Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's hard to imagine Living Totem ever becoming not worth playing (a 2/2 for 2 with only 1 threshold requirement that gets stronger in a variety of ways at quick speed is going to be an eternal all-star), so the value isn't likely to fall too far. Combined with the extreme scarcity, I expect it will gradually increase in value as long as the game continues to have a healthy population of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

El Spamo posted:

Well that was terrible.

I didn't save my draft deck while I was building it (had no idea I had to) so I had to play with my full stack of cards I drafted. With no way to fix things again, the whole thing was utterly pointless. I bailed out of the draft and I'm out the $7 or whatever for the cards. I sent in a support ticket, that's a really bad design and with no tutorial it's going to burn MANY new players. Even just a pop-up that says "You didn't save your deck, using your current deck" and running a validity check would be better than this. Only if the chosen deck is invalid could I see it defaulting in that way. Plus, no way to edit your deck during downtime in between matches? Terrible!!

Blergh. I'm not spending any more money on this. I'm waiting for PvE. :(

You really can't come into tournaments blind. I don't mean to rub it in, but for anyone else new, if you're putting in money that you can't afford to lose, you gotta study up and you gotta bring it. Watch how people who profit off the game do their drafting, watch everything about that, because that is what everyone else who wants platinum is doing and you are going to get left behind hard if you think you're going to come out on top otherwise.

It is by deliberate design that you can't edit your deck inbetween best-of-threes - you only have access to the sideboard after the first and second games in a bo3. It is set up the same way MTG tournaments work.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nah, it wasn't the lost money and I would be happy to have lost if I was losing by my own (lack of) skill. It was the frustration and time wasted due to getting burned by the interface. I didn't click a certain button amongst many and thus didn't get to play. Make me pay the dummy tax because I don't know the cards, not because I don't know the interface.

Apparently MTGO has interface problems too. I get the impression that might be the Achilles heel of digital TCGs.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

El Spamo posted:

Nah, it wasn't the lost money and I would be happy to have lost if I was losing by my own (lack of) skill. It was the frustration and time wasted due to getting burned by the interface. I didn't click a certain button amongst many and thus didn't get to play. Make me pay the dummy tax because I don't know the cards, not because I don't know the interface.

Apparently MTGO has interface problems too. I get the impression that might be the Achilles heel of digital TCGs.
This is why hearthstone is so successful. Blizzard understands how to make a UI.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Looks like 2 man constructed queue is up in tournaments, a Noble said it's just for testing only right now so it looks like no cost to enter and no rewards at the moment.

Edit: It finally happened, I got my first Vampire King in a draft! :woop:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 12, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I guess this is them testing 1v1 best of 3? I can't really think of any other reason that would be a thing.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

El Spamo posted:

Well that was terrible.

I didn't save my draft deck while I was building it (had no idea I had to) so I had to play with my full stack of cards I drafted. With no way to fix things again, the whole thing was utterly pointless. I bailed out of the draft and I'm out the $7 or whatever for the cards. I sent in a support ticket, that's a really bad design and with no tutorial it's going to burn MANY new players. Even just a pop-up that says "You didn't save your deck, using your current deck" and running a validity check would be better than this. Only if the chosen deck is invalid could I see it defaulting in that way. Plus, no way to edit your deck during downtime in between matches? Terrible!!

Blergh. I'm not spending any more money on this. I'm waiting for PvE. :(

Yeah I had problems drafting as well like this and it's annoying considering how much drafting can cost if you finish dead last. I accidentally picked the wrong champion and couldn't use their powers for the entire tournament (you apparently can't change during Reserves time despite being allowed to pick a new champion and "save" your new deck). Also had issues where all the cards disappear in reserves and issues where changed decks don't save. Each time I got free entry tickets from support and sometimes even a full refund. If you take screenshots and send them the bug issue, they usually will give you free tickets.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Do you all think it would be best to sell high value cards now or hold on to them until after open beta? Or maybe I should sell them before the next set of cards is released this month?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pawn 17 posted:

Do you all think it would be best to sell high value cards now or hold on to them until after open beta? Or maybe I should sell them before the next set of cards is released this month?

