Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Didn't see this in the OP, hope it's OK to add.

Final Stand (not to be mixed up with Last Stand) is a free, lightweight martial arts game designed to emulate kung fu action movies. Played it a while back and it's pretty fun if you want a low-plot fighty game without the sheer crunch of Fight. Not much in the way of rules for actions outside combat (as those are the 'boring' bits in the movies it emulates) - you either have a skill and succeed, or you don't and can't do that action. e.g. you can't sneak into a guarded warehouse without the Intrusion skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
This is Umbra Turris. It is a table top wargame similar to Mordheim. There seems to be more customizability since your warband doesn't have a lot of restrictions beyond alignment. I've been on a generic miniatures war game kick lately and this is the most in-depth, full-fledged system I've found. It lends itself to campaigns and it feels a lot like building an rpg party. It's free and in English or Polish and there's also some cards you would have to print out.

I found this rules system after checking out some really cool minis(These pumpkin guys). They're not particularly cheap or anything but they look nice.

I also mentioned that I've been on a generic miniatures kick and Skulldred has been lots of fun for quick skirmishes. The system is still being worked on and the designer actually has version 3 being tested(The link is version 2.05). As it is, the system is pretty easy to completely unbalance but with a few houserules(specifically limiting armor and combat stats), it can be a nice tabletop diversion if your group is getting burnt out on whatever they play at the moment.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is indie horror games.

Base: Dead of Night, Hell for Leather, Pickets & Blinds, and The Legerdemain Betrayers.
BTA: Monsters and Other Childish Things, The Dreadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor, Little Fears Nightmare Edition, and Lacuna Part I.

Of those, I only know MaOCT, Dreadful Secrets, and Little Fears, but in my opinion they're all worth owning. MaOTC and Dreadful Secrets especially; they're pretty much the closest things to official Edward Gorey/Series of Unfortunate Events we're ever going to see.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So, does anyone know if Drive-Thru RPG's going to do that hidden pumpkin thing like last year, where pumpkin icons scattered around the website can be clicked to get free stuff?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I hope so, I got like all the white wolf games except the core book to play them with.
They have some freebies up now: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/featured.php?promotion_id=Halloween2014_RPG

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I hope so, I got like all the white wolf games except the core book to play them with.
They have some freebies up now: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/featured.php?promotion_id=Halloween2014_RPG

They've got an old Ravenloft adventure on there, and just added a great DCC adventure this morning.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm pretty bummed they're not doing the pumpkin search this year. :(

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Me, too. I especially liked that the sister sites(wargames vault, drive thru comics, etc.) Had their own treats. It's nice they're offering some freebies anyway but I liked hunting for pumpkins.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Chaosium has a 25% off Halloween sale today. On my phone so I can't check the specifics, but maybe you want some stuff, so check it out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any opinions on the newest Bundle of Holding? It's a series of world building books, which I'm rather interested in as a GM

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
How to Host a Dungeon is cool, as is Hamlet's Hit Points. I'm not familiar with the other books in the collection.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any opinions on the newest Bundle of Holding? It's a series of world building books, which I'm rather interested in as a GM

A Spark in Fate Core might interest you. It's free and you can readily apply the collaborative approach to any system, really.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Lulu.com is spamming me with cool deals. Currently free shipping until 11/11 (code HSQ2), and on thursday they say there'll be a BOGO deal. I just can't find anything cool on there.

Agon looks okay, something about Greek heroes trying to outdo eachother. Microscope is cool but I already have it. Grey Ranks is a Jason Morningstar game and probably cool but not that tempting. Plenty of OSR stuff but not very interesting.

What would you recommend to someone who likes lighter storygames?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Whitehack is supposed to be a pretty cool OSR game available thru Lulu, and the author links to this blog post which gives many Lulu recommendations.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
The latest Bundle of Holding is a second OSR bundle.

