Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

On a different note, rumor is IBM is dumping Flex and going to Cisco UCS. Oh boy...
So if I want to buy a power blade, it will work in my UCS blade chassis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

adorai posted:

So if I want to buy a power blade, it will work in my UCS blade chassis?

It'd need to be a Cisco UCS Power Blade I'd imagine, we'll know more soon...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

None of that sounds appealing. Like the idea of having Sourcefire FireSight line cards for the 6500/6800 chassis.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dark Helmut posted:

Just FYI you iced my coveted "poster of the week" with this post and several others equally as insightful.

Heh, thanks man.

Dark Helmut posted:

People are crazy. Allow me to post the resignation letter one of my consultants sent to EVERY MEMBER OF THE DEV TEAM at my client, without consulting me first. This was about 6 months after I started recruiting. I don't think I've posted this here, but take a long, long drink from this cup of crazy.

Crazy. My letter tells them when I'm leaving and thanks them for the career opportunities, full stop. Any discussion of transition plans or how I'm going to wrap up in my final weeks I leave to in-person verbal discussions. The letter is just something with dates and signatures on it for the employee file, as far as I'm concerned.

Mrit posted:

Does this also apply to the West Coast? I will be looking for a more system admin type job in the next year or so, but I grew up with the honest belief that ties were for weddings and funerals.
Are suits really desirable over here? I have never worn one to an interview, always went well.

Everything I've seen and read tells me that the west coast is a more casual environment, generally speaking. I'd research the company, look at their website, and even ask the person setting up your interview what the general dress code of the office is like and if a suit would be too much for the interview. I figure if they think less of me for the impertinence of asking a question, that would tell me everything I need to know about the company.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm working on a project to implement high availability and a DMZ to an EDI system that currently processes over 6 billion dollars worth of revenue through a spof with no firewall :v:

That actually sounds like fun :o:
If it's processing 6 billion dollars maybe you have some money to buy Netscalers or F5 Big-IP load balancers. Is it real time or batched stuff? The latter is probably easier to make redundant.

Unless you work for the government and you're processing state or federal level health insurance claims, in which case, you probably have no funding!

If it makes you feel any better, I work for healthcare IT. Some time ago we outsourced claims processing and statement printing for self pay or copays. Both partners we use are pretty god drat big, neither really heavily redundant.

I've only ever seen any level of redundancy when it comes to dealing with bank EDI systems, banks seem to have money to do stuff and things, shocker.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 12, 2014

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

It'd need to be a Cisco UCS Power Blade I'd imagine, we'll know more soon...

Ahh....jesus christ. If they make the blades large enough, and at a good price, we'll probably have to honestly consider this at some point. Which means I'll need to learn UCS after all.

Dark Helmut posted:

People are crazy. Allow me to post the resignation letter one of my consultants sent to EVERY MEMBER OF THE DEV TEAM at my client, without consulting me first. This was about 6 months after I started recruiting. I don't think I've posted this here, but take a long, long drink from this cup of crazy.
:psyboom:

What the...hell?! Is it this guy's first job, or something? Why would he not just talk with you and try to get reassigned if he's in over his head?

Though I'm in a similar situation now. Been doing AIX administration for 4 years, along with a good handful of other things, been at the place for 10. They started putting me on windows infrastructure and merger projects. Needless to say I'm in way over my head there, my usefulness doesn't extend beyond maybe publishing some apps on Citrix, or deploying them through SCCM, and working with some vendors and building some Windows servers. ADMT and Exchange, project management? Leave me the hell out of that. It was putting me in a very, very awkward position where I was having to ask for help from all sorts of people, and those people couldn't commit to dates or times. Our manager quit recently, and the new manager is barely approachable, doesn't really have answers as he doesn't know who does what.

