Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

grilldos posted:

Rixty Minutes, really.

This is probably my favorite episode of the show. I feel like it captures the raw, crazy energy the series is capable of, as well as the ability to tell a fairly grounded drama, but gently caress me is it polarizing. People oddly enough, acted the same way when that episode came on. Like, aggressively mad that such a thing could exist in this world, with almost the same exact responses.

Wonder if they were the same people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, I would say that I enjoyed Rixty Minutes but I would also say that it wasn't my favourite episode and it is the one that I watch the least when re-watching the season. For me it's because nothing is really happening, there's no adventure happening and after awhile the tv jokes just aren't that funny anymore or the improvising is a little too obvious. I like me some good improv like when they did Ants-in-my-eyes Johnson, or Gazorpazorpfield but then we got poo poo like Two Brothers, sure it's kinda funny the first you hear it but after you know it it's just cringing to listen to. But whatever, humour is subjective

Speaking of that Too Many Cooks thing, I only kept watching because someone said Squanchy appeared a few other times. Hell hearing that Squanchy was making an appearance was pretty much the only reason I watched the thing in the first place and my reaction wasn't too different from Rick's when they watch the soap opera from the dimension where all proper nouns start with "shm"; it got old REAL fast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pretty much like I said. If you're not a fan of Rixty Minutes, there's a high chance you won't dig Too Many Cooks.

It has that feel of spontaneous creativity. Regardless if you like it or not, that thing had a ton of work put into it. And the little touches is what makes it. Same thing with Rixty Minutes. I love that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

no dude, for real.

like I read that poo poo and you remind me of the teenage girl from 1981 who coined the first joke ending in not. you got skills

NOT!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Rixty Minutes is my favorite episode and I loved Too Many Cooks. I also enjoy the Eric Andre Show so I'm pretty sure I'm a terrible person who doesn't understand comedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You are a good person, and cool.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

moths posted:

Remember the 90s? References are jokes now!

The 80s moths, not the 90s, the 80s.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Pretty much like I said. If you're not a fan of Rixty Minutes, there's a high chance you won't dig Too Many Cooks.

It has that feel of spontaneous creativity. Regardless if you like it or not, that thing had a ton of work put into it. And the little touches is what makes it. Same thing with Rixty Minutes. I love that.
I loved the heck out of Rixty Minutes, but found it very hard to appreciate Too Many Cooks.

So... there you go.

Sketches in Rixty Minutes were quick and to the point. Too Many Cooks had as much content (stuff I found funny) as one or two Rixty Minutes sketches. It was too long. I can appreciate the attempt though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I liked the idea of Too Many Cooks, I just found the execution (:rimshot:) dull.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

CelticPredator posted:

I loved Rixty Minutes, hell I like the Eric Andre show a great deal, but Too Many Cooks...like it's clever but I don't think it's really funny, and I'm not even sure if it's meant to be funny overall.

No part of your second statement means something should be good or even deserving of respect. Too Many Cooks does deserve props though, but honestly it reminded me a lot of a student film, and sorta comes off, and this might be true and a meta-joke, like there were too many people (cooks) involved with this thing's creative process causing it to suffer a bit. I can't really say why it seems that way, it's just a feeling I got about it.

The only bits that actually made me laugh were the cast going around the table and the camera panning around it 1 1/2 to 2 times without repeating people and the doctor catching the Introitis or whatever they called the disease. The coat and pie were random, and like a lot of the rest of it, something I would've laughed at if I was high, but they were still random. The rest was just sort of clever to watch and the humor was often used as an anti-joke, or at least was stuff Family Guy has already overused like the references and the repeated/overlong bits, e.g. the falcon, and Wonder Woman spoof.

I guess I think it's good for what it is, but I don't think it's very funny.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Brightman posted:

I loved Rixty Minutes, hell I like the Eric Andre show a great deal, but Too Many Cooks...like it's clever but I don't think it's really funny, and I'm not even sure if it's meant to be funny overall.

No part of your second statement means something should be good or even deserving of respect. Too Many Cooks does deserve props though, but honestly it reminded me a lot of a student film, and sorta comes off, and this might be true and a meta-joke, like there were too many people (cooks) involved with this thing's creative process causing it to suffer a bit. I can't really say why it seems that way, it's just a feeling I got about it.

The only bits that actually made me laugh were the cast going around the table and the camera panning around it 1 1/2 to 2 times without repeating people and the doctor catching the Introitis or whatever they called the disease. The coat and pie were random, and like a lot of the rest of it, something I would've laughed at if I was high, but they were still random. The rest was just sort of clever to watch and the humor was often used as an anti-joke, or at least was stuff Family Guy has already overused like the references and the repeated/overlong bits, e.g. the falcon, and Wonder Woman spoof.

I guess I think it's good for what it is, but I don't think it's very funny.

I think something is lost in seeing it on the internet, too. It originally aired unannounced at 4 AM so part of the humor for me was imagining the handful of people watching at that hour, wasted out of their minds, trying to figure out if what they were seeing was real or not.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah a lot of Adult Swim stuff has the meta joke of "haha, a major company let someone spend resources to make this, and air this, on actual television".

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Can we all just be clear that the pie is Lars von Trier and not just "some guy", thank you

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can understand not finding it funny, but if you can't appreciate the work put into it, I don't know what to tell you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

Can we all just be clear that the pie is Lars von Trier and not just "some guy", thank you

Right, it's a pie that makes movies I just can't get into.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CelticPredator posted:

I can understand not finding it funny, but if you can't appreciate the work put into it, I don't know what to tell you.