Standard PDFs:

-Dyson's Delves 1: A bunch of maps and adventures.
-Labyrinth Lord & Advanced Edition Companion
-People of the Pit: OSR Adventure.

Beat the Average:

-Death Frost Doom 2e: The first Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure (oh boy...)
-Lesserton and Mor: Giant sandbox campaign
-River Knife Trilogy: Three OSR (and Dungeon World!) adventures
-Scarlet Heroes: Neat OSR game based on playing with just one or two characters

Scarlet Heroes is a neat game, can't really comment on the others. Ends next Wednesday, November 19th.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Spincut posted:

-Death Frost Doom 2e: The first Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure (oh boy...)

The Fatal and Friends writeup is informative.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Lesserton and Mor is pretty good for a base of a sandbox "raiding the nearby ruins". You don't have a set map, it's largely randomly generated, giving a impression to the players of a huge, winding and complicated necropolis. Gnome Stew recommends it, along with Vornhiem.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I went in for that bundle instantly. LOTFP is ehhh, but Scarlet Heroes is really really good and Labyrinth Lord is as OSR as you can get.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The River Knife adventures are really good, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lulu is currently offering 35% off all print products if you use the code SAVE35 before December 2nd.

Stuff I can recommend: Encounter Critical (which is a must-own of you're a gamer of a Certain Age), Darker Dungeons if you like Basic D&D but want updated rules, The Story Games Names Project which is just a big book of names from various cultures, and pretty much anything by Johnstone Metzger.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lulu is currently offering 35% off all print products if you use the code SAVE35 before December 2nd.

Stuff I can recommend: Encounter Critical (which is a must-own of you're a gamer of a Certain Age), Darker Dungeons if you like Basic D&D but want updated rules, The Story Games Names Project which is just a big book of names from various cultures, and pretty much anything by Johnstone Metzger.

Looks like a good deal. Any other good rule set recommendations?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Looks like a good deal. Any other good rule set recommendations?

Montsegur 1244

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is more Fate stuff.

quote:

Adventurer! The Fated Fellowship, with help from our friends at DriveThruRPG, presents the Bundle of Fate +2, an all-new collection of DRM-free, non-watermarked .PDF ebooks that bring the popular Fate tabletop roleplaying rules to all kinds of new worlds and settings. For just US$8.95, you get all five titles in our starter collection (retail value $38):

The Day After Ragnarok - Fate Core Edition (retail price $13): Kenneth Hite's game of post-WWII Ragnarok apocalypse, where you fight serpent cultists, Spetsnaz troopers, and terrifying monsters.
Iron Edda: War of Metal & Bone (retail $15): Tracy Barnett's new Nordic-mecha fantasy setting of dwarven Destroyers, Runescribed heroes, and brave human warriors Bonebonded to giant skeletons. Will you dine with the gods in Valhalla, or dance with the dishonored dead?
The Ministry Initiative (retail $10): In JR Blackwell's secret-agent steampunk adventure game, you fight for Queen and Country against the House of Usher, the Phoenix Society, sky pirates, and other threats to the British Empire.
(As a convenience, we also include Evil Hat's Fate Core and Fate Accelerated Edition rulebooks, which are available as pay-what-you-want downloads from the Evil Hat website.)

And if you pay more than the threshold price of $18.95, you'll level up and get our complete collection of five bonus titles (retail value $74):

Base Raiders (retail $15): Every superhero and villain disappeared a year ago, and now "base raiders" explore their abandoned bases in search of trophies and tech. Includes new Strange Fate systems for base creation, superpowers, and changing the world.
Jadepunk: Tales from Kausao City (retail $10): Overthrow oppression in an original steampunk-wuxia world of Jadetech devices and kung fu action.
The Pirate's Guide to Freeport AND The Fate Freeport Companion (retail $29): Green Ronin's signature pirate-horror-fantasy city setting, detailed in a system-neutral Pirate's Guide, together with a Companion that brings Freeport into Fate Core.
Tianxia: Blood, Silk, & Jade (retail $15): Kung fu fantasy and epic wuxia adventure in the province of Jiangzhou, where wandering masters have the power to affect the fates of many.

