Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also 1) that was like 50 years ago 2) it was a REALLY lovely Santa. Like, just some drunk kid in an ill-fitting and soiled santa suit.

This somehow reminds me of the Japanese fans who once stole a statue of Col Sanders from a KFC and threw it in a river. You see, there was a tradition that in the home town of the team fans who looked like the players on the team would jump into a local river off a bridge every time the team won. Now this was fine until one year there was a problem, you see they had a player who was a white guy! They couldn't find a whitey to jump into the river so they instead stole the KFC statue a threw it in instead.

Then legend has that Col Sanders cursed their team to never again win a championship until they removed him from the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I would watch that anime.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone should make a PYF of ludicrous sports traditions, curses and legends because I love poo poo like that and it would be super-cool to hear about esoteric beliefs that other countries have about their national pastimes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pierson posted:

Someone should make a PYF of ludicrous sports traditions, curses and legends because I love poo poo like that and it would be super-cool to hear about esoteric beliefs that other countries have about their national pastimes.

Hang on a sec, I'll track down someone with the ability to start threads.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also 1) that was like 50 years ago 2) it was a REALLY lovely Santa. Like, just some drunk kid in an ill-fitting and soiled santa suit.

Well now that I know they were throwing batteries at an intoxicated child it's ok.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Volume posted:

Well now that I know they were throwing batteries at an intoxicated child it's ok.

The Eagles are literally the only team in the NFL with a statistically demonstrable home field disadvantage. That is how terrible Eagles fans are.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Always bet on gay skeleton.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Do straight skeletons even exist?

pippy posted:

They do but they're in the closet.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Context: OP of the A/T about prison life asked people to send stuff to one of his prison bros to help them pass the time so a GiP offered to send a homemade book of dick drawings. GiP knows how large groups of cloistered, frustrated, incredibly bored men keep themselves entertained, and know that he'll love it and be sticking it in his fiends faces and showing it off to the guards and talk someone into getting a tattoo of one and it'll be the funniest drat thing they've seen all week.

So add that to the list of Goon Success Stories!

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Chichevache posted:

The Eagles are literally the only team in the NFL with a statistically demonstrable home field disadvantage. That is how terrible Eagles fans are.

Wait, waaait. You guys haven't been talking about the Eagles the band? This changes everything I just read.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

kdrudy posted:

I like that they appear to have built a ramp to launch themselves directly into Superman's crotch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Countblanc posted:

This thread is so informative, I can't wait until I finally have sex/buy a board game

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chichevache posted:

Do opposing team's benches get booby trapper or something.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Syd Midnight posted:

Context: OP of the A/T about prison life asked people to send stuff to one of his prison bros to help them pass the time so a GiP offered to send a homemade book of dick drawings. GiP knows how large groups of cloistered, frustrated, incredibly bored men keep themselves entertained, and know that he'll love it and be sticking it in his fiends faces and showing it off to the guards and talk someone into getting a tattoo of one and it'll be the funniest drat thing they've seen all week.

Which thread? There's a few prison ones.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Syd Midnight posted:

I thought the GiP dong graffiti book originally got started as a nice respectable coffee table book? A conversation starter, but with dicks?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Rough Lobster posted:

Which thread? There's a few prison ones.

If you click the link in my post it will take you to the correct A/T thread.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Chichevache posted:

I think we love to be hated.

Basically, though, other than throwing snowballs at that Santa, a lot of the other problems were in the 90s. The batteries thing I think were like C or D cells being thrown at a baseball player. It got to the point where the old baseball/football stadium had a jail and a judge and court set up on game days just to deal with Philly fans.

We aren't all that bad I swear.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phrasing posted:

I survived by not being inside the buildings.

:911:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

much has been made of the fact that both goofy and pluto are depicted as dogs, but are treated differently and given different levels of respect and personal agency by the other characters

this is because pluto is a "field friend of the family" and goofy is a "house friend of the family"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

7777777 posted:

(at the bank trying to get my loan re-financed)
Me: Hello Mr. Lebowitz...
Jew: (Snarling, Hissing) RAAAAA!!!
Me: I was wondering about reconfiguring my interest rate..
Jew: (Breathing Fire, Kneading the Ground with it's Talons)
Me: I have some Money here...
Jew: YesSSSsSSSssss..

