Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

On the subject of that Expert Sleepers bit...

So, right now in my setup I've got a firewire based Mixer with 12 analog ins that I mainly use, and then I have an EMU PCI card that has ADAT channels that I picked up cheap a long time ago on some cyber-monday deal. Anyway, Im planning on using that for an ES interface, but, Im realizing I'm going to need a way to use multiple interfaces inside my DAW. Do you just use ASIO4ALL or is Jack for Windows a viable/better option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mr. Glass posted:

this is incredible.

agreed, best thing ive seen in a minute

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Any of you guys have experience with the QuNeo? Feeling itchy for a non-keyboard controller.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought Z3TA+2 earlier this year and only now got around to delving into it, these are my initial impressions:

Good:

- 2x oversampling and highest precision mode sounds awesome
- performance playing and real time control options are probably the most configurable and advanced I've seen so far in anything
- loads your own wavetables, LFO shapes, arp patterns if you want
- that arp's really quite powerful
- flexible FX order
- useful EQs out the wazoo
- good factory content

Bad:

- 2x oversampling and highest precision kills CPUs dead, compromises must be made
- Shittily parameterized, inflexible reverb that as a result sounds bad in many situations because it's impossible to dial in the sound you want (for instance, predelay and room size are not configurable other than by choosing one of 5 reverb types, and then they're stupidly linked to each other so you cannot have a long reverb tail without a long, mushy predelay)
- the arp fucks with playing and testing patches - if the host isn't playing, for example, the arp will not play the sequence but just one note, and unless you know what's happening it feels as if the patch is inexplicably monophonic. this is exacerbated by the overreliance of the factory content on the arpeggiator
- modulation usability kind of breaks down with very small values (like those necessary for subtle vibrato)
- unintuitive modulation lingo has to be learned by heart and is otherwise pretty much unusable without the handbook (you're constantly going like, wait what the gently caress does BLINEAR- mean again)
- patches and especially modulations can get incredibly intricate (which is great!), but there's no way to comment patches or at least name modulations sensibly, which limits preset usefulness and accessibility
- distortion effect is weak
- delay time counting seems off by a factor of 4, at least compared to my host and other synths like Massive. Perhaps it's not a bug but unintutive naming, like "1/4" not meaning "1/4 note" but "1/4 of the length of the currently loaded arp pattern" or something
- the GUI has these multiple choice fields everywhere, you're supposed to left click to go to the next value, right click to get to the previous, and that sucks balls. Some fields, with no discernable pattern, get a nifty and useful dropdown menu in addition, but most don't

I guess that list looks overall more negative than positive, but I wouldn't say the points were all equally weighted, much of the "bad" stuff is workflow related and doesn't impact the sound much. I'm pretty happy I picked it up and it's definitely possible to get kickass sounds out of it. I won't however do what I did with Massive, I think (which is build a 500+ preset sound bank). Also, to me personally the live performance capabilities, really one of the strongest points of the software, are perhaps less valuable than to others, since I am not a great instrumentalist and prefer sequencing and automating asynchronously to performing and recording live.

Overall (preliminary) verdict: 7 out of 10 cats

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Truly, there has never been a 9 cat synth, let alone a 10. So that's really not so bad.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Trust me when I say that one cat out of three is more than enough for a Monotron.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Trust me when I say that one cat out of three is more than enough for a Monotron.

Modding it will make it actually usable and adds cats to the score.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

AxeBreaker posted:

I could be making "music" but instead I posted this.

When my cat sits around the synth he really sits around the synth.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I started to play with my gear last night, and the rimshot/trigger on the 707 was starting to not play/drive the 101 sequencer when there was another sound programmed in on the same step (on the MC-500 rhythm patterns not internal sequencer) and then it just stopped entirely but I could push the button on the unit and it would work. All other sounds worked fine.

Frustrating troubleshooting and testing - plugged the 707 directly into the MC-500 to remove variables and it worked just fine. Turned out that when I got stuck in a MIDI processor menu on the patch bay (pressing buttons trying to get out with very sensitive membrane buttons), I somehow inadvertently pinpointed that specific MIDI information and set something up. I didn't go back and look to see what was done, but it just baffled me that it happened to be affecting one of the very important features of the 707 and nothing else. I was getting worried something had fried and I'd need to buy a new one. I would have never noticed if it was the cowbell sound.

