Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

xie posted:

edit: You guys aren't going to magically convince me that my fun spare time hobby isn't fun, sorry! If you can't understand that everyone has different hobbies and what seems stupid to one may seem fun to another IDK what to say except leave the thread then?

Dude, they just want some nugget of info to feel like a part of the puzzle. They want to solve it too, you know? It's not fun to have someone go "I've got a secret about something you care about but I'm not going to say! Neener neener neener." And I'm not saying that that's what NBB did, but it could definitely feel that way. I think what NBB wants to do is go after it first, after he's sunk time into it, and then if it doesn't work out for our group, post his ideas and see if anyone else can build on them or see if he was totally wrong. And I'm fine with that.

I was relooking at one of the puzzles, the one for New York, and honestly I found some stuff that seems to align with another PNW city, Portland. If you guys want something to do, check out the shapes used in the image seem to align with that piece of land in North Portland that goes along the Columbia Slough and how the gemstone in the image seems to indicate that it may be at Kelley Point Park. The versus used also mention an grey giant (that enormous ship?) and lots of cars -- there's a massive car park right there by the park. I'm not sure how Liberty equates into it. Maybe there was once a Liberty statue at the park? One of the small replica ones?

Anyway, something to look into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Another reason for NBB to share his poo poo is because of the high likelihood that he is wrong. It's obvious that he now has other people putting time and money into his idea and he also has to put time aside for this. All while his other "solutions" have been dubious.

We just want to help. So post your poo poo and if it is as airtight as you say then people here will be fully in your corner and it will be a race against time to get there before someone else does. Which should really light a fire under your rear end.

And if it is obviously wrong then you can move on and deal with it and start looking for 23s in other locations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Xie I hope you pull one of these mugs out of the ground one day, I really sincerely do. All I care about is what makes an interesting/funny thread, and posting wacky theories is p. good. Being a secret agent about your mug location is not. Please don't drive yourself crazy.

I am totally on board with progress on the "puzzle" being real progress, even with no digging, but yeah, this is why I come to SA: I want to be informed, I want to be entertained, and I want to do the same for others. With no new data, no new conjecture, no new thing for people to talk about, none of those can happen. I have read this entire thread and I enjoy it quite a bit; I think "new" breaks on these could come from old family photos sitting around that show things as they were for Preiss, for example, so I certainly haven't give up hope that we can "conclusively" (as conclusively as most aspects of fragmented history) figure out where these were.

Post your theory, go dig it up, and then post about the dig. That is what is best in life.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

xie posted:

I'm not going to speak for NBB or his theory, but I don't think this is true at all. It's like saying you have made no progress on a marathon because you're only at mile #6. What's the point of anything if you view progress as "no progress" or "completed" with nothing in between?

The problem with this thought is that you think you're on mile #6 but it's more likely you are 20 miles southwest of the starting line running in the wrong direction. Or in the case of anyone believing one of them is Milwaukee, Oregon: in a completely wrong city.

If Milwaukee is so hot, why isn't anyone sharing anything here? I am with the other resident goons and firmly believe it's been smashed during some renovation. I still believe it could be solved in the sense that "this is the closest we can solve it using these ancient photos/maps etc..." but it's never going to be dug up. I followed clues to land in 3-4 different *possible* locations (trying to forcefully not follow my previous clues) and each location I was heading towards was either bulldozed enough to ruin anything buried there or so vast and big that you'd need a bulldozer to find it sometime this year.

xie posted:

A GPR was recently rented in Milwaukee.

lol what? for where?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure the location of the New York cask is Preiss' grave.

Let's get digging.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

crashdome posted:

The problem with this thought is that you think you're on mile #6 but it's more likely you are 20 miles southwest of the starting line running in the wrong direction. Or in the case of anyone believing one of them is Milwaukee, Oregon: in a completely wrong city.

That's fair. But my definition of progress is not "someone tossed out a wacky theory: progress!" it's "we have Polaroid matches in this area: progress?"

quote:

If Milwaukee is so hot, why isn't anyone sharing anything here?

Because nobody else on the internet gives a poo poo about SA anymore? Because this thread was never anything but an offshoot. This thread/forum isn't the main hub for discussion on this hunt. It's been going on for over 10 years at Q4T (and other places at times). I'm the only person who regularly posts in both places. If you're essentially demanding me to be "Q4T digest" and keep this thread up to date on all 10 remaining puzzles then you're barking up the wrong tree.

edit: In Milwaukee someone recently discovered a 92 step spiral staircase that is in a building located at 200 Grand (there are references to 92 steps as well as ascending the "grand 200" in the verse). They've also (very recently) posted some polaroid matches they've found, and there's too many of them for it to be 100% wrong. Unfortunately as long suspected, this puzzle devolves into tree hunting, and I think that's impossible 32 years later.