I sent some nasty emails and declined further meetings, said we need project managers to assign appropriate resources, and I can't do that. PROBABLY on thin ice right now, but no one has said anything to me, and that was 2 weeks ago. Instead now they're bringing in a bunch of contract project managers to fill the gaps. I am still on some of the meetings, and the project managers delegate out work to me that I am capable of doing, and one of my coworkers took on some of the heavier microsoft infrastructure work.

I dunno. Point being, it's important to have a good relationship with your manager and open lines of communication.

It's done hell to my self confidence, my job might be changing on me, maybe I'm not keeping up. But at the same time, I have EMC calling me and booking reference calls with other organizations and such, regarding how I scripted a bunch of stuff dealing with one of their new products and the process we used to go live on the new platform.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 12, 2014

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I've only ever seen any level of redundancy when it comes to dealing with bank EDI systems, banks seem to have money to do stuff and things, shocker.

In my brief time in banking, the redundancy I saw was driven by the OCC's requirements. Gov't requirements fulfilled == all the money you're getting for this project.

Unrelated -- we're switching to SalesForce for tracking projects/tickets. Is there a way to templatize tasks? The powers that be have decided that all our code reviews will be in the form of salesforce tasks, so I have a *VERY* standard piece of language that needs to get smacked on there when I'm asking for a peer review. I already have it saved out as an email template (pulling from the fields that they created when I asked politely), so if it's not possible I can still copy/paste like a champ.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

If it makes you feel better, it sounds like they got terrible candidates.

Yes, God forbid I could be drat good at what I do and didn't put over 100 hours a week into honing my craft to the neglect of family and friends.

Nope, they had to be terrible and I can't just be the poo poo. Regardless of the fact that you don't know me or my background prior to pursuing IT, just a snap judgement call.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Ahh....jesus christ. If they make the blades large enough, and at a good price, we'll probably have to honestly consider this at some point. Which means I'll need to learn UCS after all.

I'd think of that as good news. UCS is pretty awesome.. Policy based server management and the tool you get out of the box to manage it isn't half bad either.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

1000101 posted:

I'd think of that as good news. UCS is pretty awesome.. Policy based server management and the tool you get out of the box to manage it isn't half bad either.

Yeah, it's definitely not bad. It's just...I'm on a team of 16 people or so. There are more or less 3 people that do x86 infrastructure, at the hardware layer. I sat through some UCS classes, at least am familiar with the terminology, like the fabric interconnect. I saw the UI, you build templates and can spawn a bunch of servers off it carved up out of the hardware in the box. It reminds me a lot of Power architecture in general, the concept of LPARs.

But unless I work with something on a regular basis, since I'm spread so thin, the knowledge will get lost. If we go to Power blades, if they actually come out, I'll need to probably argue a bit with the infrastructure folks to get the access I need, retrain, and stay familiar with it.

Like, how the hell does it work with HBAs and storage? Storage gets hooked up to the fiber interconnect, OR, you have storage in the chassis, I think. If it's external, how do you define the WWID and such of the "virtual" hbas? NPIV?
I need to know these things because of work I do on the OS side, I got scripts that create san snapshots, map them to the initiators, and toss them on a regular basis to spawn off application test environments for users.

So I'll need to ask the infrastructure folks for access, and actually do some work in there from time to time to stay fresh on it. Not sure how keen they will be on it, but me not having an understanding of the hardware would be dangerous.

I'm trying to even wrap my head around what IBM support would look like if they did this. Today you manage Power systems with an HMC, it dials home with hardware issues, and that's where you build out LPARs. Do hardware issues for Cisco Power blades now get supported by Cisco?
I wonder if this will be done under the OpenPower license, IBM wouldn't be involved at all, everything is made by Cisco. AIX would still come from IBM I imagine.

