Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

My other question is why aren't all bus seats rear facing? It wouldn't require any extra space.

I get carsick in rear-facing bus seats. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kells
Mar 19, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Also, now I was really curious, so I decided to check. the CDC's last statistics are from 2011.

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/leading_causes_of_injury_deaths_highlighting_unintentional_injury_2011-a.pdf

so basically SIDS is the leading cause of death in babies under 1. From 1-4 it is drowning, most likely pools and bathtubs I'd assume? So the quoted statistics may not in fact even be correct?

Sorry, what's your point here? Car accidents being cause #1 or #500 in childhood deaths shouldn't change the importance of installing and using your car seat correctly.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Really we should all be rear facing, physics-wise, in a collision. Someone should invent a camera for backwards driving and make a mint.

Edit: lol

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Wow, car seat drama. Our hospital wouldn't let us leave until we correctly strapped our baby in to the car seat.

Anyways, I was wondering what you all thought about TV usage for kids under 2. My wife and I had been using it(A specific nursery rhyme youtube video) occasionally to distract our 6 month old while we are busy, but I recently read you should avoid all TV until age 2 because kids under 2 aren't able to learn anything from TV. Now we just play sounds or something. What are your thoughts on this?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

skipdogg posted:

Keep them rear facing as long as feasible (but I do disagree with the mommy bloggers about keeping your 4 year old rear facing, lets be reasonable here). Pay attention to height/weight restrictions, seated shoulder height, etc. My oldest is 43 pounds now and LATCH is only rated for 40 which means the seat belt now needs to be used instead of LATCH.

Because I pay attention to height and weight limits on my seat, my 4 year old is still rear-facing. Madness!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Apogee15 posted:

Wow, car seat drama. Our hospital wouldn't let us leave until we correctly strapped our baby in to the car seat.

Anyways, I was wondering what you all thought about TV usage for kids under 2. My wife and I had been using it(A specific nursery rhyme youtube video) occasionally to distract our 6 month old while we are busy, but I recently read you should avoid all TV until age 2 because kids under 2 aren't able to learn anything from TV. Now we just play sounds or something. What are your thoughts on this?

The reality is the vast majority of parents let their kids watch TV/videos. Their kids would be better off receiving direct interaction with their parents. Do what works for you.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 11, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

kells posted:

Sorry, what's your point here? Car accidents being cause #1 or #500 in childhood deaths shouldn't change the importance of installing and using your car seat correctly.

jassi007's point is quoting statistics is a dumb reason to be so crazy about car seats.

Yes, everyone should get their car seat installed correctly. Even inspected if its the first time you're installing that particular seat so you can learn what you did incorrectly, if anything. But that's all. No need to reread manuals or get the seats inspected every time you swap them out or change the cars they're in.

A kid is way more likely to bite it in a car if his parent drives like a maniac because he can't chill out about anything (and seat belts won't protect adults either when you drive like a loon and get into an accident).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Apogee15 posted:

Jasper will be two at the end of this month and I let him watch muppet videos on youtube when I'm trying to get dinner ready since otherwise its a huge disaster and I'd never be able to cook. Sometimes if I need to answer some work e-mails or do a little bit of work at home I'll throw on some kids show like Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street or Curious George for him so I can concentrate for 15 minutes. He's a hyper maniac so getting him to sit quietly for 15 minutes can be a life saver and help me keep my sanity sometimes. I don't care if that makes me a "bad" parent.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alterian posted:

Jasper will be two at the end of this month and I let him watch muppet videos on youtube when I'm trying to get dinner ready since otherwise its a huge disaster and I'd never be able to cook. Sometimes if I need to answer some work e-mails or do a little bit of work at home I'll throw on some kids show like Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street or Curious George for him so I can concentrate for 15 minutes. He's a hyper maniac so getting him to sit quietly for 15 minutes can be a life saver and help me keep my sanity sometimes. I don't care if that makes me a "bad" parent.

