Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Gonna make some real nice runny scrambled eggs tomorrow without using any dairy products and they're gonna be delicious on top of toasted english muffins~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you think about it, eggs and milk are the only two foods that have "providing nutrition" as their primary/sole purpose. Vegetables are for photosynthesis or energy storage for plants or whatever, fruits are for seed distribution, meat is muscles tissue or organs or whatever. But milk and egg (the whites at least) are strictly for eating.

Makes you think.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

If you think about it, eggs and milk are the only two foods that have "providing nutrition" as their primary/sole purpose. Vegetables are for photosynthesis or energy storage for plants or whatever, fruits are for seed distribution, meat is muscles tissue or organs or whatever. But milk and egg (the whites at least) are strictly for eating.

Makes you think.

seed distribution is oft done via ingestion/poop. Some seeds even need to be exposed to an acidic environment before they will germinate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Makes you think.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Makes you think.

do go on about the intentionality of non-sentient foodstuffs :allears:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SubG posted:

I think it's hilarious that the internet has attributed scrambled loving eggs to Gordon Ramsay. I mean power to the people, it's great people are learning poo poo, and all that. But it ain't even like some spergy refinement of some classic thing like you see Keller or Blumenthal or whoever doing.

For a classic thing that I guess is spergy (takes 40 minutes), there's always Rex Stout's recipe:
http://nerowolfe.tumblr.com/post/16524857522/literaryflack-nero-wolfes-scrambled-eggs-from

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kenning posted:

fruits are for seed distribution

Nuts. The bulk of a nut is there to provide nutrients to the little germ that's about to grow a new nut plant.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that's nuts :haw:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh dang I didn't think about nuts. They're really just eggs from trees.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That's eggcelent :haw: :haw:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Also tubers. And taproots like carrots, radishes, and turnips. And bulbs, like most alliums (garlic, onions, and so on). All food storage for the plant.

And I guess Tuscan lardo (I think he's in the next Star Wars film) and poo poo like that would count too.

Edit: also honey.

guppy posted:

I don't doubt for a moment that this is 100% true, but I've eaten scrambled eggs not only at lots of restaurants but also at lots of other people's houses, and at none of them have they been done well. Gordon Ramsay is the man who taught me how to do it properly, and I appreciate him for that. That's all. Neither I nor Ramsay have claimed anything further. In fact, he comments in that video that he asks new cooks in the kitchen to make scrambled eggs, so he can see if they do it right, which is pretty much an endorsement of what you said. I am not a professional chef and I only started to take cooking seriously last year, and if learning to do it right means learning from a Gordon Ramsay video, I'm good with that.
Yeah, that's cool. Like I said, it's great that folks are learning this poo poo. I just think it's funny when basic, classic fundamentals like this are attributed to contemporary celebrity chefs or whatever. Like when someone called tomato concassé an Alton Brown thing. And it seems to happen more with fundamentals that with more involved things.

I think part of the reason it's funny is that it kinda illustrates how much of cooking isn't the big elaborate complicated poo poo, it's the nuts and bolts simple poo poo. I think anyone who's been in a kitchen for any length of time has had the experience where they've made a big complex meal involving a lot of delicate prep work or mounting a tricky sauce or whatever, and then all the positive feedback was on some dead simple thing that you can knock out without even thinking about it. Like making your own croutons or something. It's just...funny.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
jesus christ :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30015682

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wow. 45,000 for a horrifying injury. And the company is fined 12,500. That's crazy. It's like, nothing.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Kenning posted:

Wow. 45,000 for a horrifying injury. And the company is fined 12,500. That's crazy. It's like, nothing.

Pretty standard and fair?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

mindphlux posted:

do go on about the intentionality of non-sentient foodstuffs :allears:

My thoughts exactly. Intentionality is a human concept and we anthropomorphize evolutionary traits.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Hat posted:

Pretty standard and fair?

Less than 2 years full salary for a life-long disfiguring injury which could have easily been avoided if the workplace had better routines. I won't argue that it's standard but sure as hell isn't fair.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Less than 2 years full salary for a life-long disfiguring injury which could have easily been avoided if the workplace had better routines. I won't argue that it's standard but sure as hell isn't fair.

