Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

It's actually p. easy doing a reverse wash on the Sleeves trim, you don't even need to paint within the lines. You just lay down some metallic, then some gloss, then black, then use a q tip dunked in alcohol to wipe the black paint off the raised detail.

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/04/gundam-building-101-reverse-wash-and.html

While I can't attest to the accuracy of this tutorial, it seems well-written and the dude generally seems to know what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mr. stefan posted:

It's actually p. easy doing a reverse wash on the Sleeves trim, you don't even need to paint within the lines. You just lay down some metallic, then some gloss, then black, then use a q tip dunked in alcohol to wipe the black paint off the raised detail.

That's way more complicated than I am capable of doing particularly because I'm not capable of painting in my current living situation.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Speaking of the Neo Zeong and Sleeves sleeves,

Finished painting the Sinanju today. Aside from the pebbled texture on the gun and a broken fuel tank, I'm pleased with how he turned out for my first paint job. Handpainting the gold trim took an entire day but it was rewarding work, even if I never want to do it again. Once I topcoat this guy, I'll start his big paper-tiger overcoat

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/04/gundam-building-101-reverse-wash-and.html

While I can't attest to the accuracy of this tutorial, it seems well-written and the dude generally seems to know what he's doing.

I can attest. I used this tutorial to do a reverse wash across the entirety of this beast, which absolutely required some kind of means to get the veiny blue of the skin:

I highly recommend three things that I would do now which I wish I knew when I did the seaQuest, which would have prevented the uneven application:

1) Do your Q-tip rubbing about 5ish-10ish minutes after applying your top color, rather than waiting until fully dry
2) Use a turpenoid lighter fluid - Ronsonol in the yellow container is one; enamel won't thin with alcohol and enamel thinner might take out the gloss coat
3) Q-Tip just started marketing precision Q-tips with a pointed end, which would allow for FAR greater control. I got a box of 170 at my local Stop & Shop, with the other Q-tips, for around $2ish and can send them if you cover costs, should you be unable to find 'em.
http://www.qtips.com/product/detail/115035/precision-tips

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure I still have that ol' blue dildo packed away in a box somewhere. It's the sort of thing that'll really make you appreciate the engineering of Japanese kits.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thanks for making me aware of this, holy poo poo I did not want to pay like 9x as much for Tamiya

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just spent like a solid half hour, minimum, assembling MG Unicorn's waist. This kit is DOPE.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

I just spent like a solid half hour, minimum, assembling MG Unicorn's waist. This kit is DOPE.

prepare to be disappointed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I hope you realize just how hosed the articulation, or rather the lack thereof, is in that kit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Note pieces I2 and I8 (the very first thing in the instructions) have two distinct positions in their joint. This one joint is the source of a lot of the waist complaints in Destroy mode.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mr. stefan posted:

I hope you realize just how hosed the articulation, or rather the lack thereof, is in that kit.

He bought a loving Neo-Zeong, think about it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He bought a loving Neo-Zeong, think about it.

I said it earlier but stop hating on big red. I haven't heard any complaints about it's engineering.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Monaghan posted:

I said it earlier but stop hating on big red. I haven't heard any complaints about it's engineering.

I just hate on big red because it's $300 and looks really ugly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Please don't purchase shame tia.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mr. stefan posted:

The purpose of this kit is to sit on my shelf on an action base and look baller as heck with a bunch of guns. It will succeed at this by having a bunch of guns

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The purpose of this kit is to sit on my shelf on an action base and look baller as heck with a bunch of guns. It will succeed at this by having a bunch of guns

For the love of loving God, DO NOT put all of the FA weapons on Unicorn. I have horror photos of what happened to mine when my action base gave out and my FA Unicorn took a 3-foot drop off my shelf.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Please don't purchase shame tia.

lol for real, we are all buying plastic action figures, dont be making GBS threads on dickeye cause he bought one of the biggest toys and u mad jelly. jnust poo poo on him when he keeps telling newppl to buy it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

For the love of loving God, DO NOT put all of the FA weapons on Unicorn. I have horror photos of what happened to mine when my action base gave out and my FA Unicorn took a 3-foot drop off my shelf.

Glue the action base stable. :ssh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

madpanda posted:

lol for real, we are all buying plastic action figures, dont be making GBS threads on dickeye cause he bought one of the biggest toys and u mad jelly. jnust poo poo on him when he keeps telling newppl to buy it.

For real though people should get it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

madpanda posted:

It's more that he recommends it constantly, to the point where he almost seems like a spambot.
I don't think BlitzBlast even talks about the Gundam X as much as he does the Neo Zeong.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Thanks for making me aware of this, holy poo poo I did not want to pay like 9x as much for Tamiya

If you (or anyone else) can't find it just PM me, I'll send happily.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

It's more that he recommends it constantly, to the point where he almost seems like a spambot.
I don't think BlitzBlast even talks about the Gundam X as much as he does the Neo Zeong.