It doesn't make you a bad parent, at worst it makes you an average parent. Bad parent would be if instead of doing what's necessary to keep the household sane, you just hit him instead.

We're at a point now where we can usually make meal prep time sane by convincing him to "help". We set up his step stool at the counter next to our drawer of random kitchen stuff (all harmless, like spatulas and steamer baskets and measuring cups), and he just goes to town.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Apogee15 posted:

Anyways, I was wondering what you all thought about TV usage for kids under 2.

We made a specific effort to "train" our 16 month old to watch cartoons, because we were desperate for something to distract her on car trips and to, well, make her sit still and calm down, which she has a hard time doing on her own. She's very active, which is generally awesome, but oh my god, sometimes we just want to chill out for a few minutes. Now she'll watch five minutes or so of Timmy Time or Shaun the Sheep before losing interest and wandering off, but it gives her a chance to relax a bit inbetween all the bouncing off of walls. And if she starts flipping out in her car seat and nothing else works, we have a magic bullet that for a short while at least makes her forget that she's unjustly imprisoned in a five-point torture chamber.

So my thought is that of course you shouldn't plop your small child down in front of the TV for hours at a time, or use it as a substitute for actual parenting, but sometimes you need to whip out a short cartoon or a video of kittens playing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Has it been proven that kids under 2 don't learn from TV? Seems like an out there claim.

Though I agree that direct play with parents is better.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Molybdenum posted:

Has it been proven that kids under 2 don't learn from TV? Seems like an out there claim.

Though I agree that direct play with parents is better.

I'd imagine that it might have something to do with the idea that children that young should be moving around, learning motor functions, and actively learning rather than just exercising their minds (especially before they can understand the language).

(I base this on absolutely nothing.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When we ask Jasper what noises different animals make, for some reason when we would ask him what a Lion says he'd shake his head from side to side and go "Shhhh!!". We had no idea where he got this from, but it is pretty hilarious. We have one of these in my husband's car for him to play with. http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-19150-My-Own-Leaptop/dp/B0038AJYSS and as you can see by the picture, one of the animals it shows is a Lion. The animation that plays when they say "L! Lion!" is the lion shaking his head to shake his mane and it makes sort of like a rustling sort of sound. Sort of like "shisshishish". Mystery solved. I guess he sort of learned something from it. We were also wondering how the heck he knows what a whale was. I think he got it from that too.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Alterian posted:

I guess he sort of learned something from it.

Haha, that reminded me! We've watched a few Hungarian childrens cartoons on youtube (partly because my husbands family is Hungarian, but mostly because these cartoons are flat out insane), and from one of them she has learned to wave her arms and shout "igen!" (yes) when we ask in Hungarian if she wants to sing it again. (it's from this one.)

By the way, let me introduce you to the Hungarian alphabet, all 44 letters of it. It's ridiculous. Their alphabet song is 4 minutes long.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Apogee15 posted:

I did a pretty good job at keeping my first child's screen time to a minimum before he turned two, but I've completely given up with the second child so she gets to watch Super Why (or The Wiggles) with her brother. She's still smart as a whip so it doesn't seem to be making her any dumber but I do feel a bit guilty when she grabs the PS3 remote, turns it on, hands it to me and then plops down in my lap facing the TV.

Generally I find they don't have much of an attention span unless they're about ready for a nap so when they get distracted and run off I turn it off. They get maybe an hour a day, more if I'm tired and need to make the morning pass quicker.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
When our two-point-five year old wakes up at an ungodly hour on Saturday morning, I have no compunctions with shutting her in her room with the iPad (loaded with kids apps and the PBS episode app) so that my wife and I can get more sleep.

When she was younger, we used the iPad as a placating tool, too. Sometimes you just freaking need an hour, and so long as you manage it and don't let them do it all day, don't worry so much.

And I've said it before and will say it again: Daniel Tiger has helped us parent so much. Even at 18 months, the "think about what you're going to do, then pick the clothes that are right for you" song helped convinced her to put on a winter coat several times. Always in moderation, but it can be useful.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Lyz posted:

I did a pretty good job at keeping my first child's screen time to a minimum before he turned two, but I've completely given up with the second child so she gets to watch Super Why (or The Wiggles) with her brother.

