Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
This has been a pretty interesting read for someone who is on the other side of the training for you guys here at the Academy. As an RPO, if any of you have come through tower in the last 2 years or terminal in the last 6. I've probably had some sort of interaction with you.

Also, in response to the board with the shorthand. I've noticed that ATC's have some of the sloppiest readable handwriting I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

WD40 posted:

I remember once I was in a passenger jet and another plane passed beneath ours, big 747 type thing. It couldn't have been less than 100 feet below. I remember thinking 'that's awfully close'. That shouldn't have happened, right?

You can do visual separation under Fl 180. So depends on how high you guys were.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WD40 posted:

I remember once I was in a passenger jet and another plane passed beneath ours, big 747 type thing. It couldn't have been less than 100 feet below. I remember thinking 'that's awfully close'. That shouldn't have happened, right?

Your sense of scale is completely off in the air, nice legal if minimum separations can look like you're able to touch the other plane. The wingspan of a 747 is 200 feet.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

hobbesmaster posted:

Your sense of scale is completely off in the air, nice legal if minimum separations can look like you're able to touch the other plane. The wingspan of a 747 is 200 feet.

To add to this, I was in the cockpit of a 757 a few years ago and a C-17 passed overhead by 1000 ft, going the opposite direction on the same airway. Until just before he passed out of sight it looked for all the world like we were going to collide; it's really hard to tell how far apart you are given the sizes and speeds involved.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah dude, there isn't a short hand people just come up with. The stuff is straight from the .65 on the method to be written in. This is frightening.

edit: Even if you don't have strips any more you should have to know how to write down/type stuff out. That is atrocious.

What's frightening? He's a pilot and what he posted looks like how many many pilots copy their IFR clearances. I learned it as the CRAFT method:

Clearance
Routing
Altitude
Frequency
Transponder

Look familiar to that image he posted? Pilots don't read the .65 and they shouldn't have to. By the way, they're writing this stuff at the same speed us controllers blurt it out on frequency, on a notepad velcro strapped to their knee. Hence the rushed looking handwriting.

WD40 posted:

Already addressed a few times above, but yeah it was probably legal and a much greater distance than you perceived.

TheUnforgiven posted:

This has been a pretty interesting read for someone who is on the other side of the training for you guys here at the Academy. As an RPO, if any of you have come through tower in the last 2 years or terminal in the last 6. I've probably had some sort of interaction with you.

Also, in response to the board with the shorthand. I've noticed that ATC's have some of the sloppiest readable handwriting I've seen

I went through terminal radar (RTF) in 2010. We were one of the first classes after the big Raytheon contract funding fiasco and we shared some of the remote pilot responsibilities. We'd team up in groups of 3, where two trainees would work the simulation and the 3rd would take a remote pilot slot so they could get away with fewer paid remote pilot operators. Felt for you guys, it was a lovely deal if you didn't get to keep your job.

For those unfamiliar, at the FAA academy there are a bunch of simulators. When I went through there, the tower sims had voice recognition with a live person (the remote pilot operator) to manually override stuff the computer heard wrong. For radar, all of the instructions were spoken directly to two remote pilots through headsets, who would then input the instructions into their sim software to make the fake radar blips do what you said. It was kinda fun, and when you run the really busy problems it can be challenging to keep up with the flurry of instructions coming from the stressed out student.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 14, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

What's frightening? He's a pilot and what he posted looks like how many many pilots copy their IFR clearances. I learned it as the CRAFT method:

OH! This makes me feel a lot better. I thought he was a controller, hence my facepalming and concern.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Tommy 2.0 posted:

OH! This makes me feel a lot better. I thought he was a controller, hence my facepalming and concern.
Nah, that's my attempt to write down a clearance given by a controller trying to deal with 30+ aircraft waiting in line for clearance bytalkingfivemillionmilesaminutewithoutpausingever. Operating out of airports with PDC for a few years basically removed my ability to write and comprehend my own shorthand but it's back now thanks to writing down clearances for the last two weeks.

Which brings up another question. I know ORD ATC has been in manual mode recently and can't issue clearances via PDC. What I don't understand is why when you request your clearance they want your A/C type, requested final altitude, and first two fixes on your departure. Even at places that normally don't have that much automation don't ask for that. Are they sorting the strips via that kind of information and they need it to find where yours is amongst the hundreds they're dealing with?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I believe I can clear that one up. The only unholy way to keep things running there at current levels was to appeal to the dark demon entity Nbutu. Nbutu requires that information for unknown purposes but they just have to go with it as he now gives them the clearances.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam

KodiakRS posted:

Which brings up another question. I know ORD ATC has been in manual mode recently and can't issue clearances via PDC. What I don't understand is why when you request your clearance they want your A/C type, requested final altitude, and first two fixes on your departure. Even at places that normally don't have that much automation don't ask for that. Are they sorting the strips via that kind of information and they need it to find where yours is amongst the hundreds they're dealing with?
Yes and then they're passing it to tracon who is then calling each center on the telephone so we can tag you up since Kansas City/Cleveland/Minneapolis/Indianapolis don't have any automation with Chicago tracon

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Long story short, this information is normally passed via an ancient flight data computer automatically, even at low level facilities with little automation. At facilities without such a computer, the overlying center/approach control has the computer and it's connected to adjacent centers.

