Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

darkgray posted:

Did I miss when they explain why Tooru and Akari aren't always in Saboteur mode when they fight? Seems more ... efficient.

Well seeing as they've never explained anything at all about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It sounds pretty ridiculous going by how the manga described it in like the third chapter;

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I always equated their transformation with self-hypnosis and intense concentration, like Jin-ei's "I. AM. STEEL!" technique from early RuroKen.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Shocking Truth!

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

darkgray posted:

Did I miss when they explain why Tooru and Akari aren't always in Saboteur mode when they fight? Seems more ... efficient.

Don't they need to eat like pigs afterward? And sleep like the dead?

I seem to recall something from Season 1 where they need to eat more and sleep more in order to recover after using Iron-Blood mode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Was Frederica eating a conch whole :gonk:

Oh god you can hear the crunching sounds aaaaaaa

They do such a good job at showing how inhuman Frederica and Niva are despite looking human. Both of them chowing down when the real humans are talking to creepy boy.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 12, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Was Frederica eating a conch whole :gonk:

Oh god you can hear the crunching sounds aaaaaaa

They do such a good job at showing how inhuman Frederica and Niva are despite looking human. Both of them chowing down when the real humans are talking to creepy boy.

Frederica is the fuckin' best.

I liked the part where she found out about the tournament and was like "gently caress yes, I get to kill poo poo again!" Then she got used as a decoy and both her and me were like :argh:.

I wasn't expecting Guy to take Niva, so that was an interesting development. I guess Guy is taking a more active role in things? Ought to be interesting. Also, Gillette has been brainwashed and gone full evil, when Vivi finds out she is going to freak the gently caress out. I can't wait for the next episode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wasn't expecting Guy to take Niva, so that was an interesting development. I guess Guy is taking a more active role in things? Ought to be interesting. Also, Gillette has been brainwashed and gone full evil, when Vivi finds out she is going to freak the gently caress out. I can't wait for the next episode.
I was dissapointed but I dont think it'll last. Niva looked like she was going to be a fun addition to the team given her interactions with Chaika.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Frederica is the fuckin' best.

I liked the part where she found out about the tournament and was like "gently caress yes, I get to kill poo poo again!" Then she got used as a decoy and both her and me were like :argh:.

Agreed.

It seems like they're nearing the climax of whatever plan is in motion, and so things are starting to move more quickly, which means more of Guy showing up to direct things as needed. I'm not yet sure how Niva fits into the whole situation or the plan, but I'm sad that we won't have anymore Chaika-Niva conversations if she does leave. That bit about Niva and her/its humanity was just so adorable.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Calling it now. Guy is the old Emperor somehow re-constituted as a young boy.

We have Black Chaika's now. Red-White-Black. I really am hoping for a Yellow next.

Vivi is going to complete her Chaika conversion when she finds Gillett and realizes he's evil now.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Given the abilities he displayed in the flashback, I'm not sure why Guy even needs a bunch of Chaikas (Chaiki? I don't know Russian) to do his dirty work for him.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dzhay posted:

Given the abilities he displayed in the flashback, I'm not sure why Guy even needs a bunch of Chaikas (Chaiki? I don't know Russian) to do his dirty work for him.

If mind control was easy, there wouldn't be much point to the rest of the story, so there's probably a cost to using it. We've never seen him touch anything and he can phase through walls, so I don't think he can drag a coffin around on his own.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they said somewhere this is ending in concert with the LNs, right? Or am I making things up? They're getting into crunch time if so, since there's only a few episodes left.

also chaika and niva talking was a surreal experience

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Frederica eating now holds the top two moments in the series.

Chaika and Niva talking is a close third though.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

:haw:: Niva have personality!

:geno:: ...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sindai posted:

Frederica eating now holds the top two moments in the series.

Chaika and Niva talking is a close third though.

