Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tactical garter belt. At least there isn't a boob window.

Wasn't that the whole point? To show that she is crap. Even Wildcat said so.

I'm saying that I'm wondering how long that she will continue to be crap. FOr the next rest of the season? It was easy to wave away Thea and her six months of training because of the season break.

And ot be honest, I'm not exactly looking forward to watching Laurel beat up drunk people at bars - because those are the only people who couldn't kick her rear end - or watching anyone babysit her while she hits people in the head with her baton. I'm just curious how they're going to deal with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Not gonna lie. I'm loving that costume.

I just hope the writers can get their poo poo straightened out with her. Pretty much none of the issues with Laurel so far have been from Katie Cassidy or anything, so it'd be nice to see her strut her stuff with an actual, non-melodramatic storyline for once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think she's been fine this season.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
She's made some dumb decisions but at least she is doing something constructive even if her "I have an anger inside me" is just as grown worthy as Sarah's "darkness inside" speeches. Makes her a lot more interesting To justify her screen time

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Drifter posted:

I'm saying that I'm wondering how long that she will continue to be crap. FOr the next rest of the season? It was easy to wave away Thea and her six months of training because of the season break.

Seasons 1 and 2 had a five week midseason break between episodes 9 and 10. I assume that she won't debut the costume until after that, at which point she'll have had three or four months of intense training - slightly less than Thea had between seasons.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

zoux posted:

I think she's been fine this season.

Yeah, I like her a lot this time around. People hated on her so much last season that it's probably hard to see her any differently by now. v:shobon:v

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Anyone who doesn't like Laurel should watch Gotham. Barbara makes Laurel seem fantastic by comparison.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh daaaamnnn :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Numbers posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 had a five week midseason break between episodes 9 and 10. I assume that she won't debut the costume until after that, at which point she'll have had three or four months of intense training - slightly less than Thea had between seasons.

There's an article on Hitfix that as I read it says the costume will debut in episode 10. There's also another shot of her in the suit. The nightstick is a nice touch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't see her tits at all, what a loving terrible costume.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would like it better if we hadn't already had a superior version of the character on the show. Not that Sarah was especially good, but Laurel is only now finally beginning to edge away from awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It does remind me strongly of Mockingbird from SHIELD, but again I've only seen both costumes in promos rather than on the shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mockingbird has only worn street clothes on SHIELD, no?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno I don't watch it, I'm just going off the promo pieces they released last month.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Aphrodite posted:

Mockingbird has only worn street clothes on SHIELD, no?

She has a bodysuit similar to Black Widow's, but nothing like in the comics, really. No mask/goggles. I don't think she's even been referred to as Mockingbird yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Drifter posted:

And ot be honest, I'm not exactly looking forward to watching Laurel beat up drunk people at bars - because those are the only people who couldn't kick her rear end - or watching anyone babysit her while she hits people in the head with her baton. I'm just curious how they're going to deal with her.

She's really no worse of a fighter than Roy was a bad archer when he started training with Ollie (although he had some fight experience and the parkour stuff). Or for that matter than Ollie was when he started training with Slade and Shado (although his training can be described as "intensive"). My guess is there will be roughly six months that pass during this season, Laurel will spend all of it obsessively training, she'll still have flaws and screw up which will undermine her confidence or make Ollie bench her, and then she'll pull it all together by season's end for the big bad that comes just like Roy suddenly started popping arrows in Slade's soldiers.

So it will happen gradually. Fast for the real world but still plausible for the comic book show we're watching and based on the standards that have already been set for Ollie, Roy, and Thea. I mean, Ollie became a bad rear end in a year or so on the island and Merlyn became a League of Assasin super bad rear end in two years. Laurel can become a bad rear end in training in six compacted months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also they aren't going to spend five years developing Roy/Laurel/Thea into credible fighters, we just have to accept that through the power of comic book magic they become ultimate badasses by taking a summer school course.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, we just need to accept that everyone in our comic show takes the fast course to master. I actually think it's good that the show doesn't start them all off as prodigies. Laurel is pretty established as an amateur without much skill just like Ollie, Sarah, and Roy were when they started. But she's going to fast track to expert like they all did.

To be honest, I find Thea's transformation harder to swallow than Laurel's upcoming one. But that's just because we went from Thea being a mess to her being a bad rear end with no in between. At least with Laurel we're seeing some of the steps, although they'll naturally have to be rushed.

That's not a complaint with Thea, though. I buy it. I'm just saying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thea is actually still awful when they don't use a stunt double.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey now she killed the hell out of that vase.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

STAC Goat posted:

So it will happen gradually. Fast for the real world but still plausible for the comic book show we're watching and based on the standards that have already been set for Ollie, Roy, and Thea. I mean, Ollie became a bad rear end in a year or so on the island and Merlyn became a League of Assasin super bad rear end in two years. Laurel can become a bad rear end in training in six compacted months.