With my first kid, I made sure the cable was only tuned to music channels (the ones with no videos, just screen text) and reserved Youtube videos for rare occasions for distraction of trying to wind down for naps.

With my second kid 2 years later, I tried to limit her screentime but her brother was starting to get into stuff like Looney Tunes. Not much, maybe 30 minutes at a time. Ok, no big deal.

With my third kid a year later, Disney Junior is a constant fixture in our home. The kids wear Doc McStuffins shirts, sing Sofia the First songs, and if its an indoor at-home day, the TV will be on for 4 hours at a time. Mama needs a break, to do dishes, to pay bills, whatever - it's on. They don't even sit down and watch it for more than 20 minutes at a time, and they've never seen a full-length movie nor would they have the attention span for it, but it provides just enough distraction for me to get poo poo done.

Don't get me wrong, those days are relatively rare. They all play well together, read books, play in the backyard, etc. But whatever lofty mom goals I had about restricting screentime, especially with my younger kids, went out the window when the oldest got to the point where he had opinions about playtime.

And for carseats, I have my almost-4 year old rear-facing still (it's easier to buckle both my toddlers into their rear-facing seats through the back of the minivan) and I don't plan to flip him until he hits his weight/height limit. It will likely happen soon, and I'll swap him with the baby and put him in a booster seat in the middle row. I've gotten a ton of poo poo from other parents "Isn't he uncomfortable? Doesn't he want to see where you are going?" - kids don't know there is anything to complain about until you let them know they can complain about it. He has the best view in the car, for all he knows!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, bit of an update on my son, Arden: apparently, and we were never told this by anyone we spoke to, we can just walk in to the children's hospital and request an xray. We thought they required an appointment, which we had been waiting to have made since last Thursday. So we're going tomorrow. We've already booked a follow up appt for Dec 4th to discuss the results.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
I have a feeling that I already know the answer to this question, but has anyone managed to fit 3 car seats into a vehicle that isn't an SUV or a minivan? We have a 2007 Toyota Camry and a 2013 Hyundai Azera that we know won't work so we're trying to figure out our options.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ansiktsburk posted:

I have a feeling that I already know the answer to this question, but has anyone managed to fit 3 car seats into a vehicle that isn't an SUV or a minivan? We have a 2007 Toyota Camry and a 2013 Hyundai Azera that we know won't work so we're trying to figure out our options.

I saw a guy the other day who had a baby seat in the front seat of his car, but thankfully he wasn't smoking so I think that that kid is going to turn out just fine!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ansiktsburk posted:

We ended up buying a VW Touran, it's just a tiny bit wider than most cars so we were able to fit three seats in the back. Two quite bulky rear-facing ones and one front-facing, at the moment.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If I recall correctly, there are slimmer car-seats (or, presumably, one of your spawn is large enough to be in a booster) that will fit three across in a regularly sized (i.e. Camry) vehicle. This may not be possible in a smartcar, but replacing a car seat or two, while it might cost you a couple hundred, might save you $10k if it means not purchasing a new car.

As mentioned above, you can also have the dealer disconnect your passenger side airbag completely.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We where invited to a meeting for parents last night that the county arranges every year for parents until their child is 6, if they want to come, we where like 12 people there. They have someone there who talks about children, the raising of and the problems parents have and at the end there was a general discussion and question session.

Some of the things I remember in no particular order. Dunno if this is of any interest or not, some things may be obvious no brainers. This is turned out quite lengthy and something of a word spraying, rambling post. Not quite sure what I meant to accomplish with it even.

-Parents shouldn't use cry it out, this was disregarded as old baggage and unscientific to boot, if your child is crying pick it up, especially for small children it is important, they are emotional creatures.

-What is better, adhering to a principle, my child shall not sleep in the bed, or spending 1-3 hours every night fighting to get the child to sleep?

