Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Skinty McEdger posted:

It turns out calling people idiots ends up making them less likely to try new things.
what if I just call them stubborn? I fell right into NJPW and all it took was a couple shows to figure out which guy was which. The idea that stories evolve in ring isn't even that, basically people just develop rivalries and factions form around them sometimes. Other than that, people just start to compete over titles, unless you're a random opener like akebono.

Bullet Club is just a stable of try-hard foreigners who make a bunch of DX and NWO references. The NWA shows up sometimes with Bruce Tharpedesu because they want to be relevant. Chaos and Suzuki Gun aren't very active outside of occasionally having multi man tag matches. I don't even remember if Blue Army even exists anymore

Everything else is a built rivalry through multiple matches over time, and most promos are built around their personality clashes instead of some strange reason to fight like spilling coffee or a paid fake actor who was fake pregnant with a phenomenal baby.

Watch NJPW for the best wrestling in the world. Enjoy it like you would a summer blockbuster and don't think too much about it. Let yourself get taken in and gasp and cheer for nearfalls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

yea ok posted:

Thank god i'm not a 6 year old
wow u really fooled me there good one all this time u were pretending to be a labotomy patient

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

wow u really fooled me there good one all this time u were pretending to be a labotomy patient

Your rear end hurt.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Seriously NJPW is the best, and no one really cares how you watch it or what commentary you listen to. It'll probably be the best show of the year, and if the language barrier or timing have been things that have held you back GFW have come through for you.

Please enjoy good wrestling.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Skinty McEdger posted:

no one really cares how you watch it or what commentary you listen to

yea they do

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Flameingblack posted:

The NWA shows up sometimes with Bruce Tharpedesu because they want to be relevant.

I love the NWA because they are so pro-USA but that makes them heels in Japan. I miss Rob Conway coming out in his US flag gear.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I will be watching this with the arch racist Jim Ross's commentary turned on. I hope your are shaking with rage that I will disgrace a product from glorious Nippon in this way. If they can somehow trick Jesse Ventura into doing it, I can even turn off the picture because there is nothing that would own as much as those 2.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

triplexpac posted:

I love the NWA because they are so pro-USA but that makes them heels in Japan. I miss Rob Conway coming out in his US flag gear.

Good news, Conway and Dane are tagging up in the tag world gp so theres going to be a ton of opportunities to see Conway rocking the US Flag look.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Seriously NJPW is the best, and no one really cares how you watch it or what commentary you listen to. It'll probably be the best show of the year, and if the language barrier or timing have been things that have held you back GFW have come through for you.

Please enjoy good wrestling.

Yeah, I'll be listening to the Japanese feed since I don't have cable, but I was impressed with JR's interview with Dave and Bryan and think he can do a good job with it.

Also, if anyone is trying to get into the product as is but is having trouble because they can't understand the promos, Yottsume's been putting up translations from recent shows on his website.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

neonbregna posted:

I will be watching this with the arch racist Jim Ross's commentary turned on. I hope your are shaking with rage that I will disgrace a product from glorious Nippon in this way. If they can somehow trick Jesse Ventura into doing it, I can even turn off the picture because there is nothing that would own as much as those 2.
I was talking about the people who continuously say they refuse to watch njpw because they need commentary to explain why people are fighting instead of just watching the fighting. I'll watch it with Ross and if it's not distracting I'll keep watching it with Ross. I just don't want distracting commentary (Which sometimes Ross's end of WWE soundbyte type commentary was)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Flameingblack posted:

I was talking about the people who continuously say they refuse to watch njpw because they need commentary to explain why people are fighting instead of just watching the fighting.

Well I do get their point of view in a way. If you were to watch WWE without commentary you'd be bored stiff, because the in-ring action generally isn't good enough to carry the show. We need to know why Adam Rose is angry with the Bunny to make his match worth a drat.

So it's a weird concept to watch something like NJPW, where you can enjoy two guys beating the crap out of each other without knowing their entire backstory.

