Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
But before you did that were you seeing the end game phenomenon of literally 90% of the cars near you being the same model? I understand the kind of cars will change as you travel, but the difference between how many different models are in town in the early game vs end game is pretty extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Simeon/Franklin/Lamar relationship at the top of the game is pretty unique and worked, why couldn't they figure out how to set up more situations like that?

I was really excited about the idea that Franklin would have like a part time job, I thought that would be a cool system, where you could drop by the office and do randomized car pickups and give Franklin something to ground him to the gameworld. Then I got excited when Franklin and Lamar lampoon the entire concept of GTA mission structure, and I thought they were gonna do a whole new narrative structure. But nope, then Franklin gets fired and he spends the rest of the game doing rear end in a top hat missions.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But before you did that were you seeing the end game phenomenon of literally 90% of the cars near you being the same model? I understand the kind of cars will change as you travel, but the difference between how many different models are in town in the early game vs end game is pretty extreme.

No, not really. Admittedly I was driving weird poo poo like motorcycles and cop cars, so if 90% of the vehicles were those it'd be strange. Also I was driving a tractor and weaving back and forth to hold up traffic on the highway, but I guess there were a lot trucks. You sure it isn't just a mission thing and it's scripting? Like if you start a new game and just run around is there more diversity? From a technical standpoint that would make no sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's always how GTA has worked for some reason. If you drive a car, you'll see a large volume of that car around. It was most noticeable in GTA 4, when if you hopped in a taxi then taxis would start showing up loving everywhere. It's a weird phenomenon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Brightman posted:

No, not really. Admittedly I was driving weird poo poo like motorcycles and cop cars, so if 90% of the vehicles were those it'd be strange. Also I was driving a tractor and weaving back and forth to hold up traffic on the highway, but I guess there were a lot trucks. You sure it isn't just a mission thing and it's scripting? Like if you start a new game and just run around is there more diversity? From a technical standpoint that would make no sense.

I'm not sure, I've pretty much lost that old save. It's not even usually the car I'm driving, it's just some random model with like 10 different colors waiting at all the lights at an intersection. My new game definitely doesn't do this as bad as my old cleared out save, but it's CONSTANT on my end-game save. I've seen other people post screenshots here of the same thing happening but I have zero idea why it happens.

CJacobs posted:

That's always how GTA has worked for some reason. If you drive a car, you'll see a large volume of that car around. It was most noticeable in GTA 4, when if you hopped in a taxi then taxis would start showing up loving everywhere. It's a weird phenomenon.

But the thing is as far as I remember everything from early to mid game in my last playthrough worked pretty much like every other GTA: Cars that are in the area repeat a bit (or sometimes a lot). What I'm talking about is literally 90% of the cars near you being one model. Like all Escalades in different colors. Much worse than anything I saw in 4 and I was playing 4 pretty regularly until 5 came out.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 12, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CJacobs posted:

Sounds like a programming trick to keep RAM usage down. Multiple instances of the same "thing" loaded at the same time requires less RAM than lots of different things loaded at the same time, whatever those things are. The car you're driving is already loaded into memory, so it's likely also always loaded into the current car spawn list.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Someone explains exactly why that happens every few pages of every gta thread we've had since the ps2 games. It's a memory thing. I doubt you'll see it in the next Gen version.

It's fluid and scales up and down. As the game runs out of memory the availabe pool of cars stored it can spawn gets smaller. Your own is always in it. If the game frees up some memory the pool opens up again and it gets some other cars ready. Probably safe to assume your end gave save is so big it reduces that size further.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 12, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's not that I don't understand why it's happening, I don't understand why it's sooooo bad in the end game. What's hogging up all that RAM?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Devin Weston's hair gel.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's not that I don't understand why it's happening, I don't understand why it's sooooo bad in the end game. What's hogging up all that RAM?
Memory leaks, multiple copies of dead variables, trash data from the cache, take your pick.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I believe that they allocate memory in such a way that as you progress, the game will gradually start having to allocate so much that it has to start cutting corners to keep things running. Likely because the game is massive and stores a ton of variables and content that can't all just be removed and reloaded as you go.

