Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Gils posted:

the neo zeong is basically the size of a small child so i'm going to pretend you buy like dog halloween costumes and dress it up

This...is actually a disturbingly amusing idea..... Make the Neo Zeong a festive centerpiece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suzaku posted:

This...is actually a disturbingly amusing idea..... Make the Neo Zeong a festive centerpiece!

gently caress that, just make it your christmas tree.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What is a good place to get those finishing extras like metallic pieces, photo-etched parts and decals that japanese builders can get at a grocery store. Or perhaps HG kits don't need them and I'm exaggerating.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gammatron 64 posted:

Look, if you can afford to blow money on a Neo zeong model like its nothing

Haaaaaaaaa....

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

This is from quite a while ago, but if anyone's after an RG Astraea, Gentei doesn't have the Type F but does still have the conversion parts available. You need an RG Exia, and it comes out white & blue rather than red & tan, but you end up with the same kit.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalRaven posted:

This is from quite a while ago, but if anyone's after an RG Astraea, Gentei doesn't have the Type F but does still have the conversion parts available. You need an RG Exia, and it comes out white & blue rather than red & tan, but you end up with the same kit.

Mandarake gets several of both every week but they sell fast

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

gently caress that, just make it your christmas tree.

Once I get my own place, you better believe that wing zero custom is going to be the angel on the top of my christmas tree.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
My brother and I just finished G Gundam and we want to use God Gundam as the star for our tree.

He also just got a G-Self in the mail which will be his first gunpla in 10 years (I got him hooked on Build Fighters so now we watch Try and G-Reco as they air, filling the gaps with G, 0079, Unicorn, and X). We may end up using the G-Self as a star if the God doesn't happen.

karlor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 12, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The correct Christmas tree is the Neo Zeong with Fuunsaiki as a star.

I told my roommate about using the NZ as our tree and she hit me so I think that idea is out.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

I told my roommate about using the NZ as our tree and she hit me so I think that idea is out.

That's the only reasonable use for that drat thing...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

everythingWasBees posted:

That's the only reasonable use for that drat thing...

I keep saying, it looks super dope menacing my other 1/144 kits and it provides a nice easy focus for posing: Everything is teaming up to fight it (except AGE-1 Titus and Build Burning, they're slugging it out at his feet, and Z'gok's running in terror). It ends up looking pretty rad.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I hope she also hit you when you bought NZ. :v:

If you ever see this LtW's roommate, please note that we never told him to buy that piece of poo poo.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I hope she also hit you when you bought NZ. :v:

If you ever see this LtW's roommate, please note that we never told him to buy that piece of poo poo.

I really sympathize with him on this since I love garbage and things that I probably shouldn't like and am really on the fence about a Neo Zeong or Nightingale, and my roommate would probably destroy the box before I even got the chance to build it since he hates them so much.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 12, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Neo Zeong in my hobby stories gonna rot on that shelf forever because none of us Gundam nerds actually want one lol

Also I was thinking about putting Eva-01 on top of the tree in a jesus pose but I got the look of death when I suggested it so probably not

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I keep saying, it looks super dope menacing my other 1/144 kits and it provides a nice easy focus for posing: Everything is teaming up to fight it (except AGE-1 Titus and Build Burning, they're slugging it out at his feet, and Z'gok's running in terror). It ends up looking pretty rad.

I mean if I had the money, the space, and didn't have a fuckton of HGs and NGs I want, I'd probably get one too, but it's still the most impractical model I've ever seen.
Except for potentially the dendrobium.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

But, like, a lot a lot of money. Because there's no way I'd be buying an HG-level kit for that much unless I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't have a lot a lot of money but my only hobbies are Gunpla and comics so I can swing something ridiculous once or twice a year because the rest of the time I'm saving my money.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What is a good place to get those finishing extras like metallic pieces, photo-etched parts and decals that japanese builders can get at a grocery store. Or perhaps HG kits don't need them and I'm exaggerating.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

Abby.lc and hqoparts on Ebay. Other sellers do 'em too, or you can search for "Gundam metal detail up parts" to get the good stuff.

HLJ carries Adler's Nest amongst others, which has metric tons of cool metal parts and stuff.

Edit:

Re: Neo Zeong, I have the funds to get one and a house, but we have no workable space to put it that isn't the centerpiece of our dinner table, and I've been told that "if the nerd room turns into the robot room, we're gonna have problems" so the dinner table is out.