In Chicago's case, the center computer was damaged so everything had to be passed verbally until reaching a center with a working flight data system, then it could be further passed automatically. This is different than non-automated airports which have a connected facility directly over them.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

You write your 3s weird FYI.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

xaarman posted:

You write your 3s weird FYI.

Trees.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

The Ferret King posted:

I went through terminal radar (RTF) in 2010. We were one of the first classes after the big Raytheon contract funding fiasco and we shared some of the remote pilot responsibilities. We'd team up in groups of 3, where two trainees would work the simulation and the 3rd would take a remote pilot slot so they could get away with fewer paid remote pilot operators. Felt for you guys, it was a lovely deal if you didn't get to keep your job.

For those unfamiliar, at the FAA academy there are a bunch of simulators. When I went through there, the tower sims had voice recognition with a live person (the remote pilot operator) to manually override stuff the computer heard wrong. For radar, all of the instructions were spoken directly to two remote pilots through headsets, who would then input the instructions into their sim software to make the fake radar blips do what you said. It was kinda fun, and when you run the really busy problems it can be challenging to keep up with the flurry of instructions coming from the stressed out student.

That whole situation sucked for both you guys as students and us as RPOs. There are still days no where they have students in the lab(Just the first couple of days). But thankfully its not like what it was before. Last summer was bad as well with the furlough as we had to train FAA instructors to do our job while we were all furloughed. Way to put salt in the wound.

There are no trees in air traffic.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
niner tree foar

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

niner tree foar

I've actually worked with people that would hold back people's training for not saying "tree" and "fife". I want to kick these people in their reproductive organs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I've actually worked with people that would hold back people's training for not saying "tree" and "fife". I want to kick these people in their reproductive organs.

Speaking of being held back...

Finished my last D sides in late July. Still no r-school. Asked about it in the training department.

"March, at the very earliest."

:suicide:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I work with people who even when off the radios say "tree" when talking about a flight. Also pilots who say nine and five in the same breath then get pissy when you ask them to say again.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

If you are wanting to get hired, get your poo poo together. March.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You getting that from anywhere other than the stuckmic forum?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Whichever goon had to deal with Loot 15 today at AMA, sorry.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Leave North/West Texas alone and come to the Rio Grande Valley.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

xaarman posted:

Whichever goon had to deal with Loot 15 today at AMA, sorry.

I'm off today, so no need to apologize. Sorry if you had to deal with some of our trainees :v:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

You guys were awesome, and very polite. My student... spent the entire 2 hours talking poo poo about himself because of his mistakes which just caused even more mistakes... It was quite disconcerting. We are giving him a few days off to hopefully get some help, and I hopefully never have to deal with something like that again (although I will, but it was never this bad.)

The Ferret King posted:

Leave North/West Texas alone and come to the Rio Grande Valley.

I was there like two years ago for an out n back with the Panther XX callsign. I wanted to be like "say initials" to every controller in the CRP region, but I have no idea what your name is.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 28, 2014

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

xaarman posted:

You guys were awesome, and very polite. My student... spent the entire 2 hours talking poo poo about himself because of his mistakes which just caused even more mistakes...

Good deal, I've heard most of the bases around here have good things to say about us. We try to be better than Lubbock, haha.

We have trainees that do that too, things just compound and get worse. Hope your guy gets it figured out.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Zochness posted:

Good deal, I've heard most of the bases around here have good things to say about us. We try to be better than Lubbock, haha.

We have trainees that do that too, things just compound and get worse. Hope your guy gets it figured out.

Me too, it was compounded by exterior factors. He's been pulled off the schedule for a bit to take care of some personal business.

Moving onto a better topic:

I hate hate hate Lubbock. Garbage airport, terrible ramp, terrible vehicles, etc. 90% of the time I will redirect my studs to full stop at AMA rather than LBB.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

You getting that from anywhere other than the stuckmic forum?

No, training manager at my fac.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
FAA released the report on using biodata to select controllers (PDF).

quote:

No relationship was found in this study between overall HS GPA, educational degree achieved, or being a CTI graduate and training status.