A game of such complexity as GTA V is almost impossible to make perfectly efficient.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That sucks. I can't think of many variables I would care about more than being able to free roam after the game is over without seeing something really dumb like that. I guess I should just make a 2nd copy of the save I have now for when I'm in the "drive around listening to the radio obeying traffic laws" mood.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm replaying the SP game at the moment...and I'm starting to think they went overboard frontloading the good stuff like Houser mentioned in that interview. All the Lamar love comes mostly from 2 classic scenes right of the top of the game and the Jimmy/Boat rescue mission is the best one-off mission in the entire game imo.

I mean there's fun stuff to do down the road but at some point they take all the character agency and interesting scenes out and it starts feeling like the regular ol "Oh no I'm in debt/trouble, guess I have to work for a guy I hate who I always talk poo poo to when I visit".

The Simeon/Franklin/Lamar relationship at the top of the game is pretty unique and worked, why couldn't they figure out how to set up more situations like that?

I agree about the the setup with Simeon being kinda interesting (I guess they decided to use him mostly for GTAO) but the boat mission is basically just a glorified cutscene? All you do is drive behind it and shoot a guy once. It did a good job of establishing the dynamic between Michael, Franklin and Jimmy, but the actual gameplay was minimal.

The missions don't really start getting too interesting or involved until the heist and the introduction of Trevor (I love the airfield mission where you snipe guys while Ron sneaks around).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That sucks. I can't think of many variables I would care about more than being able to free roam after the game is over without seeing something really dumb like that. I guess I should just make a 2nd copy of the save I have now for when I'm in the "drive around listening to the radio obeying traffic laws" mood.

You're making me want to test this. I think I have a save that's a third of the way in, like maybe third heist, but I'm not sure. Might have to start a new game and that's not super motivating for this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree about the the setup with Simeon being kinda interesting (I guess they decided to use him mostly for GTAO) but the boat mission is basically just a glorified cutscene? All you do is drive behind it and shoot a guy once. It did a good job of establishing the dynamic between Michael, Franklin and Jimmy, but the actual gameplay was minimal.

It fooled me well enough the first time around. You also have that part where you have to drive under Jimmy hanging over traffic which was pretty cool. It might just be a cutscene that you drive around but I thought they gave you juuuuuuuust enough freedom to make it feel right. Pretty much all the scripted car chases are wonderful when they work right*, but none of the others seem to have that level of action going on. Plus the first time you see the boat fly by on the cross-street is a great moment.

*I think my favorite one is when you're chasing the lady who has the original can of your film to and through the airport. When you hit the scripted beats the way they expect you to that whole chase is incredible. I still think the boat is the better mission though because there was a lot of interesting poo poo happening on the boat and with Franklin climbing onto the hood.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 12, 2014

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I enjoyed the early game Franklin mission where you end up having to shoot your way out of a drug deal alongside Lamar and Stretch. On the drive over Franklin accurately calls that the deal will go wrong because they always do, and his reaction is great when he sees that the buyer is the guy who Lamar just kidnapped. Franklin was at his best when Lamar was around and they could have made Stretch more of an actual antagonist if they built up their rivalry more before they moved Frank out of the hood. Instead you see him once and he's an "oh yeah, that guy" when he's brought up at the end again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, Rockstar really dropped the ball with Franklin. It's like "oh hey let's call back to GTA: SA, except let's gently caress it up and here's Trevor! Frank who?"

like, they should've done a better job with him on his own and him and Lamar and then developed his relationship with Michael and Trevor better. But without developing Franklin as Franklin first it all fell kinda flat.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I feel like there had to be a ton of Franklin content that got cut somewhere. The whole thing with the girl he has a crush on isn't even half baked. It's like they just forgot to take out the references to it and the one scene where he runs into her.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Are we still spoiler tagging? Ah, oh well.

gently caress Tanisha, what a flat-bitch character. What is her point? She says "~god i hate violence~ now go kill people to save your friend"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
There's actually a few optional phone conversations that fill in more of the Stretch/Lamar thing that are really easy to miss because they bug out half the time and there's no real indication they're there. Like, either just before or after the first heist Franklin can randomly call Lamar and tell him he's through hanging out with them because he's rolling with professionals now, and after the Grove Street shootout he can call Lamar to make sure he's okay and call Stretch who blames him for bringing some crazy white guy along that messed up the deal.

