Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Or find a key to a door outside the barrier, or ask someone who isn't a spectral to go outside the barrier and get a key to a door outside the barrier.

Actually, does the Consortium have any non-Spectral members? It probably should, if only for things like this where they need the help of someone who isn't sensitive to (and thus vulnerable to) the spirit world.

Anyway, like Zach says he has the benefit of the doubt and we might find Zarei's statement is pretty conditional. They're not cut off from communicating with the Consortium, since Spender could visit in his dreams and phones are still a thing. There seem to be all kinds of spirits and innovative powers so there's no saying they can't find some other way through eventually, via Doorman there was already one way through the barrier they didn't know about and there could be more.

How old is the Mayview barrier? Did they have the Ghost Train when it went up? Has it always been their only way in and out of town, and if so has it always worked with Zarei? If that's true it seems like an awfully important thing to have treated it so casually.

I'd also like to note that Spender lied to Zarei about his encounter with Forge, which honestly seems weird since Forge was just a big, bad wandering monster to Spender so what's the point of hiding that he found and destroyed him? At the very least it suggests he doesn't trust her very much.

Maybe they're an item with antagonistic tendencies and he's deflecting legitimate concern, maybe he doesn't like to be seen in a position of weakness, maybe he's a huge dork

Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that dinosaur bitey-grabby tool seems hilariously powerful

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zarei jumped straight to 'you trapped us all' rather than 'you killed my friend!', which isn't doing wonders for my opinion of her.

Dolash posted:

Or find a key to a door outside the barrier, or ask someone who isn't a spectral to go outside the barrier and get a key to a door outside the barrier.

I feel like if there was a door within range Forge would've been told of it rather than 'go make your own'.

quote:

I'd also like to note that Spender lied to Zarei about his encounter with Forge, which honestly seems weird since Forge was just a big, bad wandering monster to Spender so what's the point of hiding that he found and destroyed him? At the very least it suggests he doesn't trust her very much.

I suspect he's embarrassed/awkward at how thoroughly he got his arse kicked and is pretending he was fine.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

that dinosaur bitey-grabby tool seems hilariously powerful

All Jojo powers are hilariously powerful.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

Zarei jumped straight to 'you trapped us all' rather than 'you killed my friend!', which isn't doing wonders for my opinion of her.

This is almost certainly going to be a major theme throughout the comic, after we've had it so heavily established with Isaac's relationship with his spirit, Isabella/Eightfold, and Spender actively (and immorally, it seems) imprisoning his shadow spirit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

Honestly if you're a spectral with a free-standing spirit friend and you don't have a plan for incarnating your spirit in a tool/yourself in case they get hosed up you're probably not very good at your job. I'm pretty sure she has a backup plan, just not one that allows them to get out of mayview any time soon :v:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Congratulations, Spender, it turns out there is someone out there who's almost as much of a gently caress-up as you are. Almost.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 9, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hope the train possesses Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDD58pXJNI&t=111s

or anybody really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A few minor notes: Zarei refers to the train as "13", rather than by a "normal" name. I don't think it's the only spirit she's tamed, either, though I can't recall specific evidence of this. She also gets irritated and snatches the arrow off of it the way she does because it ignores her command.

Day is totally about to go into spirit time, or at least i being possessed or something, before that other agent crushes the train. I like the spooky round glowing eyes look. Zarei pulls a pretty good one a few panels later herself, on that topic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

A few minor notes: Zarei refers to the train as "13", rather than by a "normal" name.

Trains have numbers, though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Opposing Farce posted:

Congratulations, Spender, it turns out there is someone out there who's almost as much of a gently caress-up as you are. Almost.

Nah, we can blame Zarei's actions on Spender again. Everything is always Spender's fault.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She said she was only visiting Mayview when Spender asked why "they" (the Consortium, clearly) would be "wasting [her] on guard duty". Who's she visiting? Probably the train itself, I'd say.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Nah, we can blame Zarei's actions on Spender again. Everything is always Spender's fault.

I think it's supposed to be the guard that's almost as much of a fuckup as spender.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Poor Max had to watch his first true love get its head crushed in. :smith:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Rhonne posted:

Poor Max had to watch his first true love get its head crushed in. :smith:
And crushed by the "I'm crushing your head!" gag, at that.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it's supposed to be the guard that's almost as much of a fuckup as spender.

Yeah, that's who I had in mind.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

also spender's fault. really everything in this chapter is spender's fault

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I think with the "everyone's trapped in Mayview" set up, we're heading for the next chapter being a ~murder mystery~!

Of course why Zack wouldn't have the murder mystery take place on a train is besides the point

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would think a murder mystery would be pretty easy to solve in this situation, considering you could just ask the ghost that pops out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ghosts can be destroyed. Surely a double-murder would be even more evil?

Actually, I wonder if the ghosts of dead Consortium members play any role in the organization? They'd still be around, after all.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No unpeople allowed.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Reg Shoe would have a thing or three to say about that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hey, an update!

Max is in an understandably bad mood now that his trip to visit his mom is scrapped, not that Isabel and Ed are picking up on that (maybe Isaac?). Had to laugh at the motorcycle work-around for Spender's car being full.

Now, who's this shadow the dogs work for?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
There sure are a lot of sexy vehicular bachelors in that panel. Personally I'm a sucker for Thomas' steamy intensity.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

A big flaming stink posted:

also spender's fault. really everything in this chapter is spender's fault

Seriously, Spender completely fumbled the situation in just about every possible way. Short of a student straight-up dying (which very nearly happened twice), I don't know how things could be worse.