This is what I made once I had it hooked up again:
https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/cga

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 13, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
does anyone happen to know how the new electribe's midi adapters are wired? do they use the same setup in any of their other synths? I'm building some hardware that will use a similar setup (for space reasons) and i'd like it to be compatible with the electribe so I can just use a regular 3.5mm cable to connect them.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
:siren: REMINDER: still accepting submissions to the SA Synth Winter Holiday All-Inclusive Music Album :siren:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://soundcloud.com/wernotron/flurry-tease

This is all I have of my three ideas I originally had. :smith:

That's what happens when I don't immediately work on an idea for a song.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 14, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

You have a deadline for the winter comp? Getting pretty close with my track.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Mannnn I got so sideswiped with work stuff I haven't been able to do anything.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
No rush! Just a reminder :unsmith:

Deadline is December 1st

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

No rush! Just a reminder :unsmith:

Deadline is December 1st

Who else besides Sizone and me have submitted?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

Mine's not even really done. What went up was more a proof of concept that music can be made with an iPad, really the kind of sloppy, dirty thing better suited for the SA xmas album, which doesn't seem to be a happening thing this year. May or may not get the more real thing I'm working on done on time. Though I have gotten, like, 10 patches made for the mR RACK and a sample collection that I like a lot compiled into a thumbjam instrument, hmmmm....and I seem to have worked out the genome export to .mid, open in reaper workflow. Guess really all I have to do now is sit down and make some music. Still probably won't be done in two weeks. May or may not try to work some polish into the previous turd.

Oh, and CAT rear end NOW got a track up and it's pretty good.

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
Anyone like the Sonic Potions LXR? I'm thinking about selling off my ER-1 and Volca Beats, and replacing them with that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VoodooXT posted:

Still working on mine, should be done this weekend.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

I'm on it too

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

4) Who are the studs/studdettes participating in this awesome thing?

Please add me, I'll gladly contribute as it goes to a good cause.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried making something out of unfinished stuff I had laying around, but it seems I'm still rubbish at actually trying to come up with any sort of "progression".

Here's what I've got so far (since I probably won't complete it, like always):
http://tindeck.com/listen/danm

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I impulse-bought a Rhythm Wolf and drat the complaints about the bass tuning are not exaggerated. thankfully the drums seem capable enough to justify the purchase but holy poo poo :aaaaa:

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Made a short little ambient track for the winter synth thing. Might do something more upbeat later on if I get the time, but I didn't want to completely miss out. Track was created with the iPad app Orphion and Absynth. Sent midi from Orphion to Absynth and jammed this track out.

https://soundcloud.com/sinerider/escaping-the-cold

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'd be totally up for contributing but I don't want to promise I can bang it out in a week and not get chance. Consider me a maybe.

e: anyone here used the midi out function of a maschine to go a hardware synth?
It's set up to go into an ultranova but it isnt making any sounds. I can play the ultranova normally fine, tried all combination of midi channels, but using the maschines midi out does nothing. dont know if the maschine isnt sending, it's a bad cable or the ultranova is the issue. followed a bunch of youtube tutorials to the letter, they just plug in a midi cable and it works. and mine doesnt. any ideas?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 15, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

SineRider posted:

Made a short little ambient track for the winter synth thing. Might do something more upbeat later on if I get the time, but I didn't want to completely miss out. Track was created with the iPad app Orphion and Absynth. Sent midi from Orphion to Absynth and jammed this track out.

https://soundcloud.com/sinerider/escaping-the-cold

I like it. reminds me I gotta learn to make better use of Absynth instead of twiddling out sine wave patches all day.

e: Here's a first draft of my contribution
https://soundcloud.com/tttfff0/winter-solstice-wip/s-4PQc8

Would really appreciate some feedback, feeling a bit lost here.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Second half is pretty good. I wouldn't touch anything from about 1.45 on. First two minutes basically need to be compressed into one minute. Write another 2 or 3 or so melody lines for the intro synth and cycle them in. Like instead of 1213 1213 1213........1213 4243 4546 or something. You need some bassy cello bowing to come in about .20. Maybe some texture stuff, industrial trope of a dialog snippet or two might be good, or a really slow evolving wavetable synth patch.

