Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Iretep posted:

Dodge through the fireballs. What's your agility stat at?

I think it's around 110. I keep trying to roll through them but even when it looks like they miss me I still get my rear end burned. So I didn't think rolling made me invulnerable to them. Or do you mean roll between the balls?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Spell parry that poo poo.

Whaaa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I've never even had a 110 agility character so it should be really easy to dodge through them. Also you can just run between the fireballs too but dodging works too. I've always prefered dodging because it allows me to get a quick hit on him.
Edit: Oh right, equipload affects dodge distance so if you're above 70% equipload then it might be hard to dodge through them.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

I think it's around 110. I keep trying to roll through them but even when it looks like they miss me I still get my rear end burned. So I didn't think rolling made me invulnerable to them. Or do you mean roll between the balls?

Whaaa?

Some shields let you parry spells; the fireballs are a spell. I dunno how effective trying to Ganon his rear end would work though. Though I don't have a clue how you can't dodge through them when they have the most generous hitbox ever. You can go right through them easily with way less than 110 agility. You could also just back up and side step them, it's not hard if you're not standing right next to him.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Iretep posted:

Edit: Oh right, equipload affects dodge distance so if you're above 70% equipload then it might be hard to dodge through them.

No i'm at less than 40%. Obviously I just need to get good. Strange though that I can't seem to dodge roll his burning balls.

What shield would be the best for spell parrying? I try not to read guides so I had no idea about spell parrying and that NPC summons boost boss health :/

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Genocyber posted:

This also only happens in some people's games. It doesn't in mine, for example.
Do you have High-quality Character Rendering enabled?

I just did some testing on a whim and found that with that setting disabled, the Mirrah Hat's feather doesn't glitch. With it enabled for either the player or all character, the feather glitches in certain areas.
I'm pretty sure all that setting controls are the cloth animations, so I guess my initial assumption of it being a screwy mesh is wrong.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly you'll have a way better time just walking around the fire than parrying it. It's very easy, just back up and around.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Disco De Soto posted:

Whaaa?

The fireballs aren't all equidistant from one another. Often, you can wait for an opening that will virtually guarantee a safe roll.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fume Knight's fireballs were probably the least of my problems because yeah, there's always a gap you can pretty much walk through. My only issue with the Fume Knight battle is that one thrust he does after buffing his blade that has a hitbox three times larger than any visual indicator of where you can be hurt. That actually killed me once--I was like two feet away from the blade and the flame, and still got hit. Was pretty infuriating. I can understand the occasional small hitbox error, but that poo poo is glaring.

All in all it's a cool boss, but that loving stab's hitbox is ridiculous.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I never realized how much of the Sunken you can skip with a bow and some Iron arrows. Open the shortcut right at the start, jump down, shoot the three steps to the bonfire if you want, drop down to a place where you can shoot the forth. Then keep going to the room with the first spinning door, shoot the button a few times, sprint through, drop down, get Flynn's ring. Takes about 3 minutes and you really only have to kill the first acid bug.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Blinding Bolt good from a PvE stand point? The spell you can get from Gwyn's Soul. I've actually never used it on a faith character because I was leery about the random factor, but apparently even with that it's alright. I just need an actual witness to back that dubious claim up though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gologle posted:

Is Blinding Bolt good from a PvE stand point? The spell you can get from Gwyn's Soul. I've actually never used it on a faith character because I was leery about the random factor, but apparently even with that it's alright. I just need an actual witness to back that dubious claim up though.

It's okay but Heavenly Thunder does more or less the same thing, isn't significantly weaker, is way easier to get, and requires like 40 less faith.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Disco De Soto posted:

No i'm at less than 40%. Obviously I just need to get good. Strange though that I can't seem to dodge roll his burning balls.

What shield would be the best for spell parrying? I try not to read guides so I had no idea about spell parrying and that NPC summons boost boss health :/

Just checking, you are rolling into the fireballs right? Towards Fume Knight. I've never had any issues doing that with 95 agility and 50% equip load.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ah, that sucks, Heavenly Thunder sucks in PvE whenever I've tried using it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty much all offensive miracles are trash now, you'd be better suited using the self buffs and heals. Denial, Sacred Oath, Sunlight Blade, etc. With the Crown of the Old Iron King you can have pretty much infinite Denial going.

Jaaam posted:

Just checking, you are rolling into the fireballs right? Towards Fume Knight. I've never had any issues doing that with 95 agility and 50% equip load.

Yeah, if you're rolling back you're just going to land in the hitbox and if you roll to the side you'll probably come out of the roll inside a different fireball.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty much all offensive miracles are trash now, you'd be better suited using the self buffs and heals.

Not true at all. They're all good from the castle onwards in PVE, and they all have the same usefulness as always in PVP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't know about PVP, but no they aren't good in PVE. Even the enemies you do a lot of damage to, like the Syan Knights, would eat through your entire allotment of uses in like two enemies because you get poo poo for casts. They're also still useless against bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't know about PVP, but no they aren't good in PVE. Even the enemies you do a lot of damage to, like the Syan Knights, would eat through your entire allotment of uses in like two enemies because you get poo poo for casts. They're also still useless against bosses.

Nope. A great lightning spear will oneshot/about oneshot a primal knight, and Heavenly Thunder will take out pretty much everything around you, and it has 5 casts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Primal knights exist in literally one place and there are maybe four of them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
But don't they have a lot of hp, therefore implying the usefulness of the spell?

