Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

This is well said but are you of the opinion most people are driving over curbs? Why would wagons have any more problems with curbs and potholes than cars do? I've always just viewed CUV's as wagons with 3 inches more ground clearance I don't need.

I meant in terms of these things, which people do park their front ends over. Or hard curbs in parallel parking spots.

I cringe when i hear a car scraping it's bumper back over one of these. Mercedes seems to have solved the problem by protecting the bumper with this easily replaceable $450 piece of chromed plastic.

Higher ground clearance means a higher sidewall tire and at times more suspension travel to better handle potholes. If you're not nailing the apex on every turn on every street, 3 inches of ground clearance helps far more than it hurts.

Speaking from my own experiences, if my BMW was my only car, and i really cared about it not looking used, there would have been 2 months last winter in which i couldn't leave my house because the ruts in the ice in the only entrance/exit to my subdivision did this.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

davebo posted:

This is well said but are you of the opinion most people are driving over curbs? Why would wagons have any more problems with curbs and potholes than cars do? I've always just viewed CUV's as wagons with 3 inches more ground clearance I don't need.

Look at the wheels of most CUVs. Yes, they hit curbs. Often.

That said, I wish I had a wagon. But our 2014 Escape does most things just fine, is comfy, gets good gas mileage for what it is, keeps my wife happy, and fit us and all four of our animals for a trip from Florida to California towing close to 3000lbs while getting 23mpg.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Those sure are a lot of words justifying a $48,000 subcompact hatchback ($60,000 with leather).

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Cars in general are expensive here and Mitsubishi is notorious for listing bullshit prices and discounting for everyone (I'd say mid-20s is more realistic)

Yeah, these guys are flogging them for $22.6k+GST with alloys and usually a few years of servicing thrown in, I know a few companies who have picked them up recently. Half the price of anything else new, but it doesn't stack up against a used Japanese import Hiace or whatever for the self-employed tradies. Deathtraps, but cheap deathtraps at least.

http://www.andrewsimms.co.nz/features/specials/new_pre-registered_mitsubishi_l300_van_clearance

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Those sure are a lot of words justifying a $48,000 subcompact hatchback ($60,000 with leather).

The escape starts at 22k. The gla and q3 Start at 30.

They aren't unreasonable compared to their car counterparts. Just because the one Chrysler makes is forgettable doesn't mean the segment is terrible.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

Just because the one Chrysler makes is forgettable doesn't mean the segment is terrible.

If we judged car segments by the entry Chrysler makes, then all segments would be terrible.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Throatwarbler posted:

Titanium with all options except sunroof, including tow package and the 2.0, for 26k out the door.

So really hoping you weren't directing that toward me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Powershift posted:

I meant in terms of these things, which people do park their front ends over. Or hard curbs in parallel parking spots.

I cringe when i hear a car scraping it's bumper back over one of these.

My mid-size sedan fits over that, and actual curbs, just fine :colbert:

it was made in 1994, when "parking without destroying parts of your car" was normal

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

I don't get the hate of current CUVs. It's basically a hatchback/wagon with the ride height to clear curbs when parking and the suspension to absorb potholes. It gives you a more natural seating position, a better view of the world around you, allows you to run a sidewall height tall enough to save your wheels from curbs, and with modern tech isn't at a disadvantage when it comes to basic performance and safety. It seems feelings are being tainted by the mental image of hummers and excursions coming up any time "SUV" is mentioned.

The automobile is returning to what it started out as before vanity began to shape it. A vehicle with the proportions of a ford model A would be labeled an SUV and hated when really it is the most basic and practical shape. We're at an automotive renaissance where outside of mitsubishi and a handful of decade old models, there are really no bad vehicles. You're spoiled for choice in whichever segment you shop and even if you make the worst possible choice in the segment, it's not chevy caviler bad. The compact/midsize CUV is really what most of the population should be in, and it frees up remaining models to be built as they should without comprises made to appeal to those drivers. The full size car can become a RWD landbarge again because the people who couldn't park it are in lexus RXs and BMW X3s. The muscle cars can get more hardcore and performance oriented because the old man who wants a cruiser can afford a well restored classic again. The driving experience of the average hatch can get more driver oriented because the people looking for a more comfortable ride are in escapes and XV crosstreks. The market is slowly becoming what we want it to be, but you still get confused when others get what they want from it as well.

Take a look at a vehicle built back in the 1930s or 1940s. That's basically what CUVs represent a return to - vehicles of that height, size and shape (relatively speaking). It doesn't hurt that they're a lot easier for people to get in and out of, etc etc.

I think the real reason some people hate CUVs is because of how they displaced other types of vehicles or made them functionally obsolete. Take the cheap, lower-end full-size sedan (think Chevy Caprice), for instance. Today, people either buy quad-cab pickup trucks or near-premium tier full-size CUVs like the Chevy Traverse. People who'd buy station wagons or minivans 20 or 30 years ago are now buying CUVs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Well it was done in the past and we should halt all progress in respect.

