Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That might be really annoying to people who don't find the thread until it's underway, like me with the season 4 game except I knew that wouldn't be long until it finished and another was likely to be run.

It also means that you can't know how he's going to react to the Moffat era, Eleven, or Rory and Amy and you're laying down three seasons of predictions in almost total blindness so guess wrong at the start and you're boned for the next 40 reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Noxville posted:

That might be really annoying to people who don't find the thread until it's underway, like me with the season 4 game except I knew that wouldn't be long until it finished and another was likely to be run.

It also means that you can't know how he's going to react to the Moffat era, Eleven, or Rory and Amy and you're laying down three seasons of predictions in almost total blindness so guess wrong at the start and you're boned for the next 40 reviews.

Well you'd guess based on what he's liked in the past and how Moffat fits into those trends. Isn't it kind of the point that if you guess wrong you lose? You can still enjoy the reviews.

EDIT: Or, do it by season and then have the front runners enter a differently constructed competition for the Christmas special to determine the champion?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The main issue is that one season doean't give too wide a point spread so the scores are too clustered. With just one season its too likely there are muliple tied scores, especially if more people join.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

The main issue is that one season doean't give too wide a point spread so the scores are too clustered. With just one season its too likely there are muliple tied scores, especially if more people join.

So just do the entire Matt Smith run. If anyone comes in late and can't sign up then, well, poo poo happens. It's not the end of the world.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Thats my thinking. People have had a quarter of a year to start reading the thread

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

You could do it season-by-season but keep a Championship tally for people who enter all three. Or I guess ask Toxx to give more granular scores (i.e. 1-10) so they'd be more spread out.

I'm just saying, the game is going to be a write-off for most people past season 5 and they're going to have to wait months before the Capaldi era rolls around and they're able to give a poo poo again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BSam posted:

It's been useful to find out the order of tv serials and audios. But I wouldn't want to use it for anything deeper.

Honestly, even for that, the normal wikipedia pages are better and more organized, plus most of them have helpful links to summary pages in case you miss a line or two in an audio and need later clarification (and the entries for each TV serial usually source some interesting websites that have production info).

Jerusalem posted:

There is a lot of awful stuff in there too, a lot of TERRIBLE stuff, but Pwnstar is right, it is a bad episode with a lot of good moments. Season 6 itself is pretty "bad" as a season long story, but has some of the best individual episodes of the revival's entire run.

Bad episode with good moments is always how I've thought of it and yeah, it is representative of season 6 as a whole, in that the over-arching plot is insufferable but there are a lot of really clever things and great episodes along the way, including the Silence, The Doctor's Wife and lots of other stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm considering doing a Regenerated Dr Who Toxx Guessing game, but either I need to find a way to make score spread out more or run it over a longer period of time. Currently I'm wondering about running over the duration of the Amy/Rory Companionship so 2 and a half season. Thoughts? General feedback?

I'll step in and say this is a bad idea, if only because there's no guarantee either one of us will even last that long.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

I'll step in and say this is a bad idea, if only because there's no guarantee either one of us will even last that long.

Brilliant idea. You guys should stop right before the show gets good! :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Brilliant idea. You guys should stop right before the show gets good! :colbert:

When you're looking down a timespan like that, there's always a chance outside circumstances will cut the thread short beyond one or both of us just going "bored now, all done." Just saying, the entire Pond run is a long row to hoe and you probably don't want to drop it all at once like that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

gently caress you, I watched every episode of this terrible show because of you two. THE REVIEWS MUST CONTINUE. YOU OWE ME

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I could take three seasons. And if you break off early decide what to do on what things look like at the time... Unless you're hinting that he got really angry at journeys end

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

When you're looking down a timespan like that

You could decrease the timespan by adding a third review per week!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm considering doing a Regenerated Dr Who Toxx Guessing game, but either I need to find a way to make score spread out more or run it over a longer period of time. Currently I'm wondering about running over the duration of the Amy/Rory Companionship so 2 and a half season. Thoughts? General feedback?

