Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

My prediction would be SEGA porting Vanquish because MGR on Steam was a success and Virtua Fighter 5 because they recently announced another arcade version and home ports are a given. Maybe they'll add quest mode this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

The big knock I have against Kairo is that, as well-done as the atmosphere and design is, it still looks like a Half-Life 1 mod. All the shapes lack detail and there are only a few basic textures used throughout. However, the game makes the most of its minimalist presentation, and in the end it could be seen as more of an asset than a drawback if you can immerse yourself in it. Overall, this is a great game for the look and feel it conveys, and at $1.25 this week there's no reason not to pick it up.

My biggest problem with it was that there was absolutely no point. Early on you see some images and hear some things that maybe make it out to be some anti-war piece or something but all of that gets completely dropped in favor of just puzzle after puzzle until it just kinda ends.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Ragequit posted:

The kickstarter price was $25 to get a copy. This is certainly going to cause some fun in the forums though:

"Yeah, I think I can safely say on this forum is not happy with the price. I think $19.99 is just about right, maybe even a bit too much. For example Icewind Dale got a remake and was put on Steam and that costs $19.99 and it is, in my eyes, no different to this."

Yes, $19.99 for a 14 year old video game with some updates is totally the same as making a new game with its own lore, rules (this is not D&D), assets, etc. from scratch.

Even more hilarity if IWD ends up being the better game.

I think I first saw VC previewed in this Japanese copy of Newtype, so this is pretty cool. Hopefully we'll get some good ports of bad Gundam games too.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ragequit posted:

The kickstarter price was $25 to get a copy. This is certainly going to cause some fun in the forums though:

"Yeah, I think I can safely say on this forum is not happy with the price. I think $19.99 is just about right, maybe even a bit too much. For example Icewind Dale got a remake and was put on Steam and that costs $19.99 and it is, in my eyes, no different to this."

Yes, $19.99 for a 14 year old video game with some updates is totally the same as making a new game with its own lore, rules (this is not D&D), assets, etc. from scratch.

Yeah, just from looking at the Steam page I can understand justification for the price. The game looks rad and that artwork looks like it must've been very labor intensive. And I guess Divinity:OS debuted for around the same price, correct? And did really well.

It just kinda blows my mind that there could be enough of a market for isometric RPGs that it could demand that kind of price in the Steam environment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of old school isometric games, Pillars of Eternity is up for pre-order now!

Just a weird heads up, it doesn't seem like there's any region lock on this game, so you can buy it from Russia Steam for 20 bucks.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/?cc=ru

Do your due diligence and double check that, but... :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Maybe Sega can convince Capcom into bringing Power Stone 2 to the PC, c'mon

All I want from Capcom is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Just let me dangan into free, is that so much to ask?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mutation posted:

Platinum PC ports here we go!

I've said it again and again, I would kill for a port of Bayonetta. Bayonetta 2 can come along too I guess, but I haven't played the original in years and I really want to play through it again without having to buy another 360 (I still have the disc copy of the game "in case" I ever got another 360).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

All I want from Capcom is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Just let me dangan into free, is that so much to ask?

This would benefit more from a Steam version than any other game mentioned.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It's nice to see Japanese developers/publishers slowly realizing that Western gamers use their PCs for things other than hentai VNs.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Divinity: Original Sin's success has pretty much cemented $40 as the go-to asking price for new CRPGs.

edit: I think it's a fair price.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I've said it again and again, I would kill for a port of Bayonetta. Bayonetta 2 can come along too I guess, but I haven't played the original in years and I really want to play through it again without having to buy another 360 (I still have the disc copy of the game "in case" I ever got another 360).

Just buy the Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U. It comes with the first game plus loads of extras and upgrades.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Drifter posted:

Just a weird heads up, it doesn't seem like there's any region lock on this game, so you can buy it from Russia Steam for 20 bucks.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/?cc=ru

Do your due diligence and double check that, but... :shrug:
It's also $20 on Russian GOG. Not sure of location is determined by your acc settings or IP.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Papercut posted:

Yeah, just from looking at the Steam page I can understand justification for the price. The game looks rad and that artwork looks like it must've been very labor intensive. And I guess Divinity:OS debuted for around the same price, correct? And did really well.

It just kinda blows my mind that there could be enough of a market for isometric RPGs that it could demand that kind of price in the Steam environment.

Agreed, but if the kickstarter was any indication, a hell of a lot of people still have interest in the genre. Obsidian asked for $1.1 million to make the game and got just shy of $4 million in 30 days.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Bayo 2 is never happening. Nintendo won't let anything escape their clutches.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rookersh posted:

Well, that and Vanquish. And Bayo. And Skies of Arcadia. Those would all be nice to.