What my wife doesn't know is that there's gotta be a way to rig the NZ up as a menorah. How do I run LEDs and rig up a 9-way switch?

Edit 2: life is getting in the way of finishing Metal Gear Rex until next weekend, so here's how things stand now.

This picture looks better than it does in the real world - the plastic is way less DARK BLACK in it, more of a very dark charcoal. I'm stunned at how good it looks in this photo. The nubs on the left leg's smoke grenade launchers are way too prominent, though, so out comes the sandpaper. Any special precautions when sanding down enamel paint?

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 12, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MJP posted:

Any special precautions when sanding down enamel paint?

Resin and enamel dust is a twofer of danger. Mask up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As much as I enjoy ragging on Dickeye for his poor life decisions y'all are kinda getting overly indignant about the neo zeong, especially since like 9/10ths of you have photographically incriminated yourself as having made an equal or greater volume of financial fumbles in this hobby.

MJP posted:

What my wife doesn't know is that there's gotta be a way to rig the NZ up as a menorah. How do I run LEDs and rig up a 9-way switch?

Unfortunately it's about 3 arms short unless you want to parts order and get real crazy.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Hey man, I wouldn't complain about it looking good in a photo. The reflection off the red bowl is giving off some cool secondary lighting too. I propose you make this into a diorama piece with lighting!

I was very seriously considering Rex as my next project, but you beat me to it and it looks pretty darn good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mr. stefan posted:

Unfortunately it's about 3 arms short unless you want to parts order and get real crazy.

Arms? Who's talking about arms? The fingers are ripe for it.

"Baruch ata Full Frontal, elohenu melech ha'Zeong," etc.

runwiled posted:

Hey man, I wouldn't complain about it looking good in a photo. The reflection off the red bowl is giving off some cool secondary lighting too. I propose you make this into a diorama piece with lighting!

I was very seriously considering Rex as my next project, but you beat me to it and it looks pretty darn good.

It's bright pink
:goonsay:

I don't quite have the diorama skills but I am planning on painting (somehow) the Liquid and Snake figures that came with it. Somehow I feel more drawn to show the scale of Rex more so than the MG Zaku II that I built. I guess for no other reason than other than Rex is a giant hulking beast against which you have no equal footing, and the tiny Snake with a Stinger is as David & Goliath as it gets.

If only I could find the right mix of paint to use as a watered-down flesh color wash for Liquid, and figure out how to do the combat gear on Snake :-(

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 12, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neo Zeong owns, gently caress the haters. It's on my buy list for 2015.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Man that thing looks good. Can't wait til I get mine and it sits on my backlog forever. I really want to rig mine up with LEDs though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If I had the time, space and money, I'd totally have a Neo Zeong.

Anyway, I now have three gunpla all dispatched. This is how it happens isn't it. They all arrive on the same day. I bet they will.

(HGUC Kampfer, HG Grimoire, HGBF Sniper K9)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 12, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mr. stefan posted:

As much as I enjoy ragging on Dickeye for his poor life decisions y'all are kinda getting overly indignant about the neo zeong, especially since like 9/10ths of you have photographically incriminated yourself as having made an equal or greater volume of financial fumbles in this hobby.

Anyone with a closet full of backlog can suck my nuts. At least I've assembled everything I've bought.

Monaghan posted:

Neo Zeong owns, gently caress the haters. It's on my buy list for 2015.

It's really dope. It's got a very different feel to building it just because of the sheer size of the parts, and for whatever reason all of the pieces came off INCREDIBLY cleanly. I don't know if it just looks that way because the parts are all so much bigger than the nubs or what but it looks fantastic with minimal work put into it.

HG Sinanju on the other hand can loving blow me.

edit I just spent an hour-plus putting up a goddamn shelf for these plastic assholes to sit on. They better look dope on it.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 12, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's wrong with HG Sinanju? Just how it comes off the runners?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

MJP posted:

It's bright pink
:goonsay:

I don't quite have the diorama skills but I am planning on painting (somehow) the Liquid and Snake figures that came with it. Somehow I feel more drawn to show the scale of Rex more so than the MG Zaku II that I built. I guess for no other reason than other than Rex is a giant hulking beast against which you have no equal footing, and the tiny Snake with a Stinger is as David & Goliath as it gets.

