Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Face of Linux right there. I imagine him getting creepy close and trying to start a conversation with "what are gnu up to?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

keyvin posted:

"what are gnu up to?".

"are you, heh, x-free?"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shitface posted:

the most certainly are not. shave that greybeard off right now, you don't deserve it. xfree86 to x.org had to be the most painful fork i ever went through with desktop linux. sound not working is one thing. that one weirde video acceleration they didn't want you to know about is another. not loving starting X randomly when you're trying to get some work done is unforgivable

xfree86 development ground to a halt after the "fork." it's not much of a fork in the road if one path ends after six feet.

if anything Xorg was the end of a fork: XFree86 forked from the X.org codebase in the early 90s. X.org development stopped around that time. when XFree86 became a difficult project structure, devs formed a new X.org organization

shitface posted:

not directly, at least not by any distro that counts. sighs of relief all round when they got alsa to play multiple inputs to mix through alsa without loving over oss and then they "fixed"* it with pulse because... ?

oss is still used by freebsd and solaris (all five users)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
since when is gnome an OS. why woudl a trademark for a gnome OS conflict with the name for "uhm like its on some linux OSs like ubuntu maybe, i mean like if you chose it, or fedora, but liek there are other options... poo poo i mean liek uh u know liek the desktop? gnome is like the desktop part. no not the os. liek the part that makes your desktop. no not wallpaper... ugh i just. its just a linux thing. its not important."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

since when is gnome an OS. why woudl a trademark for a gnome OS conflict with the name for "uhm like its on some linux OSs like ubuntu maybe, i mean like if you chose it, or fedora, but liek there are other options... poo poo i mean liek uh u know liek the desktop? gnome is like the desktop part. no not the os. liek the part that makes your desktop. no not wallpaper... ugh i just. its just a linux thing. its not important."

Since we started calling OS X an OS rather than "Darwin with the Cocoa desktop environment"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Suspicious Dish posted:

Since we started calling OS X an OS rather than "Darwin with the Cocoa desktop environment"

yeah but nobody says "hi is that a PC? mac?" "no its a gnome" they would say "no its linux" and if they went into the packages installed i would walk away, i dont care what you have installed on your linux

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xfree86 development ground to a halt after the "fork." it's not much of a fork in the road if one path ends after six feet.

http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xfree86.org/
http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@xfree86.org/

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

yeah but nobody says "hi is that a PC? mac?" "no its a gnome" they would say "no its linux" and if they went into the packages installed i would walk away, i dont care what you have installed on your linux

the technical answer is "close enough"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

GNOME's goal is to be the best Free Software operating system. We have the trademarks registered for use as an operating system. They're infringing on our trademarks.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean, I don't really care what type of terrible ideology you care for, but if you're going to register a trademark, you should probably just make sure that somebody else hasn't registered it for the same usage first. Groupon is too incompetent to run a ponzi scheme properly, I don't think they put any effort towards their products.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Suspicious Dish posted:

GNOME's goal is to be the best Free Software operating system. We have the trademarks registered for use as an operating system. They're infringing on our trademarks.

holy poo poo gnome is coming out with their own OS? link?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, I don't really care what type of terrible ideology you care for, but if you're going to register a trademark, you should probably just make sure that somebody else hasn't registered it for the same usage first. Groupon is too incompetent to run a ponzi scheme properly, I don't think they put any effort towards their products.

i agree w/ this

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, where is the Gnome OS. There is none. OS X is an OS. Windows is an OS. Android, OS. iOS, holy poo poo its an OS. Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, Arch etc, all OSes. Gnome? gnome is a thing that runs on your OS.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if anything Xorg was the end of a fork: XFree86 forked from the X.org codebase in the early 90s. X.org development stopped around that time. when XFree86 became a bad project structure, devs formed a new X.org organization
it got forcibly forked, much to the noisy protest of the xfree people, in the name of "auto" (lol) configuration. it never worked then and it still doesn't work now. still poo poo, but a slightly different flavour of poo poo with a nutty, corporate, redhat flavoured aftertaste. also i'm pretty sure you wikipediameched that because of dry wikifact* + obvious obliviousness to how it actually was

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oss is still used by freebsd and solaris (all five users)
its still there in linux as an api or mixing channel or some poo poo but its deprecated because it actually worked as one might reasonably expect. that would obviously be unacceptable on desktop linux

*note: not actual fact

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

shitface posted:

"are you, heh, x-free?"
"i'd sure like to yum your repositories"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