Excuse me, but I beg to differ.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

We have separate categories for Chaika and Frederica though.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Well, Hartgen is apparently Big Boss.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's also pretty clearly dancing on strings as much as anyone else. I also think that those Chaikas we always see with him are other Chaikas that the True Black Chaika in the back has been brainwashing into her servants or something. God knows what Guy's game is though, aside of Gaz's return.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like Frederica going back to her old masters form. It seems she subconsciously channels her personality because she's far more composed in it, she even gets a little accent. Also Touru's life is suffering, his sister on one side saying nonsense and Frederica on the other constantly tempting him to form a contract. Guy has the gift of tuning out everything they say.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Well, Hartgen is apparently Big Boss.

Niva is his Metal Gear.

The third black Chaika threw me off. No idea what her game is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Niva is his Metal Gear.

The third black Chaika threw me off. No idea what her game is.

She seemed suspiciously like the Blue Chaika, except that she didn't recognise our heroes enough.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like Frederica going back to her old masters form. It seems she subconsciously channels her personality because she's far more composed in it, she even gets a little accent. Also Touru's life is suffering, his sister on one side saying nonsense and Frederica on the other constantly tempting him to form a contract. Guy has the gift of tuning out everything they say.

adult frederica is badass

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, come to think of it, what if Layla got the Gilette treatment? We didn't see her die onscreen, did we?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, come to think of it, what if Layla got the Gilette treatment? We didn't see her die onscreen, did we?

Different VA. There are also a lot of Chaikas, so why save her? She still gets to sing during the ending.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Different VA. There are also a lot of Chaikas, so why save her? She still gets to sing during the ending.

She's smart, manipulative, a talented chemist, and almost managed whatever the Gaz Empire remnants are trying to do with Hartgen last season (the fact that she was doing it as a 'gently caress you' to Gaz is probably irrelevant). We already know Guy likes to scout that kind of talent. You're right that the VA difference probably means the theory's wrong, but if it had been right, it would have been pretty workable.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

She's smart, manipulative, a talented chemist, and almost managed whatever the Gaz Empire remnants are trying to do with Hartgen last season (the fact that she was doing it as a 'gently caress you' to Gaz is probably irrelevant). We already know Guy likes to scout that kind of talent. You're right that the VA difference probably means the theory's wrong, but if it had been right, it would have been pretty workable.

I understood Gilette treatment as saving and brainwashing her, taking away the smart and manipulative characteristics.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I understood Gilette treatment as saving and brainwashing her, taking away the smart and manipulative characteristics.

Depends how heavy-handed the brainwash is. Gilette didn't lose his combat skills, at least.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The new opening has Tooru lookin' pretty bad rear end, I like it!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When did this happen?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Jackard posted:

When did this happen?

In the most recent episode?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

glomkettle posted:

In the most recent episode?
??

Could you go into more detail? When did she assume a form/accent different from her regular ones?

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Jackard posted:

??

Could you go into more detail? When did she assume a form/accent different from her regular ones?

When she was ostensibly teaming up with Akari as a pair in the tournament, she took the form of her old master.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Jackard posted:

??

In the scenes where she was fighting alongside Akari.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, I was one episode behind without realizing it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I like murderlolis as much as the next guy, but Adult Frederica is where it's at.

Also goddamn Akari calm down with the sexual tension. That said, for her character I like how she was somewhat ambivalent about Frederica asking what she wants re: starting a war again.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Everyone has their kinks, Akari's just involves taxidermy and BDSM.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
I personally don't think Federica is tempting Tooru with the Dragoon contact so much as recognizing his inherent character.

He really *isn't* a Saboteur. He is both far too righteous and far too invested in fighting--he really is more of a Cavalier than a Saboteur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We don't really know what Saboteurs were like. We just have the job description from Toohru.
Like back in Season 1's floating fortress, if Toohru was a "real" saboteur", was he supposed to stab Akari instead of sparing her?

Keep in mind Shin is working for the bad guy so he might be full of poo poo on what a real saboteur is like, while Frederica is just saying things to screw with Toohru.

• Locked thread