My world would definitely be turned upside-down by it, not necessarily bad, but a huge change as its managed totally differently.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 12, 2014

May 14, 2003

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Like, how the hell does it work with HBAs and storage? Storage gets hooked up to the fiber interconnect, OR, you have storage in the chassis, I think. If it's external, how do you define the WWID and such of the "virtual" hbas? NPIV?
I need to know these things because of work I do on the OS side, I got scripts that create san snapshots, map them to the initiators, and toss them on a regular basis to spawn off application test environments for users.

So I'll need to ask the infrastructure folks for access, and actually do some work in there from time to time to stay fresh on it. Not sure how keen they will be on it, but me not having an understanding of the hardware would be dangerous.

If you're askin' I'll answer!

The fabric interconnects can connect to your existing FC network via either FCoE or native FC. Modern fabric interconnect ports can be configured as either a native fibre channel port or native ethernet port and all you need to do after that is plug in the right optics.

You could plug storage direct into the chassis but you don't have to and I generally don't recommend you do so.

Blade WWNNs are defined via pools which can be baked into "service profile templates." When you instantiate a blade it pulls a WWNN out of the pool as needed (and it will follow the service profile when you move it to another blade.)

Blade WWPNs are also defined via pools and they can be baked into vHBA templates (which in turn can be baked into service profile templates.)

By default the fabric interconnect runs in NPV mode (in brocade parlance this is "access gateway" mode) so your upstream FC switch needs to support NPIV.

Everything in UCS can be tied back to a pool and/or a policy. Want to run a specific version of firmware or BIOS for your servers? Create a policy that encapsulates all of these into it. Want to give the QA team direct access to blades to power them on/off and get a KVM console? Easy enough through UCSM RBAC.

Here's a link to the python UCSM SDK: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37174 We're currently using this to push MAC addresses and UUIDs into provisioning tools.

Here's a link to some powershell stuff for UCSM: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37154 We're currently using this to actually build a new UCS domain from the ground up by feeding it an excel spreadsheet.

I love me some UCS and I've been working with it since UCS manager was in a beta for 1.0 so feel free to ask more questions.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

1000101 posted:

If you're askin' I'll answer!

The fabric interconnects can connect to your existing FC network via either FCoE or native FC. Modern fabric interconnect ports can be configured as either a native fibre channel port or native ethernet port and all you need to do after that is plug in the right optics.

You could plug storage direct into the chassis but you don't have to and I generally don't recommend you do so.

Blade WWNNs are defined via pools which can be baked into "service profile templates." When you instantiate a blade it pulls a WWNN out of the pool as needed (and it will follow the service profile when you move it to another blade.)

Blade WWPNs are also defined via pools and they can be baked into vHBA templates (which in turn can be baked into service profile templates.)

By default the fabric interconnect runs in NPV mode (in brocade parlance this is "access gateway" mode) so your upstream FC switch needs to support NPIV.

Everything in UCS can be tied back to a pool and/or a policy. Want to run a specific version of firmware or BIOS for your servers? Create a policy that encapsulates all of these into it. Want to give the QA team direct access to blades to power them on/off and get a KVM console? Easy enough through UCSM RBAC.

Here's a link to the python UCSM SDK: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37174 We're currently using this to push MAC addresses and UUIDs into provisioning tools.

Here's a link to some powershell stuff for UCSM: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37154 We're currently using this to actually build a new UCS domain from the ground up by feeding it an excel spreadsheet.

I love me some UCS and I've been working with it since UCS manager was in a beta for 1.0 so feel free to ask more questions.

Neat-o. Thanks - that is awesome.

What about redundancy? Like there are two fabric interconnects per chassis, often.

In the old world, your host has two HBAs. You zone both to your san through different switches, and each switch is wired up to a different SAN service processor, and then either use vendor specific multipathing like EMC's Powerpath, or generic MPIO to manage multiple paths to your storage. In the ESX world you define data stores, or in the AIX world volume groups ontop of hdiskpower devices.

