Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Has anyone got the resin Dark Eldar Grotesques?

Are the arms sculpted onto the body or do they come separate? I want to get 4 for a unit, but the monopose-ness of them is giving me second thoughts. My conversion skills are mediocre, but as long as I don't have to hack the models in half I may be able to sub in some talos bits to give one or two some variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

xtothez posted:

Harridan vs Warhound story

Oh hey I was the guy beside you playing orks. Small internet.

I'm pretty sure each wing of that thing was the size of the warhound, it's ridiculous.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lord Twisted posted:

Just had a gander at IA:13 with a friend, this Lost and the Damned list is filth - 3X rapier battery + 5X Wyvern with BS3, and 100(!) mutants is 655 pts. What the loving hell.

Don't you dare poo poo on my complete book of Chaos Awesome.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
So are there alternative Battlescribe data files? The official Tyranid one is riddled with mistakes.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Thanks, this is looking better. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 13, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repos is the best one.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PeterWeller posted:

They used to be "big" because there were no bigger MCs, but they were never "big" compared to most vehicles on the table. They're about dread size, and I never considered those to be particularly big.

That said, I do think they should do more to make carnifexes desirable and useful instead of just releasing even more huge stuff.

The current-era Carnifex and Tyrant are a fair bit larger than a Dreadnought, I would say. (The older ones, like the Huggafex, are obviously not nearly as large.) I feel like they're easily enough bigger than a regular Marine that they give the "holy poo poo that thing could eat me in one bite" feeling; I mean, one of the Fex's four Scything Talons is about the same size as a Marine is, so...

The problem with the Carnifex gameplay-wise these days isn't so much that it's bad, because it isn't; the basic loadout is an alright, if not exciting, price for a melee critter and I've used them to good effect a few times. The Devourers loadout is fairly strong and sees play periodically because massed S6 really just is that good. However, you very rarely see them at the top tables of the tournament because they intersect poorly with the "all FMCs all the time" list that Tyranids are essentially forced to field these days; with no other real way to deal with knights, Wave Serpents, and Bikes, Tyranids' only option is "go flyers or go home" and any kind of foot unit in a list like that is essentially just a liability, hence the lack of Carnifexes. Knights in particular are brutally strong against Nids- the nerf to Smash means that they have very few ways of dealing with them outside of just avoiding their reach, and with Nid MCs having such shoddy combat stats in most places (especially stuff like WS3 and I2/1) they can't realistically hope to beat them in assault.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

The current-era Carnifex and Tyrant are a fair bit larger than a Dreadnought, I would say. (The older ones, like the Huggafex, are obviously not nearly as large.) I feel like they're easily enough bigger than a regular Marine that they give the "holy poo poo that thing could eat me in one bite" feeling; I mean, one of the Fex's four Scything Talons is about the same size as a Marine is, so...

The problem with the Carnifex gameplay-wise these days isn't so much that it's bad, because it isn't; the basic loadout is an alright, if not exciting, price for a melee critter and I've used them to good effect a few times. The Devourers loadout is fairly strong and sees play periodically because massed S6 really just is that good. However, you very rarely see them at the top tables of the tournament because they intersect poorly with the "all FMCs all the time" list that Tyranids are essentially forced to field these days; with no other real way to deal with knights, Wave Serpents, and Bikes, Tyranids' only option is "go flyers or go home" and any kind of foot unit in a list like that is essentially just a liability, hence the lack of Carnifexes. Knights in particular are brutally strong against Nids- the nerf to Smash means that they have very few ways of dealing with them outside of just avoiding their reach, and with Nid MCs having such shoddy combat stats in most places (especially stuff like WS3 and I2/1) they can't realistically hope to beat them in assault.

Eh, the fex is a little taller and fills more of the base. The tyrant stands taller, but it's a more upright model all around. In my head, they're pretty much the same size (the 60mm base probably helps me think that way).

Generally, I agree with your second paragraph, though I think crushing claw fexes are a pretty good tool for taking out knights.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Haywire is the key. Nids actually can put a lot of glances on stuff with haywire.

Drop podding zoanthropes will be a pretty big boon soon too.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

As a DE player in 7E, I loving hate those haywire flamers. Good thing I can spam splinter all day long.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can it be the 24th because I really want Conquest to ship. Gonna jump on that city fight poo poo.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Ghost Hand posted:

Don't you dare poo poo on my complete book of Chaos Awesome.

