Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

internet celebrity posted:

I see this advice all the time and I wonder if it's actually true. A lot of breweries sell packaged beer in regular growlers.

Most force carb in the Bright Beer Tank and then package already carbonated beer in said growlers. This lowers the gas pressures involved assuming that the yeast produce CO2 at a higher rate than the beer around them can dissolve into solution at fermentation temps.

Also for the same volume of CO2, at higher temperatures the pressure in the headspace will be higher due to lower saturation levels in the beer itself.

Gas laws are annoying little bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
It probably depends. I definitely have had some friends lose growlers because they decided to carb in them. I've had other friends be successful, but they burped them halfway through the first week.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
My friend asked me to clone a beer for her birthday (Duclaw Dirty Little Freak) and I agreed before I realized it has coconut

Anyone ever dealt with this crap? I have no idea how I'm going to get this ready by the end of December.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Earlier this summer I took first place in the Indiana State Fair Brewer's Cup in the fruit beer category with a coconut porter. My advice is to buy the organic whole coconut flakes. Toasting them helps bring out flavor. I used 1 lb of toasted flakes in 5 gallons of beer that was still in the primary after fermentation was done. Let it sit for a week on the flakes, and shake/agitate it every other day.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
How coconutty is 1 lb in 5? I actually havent had this beer so I need to grab some to figure it out.

Can I ferment a week without it then another week on coconut?

Heres the page

http://www.duclaw.com/beer/dirty-little-freak/

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Jo3sh posted:

So what's the group wisdom on using fermenters, thieves, autosiphons, tubing, etc., on clean beer after it has been used for sour beer? I think it is to sanitize well and then keep on truckin', but I just want to check to be sure I am not completely whacked.

There was a time when I had separate everything for sour beers, but once I didn't have the room for all that mess anymore I just kept a few things (glass carboys, a particular wine thief) for sour beers only and let the rest cross over. Any equipment that gets used for a sour beer gets treated with a bleach solution after I'm done cleaning it with PBW, and so far I have yet to get a sour infection in any of my regular beers. As long as you're strict about cleanliness, you should be fine.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Ubik posted:

There was a time when I had separate everything for sour beers, but once I didn't have the room for all that mess anymore I just kept a few things (glass carboys, a particular wine thief) for sour beers only and let the rest cross over. Any equipment that gets used for a sour beer gets treated with a bleach solution after I'm done cleaning it with PBW, and so far I have yet to get a sour infection in any of my regular beers. As long as you're strict about cleanliness, you should be fine.

I've recently been doing even less thanks to shared equipment. The wine thief worries me more than anything but so far, so good. My latest conan DIPA even sat at room temp for longer than I'd planned, and has been in the keggerator for a while with 0 hints of any contamination from the keg or from growlers I've shared.

I'm sure that it'll bite me in the rear end eventually.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

Welp, dry hopped with fresh hops from my yard (went to secondary on top of the fresh hops), but I couldn't get to it until this weekend, and I think it went off. Bottled last night, so I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Circling back on this, and yep, there's definitely an off flavor. Sort of vegetal, which makes sense with fresh hops left too long, I suppose. I think the beer had potential (aroma was awesome going in to secondary), so maybe I'll give it another try next season.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've got a porter fermenting with 1028 London Ale and I was thinking of putting a big stout of some sort on the yeast cake when the porter is done. Does anyone have a recommended all-grain recipe for a 9-10% stout?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

How coconutty is 1 lb in 5? I actually havent had this beer so I need to grab some to figure it out.

Can I ferment a week without it then another week on coconut?

Heres the page

http://www.duclaw.com/beer/dirty-little-freak/

I did a coconut porter last winter and it was delicious but a huge pain in the rear end. I couldn't find unsweetened coconut flakes so I ended up buying a whole coconut, chopped it up, toasted it, and dumped it in secondary. It ended up being barely noticeable so I threw in another coconut (the beer sat on coconut flakes for a total of two weeks, I think), and I still thought it could have been stronger but my wife and others I shared it with said it was phenomenal. I must have used about 2-2.5lbs total in 5 gallons.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm trying to get my recipe building/brewing repatoire down to where I get to really know my ingredients. So I'm going to start SMaSH'ing.

Previously, I've done a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale'ish like clone that had Pale Malt (extract) and was mostly Cascade. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what Cascade hops taste and smell like now.

