Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

I'll preface this by saying that my love for hot sauce borders autism.
That's more accurate at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just shared on my FB feed.

http://www.tickld.com/funny/t/1063636

These are clearly just repackaged corny jokes but ughn the lovely title and insistence that they're real made me angry.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Wait, who eats in a grocery store?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The employees mostly, from what I've seen. Which is the only thing I'd believe from that.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Around sauce tossing distance of a customer's baby?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Who the hell puts hot sauce on a salad?

Maybe, MAYBE a little bit or sriracha or sambal on a Chinese chicken salad, but good lord even in the richest meatiest most dairy sauced salad possible putting Dave's on it is just overkill. At least make it "my crappy frozen enchiladas" or something plausible :(

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Maybe one of those little two-tables-and-a-soda-fountain "cafe" areas next to the deli?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
E: oops

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Just shared on my FB feed.

http://www.tickld.com/funny/t/1063636

These are clearly just repackaged corny jokes but ughn the lovely title and insistence that they're real made me angry.

Actually... believe it or not, I've come across the 'catering' one in transcripts before. Also a rather funny exchange between ground staff and flights at La Guardia regarding rats on the ramp and first class meals.

Some of the others though... no. Especially the last one.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

JGdmn posted:

Wait, who eats in a grocery store?

Sad people with no lives. A store with a cafe area and a kitchen that cooks hot meals is cheaper than a restaurant. Swear to god there's a family that eats lunch and/or dinner at my store several times a week.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I guess the part of me that has shame would say I was eating at a cafe or a deli.

You know while somewhat reveling in the fact that I caused harm to an infant.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Anyone who has even rubbed a small amount of chilli in there eyes by accident knows how awful it is, so after causing pretty serious injuries to a baby he still walks of with his salad and hot sauce in hand?

epopt
Feb 12, 2008

fronkpies posted:

Anyone who has even rubbed a small amount of chilli in there eyes by accident knows how awful it is, so after causing pretty serious injuries to a baby he still walks of with his salad and hot sauce in hand?

Especially Dave's Insanity Sauce, a mere speck of that poo poo in the eye can bring a grown man to his knees.

I could almost believe this one happened, due to the way the author makes himself sound like a complete asshat in the story... but then I read the part about getting reddit gold for it and that tells me this poo poo definitely didn't happen.

Are you that desperate for upvotes and attention that you'd make up a story where you sound like a complete shitlord? At least pepper it with smug comebacks and witty bon mots, maybe toss one over your shoulder as you ride off on your rascal scooter with a wave, or something. But no, you choose to seek attention by making up a story about accidentally harming a child and then dumping coconut water on the kid's face (with chunks) and slinking off into the crowd with a mumble. That's how badly you crave them internet points? :smith:

seriously, gently caress reddit.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

epopt posted:

Are you that desperate for upvotes and attention that you'd make up a story where you sound like a complete shitlord? At least pepper it with smug comebacks and witty bon mots, maybe toss one over your shoulder as you ride off on your rascal scooter with a wave, or something. But no, you choose to seek attention by making up a story about accidentally harming a child and then dumping coconut water on the kid's face (with chunks) and slinking off into the crowd with a mumble. That's how badly you crave them internet points? :smith:

seriously, gently caress reddit.

But lmao kids are dumb and stupid and anyone who cares about them is a dumb stupid breeder lol he sure showed that stupid kid and the stupid mom lol so glad I can vicariously live out my own manchild hatred of children through another internet manchild

I don't know, man, that's the only "demographic" I could think these stories are meant to appeal to.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

fronkpies posted:

Pretty serious injuries? What do you think the hospital did apart from 'rinse out eyes and wait'?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

jabby posted:

Pretty serious injuries? What do you think the hospital did apart from 'rinse out eyes and wait'?

I'm not a doctor, so I think we have something in common.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

capsaicin is pretty harmless.

Unless you inhale it and have asthma.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Ok pretty serious might have been a little dramatic but I work in kitchens and have seen a couple of people have terrible skin rashes for days of chillis

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

This guys entire account is all poo poo that didn't happen but this one really takes it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/VORwKcx

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I'm not a doctor, so I think we have something in common.

I am actually a doctor. To the best of my knowledge there is no antidote or treatment for chili in the eyes besides rinsing them and waiting.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Comma Chameleon posted:

This guys entire account is all poo poo that didn't happen but this one really takes it.

