Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Bippie Mishap posted:

Burlnton NJ and yeah totally forgot about Mischief Night.

Hey that's where I'm from too :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MistahBread
Feb 23, 2007
Yes Sah!
Whatever person/algorithm picks the stills for Netflix is drunk.

edit: oops, tables.

TriggerHappyMarie
Sep 15, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Central Indiana is host to the General American Accent. We don't have any defining features in our vocabulary either. The quiz has no loving idea where to put us because we're an anomaly.

I'm from central Indiana and I got put in a few corn-belt states, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Northern Texas. My boyfriend is from Northern Kentucky and he got put in the southwest, Nevada and Southern California. He answered two questions differently from me. Dude doesn't know what a crawdad is. Has to be all hoity-toity and say crayfish. In any case, Crossroads of America!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Apparently I'd be right at home if I hopped on a flight to Alaska.. I'd probably love to if it weren't for the high cost of living, too

For content, have a refugee from the random imgur thread

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

Central Indiana is host to the General American Accent. We don't have any defining features in our vocabulary either. The quiz has no loving idea where to put us because we're an anomaly.

:colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Having spent some time there, I've met more than one person who thinks "poo poo" and "Creek" rhyme somehow.

theflyingorc posted:

what the hell, west coast

Thinner slices make it more easily spreadable without tearing up your bread.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

theflyingorc posted:

what the hell, west coast

Trader Joe's brand butter comes in the west coast shape.

Also, the night before Halloween is inexplicably Cabbage Night where I grew up.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
drat

Everyone says I have an accent they can't place. Guess no one can

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Met posted:

Having spent some time there, I've met more than one person who thinks "poo poo" and "Creek" rhyme somehow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Here is a funny picture.

What the gently caress, America? What even are those words? Kitty wampus? I assume someone at the NYT is taking the piss with these.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Memento posted:

Here is a funny picture.

What the gently caress, America? What even are those words? Kitty wampus? I assume someone at the NYT is taking the piss with these.

Kitty-corner and kitty-wampus and all those are definitely real, but peenie wallie? Really?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Kitty-corner and kitty-wampus and all those are definitely real, but peenie wallie? Really?

I googled it and one of the links was to some results of the same survey done at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Peenie wallie is a) a Jamaican patois term and b) chosen in 0.02% of surveys. So, 1 in 5000 people.

Also, I'm going to WTF with the ones about the diagonal corner as well. Diagonal is a word, that is used, and in that context can't mean anything else. I get that you could call a roundabout a traffic circle, or a rotary, but why make poo poo up that means nothing?

Anyways, here's a link to the complete survey results which is a ton more questions than the NYT had up: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Lotish posted:

People say "crayon" as one syllable? :psyduck:

I say it "cran". Rhymes with plan or van.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Peenie wallie is apparently Jamaican patois. It must be an extremely localized term.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

I would like to avoid going where I can get attacked by a "mountain screamer."

I dated a mountain screamer when I lived in Colorado.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Frostwerks posted:

I dated a mountain screamer when I lived in Colorado.

Stop mountin' screamers.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

I googled it and one of the links was to some results of the same survey done at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Peenie wallie is a) a Jamaican patois term and b) chosen in 0.02% of surveys. So, 1 in 5000 people.

Also, I'm going to WTF with the ones about the diagonal corner as well. Diagonal is a word, that is used, and in that context can't mean anything else. I get that you could call a roundabout a traffic circle, or a rotary, but why make poo poo up that means nothing?

Anyways, here's a link to the complete survey results which is a ton more questions than the NYT had up: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

It's not that someone just made poo poo up, its that what it meant isn't really used anymore. Words often have origins that get lost or no longer make sense in modern contexts, it's just the nature of language.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Here is a funny picture.

I have heard kitty wampus used by family. No, I don't understand it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RandomFerret posted:

It doesn't include Canada, but it guessed either Buffalo, NY or Vancouver, OR, which pretty much covers the span.

They should add in a learning algorithm like Akinator so eventually it'll be able to pinpoint the town in Mumbai you grew up in by how differently you pronounce 'keef halak' and 'keef halek.'

I had a friend whose parents were from India but he was born in the US take the quiz. It had no clue where to put him. It just triangulated the whole drat country.

Meanwhile, I'm from SE Michigan, and can confirm Devil's Night. It's funny, the region map for when you answer that question that way shows SE Michigan, and like, some dude in the middle of Pennsylvania.

Also finally, we say Kitty-Corner for something diagonal across an intersection around here. It's one of those cutesy words you use when you're a kid and then just stop using because you don't have anything better and people know what you mean when you say it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Memento posted:

I live in a place where "kitty-corner" means diagonal.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My dad said catty(not kitty)-wampus all the time and so do I. I've never been asked what it means.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've heard catty-wampus before, but used to mean "disorganized" as in "the room was all catty-wampus." I've never heard of it meaning diagonal, but I do say kitty-corner sometimes.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Trader Joe's brand butter comes in the west coast shape.

Also, the night before Halloween is inexplicably Cabbage Night where I grew up.

Burlington?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Frostwerks posted:

Burlington?

Vermont? No, Newport, RI. Is it all over New England?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've always heard it being Vermont almost exclusively and I was just betting Burlington since it's the biggest city in the state.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I grew up in North Kingstown RI and it didnt even have a name.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Sex Hobbit posted:

I've heard catty-wampus before, but used to mean "disorganized" as in "the room was all catty-wampus." I've never heard of it meaning diagonal, but I do say kitty-corner sometimes.

Same here w/ catty-wampus. It's catty-corner though. :colbert:

e: Catty-wampus is as Sex Hobbit says above. Diagonally across a street corner is catty-corner. :colbert: Everything else is just...weird.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Am I the only one mocking the other choices as if they're wrong? :ohdear:
My results are good:
CONFIRMED WHITE GUY

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Those tests are never correct for Oregon. Science apparently has no clue how we talk here.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Who gives a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How come youse drug my trolley to the popshop catwise from the carryout?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What happened to the funny pictures??

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Does anyone have that pic of the Japanese americaphile? I think the name was Tex Kobiyashi.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Those tests are never correct for Oregon. Science apparently has no clue how we talk here.

Call-flower.
Colorin' kran.
Caddy-wampus.
Crawdude.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

My dad said catty(not kitty)-wampus all the time and so do I. I've never been asked what it means.

I've always heard it a katty-wampus too. Kitty-corner is also familiar.

As I've now officially lived more than half of my life in Wisconsin, it was neat to see it place me as being from there. :3: I was expecting it to have trouble since I spent my first thirteen years in four different US states and a stint in Germany.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

More funny pictures

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

JPrime posted:

Same here w/ catty-wampus. It's catty-corner though. :colbert:

e: Catty-wampus is as Sex Hobbit says above. Diagonally across a street corner is catty-corner. :colbert: Everything else is just...weird.

Same.

Memento posted:

I get that you could call a roundabout a traffic circle, or a rotary, but why make poo poo up that means nothing?

Those are all different things: a roundabout features horizontal deflection and some outer curb work, a traffic circle is a circle plopped in the middle of an intersection, and a rotary intersection is a very large circular intersection.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Does anyone have that pic of the Japanese americaphile? I think the name was Tex Kobiyashi.

Rawhide, not Tex :)

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Same.

Those are all different things: a roundabout features horizontal deflection and some outer curb work, a traffic circle is a circle plopped in the middle of an intersection, and a rotary intersection is a very large circular intersection.

That sure is a hilarious picture of an intersection, but I've got a few that I'd say have it beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

• Locked thread