I don't think renting a GPR is necessarily progress, but poo poo's going on in Milwaukee. There is a really dedicated Q4T member who lives and works there.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 12, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
in the same ten years you could have had a child able to say "i love you"

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

xie posted:

Because nobody else on the internet gives a poo poo about SA anymore? Because this thread was never anything but an offshoot. This thread/forum isn't the main hub for discussion on this hunt. It's been going on for over 10 years at Q4T (and other places at times). I'm the only person who regularly posts in both places. If you're essentially demanding me to be "Q4T digest" and keep this thread up to date on all 10 remaining puzzles then you're barking up the wrong tree.

edit: In Milwaukee someone recently discovered a 92 step spiral staircase that is in a building located at 200 Grand (there are references to 92 steps as well as ascending the "grand 200" in the verse). They've also (very recently) posted some polaroid matches they've found, and there's too many of them for it to be 100% wrong. Unfortunately as long suspected, this puzzle devolves into tree hunting, and I think that's impossible 32 years later.

I don't think renting a GPR is necessarily progress, but poo poo's going on in Milwaukee. There is a really dedicated Q4T member who lives and works there.

I assumed Q4T was still locked down so that's why I asked.

So I registered. I'll take it up over there. I haven't been active since August but I also am dedicated and work and live here. I also believe it to be very much out of anyone's grasp of being solved 100%.

fake edit: I have read some of this stuff in the past few minutes and some of it is flat out wrong. Again, I'll take it up over there. The only person that seems to have a good grasp on what's good and bad is user decibalnyc. Is he/she a goon?

real edit: they're still tossing around ideas that were posted here first for over a year or two. I actually think more "progress" as you call it was made due to this thread and the mke goons from the meetup thread having a go at it. I can understand letting this thread die but, they've been doing circles around Lake Park for 10 years from what I am reading.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 12, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

crashdome posted:

fake edit: I have read some of this stuff in the past few minutes and some of it is flat out wrong. Again, I'll take it up over there. The only person that seems to have a good grasp on what's good and bad is user decibalnyc. Is he/she a goon?

I don't know what you're referring to or what is/isn't wrong so I couldn't say.

Decibalnyc and four21thrasher are 2 very excellent and dedicated folks there though who are willing to put up time and money for this hunt. Four21 is the one whose work I can't post here regarding Boston.

edit: There are a lot of lovely theories about the Milwaukee cask, for years people had convinced themselves that the "Letter from wunderstone's hearth" was some stupid loving Girl Scout marker that used to be on the trees. That's what I mean when I say some "good work" has happened there recently. A lot of the cobwebs have been shaken loose and people are letting go of some of those really loving stupid theories.

edit2: Quibbling over who posted what first is silly. They've been working poo poo for a decade and there's a lot of parallel thought processes. It's chicken/egg poo poo, and anything happening here has long since died out. There was good stuff posted here over a year ago, but nobody cross posted it there. People are human and it seems some stuff is only now getting properly 'worked'

And yes, they've been obsessed with Lake Park for a very long time, though almost all of that hinged on the Grand 200 being the Grand Staircase.

xie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 12, 2014

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I'm not quibbling. I'm just responding to your saying that this thread was just an offshoot. I think it has been a useful resource (a boost even) when it started and if there's any room for critical review it could still be provided actual thoughts were posted here and not all this secrecy. Q4T might be "the main hub" but it's also a lot of noise and smurfisms.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What so does he think the New York one is in Seattle because the bird looks like the Sea Hawks logo? Spill it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

xie posted:

Jesus christ how many times do I have to tell you we knew about that same spiral staircase in the Plankinton building of the Grand Avenue for probably a year now lol they're not some amazing savant that all of a sudden figured something out! And we matched the city hall building to the outline in the image exactly, too! I guess that's your weird little "polaroid" thing huh!

4QT IS OUR SAVIOR AND THEIR WORD IS THE LIGHT

So yeah good for that guy or trying to solve the puzzle and stuff (there have been some rather long local articles about it, btw), but stop coming here to tell us how awesome they are over there for finding out the same stuff we all did a year ago.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
To be fair, 200 Statue of Liberty replicas were shipped around the world by the Boy Scouts in the 1950s.

One went to Portland, but nobody has seen it in a long time. So that's a major confirm blasted.

Source:

http://www.cheyennetroop101.org/liberty/

So here's what you do: find more poo poo in that park that matches the image or work on walking through the verse.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I really don't understand what xie's continual references to polaroids are all about.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

wa27 posted:

I really don't understand what xie's continual references to polaroids are all about.

