Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Since Flash had a publicly known identity for a long time in the comics I'm hoping they're going in a direction where all this business with Iris makes him realize that keeping his identity a secret is dumb and he goes public. I think that would be a more interesting/fresh take on things anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Deadpool posted:

Holy poo poo it's two people that love her trying to not get her involved in some potentially dangerous situations. There's nothing wrong with that. Shut up.

This is not an empty quote.

So next week, Barry needs to throw a Mach 1 punch. They're upping his speed, looks like. So far he's been hitting 650~700 mph at top speed, now they're looking to go 10% higher. What's the over/under on him needing to hit 1,000 mph by the end of the season?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Escape velocity by season 2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know Iris actually is murdered because she knows who the Flash is.

Maybe Joe and Barry have read some interdimensional Flash comic books.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Since Flash had a publicly known identity for a long time in the comics I'm hoping they're going in a direction where all this business with Iris makes him realize that keeping his identity a secret is dumb and he goes public. I think that would be a more interesting/fresh take on things anyways.

Actually, going public with his identity would be a perfect thing to do with season three. Give them time to establish the superhero tropes, and then push past it.

Aphrodite posted:

You know Iris actually is murdered because she knows who the Flash is.

Even if Barry didn't talk in his sleep, she'd still be a target.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Iris lied to the Flash when she said she was doing this blog for Barry, because when Barry's like "I want to move on with my life, this is hurting me" she's like "No, we can't be friends anymore then".

She's doing it for her own satisfaction to feel important because she has a crappy job, lives with her dad, hasn't gotten that degree yet, and has no prospects.

greatn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 12, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

She's doing it for her own satisfaction to feel important because she has a crappy job, lives with her dad, hasn't gotten that degree yet, and has no prospects.

What do you mean no prospects? She's working at a coffee shop already so she's ahead of all the other journalism majors in her classes!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

I'd bet money that this line was as much about motive as it was about irony and character.

I'm wondering what he really means when he says he "wants back what was taken from (him.)" He lets everyone assume its his legs and/or STAR Labs but we know this is all just a cover.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What's the over-under on when Iris figures out Barry's alter-ego? I feel like it won't be too long after the crossover or during the climax at the earliest and by the end of the season at the latest

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm wondering what he really means when he says he "wants back what was taken from (him.)" He lets everyone assume its his legs and/or STAR Labs but we know this is all just a cover.

Wells is actually Wally and he really wants to be the Flash again. I was really hoping the new Zoom was Wally for loving up the timeline in the comics.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Xelkelvos posted:

What's the over-under on when Iris figures out Barry's alter-ego? I feel like it won't be too long after the crossover or during the climax at the earliest and by the end of the season at the latest

Depends on when the Reverse Flash/Zoom episode is happening. I'd guess the identity reveal and the Iris/Barry/Thawne triangle coming to a head will be about the same time.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Warmachine posted:

+ Lex Luthor

Maybe I missed something but this is the only thing I don't understand in your list, would you mind explaining this?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Clancy Brown (aka Rawhide) voiced Lex Luthor in every DCAU production that matters.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Random Stranger posted:

What do you mean no prospects? She's working at a coffee shop already so she's ahead of all the other journalism majors in her classes!

As a former journalism major, I can attest that this is 100% accurate.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Oh my god....

How did I only just realize that the obvious time traveler is using the false name H. Wells.

Wonder if his middle initial is G.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Almost certainly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, I've been calling him Harrison G. Wells the whole time.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Senerio posted:

Yeah, I've been calling him Harrison G. Wells the whole time.

I think the question is:is he *the* H G Wells or just *an* H G Wells.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

Iris lied to the Flash when she said she was doing this blog for Barry, because when Barry's like "I want to move on with my life, this is hurting me" she's like "No, we can't be friends anymore then".

She said she was doing the blog for Barry when she met the Flash. Meeting the Flash changed her motives for the blog. She then explained to Barry that she was doing the blog to let people know about the Flash. Unless she's come unstuck in time, she didn't lie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HERAK posted:

HG Wells was a woman.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I doubt Barry's going public this season - we kicked off with him telling Ollie, and then Ollie reminding him, to "wear a mask." Unless the crossover puts them at such great odds that he totally rejects the philosophy...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

HG Wells was a woman.

Wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HERAK posted:

When the HG Wells time travels he hangs out with Superman. He doesn't have time for some second stringer like the Flash.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Aphrodite posted:

HG Wells was a woman.

man warehouse 13 was... hella watchable :smith::respek::smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nope

Man, I should get around to watching the last Season of Warehouse 13 eventually.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ville Valo posted:

I doubt Barry's going public this season - we kicked off with him telling Ollie, and then Ollie reminding him, to "wear a mask." Unless the crossover puts them at such great odds that he totally rejects the philosophy...

I think a quick update on Oliver's life should convince Barry that Oliver is not the person to take advice from with regards to secret identities.

Dexo posted:

Nope

Man, I should get around to watching the last Season of Warehouse 13 eventually.