Go for a season at a time because it's fun and that will maximize the fun. So what if there's not a big spread or if there's multiple people in first? It's a lark. Let it stay that way.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

alternately take the thing really loving seriously, becuase if you cant take a game where someone guesses what someone else thinks of an episode of a tv on an internet forum seriouslly, then whats the point of it all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Soothing Vapors posted:

gently caress you, I watched every episode of this terrible show because of you two. THE REVIEWS MUST CONTINUE. YOU OWE ME

No you didn't

Little_wh0re posted:

Your issue is partially to do with the central limit theorem, running it over a wider time will probably make the clustering more - and not less - pronounced. There are a few things you can do to spread them out a bit (eg sum the squares of the differences, not just the unsigned differences) but having a larger sample is not one of them.

[edit]

Normally distributed as all gently caress

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

alternately take the thing really loving seriously, becuase if you cant take a game where someone guesses what someone else thinks of an episode of a tv on an internet forum seriouslly, then whats the point of it all.

Taking it seriously is like :(, not taking it seriously is like :) right now I'm :) not :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One spoiler I've kinda been hoping he won't get spoiled for but it's dropped a few times in that thread is that Eleven's companion equals Amy or that Amy equals Karen Gillan, since there's about fifteen minutes where Amy Pond is a missing seven-year-old and Karen Gillan is a strange policewoman/kissogram six months later and if you don't get spoiled it's a pretty neat realisation of figuring it out or it getting revealed, either or. I like this whole vicariously reexperiencing neat moments.

Maybe that's just nostalgia for The Eleventh Hour, though. That was a goddamn good episode. It would've been neat if they bought back some of Amy's friends for her wedding.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

One spoiler I've kinda been hoping he won't get spoiled for but it's dropped a few times in that thread is that Eleven's companion equals Amy or that Amy equals Karen Gillan, since there's about fifteen minutes where Amy Pond is a missing seven-year-old and Karen Gillan is a strange policewoman/kissogram six months later and if you don't get spoiled it's a pretty neat realisation of figuring it out or it getting revealed, either or. I like this whole vicariously reexperiencing neat moments.

Maybe that's just nostalgia for The Eleventh Hour, though. That was a goddamn good episode. It would've been neat if they bought back some of Amy's friends for her wedding.

That is a bit weird.

If it was RTD, you just know all of the people, ALL OF THEM, introduced in Eleventh Hour would have had something to do, some big moment or character thing across the multiple seasons she was around.

Moffat just kind of forgets all but Rory existed and then tries to make us believe that there was a third one there all along oops it was actually River.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

That is a bit weird.

If it was RTD, you just know all of the people, ALL OF THEM, introduced in Eleventh Hour would have had something to do, some big moment or character thing across the multiple seasons she was around.

And oh Christ in Heaven it would have been unbearable

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No you didn't
all the episodes worth watching :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love the way people interact with anything that could be considered "geek" media. "The internetman made me do it. I... I don't even like it. It's terrible! I'm not like... one of those people, who watches it. I have a football avatar, for Christ's sake! I don't even know what TARDIS stands for!!"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just want to say I find it funny how much hate Let's Kill Hitler gets here, because I went into it with Toxx-like blindness and I think the parts people hated were the parts I liked.

I had to go looking back at it just now and thought things like "oh, they wrote 'Doctor' in a cornfield. That's a little schlocky." But I enjoyed getting an abridged look at Amy and Rory's life, I enjoy bonus regeneration antics since they're still an uncommon event on this show, I enjoy the open implications that a character might "die" and regenerate into someone I recognize.

Somebody in this thread once gave a tongue in cheek comment that at the end of the most recent episode that Missy regenerate into Jacobi and be thrown to the end of the universe. The potential for that kind of weird poo poo is the only thing I enjoy from the thought of more Time Lords, and I hope if they do come back we get more "figure out the order of events" stuff and less SciFi C-SPAN.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I love the way people interact with anything that could be considered "geek" media. "The internetman made me do it. I... I don't even like it. It's terrible! I'm not like... one of those people, who watches it. I have a football avatar, for Christ's sake! I don't even know what TARDIS stands for!!"

drat right. I am one of those cool people who posts about bad sci-fi in a niche television subforum of a dying comedy website

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

And oh Christ in Heaven it would have been unbearable

I actually agree with you on that- just pointing out the difference.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I had always been under the impression that Time Lords meet more or less in proper chronological order to each other due to something or other. I'm sure TARDIS wiki has the details but gently caress if I'm going into that hellhole again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

That is a bit weird.

