Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched The Thing again. Still owns.

I didn't remember the ultra-cheesy, ultra-80s spaceship crash-landing before the title, though, and I can't help but think the movie would be helped immensely by it not being there at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that part.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That the Thing has seemingly just finished brutally destroying the planet of cheesy saucermen sets exactly the right tone for the film.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's just tough to take a literal flying saucer in a pop-culture world where Monsanto, the Umbrella Corporation and Genestealers exist. By explicitly throwing that ten-second shot of a 50s flying saucer crashing, you take away the exploration of the team, the discoveries they make and the horrible reveal of the saucer outside the Norwegian camp. You could be asking "Is it a mi-go from the Mountains of Madness? Is it Norwegian gene-splicing gone awry? Mass Cabin Fever? What is going on?!"

Instead, from the first shot of the movie you know, "yep, it's aliens." :geno:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Of course The Thing is cheesy but why would it still not be great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

Of course The Thing is cheesy but why would it still not be great.

I said it still owns. I just feel that the desperate urgency of Macready and his team trying to find out what they're up against has its legs cut out from under it in the first shot of the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But they don't really know what they're up against. You see a silly saucer like that and you expect a goofy looking Alien, VS crazy body horror gory monster stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Everblight posted:

I said it still owns. I just feel that the desperate urgency of Macready and his team trying to find out what they're up against has its legs cut out from under it in the first shot of the film.

Why? It's still a mystery to them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In the original Thing From Another World, the creature that kicks their asses from pillar to post is a vegetable.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Does anyone know where to pick up a copy of In My Skin that'll play on U.S. DVD players and won't cost 40+ dollars?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
this Darknet thing is really good.

I could watch an entire movie about the exploits of Business Guy in episode 3.
He's bad-rear end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How is this wacky? :psyduck:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It is when you imagine the mouth going NOM.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Sire Oblivion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the original Thing From Another World, the creature that kicks their asses from pillar to post is a vegetable.

It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sire Oblivion posted:

The Thing is a self-aware movie. It knows how over the top insane it is. That's why lines like the infamous "You gotta be kiddin' me" exist, and shots of the head scuttling away like a shy crab, and entire chests opening up and biting people's hands off. It's simultaneously horrifying and silly, and it knows it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Everblight posted:

I didn't remember the ultra-cheesy, ultra-80s spaceship crash-landing before the title, though, and I can't help but think the movie would be helped immensely by it not being there at all.

This is wrong for The Thing. But does apply to Predator.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is wrong for The Thing. But does apply to Predator.

i think it rules in both, personally.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The Evil Dead series coming to starz,

Yes it will of course have Bruce Campbell!

http://deadline.com/2014/11/the-evil-dead-series-ash-vs-evil-dead-sam-raimi-bruce-campbell-starz-1201280595/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everblight posted:

It's just tough to take a literal flying saucer in a pop-culture world where Monsanto, the Umbrella Corporation and Genestealers exist. By explicitly throwing that ten-second shot of a 50s flying saucer crashing, you take away the exploration of the team, the discoveries they make and the horrible reveal of the saucer outside the Norwegian camp. You could be asking "Is it a mi-go from the Mountains of Madness? Is it Norwegian gene-splicing gone awry? Mass Cabin Fever? What is going on?!"

Instead, from the first shot of the movie you know, "yep, it's aliens." :geno:

Totally man, I walked out of the theater the minute I saw aliens were involved meaning the movie would not have a twist ending of them only thinking that aliens are around. :wtc: Like if they became aware aliens were a thing it wouldn't have effected the story at all.

The mi-go is a weird example, many of the creatures from Lovecraft's and Howard's works are explicitly aliens from another planet, the mi-go included. I always thought of The Thing as one of the most Lovecraftian movies ever made because it's a truly alien life in that we have no idea how it works or lives beyond what they can piece together during the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 12, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Totally man, I walked out of the theater the minute I saw aliens were involved meaning the movie would not have a twist ending of them only thinking that aliens are around. :wtc: Like if they became aware aliens were a thing it wouldn't have effected the story at all.