I'm only speculating here, but I think that the high number of tournament tickets that the priority bug generated probably did a number on card value. As we move away from that, and as we see fewer or no set 1 rewards from tournaments, set 1 rares should go up in price.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

In the short term, the best time to sell cards is right before tournaments like the Hextechs one coming up and before the VIP constructed tournaments. Whatever semantics people want to argue, the game is open now and pack prices have only gone up like 4 cents. The biggest boom in prices was when they sent out those 10k+ beta invites to everyone who had signed up on the website. I'm not sure going to "open beta" will have the same effect.

Edit: Also the 2 man constructed queue is already gone for some reason.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 12, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MrBims posted:

I'm only speculating here, but I think that the high number of tournament tickets that the priority bug generated probably did a number on card value. As we move away from that, and as we see fewer or no set 1 rewards from tournaments, set 1 rares should go up in price.

There will probably be a sharp drop in Set 1 value on set 2 release though just because people will be going crazy over NEW CARDS OMG.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I imagine a shift in prices for sure, I guess the thing for me is we really don't know what the Hexconomy™ will look like long term until we have Crafting / PvE grinding / etc so the real value of a lot of stuff to me is still questionable (motherfuckers trying to get 6k+ platinum for an AA Ozawa, 400+ for an uncommon PvE card WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT DOES YET, etc)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I didn't even get to play my Vamp King once :smith:, I disconnected and reconnected only to get dropped at the beginning of the second round. This happens every time I disconnect, has anyone successfully reconnected to a draft after a disconnect in the past few weeks and been able to finish the draft you started?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 12, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I didn't even get to play my Vamp King once :smith:, I disconnected and reconnected only to get dropped at the beginning of the second round. This happens every time I disconnect, has anyone successfully reconnected to a draft after a disconnect in the past few weeks and been able to finish the draft you started?

Yeah, I've gotten through a tournament after disconnecting once. I've had it gently caress up way more often, though.

And hey, look on the bright side, you got a Vamp King and a free draft out of it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I've gotten through a tournament after disconnecting once. I've had it gently caress up way more often, though.

And hey, look on the bright side, you got a Vamp King and a free draft out of it.

Yea that's not a real complaint, was just curious if reconnecting was working at all. Seems like something that could hold set 2 back until it's fixed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Reconnecting has always worked for me.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

So there's another hextechs open coming up you guys may be interested in. Meta is in a bit of a weird spot right now, with more and more people shifting from gore knight to more controlly decks like B/S control or Chimes Burn. In particular, I noticed that the team Hexplorers (who were repping Gore Knights in August) are more often than not seen playing Chimes Burn at the moment. Future (one of the top 8) even reckons it's a tier 1 deck. I'm interested in hearing what you guys are planning on using for the open, or if you've noticed any trends yourself.

I'm currently torn between Chimes Burn & Midnight Judgement. I initially had more interest in Chimes Burn for the raw power, but I'm thinking an altered sideboard with stoneskin and curse of oblivion might be the key to breaking a lot of the currently dominant matchups which would obviously put me firmly in the 5 shard control plan.

Stoneskin:
+ Is powerful versus the control decks, neatly disrupting life siphon, ragefire, BTTG, relentless corruption, as well as targetted removal.
- Close to useless versus Gore Knights, which will still be a powerful budget option that may be everywhere in the opening rounds of the swiss portion.

Curse of Oblivion:
+ Great versus Chimes Burn to dismantle their quickest route to victory, as well as the other escalation cards present in Tupact control. Can also be used versus Mono Sapphire to gut them of their spectres or as a sneaky way to void their gambit'd troop if they play another copy of the same troop first.
- Doesn't have as much game stealing potential as Stoneskin, and is a clumsier draw later in the game.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It starts at 2am on a Sunday for me so I can't be bothered signing up, but I'll be cheering you guys on from the sideline at a more reasonable hour!