My chaos playing friend is going to have an absolute field day with this book. I genuinely fear for my armies.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Generally, I agree with your second paragraph, though I think crushing claw fexes are a pretty good tool for taking out knights.

Fexes are actually pretty decent at hurting a Knight if they actually get to swing. The problem is that "if" part- with the Knight hitting them on 3s, swinging first, and with a strong possibility of killing them outright thanks to Str D, it's just really unreliable to actually do anything. (The d3 Hammer of Wrath hits are nice, but resolving them against AV13 means you're probably not going to do very significant damage.)

Master Twig posted:

Haywire is the key. Nids actually can put a lot of glances on stuff with haywire.

Drop podding zoanthropes will be a pretty big boon soon too.

Haywire is great, but Tyranids only have it two places- Electroshock Grubs, which are pretty much only available on Tyrants and Tyrannofexes (and Tyrants are already good at hurting Knights, so they don't really need another tool in that respect), and Crones, where they are one-shot weapons with BS3.

Zoes in Pods will have all the same problems they had before, namely all the hurdles you have to jump to get them to work. Make a Psychic Test (on a WC2 power, no less), make a to-hit roll, make a penetration roll, and then make a roll on the damage table; on any of these, a result of 1-2 on the die will pretty much shut you down, so it's very easy for the unit to drop in and do basically nothing. I love Zoeys, but they're not a reliable way to kill things at all.

PeterWeller posted:

As a DE player in 7E, I loving hate those haywire flamers. Good thing I can spam splinter all day long.

Also that 12" movement to stay out of template range.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

AbusePuppy posted:

Haywire is great, but Tyranids only have it two places- Electroshock Grubs, which are pretty much only available on Tyrants and Tyrannofexes (and Tyrants are already good at hurting Knights, so they don't really need another tool in that respect), and Crones, where they are one-shot weapons with BS3.

3: Hive Guard w/ Shockcannons.

Not that that changes much.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
And with this cat done I now have over 3k points of painted orks

So, whilst I still have a whole bunch of additional ork models, I'm going to start building a new army; I'm finally going to paint my Minotaurs.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NORTH-HALL posted:

Oh hey I was the guy beside you playing orks. Small internet.

I'm pretty sure each wing of that thing was the size of the warhound, it's ridiculous.
Oh wow, Dragonzord dude. Small internet indeed. I meant to ask, was that standing in for a Stompa or one of those new Morkanaut things?

I did feel pretty guilty about bringing the Harridan. First time I'd used it and didn't expect for it to be that strong. Graham's shiny new toy only killed 1 gaunt while mine chalked up over 1000pts of damage without taking a scratch.

Tequila Ranger posted:

3: Hive Guard w/ Shockcannons.

Not that that changes much.
Drop them in a pod and it's basically 3 hull points off against decent-sized targets. Even with BS3, anything Land Raider or Knight-sized is pretty hard to miss with blasts. Hive Guard are pretty durable too, between their natural toughness and a cover save from the pod you may well get to use them again.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

And with this cat done I now have over 3k points of painted orks

So, whilst I still have a whole bunch of additional ork models, I'm going to start building a new army; I'm finally going to paint my Minotaurs.

Full army pics or it didn't happen

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Drake_263 posted:

However, there are two Sky ray kits - the new Sky Ray box (Devilfish plus a separate sprue for Sky Ray turret parts) AND the old Hammerhead / Sky Ray box - which costs just as much as the 'plain' Sky Ray box but comes with BOTH turret sprues. If you can get your hands on the latter, I recommend it - you can just build both turrets and switch your tank between the two patterns as you like. It'll also be easy to play it as a Devilfish, all you need to do is magnetize the front sensor array so you can switch it with one of the burst cannons the kit comes with. (You get parts for two secondary gun mounts, either with twin Smart Missiles or twin Burst Cannons - of course you want the SMSes.)

You are correct but have it the wrong way round - the new kit is the combined Sky Ray/Hammerhead kit.

I've assembled two of them and it is pretty easy to magnetise it to have all devilfish-chassis options available, with all Hammerhead weapon options etc. Or you can forgo magnets and just dry-fit some of the parts to be able to swap between the tank types without the full range of weapon options.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

xtothez posted:

Oh wow, Dragonzord dude. Small internet indeed. I meant to ask, was that standing in for a Stompa or one of those new Morkanaut things?