UCS, how do you manage redundancy? Do you define two virtual HBAs with WWNN, each sourced from an HBA with a physical connection to each fabric interconnect, and then continue to manage multipathing from the hypervisor or OS?
What about 802.3ad\link agg\active passive network connectivity, same deal, handled at the OS\hypervisor layer?

Or does it have some sort of magic :psypop:

Edit: I recall a UCS emulator of some sort. Maybe I gotta download and mess with it. I don't think I'm using the right term here either. I think UCS blades don't have HBAs in that sense, mezzanines or VICs or something.

Mmm, probably beyond the scope of an SA post. I'll definitely need some training and will need to do a lot of reading if we go this route.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 12, 2014

May 14, 2003

You typically have 2 IOMs in the back of each chassis, 1 IOM is connected to 1 Fabric interconnect. So you effectively have A fabric and B fabric with respect to blade connectivity so you should be good there. What's nice is a pair of fabric interconnects could have multiple chassis plugged into it. One pair of fabric interconnects (depending on model) could manage say 160 blades for example and you can manage up to 4 pairs of fabric interconnects at no cost using UCS Central. That's basically one point of management and policy enforcement for 500ish blades in your environment.

Regarding redundancy:

I'm assuming you're looking at getting VIC 1240 or VIC 1280 cards in your blades (or as MLOM.) These are basically cards that let you carve up whatever network adapters and fibre channel adapters you may need. For example my ESXi hosts have 6 network adapters and a pair of FC adapters. Yeah they share the same 2 physical uplinks but it lets me use a standard vSwitch for management, a distributed vSwitch for my guests and iSCSI and a pair of uplinks are left over for my Nexus 1000v testing.

When you define your vHBAs you can pin them to either fabric for redundancy sake and you can continue to use whatever multi-path software you like (mpathd, powerpath, whatever.) You'll create a vHBA template which will have it's own WWNN and typically 1 port on each fabric with a WWPN.

From an FC perspective, typically the A fabric interconnect connects to your A SAN fabric, and the B connects to the B SAN fabric.

Ethernet may be a port-channel to multiple upstream switches but if you don't have support for VSS, vPC, MLAG, etc. then you can just do "MAC pinning" which behaves a lot like a VMware vSwitch. This basically means each blade MAC address is going to be "pinned" to a specific logical uplink to your uptream network.

With respect to blade redundancy you have a couple options. For FC you use traditional means like powerpath and for ethernet if your host OS doesn't have something built in you can enable fabric failover. This will move the vnics you create to the remaining fabric automatically if you lose a fabric interconnect. I generally don't do this for ESXi hosts but I'm going to use it for things like RHEL hosts.

Fabric interconnects can connect with upstream (northbound) switches using LACP/802.3ad. Blades themselves however won't be able to do this. This generally isn't a problem because you're either going to run VMware on the blade which has built in mechanisms (load based teaming is simple and effective for example) or you have the fabric failover option I mentioned previously.

Also you get to define your MAC pools, WWN pools and UUID pools yourself. This means you can pre-assign what you want blades to be and you can start stuffing metadata in your service profiles. This is tremendously helpful for pre-zoning, automated provisioning, etc. Also troubleshooting.

You can absolutely get a UCS platform emulator. It's basically an API complete/management interface complete tool to get familiar. You can find that here: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-37827 and we frequently use it to test python and powershell code before exposing it to customers/our environment. If it works there then good odds it'll work on real kit. The only thing it won't do is boot a blade but you can start to understand the relationship between templates and policies and how the API is structured at least.

