Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Because I honestly can't tell who is serious on these forums any more, is that dude honestly having a meltdown because someone said Harry Potter turned out ok even though he was abused? Or is it one of those ironic things to make fun of adults who read Harry Potter books in the first place?
It was in response to this diamond of poo poo:

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Like Harry I think the youth of today need to stop blaming their parents and whining about how they were mistreated, unloved, or didnt get that pony. It's best to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and decide that your future is on your own shoulders. Harry did it so can you.
Out of context, it doesn't look so bad, but it's specifically about real-world child abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Maybe if when you have breakdowns and cry because someone doesn't understand how your own child abuse affected you in a thread about a fantasy novel set in a magical universe it's time to step away from the computer and get more professional help.

Edit: It sucks it's happening to that poster but maybe a Harry Potter thread isn't the place to start discussing your own childhood problems.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Because I honestly can't tell who is serious on these forums any more, is that dude honestly having a meltdown because someone said Harry Potter turned out ok even though he was abused? Or is it one of those ironic things to make fun of adults who read Harry Potter books in the first place?

It's SomethingAwful. It literally does not matter which is the case, the man is going to get mocked incessantly either way and likely by different people for both reasons.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Whom the guy will then also laugh at in response. Which level of irony are we at now? Triple? Quadruple irony?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Harry did it so can you" is probably the most wonderful piece of advice I've ever seen in this forum.

Remember kids, if a make believe wizard can do it, you can too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otto Von Jizzmark sounds like the kind of person you can trust when it comes to child psychology.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
With goons it's always worse than the most awful worst case scenario you can think of.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It was in response to this diamond of poo poo:

Out of context, it doesn't look so bad, but it's specifically about real-world child abuse.

Yeah, in context, that poster honestly has the right to be kinda annoyed. The other guy suggested that since Harry Potter, who is a wizard, didn't have tons of issues from being treated like an animal, anyone who went through the same thing should be inspired and learn to get better. :unsmith:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Child abuse is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for families to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the child than on the parents. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Child abuse is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for families to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the child than on the parents. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Dark!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Thank you friend.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Talby
Nov 28, 2002

Davfff posted:

well here in its called where i grew up we called it thats so weird we call it imagine going into a store and asking for a

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Masterful.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thank

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

:eyepop:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Gotta post this to the Quote thre--

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
In the midst of a debate in the EVE Online thread on the acceptability of doxxing other players:

Digital Ebola posted:

I really didn't want to engage on the topic but I can never stop myself from making horrible posts. For one, I'm not sure if that post was sincere or not, but yes, the meta functions on a completely different level. People play rough. Someday, I might be able to tell all about it, when this game is dust and we've moved on. There are battles going on that people never read or hear about. A battle of wits that I play every drat day, whether I want to or not because the meta doesn't ever shut off or take a downtime.

I won't go into too much about the Manny thing. It happened, I apologized. There is a narrative that everyone likes and there is what happened. In either narrative, I made the mistake. It was a great game of chess and I literally picked up the chess board and threw it at my opponent after I had already won. Was Manny in or out? To my knowledge, he wasn't in, but that didn't matter, because I went to Okcupid, picked out the unsecured profile that flagged on a Google search and waved it around. It took months to get him. Months. Picked up the case several times, sat it back down. Waited for data. It took coordination and it took saving every scrap of info I could find and then I had to wait for that Eureka moment, which doesn't come as easily as one would think. It was a massive amount work for not just me but many others. The decision to execute a Titan is not something we make lightly. It had to be sure and certain. It was and I won against an opponent that probably has more meta experience that most. I wanted people to know it and I'm pretty certain he understood that about me and that was my downfall to lead to such a mistake.

A wise man once told me that big dogs don't bark. I try not to these days. It sometimes sucks because people don't see the real victories very often. They also don't get to see the human side very often either. You think it's all google and ban lists? Try frantically trying to find a missing Vio after the Boston bombing. Or the random suicide watch that happens and people are desperate to find out if someone is okay. I won't even begin to talk about 2012 but let me say, I was as close to broken as one could ever be and we still managed to do good works through it all, as many senior SA mods can attest. And I still relive that night and the days that follow in my head. And the conversations before. And deal with a certain emptiness every morning while I have coffee before work.

I was asked by someone to keep Goons safe. It sounds silly because it's a video game but it's a video game where the strong survive, the weak crumble and where acting, lies, treachery and deceit are perfectly legal. Unfortunately, until that changes, there will some rear end in a top hat working that angle and someone like me there to try to catch it.

If you are worried about the meta, don't play it. If you are worried about your information, then don't post it on publically available services or participate in social networking. It's that simple. I'll do my best to not bark about it and the Manny thing wasn't the only lesson for me. I'm just like you, I struggle to grow and improve.

I don't have to peruse my journals to know that many of the posters in here are not real goons and I'm flattered that so many pages have been devoted to my space job. It gives me hope because if bitching about a incident that happened now ages ago is the only thing you have, I know Goonkind will be in space until CCP sells out or crumbles to the ground.

