Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jackpot posted:

I just realized that regardless of the security I have on my phone (Passcode and Touch ID), it's possible for someone to simply pick it up, hold down the power button, and then shut it off. Takes about five seconds, after which Find my Phone is completely worthless in a "find my poo poo now before they get too far away" kind of way. Because of that, shouldn't powering off be something that requires a passcode? Is this an option I just haven't found yet?

As someone else mentioned the last time I saw this discussed, this could be negated by the hard reset of holding down power/home buttons. And don't say "put a password on that too" because that measure is for when your phone is bricked/crashed a lot of times, so you can't require a password on a hardware reset feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

jackpot posted:

I just realized that regardless of the security I have on my phone (Passcode and Touch ID), it's possible for someone to simply pick it up, hold down the power button, and then shut it off. Takes about five seconds, after which Find my Phone is completely worthless in a "find my poo poo now before they get too far away" kind of way. Because of that, shouldn't powering off be something that requires a passcode? Is this an option I just haven't found yet?

If you're interested in stopping this, there is a jailbreak solution in iCaughtU and the Pro version. It will automatically capture front-camera photos, location, and other details about your phone and send them to an email address you specify, along with regular updates if you want. It prevents shutting down, incorrect TouchID or passcode attempts, etc. and remote commands as well.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 11, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

spongeworthy posted:

If you interested in stopping this, there is a jailbreak solution in iCaughtU and the Pro version. It will automatically capture front-camera photos, location, and other details about your phone and send them to an email address you specify, along with regular updates if you want. It prevents shutting down, incorrect TouchID or passcode attempts, etc. and remote commands as well.

Wow, I would actually jailbreak for this.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Bottom Liner posted:

As someone else mentioned the last time I saw this discussed, this could be negated by the hard reset of holding down power/home buttons. And don't say "put a password on that too" because that measure is for when your phone is bricked/crashed a lot of times, so you can't require a password on a hardware reset feature.
Yeah, that makes sense.

spongeworthy posted:

If you interested in stopping this, there is a jailbreak solution in iCaughtU and the Pro version. It will automatically capture front-camera photos, location, and other details about your phone and send them to an email address you specify, along with regular updates if you want. It prevents shutting down, incorrect TouchID or passcode attempts, etc. and remote commands as well.
The front camera thing is pretty cool, I wonder what it would take to get Apple to build that in?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Even if they can shut it off, if your device is touchid and passcode protected, isn't it worthless since it can never be resold without the passcode?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bird Law posted:

Even if they can shut it off, if your device is touchid and passcode protected, isn't it worthless since it can never be resold without the passcode?

Yep. Someday that device will get powered on and phone home, and you'll be able to find it.

If it gets reported as stolen the device will get put on the blacklist and no one will be able to use it on any phone network ever again.

I guess someone could find it useful for wifi only but they'd first have to come up with a way to wipe the OS and remove the passcode.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

xzzy posted:

Yep. Someday that device will get powered on and phone home, and you'll be able to find it.

If it gets reported as stolen the device will get put on the blacklist and no one will be able to use it on any phone network ever again.

I guess someone could find it useful for wifi only but they'd first have to come up with a way to wipe the OS and remove the passcode.

Couldn't you just put it in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes, and then set it up as a new phone? Seems pretty simple.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EC posted:

Couldn't you just put it in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes, and then set it up as a new phone? Seems pretty simple.
Nope. It won't activate if Find My iPhone wasn't deactivated first.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bird Law posted:

Turning it off makes it so that you can't track down your stolen phone, but in the long run it reduces theft by making stolen phones useless.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've always thought of Find My iPhone as more of a way to find something you've lost in a safe-ish location (in your house, a friend's house, at work) as opposed to tracking a phone that's been stolen.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've always thought of Find My iPhone as more of a way to find something you've lost in a safe-ish location (in your house, a friend's house, at work) as opposed to tracking a phone that's been stolen.

It's for both.

My girlfriend lost her phone at a baseball game. We logged into Find my iPhone and saw the phone on the map right by where our seats were. We contacted lost and found and everything but never actually found it. I think it eventually ran out of battery and then someone took it. They must have never turned it on though because it still shows up in Find My iPhone as in Lost Mode with the last know location being the 3rd base side of AT&T park in 2013 :(.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

dutchbstrd posted:

It's for both.

My girlfriend lost her phone at a baseball game. We logged into Find my iPhone and saw the phone on the map right by where our seats were. We contacted lost and found and everything but never actually found it. I think it eventually ran out of battery and then someone took it. They must have never turned it on though because it still shows up in Find My iPhone as in Lost Mode with the last know location being the 3rd base side of AT&T park in 2013 :(.

Probably died laying under the bleachers.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bottom Liner posted:

Even then it sucks, because renewing a 2 year contract with a subsidy priced phone adds the new $25 a month charge that's not on Next plans or if you bring your own phone. That's what happened to me, I had no option of getting a new phone without paying more per month.
:confused: I just renewed a 2-year contract on an unlimited plan and got a subsidized phone but the monthly rate stayed the same. No "new $25 charge".

v:shobon:v

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

randyest posted:

:confused: I just renewed a 2-year contract on an unlimited plan and got a subsidized phone but the monthly rate stayed the same. No "new $25 charge".