-Relating to the above, if you're having troubles with rules and the enforcement of them, perhaps you should look over which core set of rules are worth keeping and which are worth discarding.

-Ever wonder why children always seem to cry and be extra fussy when you wanna get them to sleep fast so you can catch that show / tv program that's coming on tonight, well they notice it even if you think you aren't showing, they notice that you don't wanna be ther and wanna get away. How well would you sleep in a room that someone else don't wanna be in for some reason, what's going on? So they aren't as many parents might feel, doing it to just be bastards.

-Children are all very different, some are more emotional, some are more curious, more/less physical or sensitive etc. If you have a child and it's generally difficult to get it todo things, goto sleep or not wreck the house because it goes everywhere and pulls down flowers and so forth, well it can be easy to feel like you're a bad parent if someone else says they never had those problems with their children, they where always such angels. It's not the parents superior parenting that's the reason, it's just how their kids are and it's easy for parents to claim the honor for it.

As the speaker herself found out with her 2nd child, which was very difficult and problematic, her first child was very calm and easy to handle and she thought she was a great parent and better than others, obviously. With her 2nd child she found out it was a very different experience and perhaps it wasn't her superior parenting after all that resulted in her first child being so well behaved...

-If you have rules, you need to enforce them and be consistent, if your child gets up on the table and you go "ooh how'd you get up there" and put him/her down, then some other day you get angry and put them down at once and go "NO", and then some other day you see it while on the phone and you let it go or just flimsly say "don't do that" because you're busy, the child doesn't really know what to think, is it ok some times but not others?

-Children aren't verbal either, if you merely say what you want from them then then you won't get it most of the time. If your child is doing something it shouldn't and you tell him/her not to and it doesn't work, then you need to physically stop the child, pick it up and carrying it away from what it's doing. Just saying no over and over again won't work and eventually the child learns it can do what it likes, which is also stressful for the child. What children want is not what they need, basic stuff really.

-Children can't do a lot of things or keep a lot of things in their heads, it's easy sometimes for parents to say "do this and this and this, then this", but a kid can't keep all that in their head. You need to portion out orders to them in sizes they can comprehend, such as "clean up all the toys from the floor and put them in the basket".

-Don't say no all the time, or can't, it's easy to fall into the negative enforcement, impossible really, but we should try and think of how we phrase the boundaries we want to put on our children, if we can coax it into a non-negative way, so we aren't always just a source of bans and dont's to our children. Also because it delivers the focus on what you can't do, making it more interesting. Better to try and distract from the thing you don't want them todo than drawing attention to it. She had some examples but I'll be darned if I can come up with one myself now. She also said she fails at this often.

-Give your children time to adjust to changes, example was it's a saturday morning and you've woken up and is eating breakfast and your SO says "Let's go into town, you got 5-10 minutes to get ready", you wouldn't like that. We don't like sudden changes, but we often expect our children to just stop what they are doing and do as we tell them. Instead of telling them to not

-Parents complaining about not having time, this she said might make some angry, but a lot of the time we find the time for the things we like, but they aren't our kids. We'll make time to pursue an hobby or a TV show or something we place personal interest in (such as work), then we'll complain we don't have time for our children, but we do prioritize them down in a lot of cases.

It's a symptom of todays active busybody world, she mentioned we're perhaps the last generation who might have had grandparents where something would not always be happening and you could just be. I myself can remember my grandparents (small farmers) always being at home and not always having something they where doing, none of them had a car or a drivers license, there where times nothing would happen and you'd be able to hear the clock ticking. Todays senior citizens are much more active, travelling, studying, pursuing hobbies, etc etc, so as she said, a lot of kids will sadly never know this less stressfull life, even briefly.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^^^ What a great concept! I wish classes like that were mandatory for all parents.
We do a lot of distracting with our 16 month old. Getting her to want to do something else more is way easier than just trying to get her to stop doing whatever random thing she's not supposed to be doing, that she would've been bored of soon anyway.