Also I'm happy to answer any questions you may have on UCS so keep 'em coming.

edit: for the TL/DR crowd: yeah it's basically magic.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Hi IT goons!
I'm looking for advice on where to start to move into technical support-type work. I'm 25, and I've got extensive customer service experience in a wide variety of environments (retail, upscale F&B, hotels/hospitality), excellent communications skills, and a lot of practice troubleshooting enterprise software from the user side. I've worked alongside salespeople, accountants, inbound call centers, administrative types, and blue-collar manufacturing/maintenance crews. I think I'm looking for an introductory helpdesk/desktop support kind of gig. I don't have any real technical experience or certifications - at this point I'm basically the infamous "end user who knows just enough to be dangerous" but with a slightly better sense of caution. I can basically do the poo poo that any nerd can do with sufficient googling - install windows, boot into safe mode to scan for viruses or fix driver issues, swap hard drives/RAM, simple stuff really. I want to do more - there's a few specific topics I have learned a little bit about that I've found interesting, like virtualization, security, "the cloud", etc. (e:) I also took an introductory java class in college before dropping out (math major).

Should I start by studying for some certifications, or should I try to get a help desk gig where there's support for professional development? I'm in Chicago for at least the next few years, and I know the tech market here isn't as big as the coasts, but hopefully I can get a good start without having to move too far.

Salud!

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 12, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

CaptainJuan posted:

Hi IT goons!

Should I start by studying for some certifications, or should I try to get a help desk gig where there's support for professional development?

Salud!

You sound perfect for a Help Desk, do both. Pick up a Network+ study guide and begin learning networking. If you have a good grasp on that you'll already be ahead of many tier 1 Help Desk dudes. Have you ever built a PC? If not do you at least know what RAM looks like inside a case?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I've put in a little under a year in my entry level help desk position, performing a variety of tasks. I support ~150 users at a startup. My boss is pleased with my performance so far and is now nudging me towards a network focused role, which I'm totally stoked about. I want salary/responsibilities like Network Engineer or Technician or something similar.

My company is totally awesome and I have a wide variety of (obsolete/decommissioned ) hardware/software at my disposal. I also have as much time as I need provided my tickets get resolved in a reasonable timeframe.

What are some things I should concentrate on to push myself towards networkey stuff? I have a good understanding of the basics, but I want to get kinky.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

What the...hell?! Is it this guy's first job, or something? Why would he not just talk with you and try to get reassigned if he's in over his head?

He was making the transition from desktop to .NET dev, which would have been pretty great if he could have pulled it off. It was a great opportunity that I was proud of helping him get, until he poo poo the bed.

Incidentally I haven't spoken to him since, nor have I done any work for that client. So thanks, guy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

That actually sounds like fun :o:
If it's processing 6 billion dollars maybe you have some money to buy Netscalers or F5 Big-IP load balancers. Is it real time or batched stuff? The latter is probably easier to make redundant.

Unless you work for the government and you're processing state or federal level health insurance claims, in which case, you probably have no funding!

If it makes you feel any better, I work for healthcare IT. Some time ago we outsourced claims processing and statement printing for self pay or copays. Both partners we use are pretty god drat big, neither really heavily redundant.

It's been a fun project to work on. You're right, we'll be using some F5's for load balancing.

This project is going from all layers (web/app/data) on Sparc/Solaris with no redundancy (spof, no maintenance windows, etc) to creating a separate web layer for a dmz with perimeter servers and an f5 LB, app layer on IBM B2B sterling integrator, and data layer on Exadata.

It's all real-time data, and the users won't even notice there is going to be a change.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

gfsincere posted:

Yes, God forbid I could be drat good at what I do and didn't put over 100 hours a week into honing my craft to the neglect of family and friends.

Nope, they had to be terrible and I can't just be the poo poo. Regardless of the fact that you don't know me or my background prior to pursuing IT, just a snap judgement call.

Be more defensive.

But guys with one year of experience don't beat good candidates for senior level admin jobs, no matter how much they've "bootstrapped" themselves.

This isn't a judgment on you or your abilities. Really, it isn't. It's a judgment on theirs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

When you say Sterling... Has anyone ever worked with Sterling Connect:Direct? I've used it at my last gig but I'm confused why you'd actually need to use it over FTP.