I've also got a Two-Hearted Clone (all grain) going right now that is mostly 2-row and all Centennial, that will be dry hopped and put in the keg in the next few weeks. This way I'll have a better idea of what 2-row and Centennial taste and smell like.

So now I'm looking for the next SMaSH-y IPA'ish thing to do and came across some information on Simcoe. I like the idea that Simcoe is supposed to be a little "piney/woodsy" and have some apricot and passionfruit aromas. I want something dank and funky which I think will fit the bill.

Throw me a recipe that has a good single base malt (I've never used Maris Otter for instance) and some Simcoe or make a suggestion on what hop/malt variety I should be SMaSH'ing next.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Marris Otter/Simcoe sounds perfect, just do it. Somewhere around 1:1 gravity:IBU, 5-7% final.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Also for some reason I was looking at an idiots guide to all grain on I think Wikihow and they say to never use Star San because its no rinse foamy so it'll "make your beer taste bad" and "since its an acid you never want it to touch your skin"

Unabashed ignorance finds it's way everywhere including books!

internet celebrity posted:

Do you scrub it at all? Sponge or scotch brite?

Whenever I scrub with a scotch brite it seems to remove the oxide layer, the scrub water turns murky grey. But that seems like the only way to get the grime off the bottom so I always have to re oxidize it after scrubbing.
e:
Definitely agree with this, I've regretted buying this thing since the first time I brewed with it. I don't think I brew enough anymore to justify buying a SS kettle at this point so I'm just going to have to learn to live with it.

I use all AL pots, and they are the bee's knees. I just rinse the pots out, do a bit of scrubbing with a standard sponge (no scrubby). AL pots get a lot of hate, but they are CRAZY cheap (40 qrt pots for ~40), really light, and easy to cut? Yes please. Sure they may not be beautiful, but they are functional as heck.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's crazy how little zest is needed to get a pronounced citrus character in a beer. I think I went a little overboard with 10g in my saison.

It smells amazing, though.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

ChickenArise posted:

Marris Otter/Simcoe sounds perfect, just do it. Somewhere around 1:1 gravity:IBU, 5-7% final.

So play around with something like 1.060 OG to 60 IBU, is that right?

How would I want to add aroma and dry hops? Ounce at flame out and ounce of dry hop?

I'm using WLP001 since that's what I have on hand and keep in the fridge.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Quick beersmith estimations say that like 1.061 OG of Maris Otter (11 lb with my brewing profile) + .75oz simcoe @ 60m + .5oz Simcoe @ 20m + .75oz Simcoe @ 10m is 56 IBU.

I'd personally shoot for less initial bittering and hope for some extra IBU in an extended whirlpool, but that's mostly because I stick to a similar process for all of my hoppy beers so that I can try and understand the differences (which might be something like 1.5 @ 15min and 1.5 @ flame out with a 15-20 minute rest before turning on the chiller, and not removing the hop bag until I transfer into the carboy).

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 12, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It's crazy how little zest is needed to get a pronounced citrus character in a beer. I think I went a little overboard with 10g in my saison.

It smells amazing, though.

Did you use dried peel or fresh? I can't even imagine how long it takes to get 10g of zest from fresh fruit.

For reference, I used 2g of fresh grated key lime peel in one of my first few batches (a key lime witbier) and it smelled and tasted great.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Holy poo poo I got behind.

So... I was gifted a kegerator. I made a quick smash IPA and dumped it in the corny after fermenting/crashing. How the hell do I actually get carbonation that lasts more than 3 seconds?

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Holy poo poo I got behind.

So... I was gifted a kegerator. I made a quick smash IPA and dumped it in the corny after fermenting/crashing. How the hell do I actually get carbonation that lasts more than 3 seconds?

How long has it been on gas? Its a function of pressure, temperature, and time. I usually keep most of my ales at 37F at 12psi for a week before taking a pint.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

evelyn87 posted:

How long has it been on gas? Its a function of pressure, temperature, and time. I usually keep most of my ales at 37F at 12psi for a week before taking a pint.

It's at about that pressure and temp, I think I put it on tap Saturday? So I'll just give it time. I had some odd impression it was ready to go after a few hours.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's at about that pressure and temp, I think I put it on tap Saturday? So I'll just give it time. I had some odd impression it was ready to go after a few hours.

A 'few' hours would be the absolute minimum, and that involves high pressure + agitation + rest.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's basically three ways of force carbonating:

1. Put on 30 PSI and agitate it (usually by putting the keg on its side and rolling it around for a while) for about 15 minutes, then bleed the pressure off and put on serving pressure.
2. Put on 30 PSI for 24-48 hours, then bleed the pressure and put on serving pressure for a few days
3. Put on serving pressure, wait till it's good (usually a week or so).