No one is complaining about the production values. People are complaining because it's not really funny.

Why are you so personally affronted?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Shmloo Many Shmlooks is interdimensional television and I am Rick, sitting on this couchthread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBw10VUcNQ

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Too Many Cooks" seemed like a remake of Rejected by Don Hertzfeldt, just taking on TV shows instead of commercials. I enjoyed it, even if it felt kind of derivative.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
It wasn't high art but the ten minutes I spent watching Too Many Cooks were far more enjoyable than the ten minutes I've spent reading complaints about Too Many Cooks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waltzing Along posted:

No one is complaining about the production values. People are complaining because it's not really funny.

Why are you so personally affronted?

Oh, I'm not. I just think you guys complaining are being really lovely about a 10 minute video. Like you're being aggressively angry that such a thing could exist, and people like it. You didn't get it. That's fine. You're not dumber or anything, and it's not like there's some secret you have to learn to laugh at it.

There's nothing to get angry about.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Or they do get it and just don't think it's funny. That's allowed too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Or they do get it and just don't think it's funny. That's allowed too.

Perfectly allowed, but there's a difference between "I don't think it's funny" and "it can't be funny because jokes being repeated 10x is dumb monkey cheese that can't be funny". Former's an opinion, the latter's an open door to a dumb two page argument.

I showed it to my girlfriend knowing she wouldn't really think it's that funny, just to get the song stuck in her head. It worked. I'm a bad person.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh, I'm not. I just think you guys complaining are being really lovely about a 10 minute video. Like you're being aggressively angry that such a thing could exist, and people like it. You didn't get it. That's fine. You're not dumber or anything, and it's not like there's some secret you have to learn to laugh at it.

There's nothing to get angry about.

While this does not apply to Too Many Cooks, something having a lot of work put into it doesn't mean it should be considered good or deserve respect. It's quantity over quality, not a great argument, especially not for something derisive like TMC. I'd think of a counter-example, like x movie that everyone hates clearly had a lot of work put into it, but I'm lazy and there's a chance someone would defend whatever I picked anyway leading to further arguments.

Honestly if someone thinks TMC is legitimately awful, like the worst thing, then I could see them being angry that it exists because so much work was put into it. That effort could have been used on something else that might've been good in their opinion. I don't think anyone here is really thinking this, well maybe moths.

Anyway the cat puppet thing was credited as Smarf, so it's not Squanchy, and this is all off topic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Brightman posted:

Anyway the cat puppet thing was credited as Smarf, so it's not Squanchy, and this is all off topic.

This is why I was initially upset. Someone linked the video under false pretenses. I was looking for Squanchy. Then after about 90 seconds I was like, this is stupid as gently caress..where is Squanchy. Then I found him and it wasn't him and I was like...loving bastard wasted my time.

Then I went back to rewatch the video because so many people were hoovering it and found it to be a waste of time again. Yes I could see the humor. Yes a couple bits were amusing. But it was one note that went on way too long.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Saying Too Many Cooks is one joke is like saying The Beatles were one note because they wrote a bunch of songs about love. You can approach a subject from different angles and it's not the video's fault you don't understand nuance.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Make it too many poops and I'd be laughing all over the place, making little poops in my pants.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
To those who were asking about season 2, I didn't follow VB but it's already confirmed and being worked on, they even have animatics from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Q253vh_V0

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 11, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pretty sure they put on the FB that new episodes are coming next summer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How many episodes are we talking? If they've got voice work and animatics done (that clip is from July) there shouldn't be too much left to do right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

Saying Too Many Cooks is one joke is like saying The Beatles were one note because they wrote a bunch of songs about love. You can approach a subject from different angles and it's not the video's fault you don't understand nuance.

I agree, Too Many Cooks is just like the Beatles; overrated and uninteresting.

:troll:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dan Harmon seems like he knows how to produce a TV show on-time, as he's done it for a real network before. I'd be surprised if Rick and Morty went all Venture Brothers and started blowing deadlines.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I sort of enjoy this broader discussion on humour, but at this point I would say... Too Many Cooks can spoil the thread.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Paladinus posted:

I sort of enjoy this broader discussion on humour, but at this point I would say... Too Many Cooks can spoil the thread.

At least it produced something funny. Finally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That loving song is going to be stuck in my head until I die.

I think the video really did give me intronitis. :ohdear:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsWDwRmIHbc

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I liked Too Many Cooks. I mean, it's not my favorite thing in the world, but it made me laugh more than a few times. And, I think it's a bit more clever than some folks are saying, although it's not terribly clever, like some of the Internet fans of it are suggesting.

I wouldn't expect a series of these; it looks like a one-off.

So, with that out of the way...

... thanks for posting the animatic. They cut stuff like that out on the official Adult Swim Comic Con videos. That one was great, and I can't wait for season 2.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So Dan Harmon wrote "Monster House" Is it any good? Or more of a standard kids movie?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

no dude, for real.

like I read that poo poo and you remind me of the teenage girl from 1981 who coined the first joke ending in not. you got skills

moths posted:

Adult Swim breeds pissy defensive weirdos. I know this now.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Dr_Amazing posted:

So Dan Harmon wrote "Monster House" Is it any good? Or more of a standard kids movie?

WHy not hear about it from the man himself: http://kellyoxford.tumblr.com/post/479774445/my-story-about-the-film-monster-house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My favorite part is when in true Harmonian-fashion, Dan takes a moment during his letter to a child to call the director and producer (Steven Spielberg) hacks and morons, respectively.

• Locked thread