Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Nah make it a mod challenge.

Not that I don't find the theories entertaining, but a mod challenge would be more entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Some notes based on my conversation with NBB:

I haven't seen his "manifesto" (such a stupid term) for the PNW puzzle. I do know which image he's talking about, but not the verse (it might be the one attached to the image currently, I'm not sure, or it might be one of the "leftover" ones). I am hesitant to share even this much because I'd hate to pull the rug out from under him. Clearly it means a lot to him and I'm not enough of a BAMF to knock down his sandcastle, so to speak. Or even chance it.

The other thing I know is that we both agree that we want to get it done soon soon soon, or else it's just going to be too cold to do any digging. We had our first freeze here last night and it's now a race against the clock to get everything organized. Will it happen? Who knows. Maybe this is all just smoke up our asses. DNR has a point, this kind of thing isn't new to the internet and "mysteries". It was one of the reasons in the OTP22 thread everyone was humming over the deaddrop and I drove two hours to go a loving creepy cemetery in the middle of the night to poke around because no one else would. And it totally paid off.

But I do believe he's solved it and we're just making sure we do this right versus rushing out there and loving it up. I'm not 100% or anything, but I wouldn't be backing him in the thread if I wasn't pretty sure he's legit.

Edit: vvv

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LMAO you're paranoid about saying "I know the image and maybe he's using one of the unassigned verses"?

Yeah, I am. He's told me a lot of things in confidence and I said I wouldn't tell anyone. I don't know the whole story yet. Why would I be a dick to the dude?

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 11, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ExtraNoise posted:

I do know which image he's talking about, but not the verse (it might be the one attached to the image currently, I'm not sure, or it might be one of the "leftover" ones). I am hesitant to share even this much because I'd hate to pull the rug out from under him.

LMAO you're paranoid about saying "I know the image and maybe he's using one of the unassigned verses"?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
This is starting to remind me of Ulillillia threads where half the goons peck on the glass while the other half pussyfoot around doing very little.

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Thanks for the support.

Mnemosyne posted:

Never been banned said he posted in this thread specifically because he wanted goons to pressure him into action. Yelling at him for not digging is exactly what he asked for.

Precisely true, which you have in no small way. I've been sitting on this info for a long long time, and the combined positive and negative pressure from you guys, gentlemen and wankers alike have lit a fire under this, right where it's needed.

We're working now to arrange getting this attempt made as quickly as possible.

Extranoise, I'm going to PM you some more about this later, and I already mentioned this to Xie, but the freeze last night/today is just a cold snap. I know from direct experience up there last year that we have another month before the soil will be undiggable. That said, time still is fairly precious, and the wet soil conditions and extremely late sunrise make the next 30 days the best possible time of year to do this. It's a unique opportunity, to be able to hit the park while it's technically open, and yet still under the complete cover of darkness, with all the lover's lane and stoner-skywatcher types at home in bed.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Never Been Banned posted:

It's a unique opportunity, to be able to hit the park while it's technically open, and yet still under the complete cover of darkness, with all the lover's lane and stoner-skywatcher types at home in bed.

I'm down with it. Let's do it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mnemosyne posted:

Never been banned said he posted in this thread specifically because he wanted goons to pressure him into action. Yelling at him for not digging is exactly what he asked for.

Of course, but then there's a couple of oddballs who seem really angry, which is taking all of this way too seriously and just turns into threadshitting.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Mod challenge sounds fun, he's requested goon pressure.

Thanks for the support.

Precisely true, which you have in no small way. I've been sitting on this info for a long long time, and the combined positive and negative pressure from you guys, gentlemen and wankers alike have lit a fire under this, right where it's needed.

We're working now to arrange getting this attempt made as quickly as possible.

Extranoise, I'm going to PM you some more about this later, and I already mentioned this to Xie, but the freeze last night/today is just a cold snap. I know from direct experience up there last year that we have another month before the soil will be undiggable. That said, time still is fairly precious, and the wet soil conditions and extremely late sunrise make the next 30 days the best possible time of year to do this. It's a unique opportunity, to be able to hit the park while it's technically open, and yet still under the complete cover of darkness, with all the lover's lane and stoner-skywatcher types at home in bed.

30 day deadline requested!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 12, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Supreme Court posted:

Mod challenge sounds fun, he's requested goon pressure.

30 day deadline requested!