I just think it would've been nice to have Jeff and his Gran in the background at the wedding.

quote:

Moffat just kind of forgets all but Rory existed and then tries to make us believe that there was a third one there all along oops it was actually River.

Mm. The problem with introducing Mels earlier is that she can never meet The Doctor, otherwise the assassination programming kicks in. A namedrop would've been nice, though.

Actually, come to think of it, they had the perfect opportunity to introduce Mels at the start of Season 6 when Amy and Rory are hanging out around the house watching The Doctor be an idiot in history. Only half a dozen episode before Let's Kill Hitler, so not a challenge to organise. It would've dramatically improved her later bit.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Burkion posted:

That is a bit weird.

You're talking about the same moffat that forgot what Clara's parents looked like as well as the fact that one of them was dead. I was frankly shocked that the grandma character both returned for season 8 and had the same actress.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Suffering through Tennant and quitting just before Smith is insane. You'd be missing out on the best revival Doctor. Maybe even one of the best Doctors of the entire show. And there's plenty of godawful Moffat poo poo for Oxx to eat up and adore.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Reading that latest review in the other thread has me questioning; Davros was amazing in Journey's End, why has nobody bothered to use him since?

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The red hair kind of gave it away for me. But it was fun to watch the Doctor realize what was going on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In retrospect, wasn't Amy being a kissagram really odd?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

In retrospect, wasn't Amy being a kissagram really odd?

How so?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What's a tiny English village need with a kissogram in this day and age? I mean... What it just Moffat not being able to call her a stripper or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Noxville posted:

Reading that latest review in the other thread has me questioning; Davros was amazing in Journey's End, why has nobody bothered to use him since?

Davros stories are hard to do well, generally, or at least have been historically. The character best works to snark back and forth with the Doctor and ultimately be betrayed by the Daleks -- and so he's kind of one-note-ish. At least with characters like the Master, you can have them loving around and doing all sorts of poo poo ... Davros is still a raisin in an electric wheelchair.

That said, I do expect Moffat to have a run with Davros before his time is up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Noxville posted:

I'm actually really happy they've been using him sparingly. I do think he'd have made a good villain for the Doctor questioning his morals, so this might have been the season to bring him back, but the Master works just as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

What's a tiny English village need with a kissogram in this day and age? I mean... What it just Moffat not being able to call her a stripper or something?

They're apparently about 20 minutes from Gloucester, which is a sizeable city. Bristol isn't too far from that either and that's definitely large. So she wouldn't just be working in Ledworth.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Is a kissogram even a thing? Seems to me if you were into buying that sort of thing you'd much rather have a stripper or a prostitute anyways. Unless they're way cheaper or something?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I had to go looking back at it just now and thought things like "oh, they wrote 'Doctor' in a cornfield. That's a little schlocky." But I enjoyed getting an abridged look at Amy and Rory's life, I enjoy bonus regeneration antics since they're still an uncommon event on this show, I enjoy the open implications that a character might "die" and regenerate into someone I recognize.

They do this a few times with 11, and I have a secret wish that a companion will leave another note for the Doctor like that and the show finds a way to bring back an older doctor to pop by and say "What's up?" because there's really no guarantee the doctor will find that note in the form they are familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm actually really happy they've been using him sparingly. I do think he'd have made a good villain for the Doctor questioning his morals, so this might have been the season to bring him back, but the Master works just as well.

Yeah, and the thing is, we've already had Davros telling the Doctor, "No, gently caress you, you are not a good man, you are the destroyer of worlds and you turn everyone you travel with into bloodthirsty monsters and by the way gently caress you."

• Locked thread