If only I could find the right mix of paint to use as a watered-down flesh color wash for Liquid, and figure out how to do the combat gear on Snake :-(

Pink is the best colour. If I ever build a Gundam again I kind of want it to be the PG Strike Rouge because that fucker is FABULOUS, although PG Unicorn might sway me if it's engineered well.

As for painting tiny mans, do you gave much experience with tabletop miniatures and the like? The only way I can see to do Liquid and Solid properly is to paint them by hand (and you've got a magnifying lens in that picture, which should help). It's been a while since I mixed up my own flesh tones but, if I remember correctly, for caucasian skin you want a pure white paint as your base, add small amounts of red to get it pink(!) then add a drop of yellow and sometimes a smidge of black doesn't go amiss. Add in a tiny amount more black and maybe some brown in order to make it the right tone for a wash.

If you're trying to replicate areas that are in shadow with the wash, remember the colours don't just appear darker when there's less light, they're also less "colourful," or "de-saturated," if you prefer that term.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

runwiled posted:

Pink is the best colour. If I ever build a Gundam again I kind of want it to be the PG Strike Rouge because that fucker is FABULOUS, although PG Unicorn might sway me if it's engineered well.

As for painting tiny mans, do you gave much experience with tabletop miniatures and the like? The only way I can see to do Liquid and Solid properly is to paint them by hand (and you've got a magnifying lens in that picture, which should help). It's been a while since I mixed up my own flesh tones but, if I remember correctly, for caucasian skin you want a pure white paint as your base, add small amounts of red to get it pink(!) then add a drop of yellow and sometimes a smidge of black doesn't go amiss. Add in a tiny amount more black and maybe some brown in order to make it the right tone for a wash.

If you're trying to replicate areas that are in shadow with the wash, remember the colours don't just appear darker when there's less light, they're also less "colourful," or "de-saturated," if you prefer that term.

I have never done miniatures before, ever.

Following Youtube advice I have a basecoat of brown on Liquid. I will try your advice at my next opportunity.

You can barely see Liquid in the one alligator clip in that picture. These things are about as tall as my thumbnail.

I am so intimidated by painting them it's nuts.

Edit: I also did some checking, the base for Rex appears to be compatible with Kotobukiya chain bases. All I need are the walls from one or two, though. Dammit.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 12, 2014

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

MJP posted:

You can barely see Liquid in the one alligator clip in that picture. These things are about as tall as my thumbnail.

I am so intimidated by painting them it's nuts.

If you're intimidated, then you could look to getting something equally as tiny and painting that for practice or else be content within yourself that you're going to be learning as you go and your first attempt will never look amazing but you can probably still make something you're proud of.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's wrong with HG Sinanju? Just how it comes off the runners?

The decals. The goddamn decals. I spent like a solid hour just doing the knees. The Sinanju took me longer than the NZ did.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone with a closet full of backlog can suck my nuts. At least I've assembled everything I've bought.

You know, I was kind of on your side right up until this. :colbert:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

runwiled posted:

If you're intimidated, then you could look to getting something equally as tiny and painting that for practice or else be content within yourself that you're going to be learning as you go and your first attempt will never look amazing but you can probably still make something you're proud of.

I think I got rid of the sprue that had the Zaku II's pilot - my only other option is the Mineva Zabi one that came with the Delta Plus. I'm intimidated by painting hers just as much... bleh.

Must resign self
must be OK with failure

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Midjack posted:

You know, I was kind of on your side right up until this. :colbert:

Hey man I'm just saying, if we're talking about wastes of money, boxes full of unassembled plastic beats out one big box of plastic that I put together into a dope robot who's threatening all my other little robots with destruction any day. Before people talk poo poo they should look at their backlogs, that's all I'm saying.

And then they can blow me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The decals. The goddamn decals. I spent like a solid hour just doing the knees. The Sinanju took me longer than the NZ did.

that's more of a problem with the design of the sinanju rather than kit quality. Even the mg has those decals.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

that's more of a problem with the design of the sinanju rather than kit quality. Even the mg has those decals.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't at HG scale. They're just so goddamn tiny and I'm poking them into just the right place and ughhhhh

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You'd legitimately be better off trying to paint the decals. The HG was actually designed to make it easier IIRC.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

You'd legitimately be better off trying to paint the decals.

You've never seen me paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You've never seen me paint.

It's actually p. easy doing a reverse wash on the Sleeves trim, you don't even need to paint within the lines. You just lay down some metallic, then some gloss, then black, then use a q tip dunked in alcohol to wipe the black paint off the raised detail.