Yeah that was being a Stompa. The height is perfect but it probably needs fattening up a lil.

First time using it. I didn't know super heavies blew up so massively. It exploded and took out 80% of the Warbosses unit that just disembarked to run away from it's imminent death. Fun times.

xtothez posted:

Graham's shiny new toy only killed 1 gaunt

Haha did it really only kill the 1 gaunt? I thought it took out a whole unit of them. Poor guy.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ineptmule posted:

You are correct but have it the wrong way round - the new kit is the combined Sky Ray/Hammerhead kit.

I've assembled two of them and it is pretty easy to magnetise it to have all devilfish-chassis options available, with all Hammerhead weapon options etc. Or you can forgo magnets and just dry-fit some of the parts to be able to swap between the tank types without the full range of weapon options.

My bad. EIther way, the combined kit is obviously the best choice!

I didn't even magnetize mine, besides the nose mount and make the Hammerhead gun swappable - the turrets sit neatly in the socket without magnets. Only difference between a Hammerhead/Sky Ray and a Devilfish chassis is that the Devilfish has the burst cannon under the chin, where the bigger tanks have the sensor pod - I just basically glued on a little magnet inside the pod, bored a hole in a bit of sprue and glued a second magnet i there, and greenstuffed that to the back of the sensor pod. Shave down the back of one of the burst cannons so you can slip it into the mount hole and bore a magnet into that and you're set.

YOu only get two burst cannons in the whole kit but gently caress it, SMSes are strictly superior to burst cannons, so I just built the secondary gun mounts with those.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I don't use the burst cannons or SMS on my devilfish - I like to keep the drones for sneaky cover shenanigans with my stealth suits :ninja:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I can see keeping drones on a Devilfish. The tanks, though, can upgrade to SMS for FREE, and SMS are a drat good weapon, even at only AP 5.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I swear SMS is MVP every game. Ignore Cover, No LOS, 4 shots twin-linked? It's especially fun on Devilfish because people tend to ignore the tank with no turret in favour of the one with the big gently caress-off gun on top.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not looking forward to the day my DE have to face off against SMS.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ijyt posted:

I swear SMS is MVP every game. Ignore Cover, No LOS, 4 shots twin-linked? It's especially fun on Devilfish because people tend to ignore the tank with no turret in favour of the one with the big gently caress-off gun on top.

Yeah, I almost always find the points to put them on my Devilfish. Like you said, people tend not to focus much firepower on the no-turret transports, especially once the troops inside are out. Those extra shots can turn fights around.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah I see your point. I'll have to try it some day.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

xtothez posted:

Drop them in a pod and it's basically 3 hull points off against decent-sized targets. Even with BS3, anything Land Raider or Knight-sized is pretty hard to miss with blasts. Hive Guard are pretty durable too, between their natural toughness and a cover save from the pod you may well get to use them again.

Yeah, I was talking to some guys the other weekend; the Tyrannocyte makes the Shock Cannon potentially a viable thing. Still not anywhere near good, I would say- since you're paying a LOT of points for three Haywire shots with only a 4+ save- but an interesting little unit with a bit of flexibility.

ineptmule posted:

Actually both the old and then new kit come with everything, I'm fairly sure. I know the old Skyray kit had all the Hammerhead pieces, I thought the new one did (and vice versa) as well.

ineptmule posted:

I don't use the burst cannons or SMS on my devilfish - I like to keep the drones for sneaky cover shenanigans with my stealth suits :ninja:

SMS vs. Drones on a Devilfish is a bit arguable; the Drones are free, twin-linked anyways, and are handy for a lot of different things- granting cover to units, blocking enemy charges/movement, etc. And a Devilfish is often Jinking for that sweet, sweet 3+ cover save, so any points spend on gun upgrades are rather wasted. On the other hand, the SMS is one of the best weapons in the game right now- between its decent range, multiple relevant special abilities, and naturally good profile, you're hard-pressed to find anything comparable. And 10pts is practically nothing, given how good it is. I've seen folks go both ways on it, although personally I prefer to keep my Devilfish cheap (or "cheap," since they start out pretty drat expensive) and just keep the Drones. However, if you're grabbing the Sensor Spines so you can hang out in actual cover- and thus won't need to Jink as much- I can definitely see the use.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, I was talking to some guys the other weekend; the Tyrannocyte makes the Shock Cannon potentially a viable thing. Still not anywhere near good, I would say- since you're paying a LOT of points for three Haywire shots with only a 4+ save- but an interesting little unit with a bit of flexibility.