When I can go to gnome.com and download the gnome OS installer to install gnome to my computer with a blank hard drive then its an os

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

When you register a trademark for use as an OS you should actually use that trademark for an OS. It wouldn;t take very long to clone ubuntu and change all the branding to say gnome, just do that and ill be happy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Here's the download link:

http://build.gnome.org/continuous/buildmaster/images/z/current/

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

bobbilljim posted:

When you register a trademark for use as an OS you should actually use that trademark for an OS. It wouldn;t take very long to clone ubuntu and change all the branding to say gnome, just do that and ill be happy.
we already have ubuntu gnome

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

No, where is the Gnome OS. There is none. OS X is an OS. Windows is an OS. Android, OS. iOS, holy poo poo its an OS. Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, Arch etc, all OSes. Gnome? gnome is a thing that runs on your OS.

you realize this doesn't matter right

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
X has been the source of a lot of awfulness ever since the turn of the century pretty much which is why it's being replaced by Wayland

And a Wayland compositor that renders to an RDP stream is still a far better remote application experience than X has been for any even remotely recent application. For instance, you can do a "screen" like detach and reattach without doing any godawful hackery

XWayland gives you back compat for apps that haven't been ported yet

X really has no reason to exist except as a legacy technology any more

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

very easy to find

Captain Foo posted:

you realize this doesn't matter right

yes, i know this is the linux thread.

the fact that me, a linux nerd posting from linux, didnt know there was a gnome OS until now, suggests that it probably isnt relevant to the public and as far as they are concerned the trademark is unused in the OS space

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i still call it genome pronunciation wise even though i know better because i refuse to say the "Guh-Nuh" sound like in GNU or gnome the available desktop theme. i just think its an extremely awkward thing to say out loud.

don't get me wrong, i love GNU tools and use their versions whenever i can generally because many of them are good, compared to the stock equivilants on some linux/unixes...

but im not going to say "GNU Linux" just like i wouldnt say "tree wood kleenex"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i prefer Puffs brand facial tissue anyways

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i still say it like the word gnome because gently caress these stupid names everyone uses

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
r u telling me gnome isnt pronounced gnome? wtf is going on here

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Smythe posted:

i prefer Puffs brand facial tissue anyways

wood puffs? or polyester puffs, if they were to exist? because you need to define the source of the part of the product that you actively touch prefacing the product name itself since apparently RMS was right and GNU/linux is a thing that anyone says out loud ever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
rms has some brain problems

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Smythe posted:

r u telling me gnome isnt pronounced gnome? wtf is going on here

i was under the impression it was supposed to be said "guh-nome" which is on my "wont do" list

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

i was under the impression it was supposed to be said "guh-nome" which is on my "wont do" list

lol whacky comp[uter words

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Smythe posted:

rms has some brain problems

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673391&goto=newpost

lol if u dont just say "nome" for gnome.

and super lol if you have ever said "GNU" out loud

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Sniep posted:

holy poo poo gnome is coming out with their own OS? link?

glib probably has a kernel somewhere in there

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

bobbilljim posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673391&goto=newpost

lol if u dont just say "nome" for gnome.

and super lol if you have ever said "GNU" out loud

agreed. the little lawn ornaments are just "nomes" in pronunciation afaik

and im happy to not have said the guh-noo or guh-nome ever out loud because it is stupid retarded sounding

like if you had two groups of people arguing if something sounded "stupid" or if it sounded "retarded" and they met in the middle and decided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i always said Gee In You before learning it was supposed to be guhnooo

and i still say Gee In You because gently caress that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it's pronounced genome

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's pronounced genome

thank you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

And a Wayland compositor that renders to an RDP stream is still a far better remote application experience than X has been for any even remotely recent application. For instance, you can do a "screen" like detach and reattach without doing any godawful hackery

idk what you're talking about, emacs and xterm work fine :smug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no they don't.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

very easy to find

yes, i know this is the linux thread.

the fact that me, a linux nerd posting from linux, didnt know there was a gnome OS until now, suggests that it probably isnt relevant to the public and as far as they are concerned the trademark is unused in the OS space

im also posting from linux lmfao

the point is that to avoid trademark dilution it doesn't matter whether or not gnomeOS is a thing or not; similarly MS would be well within its rights to compel me to change the name of MetrOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

mac os x 10.10 yosemite works fine with macbook hardware, you can even buy macbook hardware that comes with it already installed and ready to go