Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm gonna install arch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
currently posting on a freshly installed arch w/ gnome 3.14 on some embarassing piece of garbage that we had lying around (athlon x2, 2gb ram, 160gb 5400 rpm hard disk)

it actually works amazingly well given the hardware (as in, it's actually usable, boot and program startup is a bit sluggish as you'd expect from a lovely hdd but otherwise it's fine)

and it doesn't have any useless extra bullshit or any dumb installer getting in the way

i like~

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

currently posting on a freshly installed arch w/ gnome 3.14 on some embarassing piece of garbage that we had lying around (athlon x2, 2gb ram, 160gb 5400 rpm hard disk)

it actually works amazingly well given the hardware (as in, it's actually usable, boot and program startup is a bit sluggish as you'd expect from a lovely hdd but otherwise it's fine)

and it doesn't have any useless extra bullshit or any dumb installer getting in the way

i like~

and its desktop linux so it also has no useful desktop software clogging up the system

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it has a web browser, what more do you need?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

it has a web browser, what more do you need?

an exchange capable calendar and email solution that doesn't poo poo the bed constantly? (i'm looking at you evolution). hmm, maybe i'll send that next design out with crappy diagrams i made in dia and pasted in openoffice

or maybe i won't because i'm not a shitlord. i'll just use omnigraffle or visio in a vm and word

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

c&p, why not go all in and use gentoo if you like aur?

gentoo could use people like you that were passionate about gnome, the official portage tree is still on 3.12.

posting this from gnome 3.12 @ gentoo atm

"Hey why don't you help me out by using this obviously-inferior setup"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shitface posted:

an exchange capable calendar and email solution that doesn't poo poo the bed constantly? (i'm looking at you evolution). hmm, maybe i'll send that next design out with crappy diagrams i made in dia and pasted in openoffice

or maybe i won't because i'm not a shitlord. i'll just use omnigraffle or visio in a vm and word

evolution-exchange sync was really reliable back when it was mostly screenscraping

ironically now that exchange has a fully documented 3rd party integration API, there is no way to get exchange mail/calendar working on linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

sry bsd mach may be a lovely microkernal (not rly, rick rashid is ownage) but l4 can actually speed up unix compared to no ipc

l4 is much faster than mach, yes, but linux under l4 still has literally 100% system call overhead vs running linux alone

where is l4linux ever faster than linux ?

p.s. l4 is loving rad. as with mach, "running unix rly fast" is not necessarily a good design goal for a research OS

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

there's no real distro drama to speak of. the wiki is really good. here's a particularly good example. i reference the wiki even when i'm working with other distros. the forums are terrible, though.

arch has a lot of problems but that wiki has solved a lot of frustrating laptop hardware kinks for me

most notably: pulseaudio bullshit, macbook firmware bullshit, touchpad bullshit

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the only issues ive had with arch recently were when i was first installing it on an EFI machine, which i blame more on the crazed chinese firmware devs not following the spec

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

there is precisely one good *nix workstation os. mac os x 10.10 national park edition. if you're pissing away your time trying to make anything else work its only because your time is worth nothing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shitface posted:

there is precisely one good *nix workstation os. mac os x 10.10 national park edition. if you're pissing away your time trying to make anything else work its only because your time is worth nothing

thank you for shitposting in the linux thread

brb i have to sperg out about irrelevant gentoo problems in the osx thread, repeatedly, for several pages

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

thank you for shitposting in the linux thread

brb i have to sperg out about irrelevant gentoo problems in the osx thread, repeatedly, for several pages

posting in the poo poo thing thread about a good thing > posting about a poo poo thing in the good thing thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001

shitface posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agree shitface

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

shitface posted:

extremely true, compare:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

arch has a lot of problems but that wiki has solved a lot of frustrating laptop hardware kinks for me

mac os x 10.10 yosemite works fine with macbook hardware, you can even buy macbook hardware that comes with it already installed and ready to go

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

linux on the desktop is a thing that will never happen. source: my attempt to run it and ~evangelise~ it between 1997 -> 2007, when they finally opened an apple store in my home town and i went to laugh at the macfags and left with an iMac an hour later

xfree -> xorg
oss -> alsa
alsa -> pulse
gnome 2 somewhat servicable edition -> gnome 3
kde 3 -> whatever they crapped out after that

the linux desktop is in a state of constant flux which somehow sees it never quite not broken. it just doesn't werk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
xfree and xorg are the same piece of software
oss still exists and is used
alsa still exists and is used

gnome 3 didn't happen LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

kde 4 was a terrible mistake that took many years to repair. not even i can defend that one.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

shitface posted:

the linux desktop [...] it just doesn't werk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gnome 2 is incredibly dated

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, my personal laptop has suspend/wake issues under ubuntu. works fine under arch, but i didn't even need to janitor it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 3 didn't happen LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

kde 4 was a terrible mistake that took many years to repair. not even i can defend that one.

basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the most certainly are not. shave that greybeard off right now, you don't deserve it. xfree86 to x.org had to be the most painful fork i ever went through with desktop linux. sound not working is one thing. that one weirde video acceleration they didn't want you to know about is another. not loving starting X randomly when you're trying to get some work done is unforgivable

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not directly, at least not by any distro that counts. sighs of relief all round when they got alsa to play multiple inputs to mix through alsa without loving over oss and then they "fixed"* it with pulse because... ?