Also I don't think that Stoneskin currently does anything vs Relentless Corruption does it? I know from the wording it seems like it should but it would be worth testing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There are a few game-breaking bugs still in play right now that effect t1 decks; one of them is that stoneskin doesn't block relentless corruption (which, yes, is a bug; that's been confirmed on the bug forum), another is that chimes+countermagic still locks the game sometimes (as far as I can tell, when you have a wrenlock or skarn in play).

If everyone is going control it seems like there would be room to go aggro again, maybe with something like a gorefeast/mirror knight/mentalist/benjamin deck, or maybe a blood/diamond deck that didn't focus so heavily on removal. Chimes Burn is weak against things that can remove artifacts and constants.

EDIT: Mill strategies also work reasonably well (for mill strategies) against Chimes/Burn just because Chimes is so reliant on card draw and cerebral fulmination, plus if you manage to mill their Chimes they're a lot weaker. I'm not sure about Curse of Oblivion because the Chimes actually make more copies of the card, so they have an inherent counter for Escalation type cards at least. Might be more effective to target the MoT's and counters.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 12, 2014

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Perhaps now is the time for my Shrewd Resurrection Deck!? No... no, I suppose not. It is a fun gimmick, though. Maybe later sets will make it more of a real thing. All you need is Shrewd Manipulation, Hex Engine, 5 shards including 3 diamond and 1 sapphire, Resurrection, and at least 1, preferably 2 big troops in hand by turn 5 and you're set! Also, I hope my opponent isn't playing aggro.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 12, 2014

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Perhaps now is the time for my Shrewd Resurrection Deck!? No... no, I suppose not. It is a fun gimmick, though. Maybe later sets will make it more of a real thing. All you need is Shrewd Manipulation, Hex Engine, 5 shards including 3 diamond and 1 sapphire, Resurrection, and at least 1, preferably 2 big troops in hand by turn 5 and you're set! Also, I hope my opponent isn't playing aggro.
If nothing else, I am briefly entertaining the idea of including two each of hex engine, shrewd manipulation and resurrection for my sideboard for control matchups.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Honestly the meta right now just makes me want set2 all the more.

I don't have any problem with the meta, but I feel like there's a lot of reasonable ways to attack the meta that come up short by just a few cards. Set 2 should fill in those holes rather nicely.

Just in time for the meta to drastically change.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

LightReaper posted:

If nothing else, I am briefly entertaining the idea of including two each of hex engine, shrewd manipulation and resurrection for my sideboard for control matchups.

I run Resurrection in my sideboard of my three-color Inspire deck, but I'm too gutless to actually run it in a serious tournament. The one time in testing (8 man tournament) I played it, it was an instant game-winner. Resurrection + Blessing of the Fallen is brutal.

EDIT: Why yes, I will take a Master Theorycrafter, a Storm Colossus, and a Te'talca in my draft pool.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 13, 2014

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
I've played some matches with a deck made from the starting Orc cards plus some commons a goon sent me and I've been doing quite well in the Proving Grounds against random opponents. Must be quite a few other newbies in there :)

Last night I decided to try a swiss draft for the first time. Watched some videos first to prepare myself. Cobbled together a ruby/sapphire deck with some dwarves, orcs, artifacts, removal, a Volcannon and The Kraken.

Lost first game 1-2. My opponent also had dwarves and Volcannon. I made a lot of mistakes and took too long reading the cards to figure out what they do. Ran out of time in the last match. The dude I was playing sent me a code for a deck sleeve :)

Lost second game also 1-2. He was playing wild/ruby with lots of beefy troops. Could have won the third match but some imps ate my Volcannon and I got run over by some 12/12 boosted monstrosity.

Won third game 2-0 against a ruby/blood deck of some sort. He had a bunch of dangerous troops, including one that made me take damage equal to the cost of every card I drew. Managed to lock down or bounce most of his stuff while Volcannon wore him down.