Apparently Preiss took polaroids of all the sites/walkthroughs as he was burying the things so he could send them to the artist for the images. These mythical polaroids haven't been seen for any unsolved puzzles, as far as I know, so when he says "we found the polaroid" it means that he found something in real life that matches something in the image. Basically, matching something to a mythical polaroid that he doesn't even know exists. It's really pretty pointless and the most douchey way of saying "this thing matches the image."

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
After a quick google earth check, I have determined that the Montreal casque is by the fountain at Place Jacques-Cartier. I will take my jewels now.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

wa27 posted:

When Preiss buried them he took Polaroids of the surrounding area/path and mailed them to the illustrator. That part is no doubt - every painting contains Polaroid images from the dig site. A "polaroid" is a big deal.

Example of Polaroids: The fence & fixture in Chicago, the Chicago Water Tower, The Chicago City Hall building, the Legeater lamp leg in Montreal, the columns in Cleveland, the Bowman statue in Grant Park in Chicago, the fountain on the wall in Cleveland, and of course the Wall itself central to the Cleveland image, behind which the casque was buried.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Jesus christ how many times do I have to tell you we knew about that same spiral staircase in the Plankinton building of the Grand Avenue for probably a year now lol they're not some amazing savant that all of a sudden figured something out! And we matched the city hall building to the outline in the image exactly, too! I guess that's your weird little "polaroid" thing huh!

So yeah good for that guy or trying to solve the puzzle and stuff (there have been some rather long local articles about it, btw), but stop coming here to tell us how awesome they are over there for finding out the same stuff we all did a year ago.

what the gently caress are you even rambling about? i am not 100% aspergers up to date on every single thing ever posted in this thread and I don't have a spreadsheet cross referencing it to discussions on Q4T.

Nobody said they're some sort of amazing savants. Do you want a banner praising you for your discovery? I've spent pages and pages saying that Q4T is mostly junk and groupthink, with some more recent good work. Why the gently caress are you so angry?

angerbot posted:

After a quick google earth check, I have determined that the Montreal casque is by the fountain at Place Jacques-Cartier. I will take my jewels now.

I have little and less to back it up, but that's my theory as well!

xie fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 12, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

What are you upset about, I don't get it? Who's "we"?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Guys it isn't the Statue of Liberty its chief Seattle in a dress

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

xie posted:

what the gently caress are you even rambling about? i am not 100% aspergers up to date on every single thing ever posted in this thread and I don't have a spreadsheet cross referencing it to discussions on Q4T.

Nobody said they're some sort of amazing savants. Do you want a banner praising you for your discovery? I've spent pages and pages saying that Q4T is mostly junk and groupthink, with some more recent good work. Why the gently caress are you so angry?

Because you're almost as smug as NBB lol

Yesterday when you said 4QT found the 92 steps stuff, I replied to you that we had found that too. So then when you go parading it out again today like they're geniuses, I'm going to mention it again.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yesterday when you said 4QT found the 92 steps stuff, I replied to you that we had found that too. So then when you go parading it out again today like they're geniuses, I'm going to mention it again.

Who's we? The something awful thread? The brave citizens of Milwaukee?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

What so does he think the New York one is in Seattle because the bird looks like the Sea Hawks logo? Spill it.

The "New York one is actually Portland" is my theory, independent of everyone else. I just came up with it a couple of days ago doing good ol' sleuthing around on the internet. If you're referring to NBB's theory, I have no idea what it is yet or where it is.

Regarding Portland, I will try to put together a list soon with how it corresponds to the New York image and verse. I'm at work right now though, so it won't be until after working hours (PST). I just wanted to post it in this thread so we could discuss it (people were saying that's what they wanted) instead of bitching about meta community bullshit.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BigFactory posted:

Who's we? The something awful thread? The brave citizens of Milwaukee?

Uh, the people who have been following this thread since it started, maybe? Sorry, I guess I should have gone back through the thread to find the exact user names of everyone who was talking about that 92 step thing way back when.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ExtraNoise posted:

The "New York one is actually Portland" is my theory, independent of everyone else. I just came up with it a couple of days ago doing good ol' sleuthing around on the internet. If you're referring to NBB's theory, I have no idea what it is yet or where it is.

Regarding Portland, I will try to put together a list soon with how it corresponds to the New York image and verse. I'm at work right now though, so it won't be until after working hours (PST). I just wanted to post it in this thread so we could discuss it (people were saying that's what they wanted) instead of bitching about meta community bullshit.