E: oh, and an answer back line at 2.46, 2.51 ect.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 16, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind, especially with the first melody thing. I have a hard time figuring out how much variation is losing the flow of a track.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

BKPR posted:

Any of you guys have experience with the QuNeo? Feeling itchy for a non-keyboard controller.

I have a QuNexus, and can say that the construction is solid, the editing software useful, and you will probably have a good time with the Neo.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Schindler's Fist posted:

I have a QuNexus, and can say that the construction is solid, the editing software useful, and you will probably have a good time with the Neo.

Neat. probably gonna be my next purchase.

No one else has mentioned it so I'll point out that Max 7 is out now. Aside from autotuning and pitch-independent time stretching, it has a pretty extensive modular synth built in and let's you use M4L stuff. Apparently also improvements to VST integration, though it doesn't seem to let you use instruments.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 17, 2014

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

BKPR posted:

I like it. reminds me I gotta learn to make better use of Absynth instead of twiddling out sine wave patches all day.

Thanks! Yeah absynth can be pretty fun to mess around with.

BKPR posted:

No one else has mentioned it so I'll point out that Max 7 is out now. Aside from autotuning and pitch-independent time stretching, it has a pretty extensive modular synth built in and let's you use M4L stuff. Apparently also improvements to VST integration, though it doesn't seem to let you use instruments.

I've been using the trial the past couple days. So far I can say it's a major improvement in performance, especially using Jitter. Although my favorite feature so far has been the crash recovery system. No more losing your patches when it decides to crash. I've started working with Jitter for the first time recently to generate some visuals for a composition I'm working on. I've found it crashing a ton for whatever reason so it's nice to have a bit of security and not have to worry about saving every step of the way.

Both the BEAP and Vizzie modules are really great too imo

Does the new VST implementation really not work with instruments? That's weird because you could use them with Max 6 with vst~

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's actually fairly likely that I just botched it. It's been ages since I used Max properly.

My big complaint is that apparently recorded video playback doesn't work in Windows 64-bit. This was an issue in 6, which is why I didn't bother much with Jitter. I'd hoped it would've been addressed by now. You can still do generative video stuff though.

e: more accurate to say: i am struggling to get MIDI messages TO VST instruments.

e2: alright, getting there. false alarm.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 17, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
SoundCloud just notified me they've blocked one of my tracks because "may contain the following copyright content: "Paris" by Robert M., Yoann Feynman, owned by Sony Music Entertainment."

The track in question is something I put together from scratch in like two hours for a podcast I used to listen to a couple of years ago.
I'd link to my song if it weren't blocked.

This is the song they say I infringed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZ-GH7_qt0

Funny thing about it is I can see why my track might have been flagged; the guys who did that song were obviously using the same 303 pattern I was using in D16 Phoscyon, heh.

Anyway, I submitted a dispute with SoundCloud and you have to checkmark like 8 different required things that basically amount to, "YES I REALLY AM TELLING THE TRUTH, SO HELP ME GOD"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I've had 5 of these automated copyright blockings in the past months, all bullshit of course. I wrote an email to their copyright team asking to not auto-block hits from the bot, but have not received an answer.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Hey SineRider can you send me a download link for your track? Cheers!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I'm traveling so I can't really do anything new right now but if you need another track here's a disco-y thing I did a few months back.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/disco-twirl-1

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Thanks SineRider, got it!

mofolotopo posted:

I'm traveling so I can't really do anything new right now but if you need another track here's a disco-y thing I did a few months back.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/disco-twirl-1

This track makes me want to put on my ugly x-mas sweater and get to dancing. Can you send me a download link or make the track downloadable? I'll put it on the record.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Awesome! I just bought some (hopefully) non-ugly sweaters myself. Instead of going dancing I'm going to go eat a bunch of Greek food and snore greasily through the night.

http://www.danwarren.net/Podcast/Disco%20Twirl%203-001.mp3

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
RL poo poo came up this weekend so while I got to work on my track a bit it's still not finished. Luckily I still have 2 more weekends to finish things up... and I might have 2 finished by that time since while working I got sidetracked starting something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
My wife shook her head in confused disappointment when I told her what I was planning to do for the Synthgoon Not-a-Christmas-album.

Pretty sure that means I'm on the right track.