You're forgetting that it is in a different kind of societal setup than the American?

I mean, there will probably be zero cost for her attached to the injury, she will be retrained for free, she will be treated for free, if she is permanently disabled she will get a life stipend, she will get full coverage for her lost time from her insurance, any kind of assets that she needs to run a life as disabled will be provided to her from society.

It is a different situation and not 1 to 1 comparable between societies.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 12, 2014

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Happy Hat posted:

You're forgetting that it is in a different kind of societal setup than the American?

I mean, there will probably be zero cost for her attached to the injury, she will be retrained for free, she will be treated for free, if she is permanently disabled she will get a life stipend, she will get full coverage for her lost time from her insurance, any kind of assets that she needs to run a life as disabled will be provided to her from society.

I envy your commie utopia, hh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

That's all true, but should it cost a company that little, regardless, to mutilate a worker?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

That's all true, but should it cost a company that little, regardless, to mutilate a worker?

No amount of money is a compensation that is 'fair' compared to the human suffering of the individual.

Edit: I have spend a two digit millions of euros in supporting health and safety in the company I work in, and I know, intimately, the business case connected to one lost-time injury, up to and including a death. A fact that I take no enjoyment in knowing.

Every time we have had a shameful work related death or injury we take it personal, it debilitates us, we are ashamed for the fact that it has happened, the incurred sorrow, guilt and shame that we feel from this is staggering.

We have, for every injury that has happened, evaluated the entire situation in detail, we are sending a team on site to evaluate processes and procedures, and we are learning from them.

We are doing the same for customers and contractors as we are for our own people.

What I am trying to stumbling tell is that we're taking this very seriously, actually.

There is, in my estimate, no amount of money that can compensate the family, or the injured, for the fact of what has happened.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 12, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I literally forgot that there are places where that woman wouldn't just naturally be rendered destitute.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

In America being a worker means poverty even if you're not mutilated.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlueGrot posted:

My thoughts exactly. Intentionality is a human concept and we anthropomorphize evolutionary traits.

What? Eggs have a definite purpose - they are protection and food for the growing chicken. Milk has a definite purpose - it's food (and probably a few other things) for the growing calf. I really don't understand what your complaint is, unless you're being deliberately obtuse or extremely nitpicky about which verbs people use when talking about it?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 12, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr.Hat, I understand your indignation, and appreciate your passion for the welfare of your employees.

But please understand that what this man is saying is 100 percent true:

Kenning posted:

I literally forgot that there are places where that woman wouldn't just naturally be rendered destitute.

When people get hurt or sick in the USA, their families are often reduced to holding fundraisers and soliciting donations... A fancy form of begging.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey Dino, you still in NYC? If so, I'd like to take you out to your favorite vegan joint.
Yay that would be great. :D Do you have PMs? I can send you my phone number or w/e so you can text me.

@HH in the USA, the worker would have been covered under workman's comp, which frequently denies peoples' claims. And the government isn't bothered about what happens to the person, especially if they're poor or black or female. It's rather refreshing to know that there are places that give a drat about the safety of its people.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from product thread beause drat.

Hell of a deal on a lift bowl kitchenaid.

This right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1C2-0001-00083

for $220 with promo code EMCWWWW64. Normally $359.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Crossposting from product thread beause drat.

Hell of a deal on a lift bowl kitchenaid.

This right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1C2-0001-00083

for $220 with promo code EMCWWWW64. Normally $359.

Wow. I use my KA for bread pretty often, us general baking. It's an excellent product. This is an incredible deal. If you can afford it, buy this!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Wow. I use my KA for bread pretty often, us general baking. It's an excellent product. This is an incredible deal. If you can afford it, buy this!

I went ahead and got one. My old one (old enough to have a Hobart label on it) seems to be getting noisier. Plus I hear the dough hook on the new ones works better.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I went ahead and got one. My old one (old enough to have a Hobart label on it) seems to be getting noisier. Plus I hear the dough hook on the new ones works better.

Yeah, and the new beaters have a rubber scraper edge that works pretty good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, and the new beaters have a rubber scraper edge that works pretty good.