I'm assuming that NBB is operating under the same NYC is actually Portland theory because it seemed to have some merit. Unless it's actually the Milwaukee/Milwaukie one, which would just be funny.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm assuming that NBB is operating under the same NYC is actually Portland theory because it seemed to have some merit. Unless it's actually the Milwaukee/Milwaukie one, which would just be funny.

I actually asked him about it and he said that it wasn't. Different image, different verse. That's all I know right now. Still, I think there's some merit with the one I came up with and want to explore it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

OK, I'm sorry everyone, Crusty Nutsack is the real genius. You're being a loving baby because I didn't properly categorize everything and credit you? Is this a joke? I'm sorry that I didn't properly recognize your genius and instead pointed someone toward Q4T where it was more recently posted. You do realize that unlike yourself, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of what you posted a year ago? It was an honest mistake, jesus loving christ. I'm not even working on the Milwaukee hunt myself, which is why it passed me by the first time.

I'm not smug about anything, I think I've been very up front and realistic, up to posting exactly where I think Boston's is buried and what little notes I have on Charleston. As well as my NY/NJ theory, which I have not posted at Q4T.

xie fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ExtraNoise posted:

I actually asked him about it and he said that it wasn't. Different image, different verse. That's all I know right now. Still, I think there's some merit with the one I came up with and want to explore it.

Ah, well, maybe by process of elimination we can figure out which image and verse he's working with then ;)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Uh, the people who have been following this thread since it started, maybe? Sorry, I guess I should have gone back through the thread to find the exact user names of everyone who was talking about that 92 step thing way back when.

Xie was a pretty active voice in this thread until it got plowed under by GBS 2.0.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I found it, you guys. It's over.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

xie posted:

OK, I'm sorry everyone, Crusty Nutsack is the real genius. You're being a loving baby because I didn't properly categorize everything and credit you?

I'm not smug about anything, I think I've been very up front and realistic, up to posting exactly where I think Boston's is buried and what little notes I have on Charleston.

thanks brah I fee much better now

also nice use of bolding

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BigFactory posted:

Xie was a pretty active voice in this thread until it got plowed under by GBS 2.0.

Then I'm surprised that the 92 step thing on the other forum was news to him.

I wish this thread hadn't died when GBS 2.0 started.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

That last part we can definitely agree on. It never recovered and even now you get comedy masterminds coming in here and going "lol i found it guys!"

I was very heavily invested in only Boston at the time, and was pretty new to the hunt. Boston stalled out (only to pick back up eventually) and at some point I got Q4T access, so I spent time reading everything that had come before.

This thread is tough because you really need a thread per image/verse, it's difficult to keep track of everything when it's slammed together, especially because despite good intentions, there is a lot of repeat stuff in here. (like the guy who posted 2 pages ago that he thinks "Isle of B" could be brooklyn - well meaning but rehashing)

At the time the 92 stairs in Milwaukee didn't register as good or bad for me, since I'd paid no attention to that puzzle at all. I was just working Boston. I'm still mostly interested in the North East puzzles but pay attention to all of them now that I'm caught up.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Man if I found one of these I would take a picture of it and post it and NEVER tell anyone where and how it was found. What an amazing potential troll.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's still being shitted up by humorless dweebs, but I enjoy that it's back a little bit. SO STOP BEING SO loving ANGRY EVERYONE! Just chill out.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

xie posted:

Basically this. I'm not sure where all of the butthurt is coming from in this thread. It's awesome that people are putting all of this stupid 30 year old puzzle bullshit together in a way that makes some sense.

Hope the haters don't get NBB and xie down.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It didn't die; theories got increasingly outlandish and there was no real progress so people just gave up.

Literally every theory could probably be resolved in 3 months with the following methodology:

1) Guy says "ok I think I've got something here, it's <his theory>"
2) People pick at it a bit or just laugh it off if it's Urban Smurfing
3) If it's compelling, someone goes and checks it
4) Comes back with pics and general impressions

This is how, for instance, we know that:

Boston is out of play
Milwaukee is out of play
Roanoke is out of play
New Orleans is out of play
Houston is out of play

and that Florida and Montreal and San Francisco and New York are so hard as to be unlikely to be solved (but hey, keep trying) and Charleston is so locked down that it's scary, but might be still doable.

Demonachizer posted:

Man if I found one of these I would take a picture of it and post it and NEVER tell anyone where and how it was found. What an amazing potential troll.

I would honestly rehide it with a new puzzle. Keep the love going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nah, it definitely got swamped in early November last year by 2.0 and never recovered. All the megathreads did basically. Most of them were garbage, but I liked this one.