I've been told there's enhanced logging, but it's not like I couldn't make some script that'd do the same in FTP, right?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

vas0line posted:

:words: Networking

Cisco CCNA

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Since we're (always) on the topic of resume's and I just posted about this big project, I'm wondering how would I best transfer this experience onto a resume.

The project is to provide high availability and a DMZ to an EDI environment processing over 6 billion dollars quarterly. Self-quoting for more details:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This project is going from all layers (web/app/data) on Sparc/Solaris with no redundancy (spof, no maintenance windows, etc) to creating a separate web layer for a dmz with perimeter servers and an f5 LB, app layer on IBM B2B sterling integrator, and data layer on Exadata.

I understand it's best to provide real numbers in resume bullet points (such as: Reduced cost by $X / Increased efficiency by Y%). This system processes revenue for reporting and analytics, but it's not necessarily generating revenue. Also, the system could go on the way it is with a single point of failure and no real security, so what we're doing is improving the infrastructure. How would this be translated that into "real numbers" for a resume?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Since we're (always) on the topic of resume's and I just posted about this big project, I'm wondering how would I best transfer this experience onto a resume.

The project is to provide high availability and a DMZ to an EDI environment processing over 6 billion dollars quarterly. Self-quoting for more details:

I understand it's best to provide real numbers in resume bullet points (such as: Reduced cost by $X / Increased efficiency by Y%). This system processes revenue for reporting and analytics, but it's not necessarily generating revenue. Also, the system could go on the way it is with a single point of failure and no real security, so what we're doing is improving the infrastructure. How would this be translated that into "real numbers" for a resume?

Unless you're in management or another area where you need to worry about "real numbers" for a resume, I think the infrastructure improvements are good enough on their own, but that's just me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Estimate the cost of the original system failing, say your new system prevents/guards against the potential loss of that amount.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Che Delilas posted:

Estimate the cost of the original system failing, say your new system prevents/guards against the potential loss of that amount.

Based on $6.7 billion per quarter, if this system goes down that's $3 million per hour that's not being processed

Now, this is for analytics and BI, it's not that the company is actually losing that money...

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 12, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

J posted:

Bolded part concerns me quite a bit. I'm in a similar boat as you and was considering using that service but not if it's going to be geared toward helpdesk stuff. Was that resume you posted the one you got from the service?

So, basically, I'm really bad about writing resumes. Like, I try and my brain just turns off. So I was hoping that something useful might get pulled out of me through the process. But as the process went on it was just help desk stuff getting pulled out. He was asking questions about how may tickets I was resolving and I didn't really want to answer those because it wasn't relevant. I just kind of gave up on the whole thing because it wasn't taking me in any kind of useful direction.

So the one I posted is based off the work in progress I got from R2I, but only very barely.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

FISHMANPET posted:

So, basically, I'm really bad about writing resumes. Like, I try and my brain just turns off. So I was hoping that something useful might get pulled out of me through the process. But as the process went on it was just help desk stuff getting pulled out. He was asking questions about how may tickets I was resolving and I didn't really want to answer those because it wasn't relevant. I just kind of gave up on the whole thing because it wasn't taking me in any kind of useful direction.

So the one I posted is based off the work in progress I got from R2I, but only very barely.

He works by going completely over the top on the details, and then trimming it down or versioning it into something presentable. And of course how many tickets you resolved daily is important...it's your resume

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

FISHMANPET posted:

If you don't have experience doing "what you want to do", then you need at least to document the experience you have kicking rear end at "what you did do" in order for someone to even consider taking a chance on you for what you want to do going forward.

The easiest way to make a transition from HD to desktop/sys admin is internally if that's an option. If it's not (which I think you said is the case), then you need to show that you kick rear end at what you do, leverage a great resume (including details, successes, metrics from your current job) and solid references (and maybe a good recruiter) to convince someone to take a chance on you. Certs don't hurt either.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just asked CDW to initiate full refund for the 200 copies of Symantec Endpoint that my boss ordered 4 months ago, before I started working here.