Day After Ragnarok, Base Raiders, Tianxia, and The Pirate's Guide to Freeport are all really good.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Alas, I already own almost all of them, thanks to Kickstarter.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
yeah, this is a really good bundle. You should get one as an early Christmas gift to someone, even if you have most of the games.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Alas, I already own almost all of them, thanks to Kickstarter.

Yup. Literally the only one I don't already have from Kickstarter is The Ministry Initiative. I blame these forums.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Who likes FFG games? Who likes paying quarters-on-the-dollar for their stuff?

Duh, you do! Get over to their winter sale!

I just picked up enough $9 boxes of Dust Tactics terrain to finish my fall of Berlin table, and WHFRP3 and all the 40k RPGs are on sale. It's crazy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

moths posted:

I just picked up enough $9 boxes of Dust Tactics terrain to finish my fall of Berlin table, and WHFRP3 and all the 40k RPGs are on sale. It's crazy.

Yeah I dropped about 250 all told including shipping on Dust Tactics and now I own almost every single thing they make for both Axis and Allies. 32 boxes. Including shipping.

I have no idea where I'm going to put all this poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I'm kinda mad that the Dust stuff isn't 28mm, but it's not like a few building with 10' tall doors is going to wreck my day.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

moths posted:

Yeah I'm kinda mad that the Dust stuff isn't 28mm, but it's not like a few building with 10' tall doors is going to wreck my day.

Just pretend you're in new orleans

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

moths posted:

Oh man, this is a steal. I can grab the Player, GM, and Creature Vaults for WFRPG3, along with the Player's Guide, for only $40. Each book is individually $40, normally!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

They have the Black Crusade and Deathwatch collector's editions for $40. If you want a big leather bound book that comes with a huge 40K themed book sleeve or case, it's a steal.

The Deathwatch one comes in a big case too so I think that would hold the greater value.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The new Bundle of Holding is more Fate stuff.

Day After Ragnarok, Base Raiders, Tianxia, and The Pirate's Guide to Freeport are all really good.

Haven't read the others but Day After Ragnarok is really good. It's only weakness is that I wish there was more of it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Guess I can post this here as well, it might be of interest to some people:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Heads-up if you're in the UK: Amazon's Black Friday stuff has started and some X-wing stuff is on flash sale today. The transport was down to £20 and the E-wing was £6.50 but both sold out (:(). The Phantom and Defender are also getting discounted later on today (at 1:50pm for the Phantom and 2:50pm for the Defender).

e; Tantive discounted at 8:50pm. Might be more but the upcoming deals thing only goes 12 hours.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
New Bundle of Holding goes live in a sec:
Base: Lords of Gossamer and Shadow; Rocket Age; Uresia: Grave of Heaven
BTA: Nobilis 3E: The Essentials; Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine; Torchbearer

I dunno the base games at all, but Nobilis, Chuubo's and Torchbearer is a hell of a bundle right there. (I own all three, though, so I guess for me it'll be wait and see what else they add and maybe just do the base for once.)

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
LoGaS is Amber Diceless Roleplaying without the licensed setting.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Does it fix the stupid bits of ADRP (such as, fixed starting point count, then an auction for stats (relative pricing) then fixed pricing for all the character benefits)?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Nope!

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Rocket Age is the Dr Who: Adventures in Time and Space ruleset in a pulp sci-fi setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Doctor Who ruleset is a very breezy game and would probably fit pulp SF well. I have picked up Rocket Age several times at the FLGS but never bought it.

I've also really wanted Uresia for a while -- it's an S. John Ross' fantasy setting, originally for Big Eyes Small Mouth, made system-independent and greatly expanded.

This bundle is really tempting even though I've pretty much sworn off PDF RPGs. I just never use them...