The mi-go is a weird example, many of the creatures from Lovecraft's and Howard's works are explicitly aliens from another planet, the mi-go included. I always thought of The Thing as one of the most Lovecraftian movies ever made because it's a truly alien life in that we have no idea how it works or lives beyond what they can piece together during the movie.

What I was saying was that as a viewer I would have enjoyed watching the members of Science Station 31 piece together what exactly was going on, rather than being told, even before finding out the name of the movie, that aliens from a literal flying saucer will be involved.

It makes the film feel more like going into the backyard and pulling your GI Joes apart, we know it's an alien from outer space, these poor schlubs have to find it out over the course of a whole movie as it picks them off one by one.

I was saying, in a world where we as viewers are media-literate, the speculation of what kind of monster The Thing is (Mi-Go? Yeti? Norwegian BioWeapon?), until the big saucer reveal when they go out in the CAT to the Norwegian station the second time, would have been a nice experience.

I totally get the counter-argument, though - the movie is from 1982, we're just a few years removed from the Chuck Heston "Man Screams at the Future" trilogy and goofy-rear end The Day The Earth Stood Still, so dropping a chintzy flying saucer before the credits works as a Drew-Barrymore-in-Scream type dealie to say, "uh-uh motherfucker, we ain't doin no green rubber men this time!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'll never forget that shock from when I first saw it either, because I and I'm sure most other people were expecting little grey men, so when the dog starts changing it was pretty crazy. Especially the first time I watched it, I didn't think the entire team was particularly doomed until the blood test scene starts to go crazy. The movie is very similar to Alien in that respect in that it doesn't matter if the thing is an alien, it came from the center of the earth, it's a living virus, whatever as far as the team is concerned because their primary issue at that point is survival.

They were also smart in being secretive about how the different forms of the creature would look, and this was before you had massive internet spoilers dissecting everything before hand, so just the mere information that aliens are around wasn't really a linchpin plot point for the movie since it was a given compared to general tension between the characters and the extreme level of gore. The discovery aspect is instead made more light and is there to provide relief and some dark humor ("Maybe we at war with Norway?" Wilford Brimley's awesome grossout reactions to sticking his hands into the remains, etc.). They discover the wrecked ship fairly early on in the film, the big deal at the end isn't that there is a saucer or aliens are a thing, but that Wilford Brimley's character pieced together a new ship via some tunnels while they thought he was locked up.

I think the movie still works in that respect since it was never really about where the thing is from, and that's not really something the team tries to figure out either beyond the most immediately relevant information to help them survive.

I forgot this was a thing for a second and briefly envisioned a special edition of the Evil Dead films wherein Bruce Campbell is digitally removed or replaced. :downs:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I gave Deep Star Six a spin and it was decent for being an underwater Alien(s) rip-off, but meh.

I checked out Beneath on Netflix and the story is miners get trapped in a coal mine and spooky things start to happen, but it's pretty well acted and has a good use of colors which is pretty surprising because it's all in a cave. It's nothing new but a solid effort, thumbs up.

Witching and Bitching owns and is pretty funny. Watch this poo poo.

Gallow's Hill (or The Damned, Netflix is confusing) is pretty weak, just a typical possession film where people find a little girl locked in a basement, and free her and accuse the dude who runs the place of being bad but don't heed his words. Blah blah blah typical bullshit and lo and behold the girl is bad and nothing all that exciting happens. You can piece together the whole film within the first 20 minutes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think it rules in both, personally.

As a kid I watched Predator on VHS with the opening cut off and started with the helicopters dropping Dutch off at the beach. I liked the fact that the whole alien aspect was a surprise of sorts.

It absolutely does not matter, of course. It's just a nostalgia tainted preference.