30 is pretty lenient. I say 7 days.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
when are you guys going to come dig up my mug

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is this thing like 10 hours away or something? Just drive your car or rent a car and take a shovel and dig a hole. I'm not sure why there's so much hemming and hawwing about doing it at the precise right time. The right time is now cause you can take the evening to dig a hole.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

HMMMMM, I've spent enough time to write a novella about this other novella and am sure where this prize is and I really really want to do it. Better post about it then re read my novella and alter the syntax and check out amazon for a camo shovel cause my other 4 shovels may break. Welp, bedtime, gonna dream about maybe digging and maybe post about maybe digging.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 23, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What's up with not telling us what image you're working with? Do you seriously think someone is going to swoop in like Indiana Jones to steal a plaster shoebox that no one has located in over 30 years? I don't get why you're being such a retarded weirdo about this most basic info.

He's not retarded, he's autistic.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Waltzing Along posted:

He's not retarded, he's autistic.

I just always wanted to say that I dig your av/name :h: though I was always more of a Sometimes girl, or Fred Astaire

ahhhh, high school memories.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've seen Fred Astaire live a few times and each time has been a wonderful surprise. Because it's not one of the more popular songs, it is always unexpected. But man...I love Fred Astaire.

And thanks.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What's up with not telling us what image you're working with? Do you seriously think someone is going to swoop in like Indiana Jones to steal a plaster shoebox that no one has located in over 30 years? I don't get why you're being such a retarded weirdo about this most basic info.

Maybe I'm missing what you're complaining about, but a PDF explaining his solution, with the image and verse and all. Are you talking about some other image?

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not making fun of you,

You are in the minority

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...
Alright. I'm going to take the bait and briefly respond to the chorus of angry dudes itt who will immediately read this, ignore it, and go right back to being the angry dudes itt. I'll tell you why I haven't posted which image/verse the theory uses in good faith, with the hope that's going to make a difference and help the thread become more positive, which it won't, but whatevs, here goes.

--> I'm really not sure how to post a little, without posting a lot. <--

Everyone who has followed the thread knows that none of the 10 remaining images are thought to correspond with a location in the Pacific Northwest.

I claim, and with a bunch of annoying self-assuredness I do admit, to have figured out that one does.

That means I'm contradicting the hell out of what's strongly thought to be the case for one of them. People have put a ton of thought both inside this thread and on other communities into building cases for the image-city pairings of the things for a long time. A contrarian viewpoint, especially one with serious conviction, is going to require a high burden of proof right away. I couldn't really offer up anything to that effect without giving away the game, and I'd rather not do that before digging.

That's not just because I'm nervous that someone is going to gently caress up the site, but also because I'm looking forward to hopefully blindsiding the groupthink-tank over at Q4T, and all the efforts that have placed this cask so far afield of its location all these years. Not as some spiteful measure, but because I think that would be an exciting and rad moment.

Anyways, that's it really. Ron Paul 2016.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2016

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

--> I'm really not sure how to post a little, without posting a lot. <--

largely why you get made fun of

hth

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here ya go:

Post the city, picture and verse. Done.

That's a little.

You've already posted a lot. A lot about nothing.

So actually post something.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm guessing he's going with that Milwaukie Oregon thing, as opposed to Milwaukee, WI

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I've seen the manifesto and I have to be honest I'm not positive it's right, but it's internally consistent and leads to a spot to dig into the ground. If I can get a cheap ticket, sure I'll come help dig, why not? I don't have any expensive winter hobbies.

NBB's is not constructed the way I construct solutions to this puzzle. You can get a sense of its methods in charleston. It's based on the premise that not all puzzles follow the same Cleveland/Chicago pattern (I would add Boston to that list).

I'm on team "let's find out" not "call his widow out of bed."

NBB I went through my own bout with what you're dealing with, but nobody is going to steal your poo poo. I love this thread even with its trolls but it's tough enough to get someone to explore another theory let alone steal yours with just the painting.

If someone could be given a painting/verse and come to anything resembling the conclusion you have that would be a MAJOR boost.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Your talk of work, success, theories and closeness isn't a helpful mindset: it's not something you iteratively solve until you have the correct solution. There are no affirmative steps aside from "I dug it up".

Instead, you're looking to replicate a thought process or interpretation that's keyed to someone's personality, and you've got to do it so accurately that you find a 1ft radius location somewhere in the entire US thirty years ago.

That's cool, but telling people you've got proof of success in the codebreaking is useless without either strikingly obvious clue similarity, so much so that it must be unique within the US, or the actual box. You guys clearly aren't willing to hand over the former, which rules out everything bar pictures of a successful dig. I.e. put up, or shut up!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 12, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Your talk of work, success, theories and closeness isn't a helpful mindset: it's not something you iteratively solve until you have the correct solution. There are no affirmative steps aside from "I dug it up".