We'll see how that goes. In the meantime, I'll take my chances with Windows Defender. I wonder if there's a way I can have Spiceworks report any updated virus logs to me, that's as centralized as I need.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I hadn't been help desk for 2 years at that point though. My previous job (as a student worker) was helpdesk. I was not trying to get out of helpdesk, I was already out of help desk.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What do you consider to be a reasonable number of interviews for a position? I'm of the mind that

pre-interview with HR -> phone screen with hiring manager -> face-to-face interview with staff

should be enough, but I'm currently going through

pre-interview phone screen with HR -> semi-technical pre-interview phone screen -> technical phone screen with hiring manager -> 1st face-to-face interview with staff -> 2nd face-to-face interview with staff

and I'm told there will potentially be an informal follow up with the department head.

I really want the job, but I feel like at some point you're just getting jerked around right? Does anyone else ever feel that way? If I spent the past few weeks going through all the motions only to not get the position it's going to suck.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Morgan Stanley does that from what a friend told me

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
It either means the company is interviewing too many people or whoever is doing the scheduling is incompetent. A hiring manager who values a candidate's time will get things done in one day.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The people doing all these interviews have poo poo to do too, I don't think they'd still be putting themselves through interviewing you that much if you weren't being seriously considered.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I really want the job, but I feel like at some point you're just getting jerked around right? Does anyone else ever feel that way? If I spent the past few weeks going through all the motions only to not get the position it's going to suck.

As a lot of people say, the interview process is a two way street, and I have found that repeated interviews and multiple visits are highly indicative of how an org/company run. Most of us are working when looking for another job, so don't jerk us around with repeatedly asking we make time to talk/meet with you. Personally, I only take calls/interviews during the day if I can not talk before 9 or after 5 because I am just not able to sneak away and talk about another position easily. And to add to that, I don't want to keep taking time off to interview because that looks suspicious as well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FISHMANPET posted:

I hadn't been help desk for 2 years at that point though. My previous job (as a student worker) was helpdesk. I was not trying to get out of helpdesk, I was already out of help desk.

lol oh well in that case

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

When I interviewed at Facebook last year it went quick phone screen with recruiter -> 1st technical phone interview -> 2nd technical interview -> 3rd technical interview -> Onsite. I never made it 3rd screen unfortunately so I can't comment past that.

This year I interviewed for SRE at two high-profile startups in SF, where it was a bit more relaxed on the phone side: quick phone screen -> 35-45 min technical interview on skype -> Onsite. The onsites were 5-6 hours of interviews - I think I did at 2 whiteboard coding sessions at both of them and met with at least 10 people.

Fortunately I could do my phone screens after-hours since I was 2 hours ahead of the west coast and managed to time my onsites there with a vacation I had planned already. When I did interviews in-person in my hometown I did them over lunch usually.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

[sic] not keeping linkedIn up-to-date [/sic]

Eh, some employers have prying eyes so I keep it down to a minimum. I had a very bad experience with this once upon a time.

Though, what's shocking to me is that it's better for employers to find someone that's already doing what they need as opposed to training someone internally?

World's a changin' I suppose :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

[sic] not keeping linkedIn up-to-date [/sic]

Eh, some employers have prying eyes so I keep it down to a minimum. I had a very bad experience with this once upon a time.

Though, what's shocking to me is that it's better for employers to find someone that's already doing what they need as opposed to training someone internally?

World's a changin' I suppose :shrug:

Its been that way for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HatfulOfHollow posted:

What do you consider to be a reasonable number of interviews for a position?

I had four interviews for one job, two of which were technical interviews, the second of which was not communicated to me. I made a mistake by not putting my foot down there, but YMMV, depending on your willingness to put up with nonsense. If you feel that the interview process is taking too long, I'd suggest mentioning to the hiring manager to see if they can cut down on it.