Jesus Christ he's uploaded six of these in the last day. :psyduck:

SonomaChef, if you're reading this, please get help. You are officially addicted to gullible people on the internet patting you on the back for exacting imaginary petty revenge.
We're worried about you. Also a little annoyed, but mostly worried.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Biplane posted:

It's funny because disney cast members can not under any circumstances grab guests.

I actually sorta did get manhandled by a Disney character about ten years ago--I was 13, and my sister was only about 7 or 8. She got her picture taken with that drat raccoon from Pocahontas (Meeko, I think), and since I hated getting my picture taken I just sorta stood behind my parents--but the dumbass ran around behind them, grabbed my arm, and posed with me. The smile I'm wearing in that picture isn't so much a smile as it is a grimace.

It's me, I'm the STDH.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tunicate posted:

capsaicin is pretty harmless.

Unless you inhale it and have asthma.

At high concentrations it can be quite dangerous and cause cell damage.

jabby posted:

I am actually a doctor. To the best of my knowledge there is no antidote or treatment for chili in the eyes besides rinsing them and waiting.

Vanilla extract works. Capsaicin is alcohol soluble and vanillin can somewhat block it by binding to the same receptors. Though I guess you wouldn't want to put that in someone's eyes. Casein does a pretty good job too. Rinse thoroughly with milk. Vanilla milk if you've got it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah sure, high doses and high concentrations of just about anything will kill you, but if you're talking hot sauce the bottle is 95% water already.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
http://imgur.com/gallery/T4KWZDx

I hate some people

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Comma Chameleon posted:

Can someone explain this one to me? What was the kids mustang doing in the OP's driveway? Was the guy buying a kid who trashed his bike a mustang, only to take it away for the kicks?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MinistryofLard posted:

Can someone explain this one to me? What was the kids mustang doing in the OP's driveway? Was the guy buying a kid who trashed his bike a mustang, only to take it away for the kicks?

As the story said, the parents had bought the mustang as a surprise, and parked it in his driveway to hide it from the kid.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Vanilla extract works. Capsaicin is alcohol soluble and vanillin can somewhat block it by binding to the same receptors. Though I guess you wouldn't want to put that in someone's eyes. Casein does a pretty good job too. Rinse thoroughly with milk. Vanilla milk if you've got it.

A quick google reveals that eye damage from pepper spray is rare enough to make into a case study, and even that healed fine with minimal intervention. And that was from pepper spray, not hot sauce.

Also studies show that all the suggestions for various fluids to get rid of pepper spray burn make no difference. Water works as well as milk.

So while I can't believe we are still discussing this when it clearly didn't happen, hot sauce in the eye is incredibly unlikely to do anything but hurt for a while. An ambulance is overkill and the hospital wouldn't do anything but rinse and observe.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

jabby posted:

A quick google reveals that eye damage from pepper spray is rare enough to make into a case study, and even that healed fine with minimal intervention. And that was from pepper spray, not hot sauce.

Also studies show that all the suggestions for various fluids to get rid of pepper spray burn make no difference. Water works as well as milk.

So while I can't believe we are still discussing this when it clearly didn't happen, hot sauce in the eye is incredibly unlikely to do anything but hurt for a while. An ambulance is overkill and the hospital wouldn't do anything but rinse and observe.

Ah, well learn something new every day. Guess it's one of those things where the science sounds like it should work but in reality just doesn't, or at least not to a significant degree.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I know Troper Tales is cheating, but man that's a lot of poo poo to sift through and if you look, you can find some real gems.

Combat Pragmatism posted:

This troper practices with a boken outside on a regular basis and developed a reputation for being a KnightInShiningArmor because of it. Some local toughs thought it would be a good idea to rough me up to show that that they were the biggest and baddest around. Multiple and assorted dirty tricks later they remembered a forgotten appointment.
I think I saw this idiot out in that little field near the intersection last time I lived here.

quote:

This troper all the way. First fight she got in, she grabbed the hand mirror next to her, shattered it, threw the shards at the attacker and then presumed to grab the nearest hair spray bottle andbeat the attacker in the head with it. It ended with her forcing his arm behind his back. It was awesome.

quote:

this troper is setting himself up for this. He currently , whenever a situation starts looking ugly, reaches for his pocketknife. That motion alone shuts people up. When he reaches 21 He'll be getting his concealed weapons permit, a Sig-Sauer p229, and a hip holster. Then we all know what he'll be reaching for...
Yeah, that's not a good way to get ventilated at all!

