Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone actually know why this 9CL storyline has been going on for over a loving year? Is he that enamored with whatever the hell's going on there?

Well this is the same man who, immediately after wrapping up and congratulating himself on a terrible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, promptly began to congratulate himself on the rest of his own work, up to and including the terrible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet that he just congratulated himself over.

I'm going with yes, is what I'm driving at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone actually know why this 9CL storyline has been going on for over a loving year? Is he that enamored with whatever the hell's going on there?

Well, you see, that one time the guy was captured by German soldiers and the German soldiers were shot by the girl after she distracted them with GAMS wasn't enough to hammer home the point that war is futile. So it needs to be repeated 20 loving times.

Or, Brooke McEldowney is a loving hack

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

"Remember, everyone, Juliet is THIRTEEN. And I am SEXUALIZING the CRAP out of her."

At a certain point this stops being loyalty to the source material.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course he is. It's something he came up with, therefore it is amazing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life[/b]

Two people are very annoyed when a friend is excited to see them. Is this Luann?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And this is all a sequel to the world war 2 story from a few years ago that he was so goddamn proud of that he actually replaced his own strip with an ad for the printed collection after it wrapped up. Inane, Repetitive Comix.

Pooch Café

Good thing there aren't actually any lines running on those poles.

Ballard Street

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the reason he went back to the WWII storyline was that he actually managed to make some money on the first one. Brooke wrote about it during his Twitter Q&A a while back:

Brooke posted:

#AskMcEldowney Q: Have you ever thought about animating your work? #gocomics

#AskMcEldowney A: ... If only Pixar would hear my cries. I should mention that Edie Ernst is under an option for a movie, but live action.

So, if he is actually working on a script, he probably realized how thin the original story was and is using this new storyline as a way to add some filler.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
the Jock is probably the least awful character in Intelligent Life. He is excited and sociable, he's friendly to his coworkers, he tries to include his friends in his hobbies when they would otherwise feel left out-oh god drat it why am i saying anything positive about Intelligent Life

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Her microphone isn't plugged in.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Aardmania posted:

I think the reason he went back to the WWII storyline was that he actually managed to make some money on the first one. Brooke wrote about it during his Twitter Q&A a while back:

So, if he is actually working on a script, he probably realized how thin the original story was and is using this new storyline as a way to add some filler.

I looked, but I never could find out how his musical, "Many Mansions" did. A few "will be performed on this date at this place" spots, but no reviews. I didn't really GIS very hard though.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
It probably ended up like the Luann Musical where it was performed by a couple high school groups or maybe a couple local theaters and no one ever heard of it after that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

treasureplane posted:

Her microphone isn't plugged in.

She also enters the mirror-world between panels.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

:golfclap:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

Well this is the same man who, immediately after wrapping up and congratulating himself on a terrible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, promptly began to congratulate himself on the rest of his own work, up to and including the terrible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet that he just congratulated himself over.

I'm going with yes, is what I'm driving at.

As bad as Romeo & Juliette was, the self-fellating "director's commentary" of it is somehow even worse.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
The "sneaking out theory" is what I figured also. What was throwing me initially was that I couldn't tell if it was a kid, or an adult though. If adult, what would be the motive?

Welp, Jane's World gets paraphysical today thanks to those whack-rear end energy vortices, or whatever...

gently caress this lesbian earth...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Evil Mastermind posted:

As bad as Romeo & Juliette was, the self-fellating "director's commentary" of it is somehow even worse.

It's really doing my head in to see his thorough satisfaction about just total dogshit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's really doing my head in to see his thorough satisfaction about just total dogshit.

Well, it's long established the Brooke only listens to people who tell him what he wants to hear: i.e. that he's an amazing writer. He has to tell himself that because I doubt that many other people will tell him that nowadays.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If you pay any attention to the works of McEldowney, even to revile them, then he wins.

Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think because he actually thinks that A) this is deep, revelatory storytelling showing the past of these characters and B) that people care enough about these characters to care about revelations about their past. He's already starting two steps removed from reality.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cholmondeley posted:

The "sneaking out theory" is what I figured also. What was throwing me initially was that I couldn't tell if it was a kid, or an adult though. If adult, what would be the motive?

Welp, Jane's World gets paraphysical today thanks to those whack-rear end energy vortices, or whatever...

gently caress this lesbian earth...

Is this going to be a Kevin and Kell crossover?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Bismuth posted:

Is this going to be a Kevin and Kell crossover?

These are reprints of stories that are a decade old - you can follow online with the zany hijinks in Volumes 3 and 4:

http://www.amazon.com/Paige-Braddock/e/B0034PDNHU/

This poo poo has been posted before and wasn't any better when it first came up on the syndication train; can we shelve it until the series picks up with new material? Or at least post a disclaimer so people will quit confusing it with newly minted storylines?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah there'd have to be at least 5 "Phantom watches a lion leave a cage" stories for there to be a storyline this long and drawn out.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

sweetguts posted:

the Jock is probably the least awful character in Intelligent Life.

Speaking of jocks, you know where else people talk about sports? In TV newscasts, like they have in JOHN DARLING!

In today's installment, we abandon the "Disco News" plot -- not because the syndicate didn't like it, but because the book publisher decided to jump from August to February. Instead, here's a sportscast.