Instead, you're looking to replicate a thought process or interpretation that's keyed to someone's personality, and you've got to do it so accurately that you find a 1ft radius location somewhere in the entire US thirty years ago.

That's cool, but telling people you've got proof of success in the codebreaking is useless without either strikingly obvious clue similarity, so much so that it must be unique within the US, or the actual box. You guys clearly aren't willing to hand over the former, which rules out everything bar pictures of a successful dig. I.e. put up, or shut up!

drat this is a good post.

And I would like nothing better than to see NBB pull the mug out of the ground, but it's not going to happen.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

I'm not going to speak for NBB or his theory, but I don't think this is true at all. It's like saying you have made no progress on a marathon because you're only at mile #6. What's the point of anything if you view progress as "no progress" or "completed" with nothing in between?

We've gone from having the entire city of Boston open to us to narrowing it down to a very likely park. Is it a treasure? No, but it allows to work on filling in the nitty gritty rather than walking around entire cities looking for clues.

You can choose to define that as progress or not, but as someone who is interested in more than just refreshing a thread to see a prize it definitely counts as progress in my book.

I'd say a good "no progress" puzzle are the images most often associated with New Orleans and St Augustine. I don't think a single concrete clue has popped up for those in many years. It's all in the "this could mean X or Y" stages.

And once again, there are many people actively working this hunt elsewhere. I'd say the vast majority of the work these days takes place in small online groups that aren't even Q4T public. There aren't 2 goons working this not showing you guys results.

It's frustrating to see people who know nothing about the hunt making statements about it. There are people all over the place taking daily/weekly expeditions to various sites, working with land owners, etc. A GPR was recently rented in Milwaukee. People are doing stuff other than NBB (and myself). It may never lead to a treasure, and I can totally see how that doesn't feel like progress to people, but at the end of the day the only way to prove/disprove a theory is through testing/falsification. And I don't mean "you normies don't understand this hunt it's special" - it's not, but unless you're at least reading other places for info it's dumb to say what is/isn't happening.

This thread was dormant for a long time and I assure you people didn't stop working.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 12, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

xie posted:

I'm not going to speak for NBB or his theory, but I don't think this is true at all. It's like saying you have made no progress on a marathon because you're only at mile #6.

No, it's like being chucked out in the woods and then running around.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No, xie, it's not helpful because the marathon could have a chasm at Mile 25 that is literally uncrossable.

This is the problem, these clues have been erased, altered, destroyed, remodeled...on top of the fact that a lot of them are just plain bad.

There's no amount of analysis that will bring you to the Roanoke cask, for instance. It's gone. And don't be silly and say "no it's not there, you have it wrong, if you just try somewhere else..." It's there, the verse is airtight to bring you to Fort Raleigh and one of three beach paths, but then you get there and see the eroded shores, the collapsed fences, the remodel, the general wear on everything near the beach, and can't find a match to the image that's helpful: it's done. This is the uncrossable chasm.

Milwaukee, the trees cut down.
Boston, paved over.
Charleston, felonious as hell.
Houston, New York, San Francisco - garbage clues, garbage images.

etc. etc. etc.

Like, there's still a chance this can be done. There's probably still some info out there that could solve one of these. But that information will have to come to light first. Taking these garbage clues and garbage images and three decades of change and processing them in your brain is not going to lead to the answer. There isn't some Einstein level genius that could look at this poo poo and make sense of it. That's pure folly.

Stop with the "there's people working on this". They aren't producing casks. They're mentally masturbating. This game isn't hard to play. You get a theory. You go to the site. You take pictures. You walk around. You match poo poo to the image. You go back and dig if you are confident and want to risk jail. That's it. It's not a hard process, and it's not that slow.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 12, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Right, but if someone completes 24 of 26 miles of a marathon but can't finish for some reason, possibly even due to weather/factors outside of their control, would you say they accomplished nothing?

This isn't some zen buddhist poo poo, but if you look at it as "I want nerds showing me pictures of casques in the ground" then sure. But for the people who actually enjoy this poo poo and aren't just demanding other people dig, I disagree with you. It really is about the journey. I have a history degree, I like playing these stupid mental puzzles and learning about places even if it doesn't pay off.