Dunno what trope, didn't pay attention posted:

Even more frightening, at least to this troper, is his tendency to have conversations ''with himself''. Even debates and arguments (which he loses with depressing frequency). His journal makes fascinating reading, as it is written from the point of view of his dominant personality fragment at the time of writing...which can change inside the same entry. He's even used the journal as a vehicle to have a conversation with himself.

quote:

As a side effect of his eidetic memory, this Troper frequently has flashbacks when under similar circumstances as he was when he first experienced the thing being flashed back to.
Nobody has been proven to have true eidetic memory, over the age of 12. And it's definitely not what you think it is, dude.

quote:

I used a dead baby joke in geometry to help a student understand rotations: "How do you get a baby to crawl in a circle? ... Nail one hand to the floor." Cue the entire class laughing so hard they can't breathe. My teacher's response? "Thats... horrible!" while trying to hold back her laughter. The look on her face is what really sold it as a CrowningMomentOfFunny, especially since absolutely no one in the room, not even the class clowns, had ever told a joke that dark, and no one dared to match it. Probably the only reason I was not punished at all was that before that point everybody had thought I was a serious student who was mildly rude on occasion to certain unliked people, and it came out of gorramn nowhere.
That's... not funny at all. And it also didn't happen!

An Anime Character posted:

This troper plays with it, first appearing to be a bit of a dumb type, but that's because DumbIsGood nowadays. But if you bully my friends, well, I cannot guarantee I will be so gentle to you. You see,I have trained a while in how to utterly dismantle my enemy's will to fight through a series of attacks which cause them extreme pain. Over here in a gang pit, its really quite essential.

And one last one, for the road:

If you didn't groan out loud before, you'll groan at this posted:

I'm smart. Genius-level IQ. I'm in Mensa. Do I tell anyone this at work? No. I work a blue-collar job. You could call me an almighty front desk attendant. I only hold an associates degree. I don't want to finish college, I like what I do and I'm happy - Lots of time to read in my job. However I can't sayI'm smart, though lots of people point it out. People would think I'm lording it over them. My managers will think I'm vying for their jobs.I get barraged with questions about why aren't I a college professor,and I should go to college. I'll volunteer some bit of info about physics or something obscure and get asked "How would you even know that?" So I like being smart and all, but it's a bit of a curse, too.
This guy didn't even try to be humble. Obviously this didn't happen, because smart people don't go to TVTropes.

poo poo that DID happen: I wasted two hours picking through all this bullshit (:downs:) and groaned out loud at least six times.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"I only hold an associates degree" says somebody who has no idea what it is besides something they saw in a TV ad for night schools and assumed it was something for people who didn't finish college.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Stories like that last one are funny, because even if it's true, that just means the person who wrote it outed himself out as a piece of poo poo who wasted all good opportunities in life... and despite his potential he has to work in a lovely job with a worthless diploma hanging in his office.

But of course that didn't even happen, so I can imagine this "troper" being even more pathetic in real life.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Oh man, someone else found some INCREDIBLE ones back when the Troper Tales pages were still up (some are missing from the documents):

quote:

This troper has limited empathic abilities, I mean, yeah, I can read peoples' thoughts to a certain degree and I can even drain energy from my surroundings into myself, but I can also feel peoples' physical pain. And I can read. peoples. thoughts. Think about the implications of that a bit. Now think about how I found out my last girlfriend cheated on me.

-Hello fellow empath. You're not alone. I hate to tell you, but as you get older and stronger it's only going to get worse. This troper has known several empaths who suffer the same thing, himself included. I come from a family of pretty strong empaths. High school sucked because of it. I could tell once when one of my friends was ridiculously amorous. I could feel it without even looking at her. Feeling people's physical pain too can make you sick. On one occasion, when a member of my school died in a car crash, I didn't even know the girl, and yet I was absorbing all the depression from the entire school. I felt like I was walking through mud the entire day. My friends claimed it was like I was acting like a shield and absorbing all the negativity so they wouldn't be affected.

-If we're going to venture into empathic territory, might I recommend learning to shield? Even if it's complete BS, it can't hurt.

-Second poster again. Trust me, it's not BS. It's the only way I survived Highschool without a massive psychotic break.