It's bizarre how many little things like that they put in the game to fill in the gaps that are missed by probably 99% of players, because it's completely counterintuitive to even bother when over half the numbers in your phone aren't used even once.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I never heard Jimmy's outgoing voicemail message until yesterday haha

"Yo you've reached jazzy j, jizzle, j-dawg, the Jayster...and uhhh I guess I should also say James DeSantos in case this is in regards to a doctors appointment or reservation..."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are we still spoiler tagging? Ah, oh well.

gently caress Tanisha, what a flat-bitch character. What is her point? She says "~god i hate violence~ now go kill people to save your friend"

She is there to basically fill the role of Sweet.

Oh hey, you left the game, but your friend was a dumbass and still trusts people you told him not to, go risk your life to save your friend.

Granted, it was worth it if only for the hilarious conversation Lamar has with Trevor later.

"You sound like someone's bitch who ain't called. OOH, he lied to me"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
According to a stream from a guy who got the game early, the Blista Compact is back in the next-gen versions.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

According to a stream from a guy who got the game early, the Blista Compact is back in the next-gen versions.

Looks that way....

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Pirate Jet posted:

Any links? I'm guessing this won't be taken down with the magnitude that the previous generation GTA V leak streams had.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Pirate Jet posted:

I was about to link that, the Croatian right? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931855
Someone potatoed two minutes from that non-archived stream: quickly DMCA'd by T2

Viewers reactions: Getting hit by a car and tumbling in first person is sick / emerging from water and seeing a plane flying above is awesome / robberies+executions are sick

Streamer was a poo poo player, you can tell it to firstperson but thirdperson in cars as a setting or whatever you want + sound gets cut while streaming because of all the licensed music (I guess I can stream this on Hitbox with my expernal hardware to prevent Twitch's software from murdering my account from thirdparty-hits),

Kittens on land, orcas in the sea, will stream more at 10am CET he said (7h20m from this post)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 13, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

MrLonghair posted:

I was about to link that, the Croatian right? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931855
Someone potatoed two minutes from that non-archived stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8otkOjiECEw

Viewers reactions: Getting hit by a car and tumbling in first person is sick / emerging from water and seeing a plane flying above is awesome / robberies+executions are sick

Streamer was a poo poo player, you can tell it to firstperson but thirdperson in cars as a setting or whatever you want + sound gets cut while streaming because of all the licensed music (I guess I can stream this on Hitbox with my expernal hardware to prevent Twitch's software from murdering my account from thirdparty-hits),

Kittens on land, orcas in the sea, will stream more at 10am CET he said (7h20m from this post)

CAAAAAAAAATS.

Looks like the video already got bounced though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Anyone got a stream? Also any intel yet on what, if anything, will be different in the PC version vs. next-gen console?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

quote:

Song leaks:
Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off
Genesis - Land of Confusion
Smokey Robinson - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Courtesy of GTAForums

More songs that people saw
Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight
- Golden Earring - Radar Love

Oh boy I hope it's a midnight unlock

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Also from the GAF thread. drat.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

welp, i guess thats a reason not to kill civilians in first person.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus Christ that has such a different feel in first person. I can't wait but someone in that thread nailed it "this right here made me feel weird about gta for the first time" loving dark

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 13, 2014

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus gently caress that's brutal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Counting down the minutes until a news headline from some dumb "games journalism" site compares first person GTA to that school shooting game that was touted about recently. Hatred, I think it was called? Something really edgy.

edit: Oh, it isn't specifically school shooting, it's just shooting in general. Like Postal 2 but without the self-awareness. So, Postal 1!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 13, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah that feels like way more blood than other first person shooters :stare:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

:stare: Why does it feel so much different?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

No words but drat

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
That's first person done right, alright.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:stare: Why does it feel so much different?

Because you gotta look into his eyesssssssss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Can't wait to shoot all of the innocent bystanders in first person mode now!

• Locked thread