In my eyes nothing would be lost from its exclusion and a whole bunch gained, but then again, who cares. It's Predator.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That part in Predator owns because the composition is upside-down. The monster flies up to Earth from Space Hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why does the Predator have to be from space hell.

He's probably just a regular dude on a fun hunting trip.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Why does the Predator have to be from space hell.

He's probably just a regular dude on a fun hunting trip.

Hunting for sport is wrong and evil.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don't culture shame. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe it's like when there are too many deer or crocodiles so a bunch of rednecks get paid money to just kill as many as they can for a few weeks?

Too many humans, so we're being culled by Space Rednecks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hunting for sport is wrong and evil.

Counterpoint man is wrong and evil, double negative means hunting dudes is dope.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Literally The Worst posted:

Counterpoint man is wrong and evil, double negative means hunting dudes is dope.

I'm not sure I can trust you on this, you are wrong and evil.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt6kKhlX8vU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, I believe you'll find that man...is the most dangerous game

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Cloverfield is my favorite found footage movie. I thought it did a good job of capturing the sheer awe and panic as a bunch of New York hipsters realize that not only are we not alone in the universe, but that alien life is gigantic, pissed off, and here to gently caress them up. They also did a good job making the Hud character just retarded enough that him actually carrying a camera around during a giant monster attack is plausible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Cloverfield is my favorite found footage movie. I thought it did a good job of capturing the sheer awe and panic as a bunch of New York hipsters realize that not only are we not alone in the universe, but that alien life is gigantic, pissed off, and here to gently caress them up. They also did a good job making the Hud character just retarded enough that him actually carrying a camera around during a giant monster attack is plausible.

Here's the thing: You don't have to be dumb to continue filming. There's a ton of footage of 9/11 shot by people on the ground who just happened to have a camera running and kept filming and now it's a first-hand record of what was happening. Were those people retarded?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's hilarious that that gets continually brought up all the time, as far, far stupider and more dangerous things get captured on film, every single day, and they all get thousands to millions of hits. And this has been going on since cameras went handheld, so it's not all about Youtube clicks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hilarious that that gets continually brought up all the time, as far, far stupider and more dangerous things get captured on film, every single day, and they all get thousands to millions of hits. And this has been going on since cameras went handheld, so it's not all about Youtube clicks.

Most of those things are from Russian dashboard cams, and most of the appeal is how completely nonplussed the drivers are.

"Hey look, a tank :geno:"

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Literally The Worst posted:

Here's the thing: You don't have to be dumb to continue filming. There's a ton of footage of 9/11 shot by people on the ground who just happened to have a camera running and kept filming and now it's a first-hand record of what was happening. Were those people retarded?

I see your point, but I feel there's a difference between filming during the events of a shocking but relatively brief and localized disaster, and holding a camera while dodging a giant monster, live-fire from the US military, fighting pony-sized parasite creatures in a subway tunnel, and climbing collapsing high rise buildings.

I mean if Cloverfield really happened I'd think Hud was a hero for capturing all this footage for the rest of us, but still pretty retarded for not putting the camera down while literally fighting for his life.

But like I said being dumb enough to do that fit perfectly well with the way Hud was portrayed as a character, so it didn't detract from the film at all for me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

But like I said being dumb enough to do that fit perfectly well with the way Hud was portrayed as a character, so it didn't detract from the film at all for me.

Rob Hawkins: Still filming?
Hud: Yeah, people are gonna want to know... how it all went down.
Rob Hawkins: Well, you can just tell them how it all went down, Hud.
Hud: No, that wouldn't work. People need to see this, you know? It's gonna be important. People are going to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

penismightier posted:

Rob Hawkins: Still filming?
Hud: Yeah, people are gonna want to know... how it all went down.
Rob Hawkins: Well, you can just tell them how it all went down, Hud.
Hud: No, that wouldn't work. People need to see this, you know? It's gonna be important. People are going to watch this.

Good thinking too considering he dies and is rendered mute.