-Not empathic powers per se, but this troper has some psychic ability, namely forms of clairvoyance and aura-sense, and believe me, it is quite different from what those fakers claim. Such things can be useful in advising people, but he prefers to be stealthy about it to avert the You Have To Believe Me trope, and he only advises people such as his family (his mother is very spiritual, and his father is sort-of open to the possibility) with information gleaned through such methods. He has been having low-level visions of some sort of personal destiny, started by strange dreams, for the past eighteen months or so about some sort of future outlook which this troper would prefer not to elaborate on, except that even though it is a favourable i.e. relatively happy outcome, it is very different from his boring present and while he knows the events and possibilities of precursory events he can't pinpoint when. This hasn't been lifelong as such - the potential was likely there from the beginning but it took certain bad relationships and other events to awaken it more fully. But this troper is thankful he isn't living in the Deep South or similarly ultra-Christian area, otherwise he'd be fleeing riled-up mobs led by preachers with Torches And Pitchforks, or in an area where worse could happen, the ol' Burn The Witch type thing (though this troper is sort-of henotheistic but bordering on polytheism, but not Wiccan, funnily enough...), especially since he once saw a Roman Catholic priest's aura as showing he was possibly an unwitting agent for an evil red-eyed being from beyond death itself seen overlapping the priest's aura...

"I'm going to hell for this" seems to be mostly people trying to prove how hard they are. posted:

This troper, who considers himself a comedian, often has loud, off-colour conversations in the hallway of his high school with his friends. Said conversations are peppered with jokes about cripples, suicide, pot shots at my one black friend (who enjoys such jokes wholeheartedly, mind you), the flaws in organized religion, etc. Not to mention the fact that I am an atheist, an avid fan of George Carlin and Penn & Teller, I constantly swear like a man who dropped a bowling ball on his foot, and find every single Funny Aneurysm Moment throughout history to be completely hilarious. Kneel at the feet of the master, heathens. (Come to think of it, I would consider the trope title to be a Catch Phrase of mine.)

I definitely did these things posted:

This troper used to be very paranoid, though he's since beat it, without seeing a psychiatrist for help (which I'm very proud of. Seems you just need the right motivation and enough willpower). I'm now over most of my problems, but during the worst of it, I learnt to create weapons out of the most mundane objects, though thankfully I never actually used them on a living creature. My creations (all made from bits and pieces in the shed and my father's big pile of electronics) include:
A captive bolt gun.
A pnuematic speargun, firing sharpened rebar rods.
A crude musket, unrifled and inaccurate, and fueled by homemade gunpowder.
A prototype railgun, very low-powered unfortunately.
An Assassin's Creed-style knife rig that could be strapped to a forearm. Making the mechanism tough enough, yet light and concealable, was a problem I never quite solved.
Ther were others, but those spring to mind as the most impressive and memorable. I still make things occasionally, when I'm very bored and I have the shed to myself.

And now something I really HOPE is STDH! :stonk:

what the loving hell posted:

This troper has been faced with the dilemma of what to do when the child hits first. Due to being subjected to playground violence as a child, being hit by someone tends to make me react violently and instantly, without thinking. I'm in my early twenties now and have a niece who's a toddler that thinks she can get her way by hitting people who are much bigger and stronger than she is. It is exceedingly hard not to react violently back, but I do try not to give in to my urges to chokeslam her every time she hits me. He doesn't want to, and it's a reflex he's trying to unlearn.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Noyemi K posted:

Oh man, someone else found some INCREDIBLE ones back when the Troper Tales pages were still up (some are missing from the documents)

[ psychic tropers ]

And that's how these tropers discovered their latent mental abilities illnesses!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Oh man, okay, okay, one last one, and then I'm done with the Dom Tropen Tales:

ahhhh yesss that good poo poo posted:

This troper inverts this. He is quite handsome (think something between Sharurkh-khan and George Clooney) whenever people take the time to notice it. He avoids the noticing by being a geeky Shrinking Violet and willingly invokes Loners are Freaks, for example by always eating alone in the cafeteria. He also behaves, talks and uses face faults like an Anime character, which is helped by him havin facial elasticity on par with Jim Carrey. Add to this Insufferable Genius, Tall Dark and Snarky and Brilliant But Lazy tendencies, coupled with being a Love Freak and The Ditz and having Chronic Hero Syndrome and the Cape's mentality, and using Spock Speak by default except when combining it with Sophisticated as Hell and you get such a complicated, noisy, confusing mess the handsomeness is only noticeable when I'm gazing at the window or sleeping...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

Oh man, okay, okay, one last one, and then I'm done with the Dom Tropen Tales:

Idk why it's taken me so long to realize that basically every troper is a narcissist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Noyemi K posted:

Yeah, that's not a good way to get ventilated at all!

truly there's nothing more intimidating than a pocketknife

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

What the gently caress does "light deems" mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What the gently caress does "light deems" mean?

I think it's supposed to mean "dims" but the writer is trying to be funny/have a funny accent? I don't really have any idea what was going on in that exchange at all, does it read to anyone else like someone badly translating something into English?

• Locked thread