Granted, the backstory helps NJPW just like it helps UFC or any sport really. The narrative makes the matches mean something. But the action is good enough in NJPW to stand on it's own, unlike most major American wrestling.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
i think most major american wrestling is very good on the big shows and most new japan wrestling is pretty mediocre on the "road to..." shows. WWE probably delivers more good matches on their free TV than NJPW delivers on their minor shows (granted not a fair comparison because WWE has to make good TV, not just get people into the building and NJPW avoids burning through matches like WWE does)

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 12, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Spermgod posted:

i think most major american wrestling is very good on the big shows and most new japan wrestling is pretty mediocre on the "road to..." shows. WWE probably delivers more good matches on their free TV than NJPW delivers on their minor shows (granted not a fair comparison because WWE has to make good TV, not just get people into the building and NJPW avoids burning through matches like WWE does)
I know different people like different things but I cannot understand why you'd think that. WWE has even slowed down on the good-great matches they were putting out, the last PPV was a stink. Weekly RAW shows are a pain to watch. All I gather is that you hate the slow build-up pace that NJPW has. If you want great matches with fast pace, watch some PWG teasers.

triplexpac posted:

Well I do get their point of view in a way. If you were to watch WWE without commentary you'd be bored stiff, because the in-ring action generally isn't good enough to carry the show. We need to know why Adam Rose is angry with the Bunny to make his match worth a drat.

So it's a weird concept to watch something like NJPW, where you can enjoy two guys beating the crap out of each other without knowing their entire backstory.

Granted, the backstory helps NJPW just like it helps UFC or any sport really. The narrative makes the matches mean something. But the action is good enough in NJPW to stand on it's own, unlike most major American wrestling.
UFC is probably more like NJPW than NJPW is to WWE. WWE is focused on story-telling, while NJPW and UFC are focused on the fights and the rivalries, and those two alone can carry a show. People are no doubt buying Wrestle Kingdom just for how hot the Tanahashi/Okada rivalry has gotten alone.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

UFC is probably more like NJPW than NJPW is to WWE. WWE is focused on story-telling, while NJPW and UFC are focused on the fights and the rivalries, and those two alone can carry a show. People are no doubt buying Wrestle Kingdom just for how hot the Tanahashi/Okada rivalry has gotten alone.

I've watched UFC with first-timers a lot and it's incomprehensible to them when it comes to ground game. "Why aren't they doing anything" is a common complaint (and you see this at their live shows with people chanting 'boring' at times as well) which is where the commentary can help explain what's actually happening.

In all likelihood, a new viewer to NJPW is going to see moves and psychology that they're not used to with a North American product, especially if they only watch WWE and TNA. If this first show doesn't hook them, how likely would they be to order another? You say yourself that it took you a couple shows to get the vibe of the promotion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've watched UFC with first-timers a lot and it's incomprehensible to them when it comes to ground game. "Why aren't they doing anything" is a common complaint (and you see this at their live shows with people chanting 'boring' at times as well) which is where the commentary can help explain what's actually happening.

In all likelihood, a new viewer to NJPW is going to see moves and psychology that they're not used to with a North American product, especially if they only watch WWE and TNA. If this first show doesn't hook them, how likely would they be to order another? You say yourself that it took you a couple shows to get the vibe of the promotion.

Is anyone arguing that english commentary is a bad thing? I'm having a hard time getting a read on what exactly we are debating anymore.

I think the general opinion is that english commentary can be helpful to new viewers, but people shouldn't be spooked of the Japanese shows because it's a different style of product that doesn't need that much explanation. So go with the english commentary if that's what will get your foot in the door, but don't be afraid to check out some of NJPWs other offerings too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Is anyone arguing that english commentary is a bad thing? I'm having a hard time getting a read on what exactly we are debating anymore.

I think the general opinion is that english commentary can be helpful to new viewers, but people shouldn't be spooked of the Japanese shows because it's a different style of product that doesn't need that much explanation. So go with the english commentary if that's what will get your foot in the door, but don't be afraid to check out some of NJPWs other offerings too.