I use 3 most of the time, 2 if I want something quick.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Anybody tried brewing malt liquor or have a recipe? I did a quick internet search but information is kind of limited.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Thufir posted:

I've got a porter fermenting with 1028 London Ale and I was thinking of putting a big stout of some sort on the yeast cake when the porter is done. Does anyone have a recommended all-grain recipe for a 9-10% stout?
ooh ooh I do I do

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Ron Don Volante posted:

Anybody tried brewing malt liquor or have a recipe? I did a quick internet search but information is kind of limited.

drat it, you're going to make me scale my Cream Ale recipe to 8% ABV, aren't you?

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/lost-my-job-cream-ale-malt-liquor

I've never done this, but now I just might. The beer it's based on was a very pleasant cream ale. I've upped the percentage of rice in this one somewhat to keep it dry. You'll want to mash on the low side, maybe 149 degrees.

A real malt liquor would be lager yeast, but this Cream Ale Blend (WLP080) does pretty well.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Thinking of dry hopping my latest batch of apfelwein. Planning on an ounce of Citra for 4 days before kegging. Anyone other recommendations for juicy/fruity hop varieties that would go well with fermented Apple juice?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Mosaic, Amarillo, Galaxy

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Speaking of apfelwein, I did a batch a while ago with some cranberry-raspberry juice to add color and flavor. Then the word "rhubabrb" wandered through my field of vision, might have been in this thread - or not. Has anyone done a cider with rhubarb?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

ZIGfried posted:

Thinking of dry hopping my latest batch of apfelwein. Planning on an ounce of Citra for 4 days before kegging. Anyone other recommendations for juicy/fruity hop varieties that would go well with fermented Apple juice?

A local cidery does a dry hopped cider. I spoke with the maker and they said they tried a bunch of hop varieties and settled on Cascade.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

Speaking of apfelwein, I did a batch a while ago with some cranberry-raspberry juice to add color and flavor. Then the word "rhubabrb" wandered through my field of vision, might have been in this thread - or not. Has anyone done a cider with rhubarb?

Two Towns cider house makes a rhubarb/apple cider called Rhubarbarian that I can get in Minnesota. It is quite tart and dry. Definitely refreshing but I doubt I could drink more than one in a sitting.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cpt.Wacky posted:

A local cidery does a dry hopped cider. I spoke with the maker and they said they tried a bunch of hop varieties and settled on Cascade.

Cascade has been a great dry hop for cider when I've tried commercial versions. It's definitely more toward the herbal side vs fruity imo, though.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
The thermometer that the goon hivemind likes is the $96 Thermapen right?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I was looking over the results from the competition I recently entered (my first ever) and realized a ton of the winners were the event organizers and/or people who work at local breweries. It really kind of soured me on the whole process. I did get some nice feedback on my entries but I feel like I'm up against some kind of unfair odds. Is this normal and expected in smallish (~350 entries from ~150 entrants) local competitions?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

DontAskKant posted:

I have one, and I like it for cooking, but I find the probee too short for brewing.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

McSpergin posted:

Ugh yes strawberry sour has a sick pellicle!!

3 things:
1) plastic wrap only hardly seals air out
2) pellicles form in response to oxygen, it's basically just a measure that your beer has brettanomyces and is getting some oxygen
3) why are you using plastic wrap to seal the top?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

Thermoworks just finished a sale that had a 8" stem thermometer for $10. It might not help since you are too late for the sale though. :-)

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_eYzzub0X1J9DC

This worked great for me. Also Amazon has a deal from now till the new year. 20% off certain Extech measuring equipment. I was looking at pH meters after my last brew.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

ZIGfried posted:

This worked great for me. Also Amazon has a deal from now till the new year. 20% off certain Extech measuring equipment. I was looking at pH meters after my last brew.

You mean the yellow etekcity 0.05ph meter for $18.95? The #1 seller?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

ZIGfried posted:

I have this thermometer also and it works pretty well, just wish it was faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

You mean the yellow etekcity 0.05ph meter for $18.95? The #1 seller?

Never seen that product before. Looks like for $20 you can get one that goes to an accuracy of 0.01

Anyone have experience with them? Looks like you calibrate with a screwdriver which is a bit of a pain but the price is right.