And that's all you get and hopefully it fuels another 50 pages.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What the gently caress

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Back in 2008 I raided with a hardcore guild in WoW three nights a week until I got a girlfriend and quit. That was a grotesque waste of time, but at least no one ever texted my girlfriend rape threats because I rolled need on an epic jockstrap or something.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Otacon posted:

If I were Digi and in charge of CFC Counterintel, I'd google all of you fucks so much, and I'd use all the RL information I could to make sure you were booted from the alliance. I wouldn't post any DOXXES anywhere publically, but I'd sure as poo poo use everything I had access to and pin down exactly who you were.

And gently caress you if you think that's creepy - other than being kicked you'd never be able to confirm that I have your address, your full name, your email addresses, your work address, everything. You'd never loving know.

CommonShore posted:

The anti-digi whining is the exact same whining as the anti-blobbing or anti-blops or anti-[insert thing CFC does here] whining. It's a mix of people who are angry that they were out-played, out-thought, or out-maneuvered in some way, and thus denied some kind of win or content to which they feel themselves entitled. gently caress your space honour, bitches. If you want to win, play to win.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Jesus Christ I am glad I quit EVE :psyduck: what the hell is going on?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Super Waffle posted:

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Super Waffle posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Narciss posted:

In the midst of a debate in the EVE Online thread on the acceptability of doxxing other players:

Sir_Substance posted:

The way I look at it is like this:

It's not ok to punch people in the face randomly, but if you're in a boxing ring, not only is it ok, but in the act of signing up for a boxing match, you should have expected it to happen, so I have little sympathy if you start crying about it.

As a result, I also have little sympathy for pubbies who cry about awoxing when playing eve. They say "it's not fair, I just assumed this person was good because that's what normal people do, and he screwed me over". That's the game you signed up for. Not playing it is as simple as not logging in, but if you do, you're in the game. No one complains that normal people don't order their subordinates to kill your subordinates when playing a game of chess.

When it comes to doxxing spies and outing FC's as gay, again, that's the game you signed up for. It's the high stakes game-within-a-game, the meta-game, that eve is so famous for. Some people enjoy those stakes, and if you don't enjoy them why did you choose to get involved?

I don't play the meta. I'm just a line grunt, I don't give a poo poo, I don't get involved. You don't have to be involved in the meta, and if you are involved and change your mind, you can leave the meta. It'll probably involve shutting down all your accounts, waiting 6 months and then rolling a totally clean one and staying disinvolved, but you can leave if you want to.

So the only middle ground left in this situation is the whole "digi will log my IP when I join GSF and cross-reference it against other information he has". You don't have to choose to be in the meta to get hit by that, and yeah, that's a little concerning. But google does the same thing every time I use their search engine. Would I prefer google and digi to both not do it?

Definitely. But you can't pretend that's somehow socially unacceptable, and he's a monster for doing it. Pretty much every website anyone uses does it. If you don't like digi doing it, why do you take it from facebook?

How can you condemn digi for logging aspects of your IRL identity from the information you freely give him (IP, login time et al, you could be using Tor or a VPN if it worried you), and yet not be ultra-mad at what Microsoft is doing with windows 8->10, with the whole "to use your local computer, please give us your name, phone number, country of origin, age and a second email address" thing?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

war is hell

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
if theres one thing that makes eve online less appealing than the actual process of playing the game, it is the people who play it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's been said before, but it deserves reiteration: Kill all gamers, burn the whole loving thing down.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Haven't played for years now but all of that owns. EVE owns and goons creating tears in it owns the most.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Totally TWISTED posted:

Haven't played for years now but all of that owns. EVE owns and goons creating tears in it owns the most.

We are going to need your personal information and contact information of your closest friends and family. That way we can verify that you have actually quit EVE and are not some sort of spy. If you don't like it, then you shouldn't have enter the boxing match.

Shwqa has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Nov 13, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Super Waffle posted:

Hopefully people filing lawsuits.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah us Goonsquaddies are just super awesome trolls, we don't give a gently caress about the game and just love the gently caress around with people.

-commits a felony because their feelings were hurt in-game-

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
When you poop long into an sock the sock also poops into you.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Super Waffle posted:

Par for the course, I stole a pile of things from goonfleet a million years ago and people whoised the url on the signature I had on their forum (which was hosted by somebody else) got the guys mother on the phone and called her a human being.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Abugadu posted:

Back and forth... Forever.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Abugadu posted:

I've seen that movie.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Good job to everyone who saw the insanely long posts with EVE at the top and read them anyway.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Hey look I don't agree with braining someone repeatedly with a metal folding chair IRL but if you didn't want that to happen you shouldn't have come over to my house to play WWE Superstars 2015 on my XBone. Picking up the controller is as legally binding as a signed consent form.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not that I didn't see that the Geneva Convention was in effect when we started a war with China, but really public torture and widespread use of chemical weapons are just part of the meta and if you're not prepared to play that way you really shouldn't bother playing at all because among other things you're not going to win. I mean you can just be a grunt in the machine. That's what I do. I don't have it in me to dedicate myself to torturing civilians and giving orders to use white phosphorus on refugees. I just don't have sympathy for anyone who gets a face full of Mustard Gas after becoming a citizen of the US or China. That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think most people know what they're getting into when they start playing EvE.

• Locked thread