I have a third party beater like that for my old one. Glad to see that style is the standard now.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah thats very tempting, I have an artisan mixer that works fine but is on like, 15 years of service now, I just know its going to die any day now....

tempting

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Computer viking posted:

What? Eggs have a definite purpose - they are protection and food for the growing chicken. Milk has a definite purpose - it's food (and probably a few other things) for the growing calf. I really don't understand what your complaint is, unless you're being deliberately obtuse or extremely nitpicky about which verbs people use when talking about it?
Without resorting to redefining common words, eggs have a function but not a purpose. That is, a chicken that lays a fertilised egg will reproduce and therefore eggs can serve a reproductive function. But at no point did one or more chickens decide to develop the egg, to design it in a particular way, or anything like that. And evolution didn't do that either, because evolution is not a conscious agent capable of purpose.

Or at least that's what I assume BlueGrot meant.

Whether or not this is nitpicky is subject for debate. But it is worth noting that there's a school of thought that argues that function implies purpose---`intelligent design' proponents, people advocating the strong anthropic principle, whatever---so it isn't a qualification that exactly comes out of nowhere.

Happy Hat posted:

No amount of money is a compensation that is 'fair' compared to the human suffering of the individual.
The victim might feel differently. If that counts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

SubG posted:

Without resorting to redefining common words, eggs have a function but not a purpose. That is, a chicken that lays a fertilised egg will reproduce and therefore eggs can serve a reproductive function. But at no point did one or more chickens decide to develop the egg, to design it in a particular way, or anything like that. And evolution didn't do that either, because evolution is not a conscious agent capable of purpose.

Or at least that's what I assume BlueGrot meant.

Whether or not this is nitpicky is subject for debate. But it is worth noting that there's a school of thought that argues that function implies purpose---`intelligent design' proponents, people advocating the strong anthropic principle, whatever---so it isn't a qualification that exactly comes out of nowhere.

I think "function" vs. "purpose" is nitpicky. The word "intention" is clearly the wrong word to use, but that wasn't even my word.

I guess the thing is that milk and egg white and nut meat provide nutrition to an organism other than the one that produced them. Sure there are things like fat cells and tubers and whatever, but they just store energy for the organism that produced them. Therefore the former are food, and nothing but food.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Costco KA 6 qt is only $290 right now. Too bad it doesn't have the burnished beater and hook anymore. FWIW I have the old 5 quart model and adding ingredients to the narrow bowl-lift versions is annoying as gently caress.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kenning posted:

I think "function" vs. "purpose" is nitpicky. The word "intention" is clearly the wrong word to use, but that wasn't even my word.
Nobody will bat an eye if you say that a cave formed by erosion can function as a shelter, but who would say that serving as a shelter is the cave's purpose?

Kenning posted:

I guess the thing is that milk and egg white and nut meat provide nutrition to an organism other than the one that produced them. Sure there are things like fat cells and tubers and whatever, but they just store energy for the organism that produced them. Therefore the former are food, and nothing but food.
I have experimentally verified that some tubers, seasoned with a little garlic and parsley, did in fact store energy for an organism other than the one that produced it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I have a third party beater like that for my old one. Glad to see that style is the standard now.

I've got an Artisan and I had to buy the scraper beater - standard one doesn't have it. Dough hook seems to work very well though. My brother hasn't bought us a wedding present (long boring story) so I asked him for the KA, because I really wanted one. I'm glad I did. It's great.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Kenning posted:

In America being a worker means poverty even if you're not mutilated.

I think the term you are using to describe us is "debt slaves".

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I'd still keep the Hobart too. All the internals on those are the old full metal gears. You could probably get it fixed up for cheap and be back to like new. The newer ones are still pretty great but they have a lot of plastic. I have the same model as they're selling and use the gently caress out of mine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

I'd still keep the Hobart too. All the internals on those are the old full metal gears. You could probably get it fixed up for cheap and be back to like new. The newer ones are still pretty great but they have a lot of plastic. I have the same model as they're selling and use the gently caress out of mine.

Well, some of the new KAs have metal gears and some don't, you have to check the box to see what it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought I read that the professional line used metal but I may be mistaken.