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ReidRansom posted:

It's got the taste you can't resist.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

You missed this just after:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I could really go for some surprise soda right about now.

Or premeditated pop, if you're from one those places.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hot dogs are best eaten raw on a piece of crumbly stale bread with tap water to wash it down.

Or so I've convinced myself. :smithicide:

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You didn't have to redeem your free Doobie Dog. :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

anchoress posted:

something awful is probably the only place you could make a joke about living in a closet under the stairs and accidentally offend a guy who grew up living in a closet under the stairs

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Harry Potter is a goon?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Machai posted:

Harry Potter is a goon?

This was never in question. He's a slightly-privileged spaz with an ugly, scarred mug and poor hygeine; his only friends are nerds, redheads, and fat kids; he doesn't get along well with more socially-adjusted people; he longs for an Asian waifu; and one of his most memorable activities from the muggle world is browsing the internet on his cousin's computer in secret.

e: content

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Black Flag is the only good Asscreed game. It also is a really good game in general.

Bro Dad posted:

:siren: HOW TO FIX YOUR SETTINGS ON PC: :siren:

Don't buy Unity

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Nov 11, 2014

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Ishamael posted:

mind the walrus posted:

Earthbound? I doubt it. Especially back in the 90s before Youtube made footage easily available and Vidya was still almost the exclusive province of children and nerrrrrrrds who hadn't grown up yet. JRPGs are pretty archaic and unintuitive, Earthbound doesn't really get going until like Threed, and a lot of the charm comes from talking to every single NPC you can find, so something tells me Shultz wouldn't have had the patience to actually play it.
Sadly lamenting the fact that Charles Schultz, author of Peanuts, who was born in 1922, wouldn't have had the patience to play a series of obscure japanese video games, is one of the weirdest goddamn things I have ever heard.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

zimboe posted:

SS Africa is not really horrible- that's the way humans have lived for most of our existence.
It is only in contrast with prosperous cultures that it seems so.

Miserable, cold, sick, perpetually on the brink of starvation,most of our children dying, always at the risk of predators (of whatever species- including other humans).
Only under such misery does the Hand of Darwin harden and strengthen us.*

Cruel but true.
So go complain to God.

* Therefore prosperity weakens us and will lead to our failure.
Refute my reasoning.

How else do you explain such phenomena as Honey Boo-Boo? There's a genetic cull candidate for you.
Give it twenty centuries after Western culture has withered and died, and Africans will be the new improved Man: producing the New Human Renaissance. They will go to the stars.

Darwin never lies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Classic zimboe

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Who is Amanda Palmer?

The kind of girl who marries Neil Gaiman, that's who

mysterious frankie posted:

If you own more than three Legendary Pink Dots albums on vinyl (and just from looking at him I assume he does) then a person with borderline personality disorder basically has a magnet in their genitals that will drag you kicking and screaming out of any healthy living arrangement and right into the car parked under a bridge that they've been hunkered down in.

spooky girlfriend posted:

lol wow. I can see this happening though, because Neil Gaiman is a goth and goths have poo poo taste in everything.

mookface posted:

Yeah that's the thing about goths they can be nice and cool intelligent people that somehow manage to find a way to be retarded in a lot of ways

Twitch posted:

I hate to get solipsistic, but I'm pretty sure Amanda Palmer has never actually recorded any music, and Dresden Dolls is just a fake band that teenagers say they listen to so they can sound arty.

Harime Nui posted:

She gave a TED talk about how she was a literal couch surfing mooch but it was an enriching experience to eat out of the fridge of some poor Mexican people for real

ElGroucho posted:

I've been a poor Mexican boy

Let me tell you, the rooms may suck, the cars won't start, the dogs are sick and the heat doesn't work

But goddamnit, that fridge is full

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jombo posted:

I was reminded of this by the flying barbie into fireplace gif so...

This is pre-everyone having a camera phone schadenfreude so imagination is required.

One year back in the 80's this was the tickle-me-elmo of toys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJa6eUpxNyM

and all us 6 year olds were cracking wood everytime the ad came on tv during tmnt or some poo poo.

Anyway one of my good friends has a birthday the day after mine, and at his party he gets a TYPHOON! the most kickingest raddest piece of awesome the 1980s has to offer. Being quite poor myself I'd received socks or some poo poo for my birthday the day before and I must admit I was more than a little jealous.