If you take Roanoake as far as you can get what's wrong with that? How is that not progress? You've eliminated a huge chunk of the state and gotten it down to a square mile that time has probably made unsolvable. That's cool, and in a lot of ways, enough for me. I joke around that I'm a crazy person about this hunt but I'm not that crazy. That's cool as heck to me that we can even take it so far 32 years later. And some of those "so far" are recent developments, and that's cool for me too.

It's all of the onlookers in this thread who just want pictures of casks. This is like the dumbest, low impact hobby around. You (or someone like you, whether or not this is your hobby is irrelevant) will sit around and play video games for 20 hours a week, or watch people play video games for 20 hours a week, or play D&D in a group. It's OK to have a hobby even if the hobby doesn't "pay off." The average person probably spends more time in a year playing Sudoku/Crossword Puzzles/Bejeweled than most people spend on this. It's just a game.

Basically you're telling the people who are actually playing this game that they're wrong, and they're not having any fun, and you in your computer chair know what's really fun.

edit: If Charleston is a felony to dig up it was a felony to bury, and while Preiss only talks about "dangerous" locations, to me facing a felony is dangerous, so I've always felt Charleston is NOT on federal land. My point is that you're making statements about Charleston when the park isn't even narrowed down, and I very strongly believe that all 12 of them can at least be traced to a specific park.

xie fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Don't tell them poo poo NBB people getting all pissy about it while also claiming they think this stupid treasure hunt is stupid is funny

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

xie posted:

I'm not going to speak for NBB or his theory, but I don't think this is true at all. It's like saying you have made no progress on a marathon because you're only at mile #6. What's the point of anything if you view progress as "no progress" or "completed" with nothing in between?

Your marathon analogy only works if you accept that you've showed up for the marathon 30 years after it started, you went to where you thought the starting line once stood based on a picture and a verse that may or may not be for that marathon, and started running in the direction you thought was the correct one. Now you've run for 6 miles. Is it progress, is it not? Who the gently caress knows. The only way you can be sure you have made progress at this point is a posteriori, once you've reached the point where you think the finish line once stood, and dug up your chocolate medal. Until then, you are running blind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

xie posted:

Right, but if someone completes 24 of 26 miles of a marathon but can't finish for some reason, possibly even due to weather/factors outside of their control, would you say they accomplished nothing?

if the goal was to run a marathon, then yes i would

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

xie posted:

You have no frame of reference to measure your success. Literally the only measurable progress is successfully digging up a box, and anything else is total conjecture.

You're not running a marathon, or anything else that has visible progress. A less absurd metaphor: you're a blind guy who's started running, and the finish line is a piece of Braille somewhere on the continent by Winston Churchill.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Pick posted:

if the goal was to run a marathon, then yes i would

Great then we're in agreement, since most people playing this game don't define pulling up a cask as the only measure of success. We enjoy it for the puzzle's sake even if it's probably not solvable, just as many people enjoy running without ever desiring to complete a timed and registered race.

edit: You guys aren't going to magically convince me that my fun spare time hobby isn't fun, sorry! If you can't understand that everyone has different hobbies and what seems stupid to one may seem fun to another IDK what to say except leave the thread then?

xie fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 12, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Literally nobody is telling you not to have fun with this. People are telling you to stop assuming that you have measurable progress when the only scale is binary (dug up vs. not dug up).

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Literally nobody is telling you not to have fun with this. People are telling you to stop assuming that you have measurable progress when the only scale is binary (dug up vs. not dug up).

but who cares? it's literally semantics, does it really matter to you if someone posts "heres an update on what has happened" vs "heres an update on the progress"? "work is being done" "progress is being made" it's just goon sperging over someone using the wrong word. Why does it bother you if I say "progress?"

your post calls out the issue i have: some people feel that locking down a path/park or finding image matches in cities is progress. you don't. you're arguing over the definition of 'progress' like it matters. you don't get to decide what my goals are and whether i'm making progress on them. that's not how it works. I'm allowed to set my own personal measure of progress because I have my own feelings about the puzzles and how solvable any of them are at this point.

I also have a belief that the park can be conclusively narrowed down, which you may not subscribe to. If for you the only thing that will convince you of a park/path/location is a cask, then you're right. If you (like me) think you can make a good circumstantial case for a park, I still view that as "neat" and call it "progress" in my head.

xie fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xie I hope you pull one of these mugs out of the ground one day, I really sincerely do. All I care about is what makes an interesting/funny thread, and posting wacky theories is p. good. Being a secret agent about your mug location is not. Please don't drive yourself crazy.