There's literally no way a sci-fi original series is better than Time After Time, the movie in which HG Wells played by Malcolm Mcdowell has to travel in time to modern day San Francisco to stop Jack the Ripper. That's not even arguable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

boom boom boom posted:

There's literally no way a sci-fi original series is better than Time After Time, the movie in which HG Wells played by Malcolm Mcdowell has to travel in time to modern day San Francisco to stop Jack the Ripper. That's not even arguable.

Jack the Ripper played by David Warner. The movie is incredible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

boom boom boom posted:

I think a quick update on Oliver's life should convince Barry that Oliver is not the person to take advice from with regards to secret identities.

Considering I haven't seen it, yes there is very much a way.

Also subjectivity.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rocksicles posted:

Escape velocity by season 2

I love how this has been paced and his growth in capability has been doled out. God this show is so fun.

I don't get all the objections about the melodrama with Iris and poo poo. It's less riveting than Barry running across the Central City bay and saving the city and poo poo but dang, it's not something to get bent out of shape over either.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I don't know who those other people are, but they certainly aren't H. G. Wells!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't get all the objections about the melodrama with Iris and poo poo. It's less riveting than Barry running across the Central City bay and saving the city and poo poo but dang, it's not something to get bent out of shape over either.

Mainly because it's the saaaaaaaaaaaaame melodrama that's ALWAYS there and in a show that's otherwise mostly unique and fun, man it's just fuckin' lame.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yes but it's a show on the CW, there's going to be a certain amount of that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I want to mention one thing that this show does over Smallville: Barry's regular clothing. It's just so... normal, whereas Smallville had Clark in a mash of red and blue like ALL the time, outside of suits and "the blur" getup.

Good job, show!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Don't really care what their actual motivations are for protecting Iris, but it was kind of annoying for the writers to have everybody talking about how it could put her in danger (a valid reason to stop) but then apparently forget their motivation when they actually confront her. Stop just because is not as compelling as stop cuz you'll die.

But whatever, that stuff isn't really why I watch the show and as long as they give me enough super heroey stuff I'll be happy. This episode was a little lacking in that category, unfortunately.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Klungar posted:

I don't know who those other people are, but they certainly aren't H. G. Wells!

Clearly H.G. Wells is a time lord, and these are all different regenerations

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Drifter posted:

Joe's still cool, mostly. He just wants her to be safe - he even told Barry that, and wanted to talk to Iris just at a poor time -, but Barry's a loving little kid rear end in a top hat. ALMOST as bad (but not nearly) as the current reigning champion retard Oliver Queen.

I don't get how you can think Joe's reasoning is cool and then poo poo on Barry when Barry actually wants to tell Iris and just isn't out of respect for Joe. He's loving up in convincing her to stop and using bad arguments I figured because he has no real personal conviction in it and is basically making it up as he goes along, and just not doing a terribly good job of it. Like, he hasn't sat down and gone "she shouldn't do it for x, y and z reasons and when I talk to her I should point out all these facts". He wants to tell her and when it comes to talking to her about it, he's getting in his own way and just doing a terrible job of it. I hope.

Regardless of that though, when he and Joe were talking this episode Barry opined that the only to get her to stop reporting on or chasing the Streak was to tell her the truth, Joe didn't immediately shut him down, but realized he really wants to tell her. More importantly, he didn't get angry at him about it or anything. The conversation shot off on a tangent at that point, but it makes me hopeful that Iris will get in on the secret soon because it looks like Joe is slowly coming around to the idea.

Drifter posted:

Mainly because it's the saaaaaaaaaaaaame melodrama that's ALWAYS there and in a show that's otherwise mostly unique and fun, man it's just fuckin' lame.

Yea, the show outside of the Iris stuff just revolves around fun hijinx and superheroics where all the cast get to help him out or interact with him in cool ways because they're in on it, where with Iris it just goes the opposite direction and it feels like an anchor because it's going against the direction the rest of the show is headed.

For me though I think I've had my fill of it on Arrow too, where it makes Oliver come off as incredibly dense and dickish regarding Thea after a while. I just don't want to get that same feeling after a while in Flash too, because I'm enjoying Flash a lot more than Arrow despite Arrow having a lot more "holy poo poo, gotta see what's happened next" moments thanks to end of episode stingers and well they connect to the next episode through the flashbacks and what not. I actually got burnt out on Arrow after marathoning the first two seasons and just want Flash to be a lot more fun and less melodrama because I've had my fill of it in Arrow, even if it's mostly because I ploughed through two seasons of it quickly.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Iris's blog is just her writing about articles about the Streak. Why would any super villain care about that? It has less credibility than villains going after Peter Parker because he takes Spider-Man photos.

edit: finish your drat dissertation, Iris

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

hangedman1984 posted:

If the season finale starts with Thawne opening a fob watch and becoming Wells, I'll automatically love it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hangedman1984 posted:

Inventor of The Time Machine and a Time Lord? Definitely Rassilion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hiddenriverninja posted:

Iris's blog is just her writing about articles about the Streak. Why would any super villain care about that? It has less credibility than villains going after Peter Parker because he takes Spider-Man photos.

edit: finish your drat dissertation, Iris

Have you never studied the case of Peter Parker v Spider-Man? C'mon, man.

• Locked thread