So now when they tell you they're better qualified for the job than anyone else because of *REASONS*, you can laugh in their face with actual data.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

So now when they tell you they're better qualified for the job than anyone else because of *REASONS*, you can laugh in their face with actual data.

Report should really be subtitled, "To the Surprise of Absolutely No One: Using Biodata to Select Air Traffic Controllers."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

fknlo posted:

You're being disingenuous with your quote and not properly representing the data. No correlation was found, but this study is based on people who passed the bio-q, not everyone who applied. And they raised a question in their conclusion stating that further research is needed to evaluate CTI programs-

quote:

CTI Graduates. Additional research is needed to understand the relationship between being a CTI graduate and training status. A question is whether graduates from some CTI schools are more likely to succeed in training than graduates from other CTI schools. Are programmatic differences among the schools obscuring the relationship between having a CTI degree and success in ATC training? We recommend that a follow-on to this study be conducted in which differences among CTI programs be examined in relationship to ATC training success.

Either way, the largest issue raised by the CTI schools is that the bio-q is bullshit and removes completely viable applicants from being considered for a position. The study actually agrees with this:

quote:

Based on an analysis of the relationship between selected biodata items and training success, we conclude that the evidence for using these biodata items for controller selection is weak.

quote:

We concluded that, after screening applicants based on age and selecting only those who passed the AT-SAT test battery, the biodata items assessed did little to improve our ability to select the applicants most likely to reach CPC.

Not sure what other CTI schools have been saying to their students, but the head of our ATC program has made it very clear multiple times that completing the program does not guarantee you any job within the industry. He's fighting the recent changes because the bio-q is a complete load, and individuals should be considered for a position based on their actual ability and not how many sports they played in high school.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 6, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was surprised to see how much the ATSAT scores predicted certification success. Mostly because I did horribly on the ATSAT.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hi, how do they schedule all the planes and stuff for major international airports. There seems like there's a lot of planes, and there are quite a few different airlines and how do they all agree on whose plane gets to get there when and whatever?

Are there regularly scheduled planes like trains have a train that leaves every day at such and such time or something like that? How far into the future do they do the scheduling? I've never bought a plane ticket more than a few months or so ahead of time, but I've never tried buying one, say, a year or more in advance.

It sounds really complicated because there's so many dang planes and there's so many airports.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hi, how do they schedule all the planes and stuff for major international airports. There seems like there's a lot of planes, and there are quite a few different airlines and how do they all agree on whose plane gets to get there when and whatever?

Are there regularly scheduled planes like trains have a train that leaves every day at such and such time or something like that? How far into the future do they do the scheduling? I've never bought a plane ticket more than a few months or so ahead of time, but I've never tried buying one, say, a year or more in advance.

It sounds really complicated because there's so many dang planes and there's so many airports.

For a lot of international flights, you call your arrival airport when you're still on the ground at your departure airport and get an arrival slot. Because your flight is long, it's possible to have kind of a lot of leeway in your arrival time. Also, unlike rail travel, it's possible to just wait outside the airport for a little bit if necessary. And yes, regular flights are booked in blocks by the airlines and are handled by airports in the normal way. The airlines don't talk to each other about it at all. It's all up to the airport to ensure fair and even service to all clients.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Most airlines that I know of schedule 3-6 months in advace, and run close to the same schedule every day. Certain days of the week are usually a lighter schedule (Saturday), and holidays cause the schedule to be altered. But generally speaking Goonflight#1234 will always be between the same cities at the same scheduled time day after day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Most airlines that I know of schedule 3-6 months in advace, and run close to the same schedule every day. Certain days of the week are usually a lighter schedule (Saturday), and holidays cause the schedule to be altered. But generally speaking Goonflight#1234 will always be between the same cities at the same scheduled time day after day.

If you dig on an airline's website you should be able to the schedule somewhere in giant pdf form.

Somewhat useful if you're trying to figure out why you're not being given certain options or 22 hour layovers or something.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tommy 2.0 posted:

If you are wanting to get hired, get your poo poo together. March.

Meaning another off-the-street hiring on usajobs.gov? This will be my last chance before I turn 31 in 2016 :ohdear:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Probably, unless things are changed before then (doubtful). ~Sources~ say they're going to change the bio-q so people can't cheat with the ones people who passed provided and to get a larger pool of people.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Bramble posted:

Meaning another off-the-street hiring on usajobs.gov? This will be my last chance before I turn 31 in 2016 :ohdear:

Yup.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Signed all the paperwork and did the fingerprints. I should be starting my internship at the local enroute center Monday or so. Huzzah.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Seattle/Auburn.