Being the cutting edge of technology in an amazing age where calculator watches were replacing C64s as the shining example of human technological prowess the TYPHOON! came with rechargeable batteries instead of those old disposable D cells used by stoneage remote controlled vehicles. So the TYPHOON! goes straight from box to the charger while everyone dances around giddy with excitement about the torrent of fun about to be unleashed. After everyone couldn't hold it in any longer (probably 10 mins) the birthday boy rips the TYPHOON! from the charger and we all run straight to the best and only place to test out a toy as amazing as the TYPHOON! - the closest dam (we were on a farm you see). The birthday boy starts up the amazing machine and it really works! just like on the commercial! So straight out onto the water it goes, tearing around like a jesus boat walking on water, straight to the furthest part from the shore... when we start to hear the little electric motors spluttering - no longer did that nice high pitched whirr emanate from the fans. The astounding impatience we had displayed made us unworthy of the machine, and great forces were about to punish us for our hubris. Befitting its name and reputation the TYPHOON! appeared to put up a valiant struggle against the murky brown water as everyone on the shore stared on in silence, but after around 15 seconds and the last of the air leaking from it's skirt the machine disappeared below the surface along with its dead flat battery, as if it was just too perfect and not meant for this world. 30 seconds to bathe in its glow from start to finish were all we were afforded.

Amazingly my jealousy was gone - completely replaced by the sadness the this beautiful machine was gone, probably the only one for hundreds of kilometres in any direction, and never to brighten up this forgotten and neglected part of the Australian outback ever again.

Of course immediate petition was made to the adults in the area - surely something could be done. But the metre thick, sticky mud all around the dam made it a veritable death trap. The remainder of the party was merely the slow realisation over several hours that the TYPHOON! was really gone... but had we ever really had it? Were we delusional and only hallucinated the events due to overwhelming marketing and sugary food? No, the empty box and charger remained - as a physical reminder of the disaster that had just happened.

5 months later it was the height of summer, and the dam in question dried enough for the machine to be recovered. It was a shell of it's former self, as if all the fun and 80's style kickin' rad had vanished - leaving behind only a mud crusted piece of plastic. :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The next page or two is full of goons who insist theirs floated and that he's lying.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

For posterity

TheModernAmerican posted:

Yes he turns out ok and it's literally the most unrealistic thing that happens in a series where a tree eats a flying broom.

If y'all want I can detail how similar my rearing was with Harry's and then regale you with tales of how I was incapable of talking with strangers until I was 14.

And thanks for getting super pedantic about how much time he spends in a closet. Guess how much loving time a 10 year old should spend locked in a closet because it's way less than you loving thing you giant mother loving piece of human garbage how are you not loving banned for the poo poo you're pulling here because that's loving twice now you've made break down crying you pile of poo poo you should be ashamed of yourself.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Something Sensitive poster shows up in QCS; Big Anime Fan Here weighs in with his usual perspicacity:

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

No dude, I don't get The New York Times. I get a smaller, more unbiased paper. It's called "The New York Times Are loving Fags" and it covers all the same issues but also has stories about how Dean Baquet takes huge diarrhea dumps from ethnic food and they smell so bad that his wife goes to a friends house. You could say it's got more journalistic integrity, I suppose.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shwqa posted:

In the middle of a fight with your partner? Just belittle them! If they roll over and take it, then marry them!

Karma Monkey posted:

Geesh, first the poo poo derail and now a lovely attitude. Lighten up, man.

Evilreaver posted:

*Hands you a cape* Now you're super mad!! :yayclod:

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Context not necessary:

Daedra posted:

without mexico i would have never seen a video of a man beheaded with a chainsaw

client
Aug 19, 2010

pentyne posted:

For posterity

I really appreciate how this website is home to the most owned people on the planet

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

client posted:

I really appreciate how this website is home to the most owned people on the planet

Slaves?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Good joke there dick dorkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

For posterity

Because I honestly can't tell who is serious on these forums any more, is that dude honestly having a meltdown because someone said Harry Potter turned out ok even though he was abused? Or is it one of those ironic things to make fun of adults who read Harry Potter books in the first place?

• Locked thread