Hive Guard are slightly overpriced for what they are, but at S5 they can be a good threat to drop into a transport-heavy area since an assault on the subsequent turn can result in more damage to AV10-11 back armor. Hell, with five S6 Venom Cannon shots from the Tyrannocyte and three Haywire blasts, you can be fairly certain to do enough Hull Point damage to knock something out. Unless you have a ton of free points I wouldn't personally go in that direction, but its not a terrible unit selection. I've personally never really had a great deal of trouble cracking armor by way of FMC guns and Vector Strikes, but I could see it being useful.

I think I'm going to pick up two Tyrannocytes when they drop (:haw:) to let the Swarmlord and another creature drop in. Still considering the selection, either a Malanthrope or a unit of Zoanthropes with a Neurothrope would be likely. If I bring myself to get a Toxicrene I'd try that too.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 13, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

AbusePuppy posted:

Actually both the old and then new kit come with everything, I'm fairly sure. I know the old Skyray kit had all the Hammerhead pieces, I thought the new one did (and vice versa) as well.

Either way, there's no need to go hunting for old versions of kits to be able to have flexibility in your HS choices :)

Interesting stuff about the SMS. I play once in a blue moon against a very small selection of opponents so there's almost no metagame angle to my playing environment.

Needless to say, when I occasionally do play against strangers I get absolutely crushed!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

Fexes are actually pretty decent at hurting a Knight if they actually get to swing. The problem is that "if" part- with the Knight hitting them on 3s, swinging first, and with a strong possibility of killing them outright thanks to Str D, it's just really unreliable to actually do anything. (The d3 Hammer of Wrath hits are nice, but resolving them against AV13 means you're probably not going to do very significant damage.)

Yeah, you need a brood to make it happen. A lone carnifex will knock off ~1 HP from the HoW before getting murdered by the D melee attacks. But a brood will likely strip half its HP with HoW, and still have a survivor to finish it off with S10 AP2 armorbane swings.

quote:

Also that 12" movement to stay out of template range.

But sometimes you run out of table or room, or if you're like me, you get too agressive and move your boats too close to get all that sweet TL rapid fire splinter. :getin:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finally (more or less) done with my Kriegers. :woop:

All I'm missing is a banner pole which I hopefully will get by the end of next week.
Although now that I look at it I'm slightly annoyed at the banner itself and should probably redo it without the attempted edging or pick some other colours for it.

And now I want to buy some Elysians. :sigh:
Gonna have to satisfy myself with painting up an Inquisitor in Power Armour instead.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Solar Axullia can take bombards. In groups. Bombards are one of my favorite units. :fap:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Slightly odd rules qn -

Burning Blade has Blind.
If I challenge, or am challenged, I'm sort of taken out of the combat to a mini combat. I assume if I hit the opponent in the challenge with the weapon the blind test still impacts the greater unit?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is it blind or concussive that's per-model? I think Concussive but I'm not sure.

Either way, the enemy character is still in the unit.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
"Any unit hit" so yeah, it still impacts the unit. However, remember that it's "at the end of the current phase", so it wouldn't impact them during that combat if it goes off.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Rules-lawyery bullshit time:
Some dude on BoLS commented on an article claiming that Leman Russes with Ordnance weapons can fire their hull/sponson weapons at full BS if they fire before the ordnance weapon fires because the rulebook says that any weapon that fires after an ordnance weapon can only snap shoot. Is that indeed the case?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Sex Cannon posted:

Some dude on BoLS commented on an article claiming that Leman Russes with Ordnance weapons can fire their hull/sponson weapons at full BS if they fire before the ordnance weapon fires because the rulebook says that any weapon that fires after an ordnance weapon can only snap shoot. Is that indeed the case?

Pretty sure all of a unit's weapons technically fire at the same time.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
That's what I thought, too.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

quote:

However, a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make Snap Shots with its other weapons that turn.

Nothing in there about any sort of shooting order, BoLS dude is unsurprisingly full of poo poo.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

The Sex Cannon posted:

Someone was making this same argument on Reddit as well. It's dumb. They're dumb. GW rules are often confusing or contradictory, but they're not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
Does anyone have any good experience with getting custom unit insignia decals printed? I've seen a couple of articles about doing them yourself, but I'd rather drop the cash with a good company if anyone has experience with one.

• Locked thread