Won a booster and also drafted Jadiim and the Kraken so I think I did alright for my first draft :)

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

El_Molestadore posted:

I've played some matches with a deck made from the starting Orc cards plus some commons a goon sent me and I've been doing quite well in the Proving Grounds against random opponents. Must be quite a few other newbies in there :)

Last night I decided to try a swiss draft for the first time. Watched some videos first to prepare myself. Cobbled together a ruby/sapphire deck with some dwarves, orcs, artifacts, removal, a Volcannon and The Kraken.

Lost first game 1-2. My opponent also had dwarves and Volcannon. I made a lot of mistakes and took too long reading the cards to figure out what they do. Ran out of time in the last match. The dude I was playing sent me a code for a deck sleeve :)

Lost second game also 1-2. He was playing wild/ruby with lots of beefy troops. Could have won the third match but some imps ate my Volcannon and I got run over by some 12/12 boosted monstrosity.

Won third game 2-0 against a ruby/blood deck of some sort. He had a bunch of dangerous troops, including one that made me take damage equal to the cost of every card I drew. Managed to lock down or bounce most of his stuff while Volcannon wore him down.

Won a booster and also drafted Jadiim and the Kraken so I think I did alright for my first draft :)

Jadiim and Kraken plus a pack, yeah you won that draft.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Set 2 official release date: December 2nd.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Man, what kind of announcement is that?

:siren: Set 2 official release date: December 2nd! :siren:

Excited for those prerelease AAs.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Woah, wasn't expecting that to happen within my lifetime, and now it's just a few weeks away.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I wonder how highly you have to place in the release tournaments to get that Filk ape. Looks like I might be playing all weekend.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ooooh I want Scheme so badly for my chimes deck I can taste it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yo Sigma, I'm around this afternoon awhile if you want to do our match. Otherwise I'm around again on Sunday, and then free most of Monday afternoon/evening.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Go RV! posted:

Man, what kind of announcement is that?

:siren: Set 2 official release date: December 2nd! :siren:

Excited for those prerelease AAs.

One written literally as I'm about to walk out the door for work.

Thoom posted:

I wonder how highly you have to place in the release tournaments to get that Filk ape. Looks like I might be playing all weekend.

I will be too. For some reason I had it in my head that you had to win to get the Filk Ape, but I can't see that in the article now so I must have just imagined it. My guess is top 2.

Both the prerelease AA's are great since I need 4 of both of those cards for decks, and I love the Darkspire Punisher art (Filk Ape is good too, but not great).

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

It's pretty interesting that they made one of the chase rares for the set a prerelease AA, and one of my personal OH GOD I NEED IT rares as the participation AA. I have a good feeling about blood orc aggro in set 2.

But yeah, definitely playing aaaaaall weekend.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Darkspire Punisher is a rare? drat, I will absolutely play in four booster drafts over the weekend then.

I hope I get to use my tickets for them.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Some Numbers posted:

Darkspire Punisher is a rare? drat, I will absolutely play in four booster drafts over the weekend then.

Actually, he might not be. I confused him with the 8 cost guy because I'm a dummy who doesn't actually read the card.

I still really want that art though, it looks badass.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Go RV! posted:

Actually, he might not be. I confused him with the 8 cost guy because I'm a dummy who doesn't actually read the card.

I still really want that art though, it looks badass.

It's good art and the card is still awesome and I want to draft anyway. I see no downside.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Some Numbers posted:

Punisher has previously been revealed as a common. I think the alternate-art colors are common to all rarities.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MrBims posted:

Punisher has previously been revealed as a common. The alternate-art color is common to all rarities, most obvious examples are windbourne acolyte and baby yeti.

I knew the second part. The first part is disappointing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Now I really want to know what the collector rares are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Darkspire Punisher looks great, I really hope they push the darkspire even further, they're a lot of fun.

Not exactly GREAT, but a lot of fun.

• Locked thread