Did we know before now that the shield was the Consortium's doing?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

No, this is new information.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Lord of Hats posted:

Seriously, Spender completely fumbled the situation in just about every possible way. Short of a student straight-up dying (which very nearly happened twice), I don't know how things could be worse.

Spender mentioned at some point that one of their spectrals raised it using a spirit's power. Probably they could even take it down, except that that would probably defeat the purpose of bubbling the whole town!

I mean, seriously, that bubble is a disaster waiting to happen the minute an unknown new spectral tries to drive into Mayview. They must really want to keep the town concealed.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Pretty sure Spender mentioned a colleague did it at some point. Or maybe Zack said it somewhere.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
According to the news post, Paranatural's on hiatus from now to the 21st.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh god, those vehicles, oh dear god :stonk:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Happy Yeti posted:

Pretty sure Spender mentioned a colleague did it at some point. Or maybe Zack said it somewhere.

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=228
Comic hints that the lady seduced the train in order to tame it. This comic is all about human-vehicle love.

The 2 pages after deal with how Max could have died if he left Mayview in a normal car.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I reread Chapter 4 and something jumped out at me:

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=279

I think the "Cousinhood dogs" were actually under the employ of Boss Leader, and she used them to lure away Spender. The giant spider that saved Max in the underground tunnel had a conspicuous black zipper on it as well. Was this a distraction to separate Max from the group so Boss Leader could talk to him and try to recruit him onto her side?

She apologizes specifically for putting Max in danger and causing him to lose consciousness. She also says she didn't mean to lead the kids into harm.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
They're not using "dogs" literally, it's a sign that they don't think much of the Cousinhood. It's implied to be another human organization that has something to do with ghosts. I would guess they're a lot more violent in eir methods and probably less accepting of mediums/maybe tool users. She asked that the kids go along because she wanted them introduced to Agent Day ASAP, because otherwise Spender could likely put it off indefinitely, and hide whatever he's doing that much better. She didn't expect the entire operation to go tits-up like it did, so when she finds Max unconscious, she realizes *something* disastrous happened, and she inadvertently lead the kids into it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

I think the point of hiding it is so that Spender doesn't have to say something like "I don't know where Forge is." Sure, he defeated Forge, but not 'destroyed' him. We may know where Forge is now, but Spender doesn't.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So it's taken me several re-reads to really figure it out, but let's see if I got all this right:

Splender says he's a medium for an extremely dangerous spirit, and if he's killed it'll be released. So for a while I thought this was his Lucifer spirit, but that's not the case at all is it? The back and forth between them was always confusing so it took me re-reading it several times to get it. Lucifer is tied to the glasses, so they always have to remain on because he is essentially a cage for the dangerous spirit that's in Splender right? And I guess the spirit fusion he does with Splender basically caused him to not be able to pay attention to the prisoner, at which point it tries to escape? He and Lucifer were able to seal it back up in time. But now Splender looks like poo poo. Is he looking like poo poo because he's just super shaken up and weak now, or is he trying to focus on keeping that spirit locked up now alongside Lucifer?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Macaluso posted:

So it's taken me several re-reads to really figure it out, but let's see if I got all this right:

Splender says he's a medium for an extremely dangerous spirit, and if he's killed it'll be released. So for a while I thought this was his Lucifer spirit, but that's not the case at all is it? The back and forth between them was always confusing so it took me re-reading it several times to get it. Lucifer is tied to the glasses, so they always have to remain on because he is essentially a cage for the dangerous spirit that's in Splender right? And I guess the spirit fusion he does with Splender basically caused him to not be able to pay attention to the prisoner, at which point it tries to escape? He and Lucifer were able to seal it back up in time. But now Splender looks like poo poo. Is he looking like poo poo because he's just super shaken up and weak now, or is he trying to focus on keeping that spirit locked up now alongside Lucifer?

That's pretty much it. You can actually see the shadow of the shadow monster in its cage in some panels. http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=241 http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=287

As for why he looks like poo poo, well, I think he's both reflecting on what a lovely job he did almost getting a bunch of kids killed on what was supposed to be a simple, easy mission, including carelessly unleashing an eldritch horror upon them, as well as bothered by the implications of everyone being stuck in Mayview.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 12, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Zarei had a plan for tooling up 13 after all :smug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fecha posted:

That's pretty much it. You can actually see the shadow of the shadow monster in its cage in some panels. http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=241 http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=287

As for why he looks like poo poo, well, I think he's both reflecting on what a lovely job he did almost getting a bunch of kids killed on what was supposed to be a simple, easy mission, including carelessly unleashing an eldritch horror upon them, as well as bothered by the implications of everyone being stuck in Mayview.

Oh huh interesting. I didn't notice the shadows in the cage in those panels before! Lucifer also verifies what I thought, the spirit fusion basically hosed up his ability to keep the monster caged.

edit: Eightfold being on the other side of the barrier is going to be important later I bet

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 12, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Poor Max, I forgot he was planning to leave Mayview to see his dead mom. Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Lord of Hats posted:

They're not using "dogs" literally, it's a sign that they don't think much of the Cousinhood. It's implied to be another human organization that has something to do with ghosts. I would guess they're a lot more violent in eir methods and probably less accepting of mediums/maybe tool users. She asked that the kids go along because she wanted them introduced to Agent Day ASAP, because otherwise Spender could likely put it off indefinitely, and hide whatever he's doing that much better. She didn't expect the entire operation to go tits-up like it did, so when she finds Max unconscious, she realizes *something* disastrous happened, and she inadvertently lead the kids into it.

How do you explain "Inhuman choices can be made with the best --" (of intentions, presumably), then?