*where by "fixed" i mean literally hosed it over for a straight year. expecting sound to work in any predictable fashion? :smuggo: "we're working on it"

Silver Alicorn posted:

gnome 2 is incredibly dated

it is but with a shitsmear of compiz (don't even get me started on that) and a theme that doesn't suck balls (i.e. no theme ever) it could somewhat pass for something someone might voluntarily use this decade and it doesn't attempt to rejig its interface for theoretical lunix compatible touchscreen hardware and software that doesn't loving exist in any serviceable form

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

lmao compiz

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

shitface posted:

doesn't attempt to rejig its interface for theoretical lunix compatible touchscreen hardware and software that doesn't loving exist in any serviceable form

good point, shitface

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

"lets blit everything extra slow from a proprietary driver that never gave a poo poo about 2d then effectively screnscrape window contents into an OpenGL context" :allears:

i agree but it least it sort of imitated affordances os x had in 2001

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

pram posted:

agree shitface

Cocoa Crispies posted:

extremely true, compare:

mac os x 10.10 yosemite works fine with macbook hardware, you can even buy macbook hardware that comes with it already installed and ready to go

oval office AND PASTE posted:

good point, shitface

why do i feel like people are trying to prevent from me killing my are self

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

IPvSH6T posted:

the only issues ive had with arch recently were when i was first installing it on an EFI machine, which i blame more on the crazed chinese firmware devs not following the spec

yeah i had to do a really awful "download the ISO and then create your own USB image and then dd it down to your thumbdrive" thing just to get UEFI going but apparently it was sorted out in the next month's ISO image and Just Works now

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

maybe you don't remember the the briefly popular fork called beryl written by a pseudo-tranny with a neckbeard who couldn't code for poo poo. that was a thing that happened and it was mainly popular because it ripped of the genie effect and had a decorator that could also do transparency. desktop loving linux

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

i mean lmao

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-556453-start-0.html

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome 3 is rly good

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Smythe posted:

gnome 3 is rly good

agree

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Smythe posted:

gnome 3 is rly good

no, smythe. no. it is a piece of poo poo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i love using gnome 3 on my touchscreen device. haha wait, no i dont, its poo poo. and i dont have a touchscreen

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

even tho its groupon, why should the people making an actual thing have to change their name?

"hey we had that name first"

"who are you?"

"we do linux stuff!"

"so you're an OS like linux or windows?"

"no... but we are a part of linux, well, some linuxes but not all of them"

"what part? the kernel?"

"no, the desktop part"

"so your a type of x windows?"

"no... but we need x windows to run"

"shut up the actual thing gets the name"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

shitface posted:

"lets blit everything extra slow from a proprietary driver that never gave a poo poo about 2d then effectively screnscrape window contents into an OpenGL context" :allears:

This never happened. AIGLX allowed for TFP to work zero-copy. And then we got DRM, which obsoleted the whole thing. NVIDIA had a DRM-alike mechanism from the start. Also, I don't know why people think blits are slow. Blits are the fastest thing you can do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

even tho its groupon, why should the people making an actual thing have to change their name?

"hey we had that name first"

"who are you?"

"we do linux stuff!"

"so you're an OS like linux or windows?"

"no... but we are a part of linux, well, some linuxes but not all of them"

"what part? the kernel?"

"no, the desktop part"

"so your a type of x windows?"

"no... but we need x windows to run"

"shut up the actual thing gets the name"

Because GroupOn marketed and applied trademarks for GNOME as an operating system, which heavily conflicts with our trademark.

http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707

"Gnome is an amazing piece of technology that plugs our merchants into the Web and helps them form relationships with every customer that walks in their front door," said Eric Lefkofsky, CEO. "When it's complete, Gnome will serve as an operating system for merchants to run their entire operation and enable them to create real-time promotions that bring customers into their business when they need them the most."

That's as just as bad as GroupOn releasing their new POS product called "ChromeOS" or "Windows".

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Suspicious Dish posted:

Because GroupOn marketed and applied trademarks for GNOME as an operating system, which heavily conflicts with our trademark.

http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707

"Gnome is an amazing piece of technology that plugs our merchants into the Web and helps them form relationships with every customer that walks in their front door," said Eric Lefkofsky, CEO. "When it's complete, Gnome will serve as an operating system for merchants to run their entire operation and enable them to create real-time promotions that bring customers into their business when they need them the most."

That's as just as bad as GroupOn releasing their new POS product called "ChromeOS" or "Windows".

that sounds like a dumb marketing idea from groupon since its a "turnkey solution" not a "operating system" obviously

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i do all of our small biz computers on ubunto gnome except for the bookkeeper she needed winders for real excel and quickbooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

ah yes. endless loving tweaking of config to see if aiglx or xgl poo poo the bed less. i vaguely remember that bullshit. "oh, compositing works fine now but fullscreen video causes every fan within 1000 miles to kick in? heh, take that mactards :smuggo:"

this was a long time ago and i don't fully remember the specifics of the endless loving around but this never worked properly. not that i give a poo poo, i relegated the (excellent) server os that is linux to the server and used the one that actually works efficiently and reliably on the desktop on the desktop