(There was never an NBA team called the "Stilts", of course.)

Punchline for this strip: sportscasters use figurative language.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Transmodiar posted:

These are reprints of stories that are a decade old - you can follow online with the zany hijinks in Volumes 3 and 4:

http://www.amazon.com/Paige-Braddock/e/B0034PDNHU/

This poo poo has been posted before and wasn't any better when it first came up on the syndication train; can we shelve it until the series picks up with new material? Or at least post a disclaimer so people will quit confusing it with newly minted storylines?

Can we just shelve it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Andorra posted:

Yeah there'd have to be at least 5 "Phantom watches a lion leave a cage" stories for there to be a storyline this long and drawn out.

As near as I can tell, this flashback/storyline started around November 25, 2013. So we're closing in on a solid year.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Vegetable bin? That's a crisper, you dweeb.

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

:stare:

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

You know what? I'll take it. It's dumb, but that works.

Deep Dark Fears

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, no mawkish Veterans' Day glurge? You're slipping, Gilchrist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Vegetable bin? That's a crisper, you dweeb.

Brian Setzer Orchestra? That's not a country band! What kind of horseshit is this?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I refuse to believe someone paid Brooke for the film rights to that stupid Edie Ernst story. As far as the current storyline, I have no idea what is happening or why or why anyone should care. I think it's a flashback but I am a bit unclear who is telling this story. All I know is for weeks it's been these two idiots talking to each other about nothing while Brooke tries to I guess imitate witty repartee from old movies which doesn't really work with comic strips and so it sucks.

Is there any way to tell how well the Edie Ernst: Nazi Fetishist book sold?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Why is Mary so angry?

Rex Morgan MD

You tell her, Rex.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Is there any way to tell how well the Edie Ernst: Nazi Fetishist book sold?

No, not without him supplying those figures. I don't think he even sells it through major retailers.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe some kind soul optioned that story so it could never be made a movie. I can't imagine it would have cost much.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

I refuse to believe someone paid Brooke for the film rights to that stupid Edie Ernst story.

I can believe it, because film companes routinely buy film rights to all manner of random crap that they have absolutely no intention of producing. It's one of the reasons why Les' whining about the movie in Funky Winkabean is so annoying- it's a ridiculous moon shot that anyone would actually do something with randomly acquired film rights in the first place.

From a meta perspective, this is also why Les thought the whiny film perspective was an interesting story. People who don't know much about the industry tend to assume, not entirely irrationally, that production companies don't pay good money for random crap they're not going to use. But all of this is easy enough to confirm for anyone who's willing to do the slightest amount of research.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

No research necessary for this strip though.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

You tell her, Rex.

What exactly did she do that was bringing nursing school politics into his practice? What did I miss here, I thought I had been following what was happening to these entitled, rich assholes in the storyline.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

No, not without him supplying those figures. I don't think he even sells it through major retailers.

I just checked amazon. Sales rank is #3,145,485, but it's not sold new. That and his other terrible books are only sold used on amazon for really absurd prices.

Man, I wish I could find an obsessive niche to be talentless in.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LtStorm posted:

What exactly did she do that was bringing nursing school politics into his practice? What did I miss here, I thought I had been following what was happening to these entitled, rich assholes in the storyline.

Remember how June has that new teaching job? And she went and had a long talk with that old lady that everybody hates and is walking out over. Eventually June decided to be a goddamn professional and just do her job and not take sides.

When she got back to the office and told Becka what's up, she (Becka) acted like a total snot about it and made June cry.

Can't get more specific than that because I don't remember.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ted Rall, who used to work for United Features Syndicate, said that "Chickweed" was one of the most popular comics on the site, with the highest traffic.

I mean, I know it's Rall, but I think I can believe him when he said that. From his tone, he's not exactly a Brooke fan anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just want to see an Intelligent Life strip without a single raised eyebrow. Once in a blue moon there will be a panel in a strip without a raised eyebrow, but never more than one.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

You know what? I'll take it. It's dumb, but that works.

It's at the very least better than an earlier one with the same premise (picture of a clock that was reversed) where the answer is "Because she's wearing a bracelet on this wrist and in the picture it's on the opposite wrist."

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just checked amazon. Sales rank is #3,145,485, but it's not sold new. That and his other terrible books are only sold used on amazon for really absurd prices.

Whenever books on Amazon are only available used at absurd prices, it's because the retailers are using pricing bots to juggle supply and demand. When there are plenty of books out there and humans setting market prices they behave sensibly, but when bots are left to calibrate themselves off each other's mark-ups they start spiralling up cent by cent into infinity. If anything, it probably means nobody has moved any of Brooke's books for a while and they're just sitting around gathering dust in overstock warehouses somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kismet posted:

Whenever books on Amazon are only available used at absurd prices, it's because the retailers are using pricing bots to juggle supply and demand. When there are plenty of books out there and humans setting market prices they behave sensibly, but when bots are left to calibrate themselves off each other's mark-ups they start spiralling up cent by cent into infinity. If anything, it probably means nobody has moved any of Brooke's books for a while and they're just sitting around gathering dust in overstock warehouses somewhere.

Interesting.

Although I think that the high prices for "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" really are because it's out of print and ridiculously good.

• Locked thread