Groke posted:

We ended up buying a VW Touran, it's just a tiny bit wider than most cars so we were able to fit three seats in the back. Two quite bulky rear-facing ones and one front-facing, at the moment.

God dammit, don't tell my husband that. We have a Touran, and the only thing keeping him from wanting three kids is that he thinks he has to buy a bigger car to fit them in.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Sockmuppet posted:

God dammit, don't tell my husband that. We have a Touran, and the only thing keeping him from wanting three kids is that he thinks he has to buy a bigger car to fit them in.

When we were expecting #3 we went the rounds of local dealerships physically trying to fit our seats into the various car models that might be suitable for us; the Touran was the only thing below the VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy etc. class that worked.

If we manage to end up with even more kids I guess it'll be VW Caravelle time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sockmuppet posted:

^^^ What a great concept! I wish classes like that were mandatory for all parents.
We do a lot of distracting with our 16 month old. Getting her to want to do something else more is way easier than just trying to get her to stop doing whatever random thing she's not supposed to be doing, that she would've been bored of soon anyway.

Thanks, it was a very useful session I thought, and I was told this is not the norm in Finland, it's basically only our county that offers this so we're extra special apparently.

I remembered some more things. Such as don't get frustrated if they're having a bad streak, in the end these are just periods and they pass and it's mostly never that long anyway, be patient.

And when a child gets to that age (2ish) that they tend to have tantrums and such, they're not doing it to be an rear end in a top hat, it can be that they are frustrated and angry because they where unable to do something, it's in this period of life they're taking their first steps towards independence after all and trying to learn new things and they don't yet know how to deal with setbacks. As a parent you can help mitigate it by picking them up and comforting them and physically taking them somewhere else. Though there was a mention that some children it should be noted don't like physical contact when angry, at least not too much of it. It all depends. However they all need to know that you are there for them, even if it means just checking up on them and asking how they're doing.

There will be two more of these independence periods when they separate more from their parents, when they're 5-6 and again in their teens. And then it's all gone :( She mentioned how her son wanted to hold her hand when going down the stairs and she tried to get him to stop as she thought he was old enough, but then he learned to and didn't want to hold her hand anymore and that's a part of his childhood gone that won't be coming back and she felt bad for rushing it.

There was also talk about the role of shaming in disciplining children, basically the speaker felt this was bad method and that children naturally feel shame if they know they've done something bad and you can tell (they look look down and won't meet your eyes, and similar behaviours) and don't really need the parent to heap more on them. She felt shaming can inhibit personal growth and make children less happy/outgoing. Perhaps more important in finland since we're very introvert and unsocial as a people. Definitely got the impression that shaming was considered a bad technique.

Also on the issue of grandparents, I bet most people have heard that the kids where no problem, we have none of those issues you have at home, they where angels. Implied words is we're doing something wrong in raisning our kids. But this is not so, the children just don't feel as relaxed and used to their grandparents as they do at home with their parents. So it's a matter of being comfortable with you and the location (home) rather than you doing something wrong. Just a little FYI if you've ever felt this way.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

-What is better, adhering to a principle, my child shall not sleep in the bed, or spending 1-3 hours every night fighting to get the child to sleep?

Re this, how do you get the kid to sleep in her own bed all night? Our daughter is 21 months, and almost every night as long as I can remember she's woken up 2-3 times a night. She'll go to sleep in her own bed without problems, but like clockwork she'll start fussing after about 5-6 hours of sleep. Earlier, I've just held her and rocked her back to sleep/sleepy and put her in her bed, and she'll sleep for a couple of hours, then repeat.

Then for the last couple of months or so, my husband and I started letting her sleep in our bed when she woke up at night, just because both we and her got so little and low quality sleep from all the wake ups. Now she refuses to go back to sleep in her own bed if I try to rock her and put her back. We don't really mind having her there, but I fear that it will be hell to reverse this habit if we keep it up.