I'm also not being serious when I recommend it, lighten up, Francis.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm actually gonna back BlitzBlast up here by saying that the MG Gundam X is baller as gently caress because the satellite cannon is loving sweet. And I've only seen like 10 episodes of Gundam X, too.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm actually gonna back BlitzBlast up here by saying that the MG Gundam X is baller as gently caress because the satellite cannon is loving sweet. And I've only seen like 10 episodes of Gundam X, too.

For every Gundam X comment I think BlitzBlast has another Gundam X kit added to their backlog.
And yeah, it's pretty cool for a primary protagonist suit.

Speaking of, is there a decent version of the V2 out? That thing looks utterly ridiculous and I kinda want one.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 18, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HGUC V2 is good, though it's a bit chunkier than it should be and lacks Wings of Light. Also it has a really loose waist for some reason.

If you want to go 1/100, the old 1994 HG 1/100 V2s actually aren't that bad, all things considered. V2AB is a loving mess, of course, but the base V2 is solid.

Also just wait till Friday when I get to post my updated Gundam X backlog. :getin:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - :argh:

For every Gundam X comment I think BlitzBlast has another Gundam X kit added to their backlog.
And yeah, it's pretty cool for a primary protagonist suit.

Speaking of, is there a decent version of the V2 out? That thing looks utterly ridiculous and I kinda want one.

There's the HGUC V2. That's about as good as you're going to get - http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN985143/Gun

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For real though MG Unicorn is a dope build and I am enjoying it greatly. It's getting my body ready for Sazabi at Christmas.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I just wanted to say thanks for linking that reverse wash tutorial, I'm going through Rozen Zulu and it will really help.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What's fuckin' bonkers about that is AFAIK, there's a HG Gundam X, Double X and Airmaster, and a MG Gundam X. I don't know of any others besides the vintage ones.

At least I'm not one of those guys with a million unicorns. I swear to never do that. Why do you people have like 10 versions of the unicorn? Is one not enough? I'm gonna have 1 Unicorn, then never get the Banshee, Phenex or Full Armor and actually get different models.

I do have a Zaku 2.0 in both green and char flavors as well as a Gouf which is 70% the same kit but Zakus rule, man. I'm trying to avoid the Shin Matsunaga, Johnny Ridden and Zaku cannon because I've already built that kit thrice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sacrifices must be made in the name of FA Unicorn Plan B.

Speaking of that, guess who totally hosed up painting the Armed Armor BS? I tried stripping and then repriming, but it still looks a little uneven. :negative:

Oh well, at least on the actual FA Plan B it's the one armed armor that isn't transformed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MJP posted:

If you (or anyone else) can't find it just PM me, I'll send happily.

It is on Amazon as a add-on item, 8 bucks for 510 swabs

NICE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gammatron 64 posted:

What's fuckin' bonkers about that is AFAIK, there's a HG Gundam X, Double X and Airmaster, and a MG Gundam X. I don't know of any others besides the vintage ones.

At least I'm not one of those guys with a million unicorns. I swear to never do that. Why do you people have like 10 versions of the unicorn? Is one not enough? I'm gonna have 1 Unicorn, then never get the Banshee, Phenex or Full Armor and actually get different models.

I do have a Zaku 2.0 in both green and char flavors as well as a Gouf which is 70% the same kit but Zakus rule, man. I'm trying to avoid the Shin Matsunaga, Johnny Ridden and Zaku cannon because I've already built that kit thrice.

I actively try to avoid double dipping. Working on Shelf Part Deux is gonna hurt me in that regard.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Also just wait till Friday when I get to post my updated Gundam X backlog. :getin:

Can you, like, build the thing by heart by now?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Irisize posted:

I'm now envisioning one of those scenes where the gun-nut character can put a weapon together blindfolded, only substituting a Gundam X for the gun.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There was a time in the early '90s when I almost never looked at the instructions while building Gunpla, but things were a little different back then.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Irisize posted:

Hey, only... 1/3rd of my backlog is the same kit.
yes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Having just finished the HG Destiny as the second gunpla I've ever built, I'll throw in a recommendation for it as a good starter one. It's hard to gently caress it up, has few fiddly bits, looks decently detailed, and because the Destiny is a silly rear end gundam with a ton of weapons and features there's a lot you can do with it. You can also use the big sword as a kickstand because the thing is ridiculously unbalanced if you actually attach the wings of light and slap on every possible add-on because why wouldn't you?

The only issue I have with it is that the hands don't grasp things that well and the yellow bits on the backs of the hands are a bit loose.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Got a HG System Base a while back, and finally got around to building it. And, well, there's only one thing I can really put on it.

Oh wow that lighting is way too bright.

It takes some finangling, but you can fit everything but the extra shields and the boosters. And those you could either put to the side of the Unicorn or just have standing right next to the whole thing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What is the name of this machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A quick search turns up the Schuzrum-Galluss