I think that's what sparked the debate - HDH saying that you shouldn't watch NJPW with english commentary and instead watch it ~*the way it was meant to be*~ but who knows anymore.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah that's stupid, watch whatever is most entertaining. Are we going to yell at people for using the spanish commentary for WWE next?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Tonfa posted:

Yeah that's stupid, watch whatever is most entertaining. Are we going to yell at people for using the spanish commentary for WWE next?

Si.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I hear those guys are actually pretty great commentators. I wish I understood Spanish.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Flameingblack posted:

I know different people like different things but I cannot understand why you'd think that. WWE has even slowed down on the good-great matches they were putting out, the last PPV was a stink. Weekly RAW shows are a pain to watch. All I gather is that you hate the slow build-up pace that NJPW has. If you want great matches with fast pace, watch some PWG teasers.

I thought the Ziggler/Cesaro, tag titles, Rusev/Big Show and main event matches on the last PPV were all good to very good. I have absolutely no problem with slow building matches - the only reason I can think you'd think that is I complained that the body of Okada's matches often feel very 'going through the motions'-y to me until they hit the final third of the match, which isn't really about the pacing, more (as best as I can actually put it into words) that they often seem more like guys taking turns to do their poo poo with perfunctory transitions in control and little emphasis on selling, rather than building a story/drama thru long runs of offense, hard-earned transitions and more selling, especially selling while on offense.

The PWG style is kind of the opposite of what I like, lol

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 12, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Flameingback, NJPW fans like you here in PSP and other places being so loving smug about wrestling has literally turned me off of bothering in the past. I've watched NJPW matches and they were great so I'm glad they're there for others to enjoy and I don't doubt the greatness of NJPW but it turns out fans being smug douches can be a deterrent.

Hope this show is a rousing success and a joy to watch for everyone who chooses to. :)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

GFW's WK9 will have middle acts/conclusions to a lot of angles you wouldnt get without the context of previous shows (most especially the main event) so english commentary is good for first-time watchers and a lot of people in general. To say everything will happen in the ring on January 4th is a bit reductive, so please be respectful

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
If Jeff Jarrett managed to piss off the diehard elitists who don't want some dude in a cowboy hat soiling the integrity of their beloved puro, then he truly is the greatest wrestling promoter ever in my view :v:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I want Mongo on color commentary just out of spite now.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

quote:

undertakerlargestfan
1 day ago

Hope GFW gets a Monday Time Slot to compete with Raw while JR is there

quote:

Charley Anti PG TV14 Everything Ranter
19 hours ago

jim ross announcing already makes gfw interesting. its loving a breath of fresh air. Michael cole is the most boriest announcer ever in wrestling and would rather blow john cena then call the loving matches. awesome and gfw looks loving modern where wwe and tna look like there back in dark ages with horrible soap opera writers.

quote:

BALLSupinTHROAT.com
1 day ago

Jeff, make sure you crown your first Global Force Wrestling WORLD CHAMPION on that card. Have AJ Styles compete in that match since he doesn't seem to be the IWGP Heavyweight Champion any longer. Build the legacy of Global Force Wrestling January 4th by crowning the first ever Global Force Wrestling WORLD CHAMPION !!!!!!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I love the implication that Global Force Wrestling is still an actual wrestling promotion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

I love the implication that Global Force Wrestling is still an actual wrestling promotion.

I hope JR calls the IWGP title the "Global Force Wrestling World Heavyweight Championship"

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
lol if jeff jarrett actually gets his thing off the ground and that's another title to be defended on njpw shows tho

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As someone that has wanted to get into NJPW but finds it a bit overwhelming not knowing what is going on outside of this guy is fighting that guy it'll be really nice to have some english commentary to be able to fully appreciate what is going on since everyone talks it up as basically being the best promotion going today. Having it be JR doing the commentary is just a bonus. Also this will probably be the first full NJPW event I'm really looking forward to watching so congrats to double J for at least succeeding on promoting a single show to someone that wouldn't normally go out of their way to watch it.