Any tips on getting her to sleep well in her own bed?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Basically what the speaker said was they grow out of it and want to sleep in their own beds with time anyway and that parents are in general too fearful of this scenario. Basically keep letting her sleep in her bed, take her over to your bed if needed, don't sweat it, it'll work itself out. Thats the message I took from it anyway.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

OK, sounds good. :)
Like another thing they said in your class, it's probably a phase. (Which is then followed by another phase, then another and so on... ;))

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I wish kiddo would sleep in our bed :( No matter how tired she is, she NEVER wants to snuggle/relax/approach anything recembling a horisontal position in our room. It'd be lovely if all that was required when she woke up in the middle of the night/at the asscrack of dawn, was to bring her into our bed and let her sleep there.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Midnight Sun posted:

Re this, how do you get the kid to sleep in her own bed all night? Our daughter is 21 months, and almost every night as long as I can remember she's woken up 2-3 times a night. She'll go to sleep in her own bed without problems, but like clockwork she'll start fussing after about 5-6 hours of sleep. Earlier, I've just held her and rocked her back to sleep/sleepy and put her in her bed, and she'll sleep for a couple of hours, then repeat.

Then for the last couple of months or so, my husband and I started letting her sleep in our bed when she woke up at night, just because both we and her got so little and low quality sleep from all the wake ups. Now she refuses to go back to sleep in her own bed if I try to rock her and put her back. We don't really mind having her there, but I fear that it will be hell to reverse this habit if we keep it up.

What worked for me was putting Ellie in her own room. She was in a cot in our bedroom until she was 18 months, woke up constantly and ended up in bed with us every night. Since she moved out she sleeps in her cot from half 7 until half seven in the morning. She doesn't even need to be rocked or soothed to sleep any more - she fights to get into the cot. It's like night and day and life is so much easier now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

Our daycare had their annual parents meeting last weekend and of course this was a hot topic. As expected, most parents said you just need to let them cry it out because that's what they read in their old Dutch midwifery book (okay maybe that wasn't the exact reason everyone gave), until one lady chimed in with her experience. She had two kids and had tried CIO with both, it somewhat on the first kid but backfired so horribly on the second that she's now terrified of her room. The only place she'll sleep is on their sheepskin rug in the living room because she associated it with not being alone.

In short, it totally depends on temperament and if getting in your bed puts Herr back to sleep then just b happy you have anything that works.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Yes, because after car seat chat, the thing this thread really needs is to discuss CIO.

Anyway, our daughter is going through a phase where she refuses to eat dinner most days. Any tips on coaxing food in her when "you gotta try new foods they might taste good" doesn't work?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well how old is she? Bottom line is if she's eating at school or for breakfast and lunch, ages not gonna starve herself. Kids are naturally curious so curiosity will get the better of her at some point.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our kid has had issues staying in his bed since we switched it to a toddler bed he can climb out of. He'll fall asleep, but wake up in the middle of the night crying (I think he was having issues with night terrors/sleepwalking or something as well it was bizarre) so he'd end up sleeping in our bed at some point because I wasn't about to sit up for an hour or two trying to coax him back to sleep in his bed. Its been slowly getting longer and less frequent over the weeks. Before he use to wake up about midnight or so and come in our room. Its more like 3 - 6 am now with one or two nights a week he makes it through the night in his bed. We just figure eventually he'll be in his bed every night on his own.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I think new parents expect kids to sleep through the night like adults after X weeks/months because there is always some person who says their kid did. I'm convinced they lie to get happy couples to ruin their lives have children, or they drug their kids.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I think new parents expect kids to sleep through the night like adults after X weeks/months because there is always some person who says their kid did. I'm convinced they lie to get happy couples to ruin their lives have children, or they drug their kids.

I think it's more that there's a conspiracy of silence regarding kids. Nobody reveals the gruesome details until it's too late.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Both of my kids slept just fine in their own cribs after like 8 weeks. Nothing crazy or special or evil. Just lucky

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Scotch is the best sleep aid for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Do they still make Dimetapp?