Also they are in gates of Pharos too, but there's just the one that is actually in your path.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just use your enormous stash of amber herbs and poo poo that you've no doubt got hanging around. You have functionally infinite casts of everything.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty much all offensive miracles are trash now, you'd be better suited using the self buffs and heals. Denial, Sacred Oath, Sunlight Blade, etc. With the Crown of the Old Iron King you can have pretty much infinite Denial going.

You're wrong. I'm saying this as a guy who has played two faith characters for the entirety of the game with different overall builds and weapons, but essentially the same spells, post-nerf. You're wrong. It's true that you are a fool if you rely exclusively on lightning spears out the dick, but that was also true pre-nerf. I always carry a good supply of heals and the occasional buff when I need more defense (Shrine of Amana can suck it, Rebel's Greatshield and Great Magic Barrier a go go baby). Lightning Spears are still powerful even with their casts neutered.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Manatee Cannon posted:

Primal knights exist in literally one place and there are maybe four of them.

Are those the big elephant guys you just circle strafe

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I like when I still come across a player who tries to spam lightning spear in PvP because its the most easily avoided thing in the world

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Are those the _____________ you just circle strafe

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Cardboard Box posted:

I like when I still come across a player who tries to spam lightning spear in PvP because its the most easily avoided thing in the world

Lightning Spear tracking is still hilarious when it happens though. I'm certain I've seen lightning spears actually boomerang back to hit their target once or twice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

You're wrong. I'm saying this as a guy who has played two faith characters for the entirety of the game with different overall builds and weapons, but essentially the same spells, post-nerf. You're wrong. It's true that you are a fool if you rely exclusively on lightning spears out the dick, but that was also true pre-nerf. I always carry a good supply of heals and the occasional buff when I need more defense (Shrine of Amana can suck it, Rebel's Greatshield and Great Magic Barrier a go go baby). Lightning Spears are still powerful even with their casts neutered.

Nah, they're bad and you could totally rely entirely on them before the nerf because they oneshot nearly anything and you had a billion casts. You never had to swing a sword at any point if you felt like it. More than enough to go through the whole of any stage and take on the boss, you never needed to use your weapon once you were set up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gologle posted:

Lightning Spear tracking is still hilarious when it happens though. I'm certain I've seen lightning spears actually boomerang back to hit their target once or twice.

haha, that's pretty weird. I don't think I've ever been hit by one though.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Jaaam posted:

Aha yeah I was trying to roll into the gap between his balls, maybe that's my problem...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Games > Dark Souls II: yeah I was trying to roll into the gap between his balls

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cardboard Box posted:

haha, that's pretty weird. I don't think I've ever been hit by one though.

I've seen my Sunlight Spears turn at a sharp 90 degree angle on a dime to strike someone who tried to roll to the side away from it. It seriously looks like a glitch when it happens.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I miss my Solaire character where I would Sunbro for people and run around like a maniac firing lightning nonstop~

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, if you're rolling back you're just going to land in the hitbox and if you roll to the side you'll probably come out of the roll inside a different fireball.

Wait I missed something here how does the Old Iron Crown let you have infinite Denial Miracles?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait I missed something here how does the Old Iron Crown let you have infinite Denial Miracles?

It refills spells every 2 minutes when you wear it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Gologle posted:

It's true that you are a fool if you rely exclusively on lightning spears out the dick, but that was also true pre-nerf.

Before the nerf you could faceroll the whole game by spamming lightning spears, and they had like billion casts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lordfrikk posted:

Before the nerf you could faceroll the whole game by spamming lightning spears, and they had like billion casts.

Yeah and? You can kind of Faceroll the game with anything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah and? You can kind of Faceroll the game with anything.

Lightning spears were different. They were so good that loving DSP steamrolled through most of the game with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-61Z1ht7zw

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh, I get it now. Good one, I guess? I feel a little foolish for not seeing before, but it was like 1 in the morning and I wasn't really aware after bashing my head multiple times against an enemy I should have been able to get through no problem (Darklurker). By the way, for anybody feeling frustrated with the Dark Chasm, Force absolutely cheeses the one in Drangleic Castle, holy crap. Once somebody told me that, I knew all my problems were fixed forever.

I don't know what I want to do with my main guy once I go for the DLC areas. I know from past experiences that I can't really go through it and enjoy myself with my current build, even though it's adequate. I'm going to save recreating my sorcery/hex/rapier dps rape secondary character for when I get to NG+ on this guy, so that leaves either a Dex build, a Strength build, a Quality build (ugh), or some gimmicky bullshit. I'm partial to the gimmicky bullshit, but I don't know what I want to do yet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Sadly kicking off people you invade in the chams doesen't reward you with ascetics. You have to kill them with a weapon. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite thing about being invaded in the Dark Chasms is that the NPC phantoms are just as aggressive to invaders as they are to me. More than once, someone invades me only to get killed before I even see them on my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Harrow posted:

My favorite thing about being invaded in the Dark Chasms is that the NPC phantoms are just as aggressive to invaders as they are to me. More than once, someone invades me only to get killed before I even see them on my screen.

Yeah those guys are dicks.
They do that infuriating canceling sometimes and it always catches me off guard.
They look and move like the player but operate on different rules. It's not like the mirror guys and aggroed NPCs who obviously move differently even at a glance.

Point of discussion: Should there be move canceling in Dark souls?

I know you can cancel out of spells and items but I mean for stuff like either extending/changing a series of attacks or for feints.
And also that cancel you can do where you have to roll/backstep out of literally the first frame of attack isn't really canceling.

Even if it is basic like throwing out a guard break earlier from a deflected attack like the NPC phantoms do would be nice.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 13, 2014