Even if Global Force continues to just be porting NJPW with english commentary it seems like a really good idea.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
Although, I have no problem with watching a NJPW show in Japanese, it did always seem bush league to not offer any kind of English option, even with a delay. I am excited because I think this could be a gamechanger in the business. I know a lot of people who will talk about wrestling but won't watch it because "Wrestling sucks now." I'm pretty quick to correct them by saying, "No, WWE sucks now. Wrestling has been awesome this year." I think those are the people who this show has a good shot at impressing.

drat it, I just want people to watch good wrestling with other than a subforum in which I'm not over!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

ExplodeYourself posted:

Although, I have no problem with watching a NJPW show in Japanese, it did always seem bush league to not offer any kind of English option, even with a delay.

it's bush league to not cater to an audience outside of your market? :confused:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ExplodeYourself posted:

Although, I have no problem with watching a NJPW show in Japanese, it did always seem bush league to not offer any kind of English option, even with a delay. I am excited because I think this could be a gamechanger in the business. I know a lot of people who will talk about wrestling but won't watch it because "Wrestling sucks now." I'm pretty quick to correct them by saying, "No, WWE sucks now. Wrestling has been awesome this year." I think those are the people who this show has a good shot at impressing.

drat it, I just want people to watch good wrestling with other than a subforum in which I'm not over!

Bush league would be in New Japan cared about the American audience and still didn't offer an English option.

The US makes up less than 5% of their PPV revenue. It's to this point just been getting a little bit of money at no cost.

And really, even now New Japan doesn't care about the US audience, it seems to just be some doofus from Tennessee who showed up and is willing to risk footing the bill that does.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 12, 2014

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006

Spermgod posted:

it's bush league to not cater to an audience outside of your market? :confused:

That's a fair point, but at this point Wrestle Kingdom absolutely deserves to be regarded as a global event. It seems bush league because it seems trivially easy to do, especially since there is absolutely no harm doing it in post considering the time difference. I get taking care of your own market first, but they have gained a pretty decent following mostly by word-of-mouth over here. I don't think they should cater to North America, but I don't think there is any harm in increasing the accessibility of their product in this market. It is pretty cool that they have managed to do so on someone else's dime though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ExplodeYourself posted:

That's a fair point, but at this point Wrestle Kingdom absolutely deserves to be regarded as a global event. It seems bush league because it seems trivially easy to do, especially since there is absolutely no harm doing it in post considering the time difference. I get taking care of your own market first, but they have gained a pretty decent following mostly by word-of-mouth over here. I don't think they should cater to North America, but I don't think there is any harm in increasing the accessibility of their product in this market. It is pretty cool that they have managed to do so on someone else's dime though.

So you think NJPW should have been recording english commentary in post and then airing their shows at a later date? I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Man, it's nice when someone takes the heat off your own dumb opinions with a dumber one.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Man, it's nice when someone takes the heat off your own dumb opinions with a dumber one.

Then why bring attention back to it by posting this

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

ExplodeYourself posted:

I get taking care of your own market first, but they have gained a pretty decent following mostly by word-of-mouth over here. I don't think they should cater to North America, but I don't think there is any harm in increasing the accessibility of their product in this market.
If Japanese wrestling is anything like most other Japanese industries they don't want to even know about customers in not-Japan, let alone provide for them.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006

triplexpac posted:

So you think NJPW should have been recording english commentary in post and then airing their shows at a later date? I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

Yes, I think that would be a completely reasonable option.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You're welcome!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

If Japanese wrestling is anything like most other Japanese industries they don't want to even know about customers in not-Japan, let alone provide for them.

NJPW definitely wants to court international audiences, which is of course different fom saying that they always take the right approach in doing so. They've recently signed multiple deals to get their merch in foreign hands much easier. They're trying the conventional US/Canada PPV market for the first time and it looks like the NJPW World thing might be a replacement for Ustream.

Kidani (Bushiroad CEO) recently said that he wants the NJPW guys to learn better English to increase their international appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
their conservative approach is at least better than the WWE's approach of being so bullish on everything that you end up shooting yourself in both feet

• Locked thread