What's the average c/d on those cars from. The 30s and 40s? :allears:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I hate CUVs because they are displacing station wagons, and I want station wagons.

I'm also not convinced that most CUVs are more practical than a wagon would be, nor that they are basically wagons with more ride height, with some exceptions, one being the Outback. Which brings up an interesting comparison between it and the Forester. Last I checked, they were roughly the same price and same volume, but the Outback was more well appointed and made that space more usable than the Forester by providing more horizontal space rather than vertical space. Most CUVs are a lot more like the Forester than like the Outback, and I would prefer the opposite.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

I hate CUVs because they are displacing station wagons, and I want station wagons.

This is also my completely selfish reason for hating CUVs. I want an S4 Avant in the worst way. The SQ5 is not the answer I was looking for, Audi.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We just bought a Ford Flex to satisfy my desire for a wagon and the woman's desire for an suv.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

eyebeem posted:

We just bought a Ford Flex to satisfy my desire for a wagon and the woman's desire for an suv.

Nice minivan.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

Nice minivan.

I wish. She wouldn't go for one no matter how hard I tried.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I wish. She wouldn't go for one no matter how hard I tried.

Ew, gross.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

eyebeem posted:

Ugh. I had one as a rental a couple years back and it was like the worst of everything rolled into 1 vehicle and was uncomfortable to top it off.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

El Scotch posted:

Ew, gross.

Stigma aside, minivans are loving great, they're basically the most perfect vehicles for anyone who needs something larger than a hatchback compact.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Except for station wagons, which are better.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
More people should get minivans again, they drive good enough, have kickass storage and can carry not only gremlins but many adults. I do see some of the sportier moms getting white Toyota Minivans with black rims and so forth so at least they are trying to look tough.

I keep trying to talk my mid 60's mom into getting a minivan so she doesn't have to hoist her 70 lb golden retriever into the rear hatch of her 2004 Escape. She straight up says gently caress no every time. The ramp thingie helps but the dog hates it and it takes up space in the rear seats. She refuses to give up her Escape.

Those mid 2000's Escapes are sorta shitboxes but seem way more reliable than the new turbo's.....the only issues she's ever had is just BMW plastic type failures (washer tank, wiper tray, coolant lines). I caught some air in the little fucker once too.

EDIT: my "rental" issue with the Journey (twice in late 2012 w/ low mileage 2013's) had nothing to do with the wear and tear and trim level but the seats were really uncomfortable and poorly designed and even leather wouldn't save them, the steering was 1968 Chevy Impala worthy, the handling was similar to a late 1980's Cadillac, and the brakes were absolute mushy garbage. just "meh" everywhere. Maybe I should look to rent the Hellcat version with a modified suspension and brakes next time?

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 13, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Ugh. I had one as a rental a couple years back and it was like the worst of everything rolled into 1 vehicle and was uncomfortable to top it off.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've had a loaded flex as a rental for work and it was actually pretty nice and fairly comfortable.

And someone mentioned hating the journey earlier, again had a loaded one as a rental and it was really good other than the lovely millage, even the interior looked pretty good but I know it's not durable. As a family vehicle it seemed to be great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as you are happy with it man, that's the important part.

And I also agree with minivan love. I don't even have kids but I think minivans are incredibly practical vehicles and would drive one without embarrassment.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All you need to know is that the flex is available with the Ecoboost and can be tuned to run 12s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzjOupHRxO4&t=35s

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bajaha posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I've had a loaded flex as a rental for work and it was actually pretty nice and fairly comfortable.

And someone mentioned hating the journey earlier, again had a loaded one as a rental and it was really good other than the lovely millage, even the interior looked pretty good but I know it's not durable. As a family vehicle it seemed to be great.

I'm in a mood to talk about them, the Journey was pretty comprehensively updated for 2013, so if the one you drove was a newer one they are perfectly adequate vehicles for their intended purpose.

Just as an example of how comprehensive the upgrade was, the front brakes on the 2013s are a full inch larger than the previous versions and are now two piston caliper instead of single.

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/4974-successful-big-brake-upgrade-on-2011-crew/

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/5021-2014-journeys-brake-are-massive/

Why the upgrade? No reason, definitely not because the previous version was widely known to need new pads and rotors every 15k miles. Why would Chrysler release a vehicle that wasn't perfect already? :ninja:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm in a mood to talk about them, the Journey was pretty comprehensively updated for 2013, so if the one you drove was a newer one they are perfectly adequate vehicles for their intended purpose.
A salesman I went to lunch with last month had a brand new Journey for a company car and it was a tremendous piece of poo poo based on the 30 minutes I was inside it. To be fair I guess it had power and brakes (nothing stick out in my mind negative that regard) but god the build materials and noise inside was worse than my in-laws 98 Accord, which has driven to Belize and back 4 times.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

slidebite posted:

And I also agree with minivan love. I don't even have kids but I think minivans are incredibly practical vehicles and would drive one without embarrassment.

