantly reminded me of that kind of stuff because it's one of the things I always notice. Like when a giant death robot from the future that can shoot lasers out of its butt is then awful at actually hitting anything despite the fact that being able to target things would kind of be trivial

Arrogant hacker doesn't bother to code decent aiming software for his turrets. Who is gonna try to dodge a machine gun :smug:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Arrow meets Wildcat (formerly) :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZN790VsVs

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kibayasu posted:

I'd have to watch it again but I'm pretty sure the first turret that Oliver shoots at and then shoots back at Oliver basically just... aimed completely away from him as soon as it started firing. I don't know if it was supposed to be tracking the arrow or what but it was pretty confusing.

Obviously Felicity spiked the tracking algorithms.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
He obviously didn't bother calibrating his turrets with actual live human moving targets. Not that great of a supervillian.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Obviously Felicity spiked the tracking algorithms.

How...felicitous.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

:swoon:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
She looks pretty cool, but how are they getting by on her not having any training? Hrmmm. I saw her trying to punch last episode and she almost broke MY wrists was how bad her form was.

I think that's a great look, all things considered, however.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a fan mockup right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I actually like the lack of eyeblack.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

I actually like the lack of eyeblack.

Girls have eyeshadow which does effectively the same thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like a hair color change too. Her hair is a light brown now.

Drifter posted:

She looks pretty cool, but how are they getting by on her not having any training? Hrmmm. I saw her trying to punch last episode and she almost broke MY wrists was how bad her form was.

Well what they're filming now is well ahead in production, so we still have to see.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Her hair is already a lot lighter than it was in season 1 and Sara, despite being blonde, still wore a platinum wig.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah that's pretty definitely a wig.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Welp, that's pretty boss. Everyone is getting amazing super hero costumes :swoon:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Drifter posted:

Girls have eyeshadow which does effectively the same thing.

Have a look at the scene with the Huntress when she's in the police station, they took off her mask and were kind enough to let her take off they eye black and reapply the rest of her makeup. And that's not the worst example. Though they have gotten better When Oliver takes his mask off you cab see his eye-green now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tactical garter belt. At least there isn't a boob window.

Drifter posted:

Wasn't that the whole point? To show that she is crap. Even Wildcat said so.

• Locked thread