I would do borderline illegal things for PC ports of those three. Yes please.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Woah. You can make money on the PC if you release good games. Who knew.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^6 - GOd business people are so loving dumb. If it's a decent game (with a lot of word of mouth positivity) and you suddenly have a market of millions of users OF COURSE you're going to sell like hot cakes.

Honestly if it's a good rpg then $40 seems like a fantastic price for it. Just because it uses a different art style than skyrim doesn't mean it's not worth just as much.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Ragequit posted:

Agreed, but if the kickstarter was any indication, a hell of a lot of people still have interest in the genre. Obsidian asked for $1.1 million to make the game and got just shy of $4 million in 30 days.

Obsidian has a pretty solid track record of making these types of games fun.

Trusting Bioware to make an old school RPG though :v: :allears:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tezzeract posted:

Trusting Bioware to make an old school RPG though :v: :allears:

Baldur's Gate 2 was a fine game until they remade it into the ground.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I bet if Capcom ever put Dragon's Dogma on PC it'd be way more successful than some of their recent titles.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mutation posted:

I bet if Capcom ever put Dragon's Dogma on PC it'd be way more successful than some of their recent titles.

I'd be disappointed in myself, but I'd fuckin' buy it in a heartbeat.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

C'mon Sega, just put all your old poo poo onto steam already. Even Sonic '06.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Why is $40 such an outrageous price for a brand new game by a top tier dev studio? It's not even that expensive, like at all.
$40 is basically a budget game price these days.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Why is $40 such an outrageous price for a brand new game by a top tier dev studio? It's not even that expensive, like at all.

People have been conditioned to associate AAA gaming with first- or behind-the-back- person visuals.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'd only be more successful if it is Dark Arisen but they replace that lame rear end intro music with the original, amazingly terrible one. :colbert:

King Vidiot posted:

I doubt Bayonetta 2 will ever be on anything but a Nintendo system anyway. That game's first party from what I understand.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
All i want is for Sega to port Resonance of Fate to PC, now that they've gotten a taste of the delicious PC Gamer Dollars. That's all i want.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Bundles. I blame bundles. (This is a joke, btw.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drifter posted:

People have been conditioned to associate AAA gaming with first- or behind-the-back- person visuals.

It's terrifying because this is likely true, god drat it.
People don't fully understand just how much work really goes into a game like this.
The lore and the art and the EVERYTHING is created from scratch.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

60$ is the go-to price for AAA releases (whatever that actually means). And those have less gameplay time and are (subjectively) generally a lot less fun than a well made RPG. What's the issue, exactly?

e;fb.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bayonetta 2 won't ever not be on Nintendo consoles, it was funded entirely by them. The Wii U's great anyway, get one nerds.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The issue is that you could kickstart it for $25 so this isn't fair!!! This isn't right!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mr E posted:

The Wii U's great anyway, get one nerds.
Over my future PS4's dead body.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Palpek posted:

Over my future PS4's dead body.

I keep telling myself I don't need a PS4 for just Bloodborne but I don't think it's going to work.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr E posted:

Bayonetta 2 won't ever not be on Nintendo consoles, it was funded entirely by them. The Wii U's great anyway, get one nerds.

Other than Bayonetta 1 + 2, what makes the Wii U "great"? I mean I guess if I had one I could go back and play No More Heroes, maybe the newest LoZ games, otherwise I don't see the point.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Drifter posted:

I think it's more that the genres that sell the best are the ones that you would expect to have the highest asking price. Look at the best-sellers lists for the past however many years, they are dominated by sports games (FIFA mostly), and 1st- or 3rd-person games (either RPG or shooter). I'm cheap as gently caress so I pay more than $20 for a game about once a year or so, so $40 for a niche game seems crazy to me. But as I said above, Divinity:OS set a precedent for this so I guess it's not that surprising.

King Vidiot posted:

Other than Bayonetta 1 + 2, what makes the Wii U "great"? I mean I guess if I had one I could go back and play No More Heroes, maybe the newest LoZ games, otherwise I don't see the point.

I don't have one, but there are more games than that that look fun. Mario is fun, W101 looks cool, the new X game looks cool. You can get the console for relatively cheap too ($200 refurb).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr E posted:

I keep telling myself I don't need a PS4 for just Bloodborne but I don't think it's going to work.

Yes you do. :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

:smith::respek::smith:

It's a necessity.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Having a PC and a Wii U means you get all the games. Not even blood borne will remain exclusive.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyways LEGO® Batman™3: Beyond Gotham released. It seems as great as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Having a PC and a Wii U means you get all the games. Not even blood borne will remain exclusive.

Yes it will. Bloodborne has the same type of deal that Demons soul's had. There is no chance Bloodborne will get a PC release.

That said, a single game isn't enough to get me to buy a PS4. At least when the Wii U was cheap and had lots of other good exclusive games when Bayonetta 2 came out.

• Locked thread