There's a pretty big difference between spending your nights taking boxing lessons/getting into streetfights and literally fighting for your life while people try to kill you.

Roy's a little different because he grew up on the streets, man. So there was already a base of "streetsmarts" knew how to take and throw a punch, etc. He learned focus and patience from Oliver more than anything.

Thea's deal seems way more about how it changed her as a person, not that she's now ready to start fighting super soldiers by herself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oracle posted:

Hey now she killed the hell out of that vase.

Eventually.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but Laurel doesn't need to get to Ollie or Sarah levels. She only needs to get to Roy level. Or even Thea level. She just needs to kick a couple of random thug asses. Arrow is good with levels. Laurel only needs to get to one of the early levels before some crisis forces Ollie to accept her as Canary. She doesn't need to go one on one with Ollie, Slade, or Merlyn and win. She just needs to get to like Roy or Ravenger level.

In fact, depending on where they go with the story her villain parallel in the "big fight" could end up being Thea.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm loving the detail on the costume. Stylistically it really does seem like the sort of thing that the character Laurel would wear.

I'm probably never gonna love those wigs. :v: She already has blonde hair goddamn it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn't BC like a top ten fighter in the DC universe? I'm just asking because that reminds me of it, not that I think the show should cleave closely to those rules or whatever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Back when I was reading (like 10 years ago) she was way better than Ollie and one of the best in the world, yeah. Obviously Laurel ain't gonna be that.

Although, part of the reason Black Canary is so good is because she trained with great fighters and it seems like with the way they had Nyssa warm on her they MIGHT be setting up a deal where Laurel could run off to train with her for a break as Nyssa tries to honor Sarah's memory and help her sister. Sadly I imagine that happening after a fatal Quentin heart attack.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 12, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't read comics but I feel like every other DC character I look up is "One of the greatest martial artists in the world". They sure seem to like their fightin' dudes/ladies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, they do a lot of fighting.

But Canary (again, back when I was reading) was legit one of the best in the world. Like "kick Batman's rear end" good. Ollie comparatively was never really up that high if I remember right. They made him a much bigger bad rear end for the show.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

Isn't BC like a top ten fighter in the DC universe? I'm just asking because that reminds me of it, not that I think the show should cleave closely to those rules or whatever.

BC and Ollies fighting abilities are weirdly switched where in the comics Green Arrow is a competent unarmed fighter but ain't gonna be taking on Batman or Deathstroke in a fistfight and come out ok without his bow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

VDay posted:

I don't read comics but I feel like every other DC character I look up is "One of the greatest martial artists in the world". They sure seem to like their fightin' dudes/ladies.

It's more or less like that in both DC and Marvel. Every elite fighter and all of the smartest people on earth are either superheroes or villains.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Drifter posted:

This season she'll be crap, next season she'll get skilled but be alcoholic again, and in the last season she'll be skilled and sober but inexplicably run over a kitten every time she gets into a car.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

This season she'll be crap, next season she'll get skilled but be alcoholic again, and in the last season she'll be skilled and sober but inexplicably run over a kitten every time she gets into a car.

These kittens BROKE THE DEAL!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Actually Green Arrow is super or get's super competent in hand to hand fighting in the books. I am super hoping with the casting of Lady Shiva, that they follow the Arc in the older books where she shows up and just basically almost kills Oliver but leaves him alive so he can go get more training, but instead of it being Oliver it'd be great if it was Laurel, mainly because we could possibly get Richard Dragon in the series and that would be pretty great.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 12, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lady whatnow? Since when did she get cast?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Lady whatnow? Since when did she get cast?

I think he meant Katana.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Racist :japan:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the One Year later arc Ollie decided he had to rebuild himself so he hired the best of the best to teach him new techniques. When that didn't work he hired the guy who taught Deathstroke everything he knows about killing. I'd love to see him show up in the series since they've heavily mined Winnick's run for other plots.

Natas.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

STAC Goat posted:

Well, they do a lot of fighting.

But Canary (again, back when I was reading) was legit one of the best in the world. Like "kick Batman's rear end" good. Ollie comparatively was never really up that high if I remember right. They made him a much bigger bad rear end for the show.

Psssh that only puts her near Wesley Willis' level.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

zoux posted:

They are still doing origin stories. She has a bunch of time to move up relative to others, and if the show goes on for another couple of seasons it's entirely possible she'll be better than Ollie hand to hand (since she doesn't look like she's going to be wasting time learning to shoot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Her choice of weapon makes me worry for a certain other cast member.

• Locked thread