If I had a child (even just one) I'd instantly buy a previous gen Odyssey, they're pretty close to being a station wagon, look great and are insanely cheap.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

If I had a child (even just one) I'd instantly buy a previous gen Odyssey, they're pretty close to being a station wagon, look great and are insanely cheap.

I agree, those look so good, especially lowered. It would be the only mini-van I'd buy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, we don't get that vehicle in NA. The Honda Odyssey here is larger and very much a minivan.

Here's what a last gen Odyssey looks like in North America.

They are also anything but cheap too. 3-4 year old models still go for over $20k.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have three kids, hence buying the flex and wanting a van.

So far, the flex is great. 2014 and fairly loaded. This drat thing has 4 moonroofs. And for once, the xplan discount was actually good enough to not negotiate instead. $36k or so before TTL on a sticker of $43k

I'm also amazed at how nice a mid range ford is these days. 10 years ago the tech in this thing would have been unthinkable.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 13, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I love these things.

Also, I have to laugh at the notion of someone not being willing to compromise on fuel efficiency and handling. Really? No compromises at all? How does that work, exactly?

A motorcycle

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I really wanted a mini-van last go car buying trip, but my wife will not be caught dead in one. Ironically she loves the hell out of her cousin's Sienna XLE and always comments on how much room there is and how nice it is. We leased an Explorer Sport though, so while not as convenient, the go pedal puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. 2 more years on this lease, then maybe I can talk her into a Honda Odyssey Touring.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When the Mrs and I went to DC a couple of years ago, we wanted to go to Udvar-Hazy and just decided to rent a car because getting to Dulles via transit was awful. The only thing at the rental agency that wasn't a leaf electric car was a brand new Sienna so that's what we got. It was boring to drive sure but it was very comfortable and I'd have no problem with one as a daily driver.

I kind of like the look of the Mazda 5 but don't know if they are any good.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If I was shopping for a minivan the Mazda 5 would be on the shortlist. I'm also curious about the new Transit Connect wagon, it looks pretty presentable too. [US poster here]

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 13, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

When the Mrs and I went to DC a couple of years ago, we wanted to go to Udvar-Hazy and just decided to rent a car because getting to Dulles via transit was awful. The only thing at the rental agency that wasn't a leaf electric car was a brand new Sienna so that's what we got. It was boring to drive sure but it was very comfortable and I'd have no problem with one as a daily driver.

I kind of like the look of the Mazda 5 but don't know if they are any good.

Mazda 5s are awesome. Cargo capacity of a microvan (still much more than any passenger car), handles like a Mazda 3. No, really. It was a hoot to drive.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mange Mite posted:

If I was shopping for a minivan the Mazda 5 would be on the shortlist.

Me too.

Because:

A proper tach. And the only NA minivan with a manual.

(Yes it doesn't seat 8 but whatevssssss)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

If I was shopping for a minivan the Mazda 5 would be on the shortlist. I'm also curious about the new Transit Connect wagon, it looks pretty presentable too. [US poster here]

I still really want one of these with the 2.3T and AWD. Would be a blast. They actually don't look at all bad either.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would buy a Mazda 5 if I could own multiple cars. If I ever got rich it would be the perfect go to the store car or putz around town car. In Austin there's a think where X percentage of parking spots are compact sized. It would fit in one of those, the sliding rear doors are easy to get the kids in and out and it has plenty of space to handle a big Costco or grocery run.

As my primary vehicle though.. I'll pass.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Powershift posted:

You don't have to, they're not taking cars away by selling CUVs. The ford escape is lighter than the fusion. A 4matic GLA 250 is 200bs lighter and has more roadholding ability than an acura TLX AWD, even the GLA 45 AMG is lighter.

And yeah, being able to see out of and making the effort to are very different things.

I wasn't saying they should be banned, just explaining why I don't like them personally. If people want to buy a jacked up station wagon or even a PT Cruiser they can to ahead. Good counterpoints about the Escape and GLA though. I stand by my emergency handling and fuel economy comments though :colbert:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I get that I'm bias because I own it, but I really do think that the Flex is the sharpest looking people mover in the US. It doesn't hurt that we get the appearance package as a free add-on in California. It has the benefit of not being fuckoff massive in height and actually drives pretty drat well. We also own a Fiat 500, so it's not like we are unaware of how a "Car" drives.

Here's what mine looks like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

If I had more than one kid I'd get a minivan immediately. My best friend has four kids (3, 2, and two infant twins) and he and his wife spend a hilarious amount of time wrangling everyone into and out of their new 2014 Dodge Durango because neither of them would make the concession of driving a van.