Yeah, people are confused on that I think. The $25 charge only hits the new cheaper no contract plans to bring it inline with the old more expensive plans, if you use the 2 year upgrade.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Exactly. There wouldn't be an extra charge if you never switched to a mobile share plan and got the initial discount in the first place.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My silly friend never upgraded his 4s from 7.0 to 7.1, let alone to 8.1. Is there a chance for him to update to 7.1? I kind of doubt it. It sucks that you can't incrementally update to the version that reduces animations and improves performance on old devices. You have to upgrade all the way to the software that reportedly makes the phone run lovely.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Endless Mike posted:

I would recommend you go to the AT&T thread and post your plan and have the people there help you through it. You might find yourself spending less money for the same or better service while not being stuck on a contract.

Well i am on a family plan where the parents are paying for the whole plan. So the monthly usage fee is not an issue. Im just trying to figure out the best way to get a new iPhone. I have an upgrade available so i dont see how i should have to pay 650$ or do the next plan...

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

randyest posted:

Same with me. Although I got some bullshit $40 activation fee that I got waived by using ATT online chat.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I'm amazed how little understanding some of you people have towards these simple issues.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
What does the equivalent base plan of ~2GB data or so on T-mobile work out to be monthly?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fleshweasel posted:

My silly friend never upgraded his 4s from 7.0 to 7.1, let alone to 8.1. Is there a chance for him to update to 7.1? I kind of doubt it. It sucks that you can't incrementally update to the version that reduces animations and improves performance on old devices. You have to upgrade all the way to the software that reportedly makes the phone run lovely.

You're right; you can't.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

What does the equivalent base plan of ~2GB data or so on T-mobile work out to be monthly?

MY buddy pays for "unlimited everything*" for $50.

*After 1gb of data I think he gets super throttled, or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

$50 - 1 GB
$60 - 3 GB
$70 - 5 GB
$80 - Unlimited

The less than unlimited plans just severely throttle once the limit is hit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm amazed how little understanding some of you people have towards these simple issues.

Freaking owned everyone! BAM!

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

$50 - 1 GB
$60 - 3 GB
$70 - 5 GB
$80 - Unlimited

The less than unlimited plans just severely throttle once the limit is hit.

I really should dump my enterprise at&t plan if that's pricing for a new device. This "line access" fee on at&t is bullshit.

e: this makes me curious, T-mo will pay an ETF fee on your current plan, but if you're on AT&T Next is that possible?

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 12, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

I really should dump my enterprise at&t plan if that's pricing for a new device. This "line access" fee on at&t is bullshit.

e: this makes me curious, T-mo will pay an ETF fee on your current plan, but if you're on AT&T Next is that possible?

AT&T Next has no ETF since you're paying for the device rather than contract terms, so no.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Enlighten us oh great one.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

AT&T Next has no ETF since you're paying for the device rather than contract terms, so no.

Right, so one needs to pay off the device then switch. Oh well

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

T-Mobile doesn't offer subsidy, period, so that's your "line access" fee and your data package fee.

You've still got your device installments on top of that.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

T-Mobile doesn't offer subsidy, period, so that's your "line access" fee and your data package fee.

You've still got your device installments on top of that.

Gotcha, I was thinking that was total price. I haven't looked at T-mo plans but after all the ruckus I heard I thought they were just that exceptionally cheap.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
According to Apple's iMessage deactivation tool my iPhone doesn't have iMessage enabled. My iPhone also doesn't think it's activated, but still sends/receives via iMessage. What a magnificent system. :(

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Creature posted:

According to Apple's iMessage deactivation tool my iPhone doesn't have iMessage enabled. My iPhone also doesn't think it's activated, but still sends/receives via iMessage. What a magnificent system. :(
It deactivates iMessage tied to your phone number. iMessages to your email address are unaffected.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Freaking owned everyone! BAM!

Agreed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and I'm super happy. Helps that I'm in the Bay Area and get good service here I suppose.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I would recommend you go to the AT&T thread and post your plan and have the people there help you through it. You might find yourself spending less money for the same or better service while not being stuck on a contract.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a reason why the forecast.io webapp should take an extremely long time to load on my iPhone 6, even in an area with really strong wifi? Also, is there another weather app that is as good (or uses the same data) for predicting the rain for the next few hours as accurately as forecast.io does (especially the feature where the upcoming hour seems to be very accurate in 10 minute chunks)?

Weather widget totally optional because we don't need to discuss that again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is there a reason why the forecast.io webapp should take an extremely long time to load on my iPhone 6, even in an area with really strong wifi? Also, is there another weather app that is as good (or uses the same data) for predicting the rain for the next few hours as accurately as forecast.io does (especially the feature where the upcoming hour seems to be very accurate in 10 minute chunks)?

Dark Sky http://darkskyapp.com/ (has widget)

e: i win

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Are you purposefully avoiding Dark Sky? If not, that's the app you should use.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just got my iPhone 6+ and love it except for one little issue:

Anybody else get the error "this accessory may not be supported"? What could be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I just got my iPhone 6+ and love it except for one little issue:

Anybody else get the error "this accessory may not be supported"? What could be causing this?

Typically lint or something else in your lightning port. Get a toothpick and clean that poo poo out.